what is the best protection/tool for my ghb

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

rule4

what is the best protection/tool for my ghb

Post by rule4 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:39 am

I have a question for my ghb/gear. Before a start please don't tell me I need to carry a gun. This is something I plan on leaving out in my truck all the time and I don't want to leave an unattended gun in my vehicle. Yes I know a gun is the best choice and that there are safes that can be secured in my truck but that's not something I'm interested in.

My ghb is very simple and lightweight. I'd like to have a hand tool to carry for both self defense and to serve as a useful hand tool. Weight is a concern for me so I don't want too carry more than I need to. Currently I have a small billy club with a weighted tip. It's a great weapon and it is very light to wield but other than being a club it serves no other purpose. Since I really don't plan on bonking someone on the head I think there might be a better option.

So if these were your choices what would you carry?
halligan: cons- very heavy, pros-it's wicked badass and can open anything

double bladed axe: cons- large and maybe too intimidating to look like im not a threat, pros- light weight, excellent threat deterrent

flat head axe: cons- large, pros- light weight and has both a cutting and blunt end

hatchet: cons- not very intimidating, pros- great tool with both a hammer and a cutting edge

billy club: cons- no other use than a weapon, pros- very light weight

and option number 5 is to carry none of the above. I do have a sheath knife in my bag but other than what I've seen in the movies I have no idea how to really use a knife as a weapon. In my hands I consider the knife a tool, not really a weapon.

Meat N' Taters

Re: what is the best protection/tool for my ghb

Post by Meat N' Taters » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:45 am

Check your local laws carefully before carrying things like billyclubs. How's about some OC Spray to start with? Maybe a big mag-lite, too. Hatchets and shit would be great for protection, but I'm not sure how it'd look to a jury if you had to use one.

rule4

Post by rule4 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:03 am

Meat N' Taters wrote:Check your local laws carefully before carrying things like billyclubs. How's about some OC Spray to start with? Maybe a big mag-lite, too. Hatchets and shit would be great for protection, but I'm not sure how it'd look to a jury if you had to use one.
I'd never use a weapon on another person unless it was life and death. I''d much rather run in the other direction. I'm not concerned with facing a jury. If it ever really came down to me using something I'd just be happy to be alive.

The billy club is legal. I do lots of ocean fishing and it's a club I bought at a tackle shop. I've used it a few times for getting eels off my line.

I do have a good sized mag-light in my ghb bag and actually the club is back in my fishing tackle bin since the photo was taken this am.

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:12 am

I carry a 12" wrecking bar in my GHB. That's pretty much all you need for prying open doors and windows for getting out/in of anywhere. Any kind of tool like that is suspect to law enforcement, especially during an incident event. Best to keep it small and put away.
I don't believe in karma.
Karma is just justice without satisfaction,
And I don't believe in justice.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:20 am

I've got a titanium crowbar in my GHB. (it was a gift, they're too pricey for me to spend my own money on) It's super light weight and fits nicely in the side pocket of my bag. It's long enough (I think 30") to be useful both as a tool or a makeshift weapon to defend myself.

But if you carry something like that in your car, or around on a hike you could be accused of having B&E (breaking and entering) tools. I've never had a problem personally, and I've had that bar on my bag for a half dozen mock bug outs in my town.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Frank

Post by Frank » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:12 am

a cold steel spetsnaz shovel would do the trick.
(mine with a custom handle and grip job)
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Option 6: a good machete.

First of all, in most short to medium term survival situations, this actually is about as practical as an axe or hatchet for your wood chopping needs. You're likely working with medium thickness branches and deadwood, not felling a tree.

Second, I would not put "light weight" in the advantages column for an axe, double-bladed or otherwise. Compared to an axe and even most hatchets, a machete truly is light weight.

Third, a machete is more practical for other survival functions, such as dressing game and gutting a fish. I wouldn't want to do either with an axe or hatchet.

Fourth, a machete is a more practical CQB weapon than an axe; easier (and much faster) to wield. (I know this from extensive experience using both in Left 4 Dead 2 :D )

I totally understand where you're coming from re: guns, and I also hear Rule4 about not actually using any weapon unless he had absolutely no other choice.

But there is something to be said for the intimidation factor, which can often deter combat in the first place (or the need to turn tail and run). All of these options are intimidating to some degree, but a machete wielding opponent is at or near the top of the (non-firearm) list.

I for one would not want to go up against anyone with a machete. In a real life or death situation however, if I might go after someone with an axe if I thought I could avoid his first swing.

T-Boon
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero FTW.

Post by T-Boon » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:16 pm

+1 for a big maglite !
Murph wrote:The mythical use of tampons to plug up bullet wounds was perpetuated by fanboys of Navy SEALS that heard they go out n get shot up, jam themselves full of kotex'es, hump 75lb rucks up hill both ways to and from the LZ, in monsoon rain, killing bad guys in hails of bullets shooting full auto from the hip,all the while chewin on a snake like beef jerky.

TAB
Favorite Zombie Movies: God has no favorites, why should I? There are so many, and so many different types of zombies, but here are some great ones that come to mind: "Evil Dead", "Re-animator", "Versus", and of course "Night of the Living Dead".

Post by TAB » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:42 pm

I would carry a pepperspray; effective, inexpensive, lightweight, and non-lethal. If you feel pepperspray is just not badass enough, then consider that it could serve dual-purpose as a breath freshener.
* Let it be known: Everything I say is only my own opinion except perhaps when I am quoting someone else.
Success is the realization that you are not only unique but also essential.
Ecoculture Village, a non-profit entity ~ rediscovering, rejuvenating, & reinventing
small rural communities… preparing, surviving, living!

Hachiman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness

Post by Hachiman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 pm

For lack of firearm, I would say either an e-tool, CS tomahawk or machete on my pack and a nice stout staff in my hand. You could also replace the staff with actual hiking poles, you know..the ones with the metal spikes on the bottom :wink:

Carrying a big bar or axe is going to be just like toting a longarm, yeah it will be there but your going to carry it a lot more than you use it.
~Hachi~

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140
brothaman wrote: you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.
ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

Ceddie

Post by Ceddie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:28 pm

I’d start with a LOUD whistle the last thing an attacker wants is attention.

This is a great option if you want to be totally under the radar:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... ?s=SWPENBK

if you want to be a little cutesy, I know a couple collage girls that will mess you up with one of these:
http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/Wild ... c-308.html

http://yoursafetyfirstproducts.com/

this makes a great walking stick (a slightly longer handle is nice both for walking and use.)

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Cold-St ... 82/Cat/158

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm assuming, from your use of the term 'truck', that you mean a pick up truck. If your bag is truly compact, it could fit behind the seat, safe, accessible, and out of sight. As to the weapon choices, I'd have to second the machete choice for overall versatility. close behind that, if you want something smaller, check out one of the roofing tools they sell now as a "survival tomahawk/hatchet"- it has several tool uses: Hammer, pry bar, nail puller, hatchet. The design makes for a difficult carry inside a pack, as it has many sharp corners and edges, but strapped onto the outside, it works pretty well. It's also versatile enough to be considered almost ANYTHING else except a weapon.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:47 pm

I'd double check on the legality of that "billy club" if you're gonna be carrying it on your person in any way. It may be a theoretically legal "eel club" but if you're not fishing, it's a weapon. Much like the "tire checkers" that you find in any truck stop on the road.

I don't see how anyone can define a double bit axe as a portable hand tool. I mean, yeah you carry it in your hands but seriously? If you plan on keeping it in your truck to be used to clear a road hazard that makes sense but to consider it as something you'd want to be carrying around with you on foot, you've got much better choices.

Like the machetes that have been mentioned by others. Large enough to do the job, small enough to fit in or onto a backpack or a belt sheath.

If the machete doesn't float your boat, the E tool/small shovel with one or more edges sharpened into a chopping blade would be my 2nd choice.
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:26 pm

A big, fat +1 to the pepper spray and Cold Steel Special Forces shovel.

Pepper spray for obvious reason...CS shovel for multi-purpose use, as well as a potential defense tool.

You probably won't get hassled by the law if you're carrying either, as well. Crowbar? Billy Club? Not so much. I know you said the club is originally for fishing purposes, but if you're away from the water and don't have a fishing rod in your hand, you'll probably have a tough time explaining it to the cops.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:08 pm

The CS Shovel has been very useul to me over the last couple of years.

Get one and keep it handy.

2now

Post by 2now » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:37 pm

I believe billy clubs are still a felony to possess in MA. Businesses selling, is NOT the same thing as an individual possessing.

Check MGL 268- 10 As I recall.

Machetes are great tools, and I use them all the time.
I am not sure they have the stopping power or an axe.

Assuming you can use all these tools equally, Look at a Boy's axe, or a hudson bay style axe, head weight should be about 2 lbs. If not that look at some of the tomahawks.

I do not think an axe is any slower or less deadly than a machete, IF you know how to use it. fighting with an axe is NOT like cutting wood.

But If you use one of these tools regularly look to that first. you will be most familiar with its heft and swing, if you already have some time in with it in your hand.

Be careful in MA, their weapons laws are all felonies, and not to be messed with!
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:02 pm

Pepperspray is your best bet, it's considered purely a defensive weapon, most can even be latched onto a keychain nowadays....

I don't know much about the laws in your state, but in virginia, and any state that has right to carry or decent ccw laws, But consider concealed carry, if it's not legal, that's a shame.

Then again, concealed carry is only effective on you at all times. And your absolutely right, never leave a firearm in a vehicle, it's simply too easy to steal.

What about a hiking stick, you can get an aluminum one from most sporting goods stores, fiberglass is just as well, lets face it, you wrap one of these against somebody's noggin, they won't forget it.

Again, I vote for cs. probably a few of them, one on a keychain, in your bob, whatever...

T-Rex
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sex in the City

Post by T-Rex » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:29 pm

If your purpose is to make it home without your truck if necessary I think a heavy duty walking stick/cane with a steal tip and a heavy head would be the way to go.

Bonecrusher Doc

Post by Bonecrusher Doc » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:06 am

Big maglite with this accessory - for breaking glass to egress your vehicle, of course.

http://www.combattactical.com/bustacap- ... -6210.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bonecrusher Doc wrote: I'd say this has at least a little justification as a mental exercise.
JamesCannon wrote:Yes, well there's the right way and wrong way to exercise, and the wrong way can lead to injury and/or damage. :P

SouthernSurvivor

Post by SouthernSurvivor » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:05 am

How about this?

It's a eod breacher bar. It's extremely light and fits anywhere. U can even put it on a bench grinder and put a edge on it so it could be used as a knife.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”