What is it with 3 and 5 day packs?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Fka

What is it with 3 and 5 day packs?

Post by Fka » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:02 am

Ok guys and gal's, i just want to know whats up with the three and five day packs? Seriously if your bugging out its going to be a lot longer then that. If STHF bad enough for you to bug out, common sense tells me its going to be at least a two week ordeal for the situation to calm down. Zombies hit and you gotta go, thats forever more then likely. It is just labels on the stuff or what? Help a new comer out folks. :D Great site, I'm learning a lot.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What is it with 3 and 5 day packs?

Post by TheGunslinger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:14 am

There are a lot of threads about this, but in a nutshell - you are advised to bug out TO somewhere.

So ideally, your bug out location would be in range using the materials in your BOB.

If you are just leaving with the intent of never coming home, that's what you have an INCH (I'm not coming home) bag for. They are usually a lot more comprehensive.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Pansy

Post by Pansy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:24 am

I think food and water(also in some cases prescripted meds) are the only things that limit most bug out bags to a certain number of days use. In short term emergencies(which is what BOBs are used for) I don't think finding either of those items is going to be that difficult. Other BOB items(such as a knife, canteen, firesteel, clothing, etc.) can be used for a much longer period of time before needing to re-supply.

I think the 'number of days' you see for most BOBs is just a minimum starting point. Obviously you are going to have to resupply at some point. For instance I don't know of anyone who carries a three to five day water supply in their pack. It just isn't feasible.

Glennbo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Glennbo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:03 am

I take the 3-5 day thing as a base, a desperate base if you had nothing else...like being trapped in an elevator for a weekend. To carry three days worth of water physically on you means you will have to ration. I have 4.5 liters of water in my bag.

These 3-5 day bags you hear of also contain the means to aquire more of what you need to live beyond that base if you can move around and reasonably accquire more water or food, and protect yourself from the elements while doing so.

Unless you're trapped in a cell with your bag, the 3-5 day limit is very flexable. If I can find a water source my bag should be able to keep me alive for a month. If I'm trapped in an elevator I have 3-5 days.
"There are a lot of things I've been blamed for that I never did. But then there are a lot of things I did and never got caught at." ---Johnny Cash---

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 am

Im in agreement with Gunslinger...

Example
Sheriff knocks on your door in the middle of the night.
"Theres a derailed train 2 miles away and it contains X we need you to evacuate."
"The Red Cross has setup a relief center at LOCATION in CITY, your welcome to go there or to a place of your choice. You need to leave as soon as possible, you and your family are in danger here."

Your reaction...
"We will go stay with relatives in CITY, Thank You!"
You wake your family.
Check that everyone has their prepared BOB and get in the family car.
Your Bugged Out.

This is a temporary situation, you have the supplies on you to last a few days in case your detoured more than expected. The BOB,in this scenario, is only intended to get you to your relatives home. Medications can usually be resupplied easily through a pharmacy chain store if you go past the 5-7 days. Your BOBs should have a few days worth of clothes that can be washed over and over to last as long as the evac. In a situation like this the emergency will likely be contained in less than a week, more likely 48 hours. Your kit is to get you out of harms way as quickly as possible.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:48 am

To the OP:

If you don't have a destination, your bag is basically a travelling refugee backpack.

Carrying 2 weeks of water and food is infeasible.

So, instead of stuff, you need a plan for somewhere to go to.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:56 am

An alternative to what Necrodamus said, and his point is very valid, is the alternate Bug Out Location (primary tends to be closer) is X days away on foot so that is the size of my BOB. For example, my alternate at this time is about a 100 mile walk, so I need a 4 day BOB (25 miles a day is pushing it a lot but Iowa is fairly flat so this is doable). Once at my BOL I will be with family so should be looked after fairly well/have the support I need to deal with the situation so the BOB needs to get me there alive, even if I'm a bit hungry.

Why on foot? What if the BOV took damage during the evac/roads are jammed hopelessly/roadblocks are in the way? Hoofing it is to be avoided if possible, but that's what some design their BOB around.

Necrodamus, that actually happened to my grandparents when my mother was a child. Anhydrous ammonia was the chemical spilled if I remember correctly.

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:34 am

Well we have established the BOB and mentioned the INCH, might as well touch on the GHB.
GHB (get home bag) is smaller still, intended purpose is to get you home from work, shopping, etc.
GHB can be small backpacks, messenger bags, sling bags etc. They can have supplies to last from 1 day to beyond (it depends on the person, their average commute, etc.) My GHB is built on a jumbo mapedition and has a janus extension. The extension has many supplies in it kind of like an oversized, soft-sided BOAT. The main bag has food, provisions for water, FAK, a multi-tool and an RC3.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:49 am

Fka wrote:Ok guys and gal's, i just want to know whats up with the three and five day packs? Seriously if your bugging out its going to be a lot longer then that. If STHF bad enough for you to bug out, common sense tells me its going to be at least a two week ordeal for the situation to calm down. Zombies hit and you gotta go, thats forever more then likely. It is just labels on the stuff or what? Help a new comer out folks. :D Great site, I'm learning a lot.
It's not going to be a two week bug out in lots of cases. Think of these disasters or emergencies that would drive you from your home:
Chemical Spill
Flood
Minor Fire
Civil unrest, like a riot (which typically doesn't last two weeks)

All of those are situations where you'd evacuate your home, but likely be able to return in a short period of time. A BOB is to help you be more comfortable and capable during that time.

I think the concept you have in mind we refer to as an INCH (I'm never coming home) bag, or one designed for long term evacuations. A BOB is something you can grab quickly as you flee your home in the middle of the night for whatever reason. It could be a small disaster, or it could be an emergency that only affects you.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

mantis

Post by mantis » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:55 am

Fka wrote:Ok guys and gal's, i just want to know whats up with the three and five day packs? Seriously if your bugging out its going to be a lot longer then that. If STHF bad enough for you to bug out, common sense tells me its going to be at least a two week ordeal for the situation to calm down. Zombies hit and you gotta go, thats forever more then likely. It is just labels on the stuff or what? Help a new comer out folks. :D Great site, I'm learning a lot.
A BOB is not something that is intended to be "lived out of" for more than 3 - 5 days or so. It's one component of a complete disaster plan. It's what you use when the police or fire department bangs on the door at 3AM and tells you about the toxic cloud of gas blowing in your direction from the ruptured tanker car that just derailed a few miles away. 3 to 5 days is more than enough to cover you for 99.999% of disasters that are likely to crop up. If you're talking about zombies or some other major EOTWAKI event then further planning is necessary and in most cases, bugging in and not bugging out at all (unless you have no choice in the matter due to circrumstances, etc) is usually your best option. You should have a complete disaster plan (along with food supplies) to enable you to bug in as well as secondary plans (which also require such food/water supplies, etc.) to bug out. Your bug out plan MUST include specific destinations otherwise it's actually a "refugee" plan. You must also own or have legal right to those locations, you must have been able to prepare them in advance (food/water supplies, gear, etc), you must be able to secure them and they must not be locations that a bunch of other people are going to show up at.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:57 pm

What is it with 3-5 day packs? Well, 3-5 day packs are for when you think you'll need gear for 3-5 days. If you'll look around the forums a bit more, you'll see that people have kits that range from small pocket survival kits that are too small to have a timeframe attached all the way up to 7500 cui packs that could be lived out of for months to indefinitely, depending on your semantics. As I'm sure you know, in a survival situation one doesn't want to be hauling around a 100lb pack all the time because that is inefficient and cumbersome, instead one should choose to carry as little gear as possible as to maximize efficiency. If you feel that a safety margin of '2 weeks to indefinite' is what is required for you, then so be it. Most others feel comfortable with a one or two day safety margin, or a percentage of overall expected time (such as +10%) in the field.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

TAB
Favorite Zombie Movies: God has no favorites, why should I? There are so many, and so many different types of zombies, but here are some great ones that come to mind: "Evil Dead", "Re-animator", "Versus", and of course "Night of the Living Dead".

Post by TAB » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:29 pm

In reading ZS, I have found that there are 3 general interpretations for a BOB, in many cases overlapping more or less according to the skills, experiences, and imagination of the BOB builder:

1. The '72 hour kit' is intended to be lived out of for what most experts say is the average length of time for a person lost in the wilderness to be rescued. I guess the same logic applies to getting away from disaster areas and roughing it until minor order/services scenarios are resolved and restored to normal.
2. The 'bug-out BOB' is intended to be a from point A (disaster area) to point B (bug-out location) kit, and is part of an overall plan. It is optimally designed to allow quick, safe and quiet travel. Point B is of course already stocked with all that the survivor might need for the length of stay anticipated, including a resupply for the bug-out bag, and quite possibly a number 3 BOB as well.
3. The 'all-inclusive kit' is sometimes called an INCH (I'm never coming home). Only the most daring and hopeful and/or insane adventurers mentally and physically prepare for this kind of scenario. Further, there seems to be 2 kinds of INCH kits: (1) the 'pioneer kit' includes things like a shovel, an axe, a saw, a planer, etc., basically anything to enable carving a permanent home in a remote wilderness location including building a cabin Proenneke style; (2) the 'expedition kit' is intended to enable a person to go 'the great wanderer', 'Mad Max' or other PAW or TEOTWAWKI style through the known and unknown regions of time and space...

Kits number 1 and 2 are often the same kit and also often serve as 'get-home bags'.
* Let it be known: Everything I say is only my own opinion except perhaps when I am quoting someone else.
Success is the realization that you are not only unique but also essential.
Ecoculture Village, a non-profit entity ~ rediscovering, rejuvenating, & reinventing
small rural communities… preparing, surviving, living!

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:23 pm

and dont forget...

the awesome

Mall Ninja Manifesto wrote:Mall Ninja Bag!
It contains Guns and Ammo
a Katana (yes its phone cord wrapped)
no food (I will kill what I eat)
no water (I will drink from the creek)
no shelter (I dont fear rain)
no FAK (I feel no pain)
Last edited by Necrodamus on Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:39 pm

TAB wrote:In reading ZS, I have found that there are 3 general interpretations for a BOB, in many cases overlapping more or less according to the skills, experiences, and imagination of the BOB builder:

1. The '72 hour kit' is intended to be lived out of for what most experts say is the average length of time for a person lost in the wilderness to be rescued. I guess the same logic applies to getting away from disaster areas and roughing it until minor order/services scenarios are resolved and restored to normal.
2. The 'bug-out BOB' is intended to be a from point A (disaster area) to point B (bug-out location) kit, and is part of an overall plan. It is optimally designed to allow quick, safe and quiet travel. Point B is of course already stocked with all that the survivor might need for the length of stay anticipated, including a resupply for the bug-out bag, and quite possibly a number 3 BOB as well.
3. The 'all-inclusive kit' is sometimes called an INCH (I'm never coming home). Only the most daring and hopeful and/or insane adventurers mentally and physically prepare for this kind of scenario. Further, there seems to be 2 kinds of INCH kits: (1) the 'pioneer kit' includes things like a shovel, an axe, a saw, a planer, etc., basically anything to enable carving a permanent home in a remote wilderness location including building a cabin Proenneke style; (2) the 'expedition kit' is intended to enable a person to go 'the great wanderer', 'Mad Max' or other PAW or TEOTWAWKI style through the known and unknown regions of time and space...

Kits number 1 and 2 are often the same kit and also often serve as 'get-home bags'.
See, this is where definitions overlap. EDC, GHB, BOB, INCH, and the vehicle versions of those same kits are all dependant on the skills of the user, the mission chosen to complete, and the restrictions the user places upon those kits. It's all very personal and so you can expect disagreement.

An example of this is my EDC and GHB are one and the same. I'm rarely outside of a 5 mile radius of my house so there is no point carrying gear I don't need. Getting home and bugging out - to me - is all about getting where you gotta go quickly and with esential documents.

YMMV - in fact your mileage should vary because your bags should suit you and your personal situation.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:50 pm

Necrodamus wrote:and dont forget...

the awesome

no FAK (I feel no pain)

Dan, you're my freakin' hero! :lol:
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

JakkSchitt

Post by JakkSchitt » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:31 pm

HA HA HA!!
Necrodamus wrote:and dont forget...

the awesome

no FAK (I feel no pain)
Jakk
Abacus wrote: Good luck and welcome to Zombie Squad, don't fuck it up.

Dr Jekell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Assorted Oldies

Post by Dr Jekell » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:04 am

I wrote the following a long while back on another forum as part of a rant caused by people calling anything & everything their "BOB".

So here is what I wrote + some added info:

- EDC (Every Day Carry) - Items carried on person/belt or in a bag that a person has a use for each day. This can be wallets, knifes, flashlights, multi tools, watches, cell phones, keys, laptop etc

- Bail out bag (Military?) - AKA "Active shooter bag" (Civilian)/"Bag of evil" - This is the bag that you grab when you are using a weapon (usually a long gun) to terminate the bad guy and can contain items like additional pistol/rifle magazines, A "blow out kit" (Gunshot trauma kit) water, snacks flashlight/s, map & compass, GPS, Two way radio &/or cell phone, multi-tool, flexi-cuffs, chem sticks, keys and floor plans, knife, Tourniquet, Batteries for radio/lights/gps etc, Para cord, Broad-tip marker, etc.

- GHB (Get Home Bag) - A bag of items to aid you in getting home from work/school/etc and is usually equipped with 1-2 days worth of food &/or snacks, water, flashlight/s, spare batteries, possibly a two way radio, change of shoes (if you have to wear shoes that are inappropriate for walking long distances), etc.

- BOB (Bug Out Bag) - AKA "72 Hour Kit"/"Go Bag"/"Ready Kit"/plus other names - This kit is usually made in a large pack and contains all of the items needed to sustain you for anywhere from 3 - 9 days (depending on your circumstances) for use when you must leave your house for a period of time during an emergency (eg, hurricane, earthquake, floods, fire, terrorism, tornadoes, chemical spills, and the list goes on), it's intended area of use is similar to the GHB but instead of going home it is for going from home to a safe area of living (which may be a shelter, family in another town, a holiday house, a favorite camping spot etc AKA BOL - Bug Out Location). It will often contain, food/water/snacks, Tent, Sleeping bag/sleeping mat, fire making equipment, cooking equipment, knives, multi tool, toilet paper, duck tape, zip ties etc etc.

And finally (and this is what most people think a BOB is)

- INCH Bag (I Never Come Home Bag) - AKA TEOTWAWKI Bag (The End Of The World As We Know It Bag) - This bag is a BOB on steroids & performance enhancing drugs. This kit will have the contents of a BOB but in greater quantities and other items for an extended stay away from home. This is a bag that is rarely created as you can imagine carrying it any distance would be a pain (literately). For some their INCH kit could be a pre-prepared bug out property (or it could be a holiday home/hunting cabin/etc) with all of these items already stocked & stored away.

* Please note that there can be Hybrid bags made up eg an EDC bag that is also equipped to be a GHB for people who may use public transport & don't want to carry two bags etc.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:10 pm

crypto wrote:To the OP:

If you don't have a destination, your bag is basically a travelling refugee backpack.

Carrying 2 weeks of water and food is infeasible.

So, instead of stuff, you need a plan for somewhere to go to.
Carrying 2 weeks of food is absolutely feasible. I've carried food for 3 to 4 weeks on many occasions during my military days. Water, I concede, is another story. You must find a source of water for resupply.

There are two groups here on ZS. Backpackers and everyone else. The backpackers seem to be in the majority and I and many other ex-military guys tend to disagree with them on the Bug-Out issue but to each his own...
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

DrunkWookiee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead

Post by DrunkWookiee » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:41 pm

Dr Jekell wrote:I wrote the following a long while back on another forum as part of a rant caused by people calling anything & everything their "BOB".

So here is what I wrote + some added info:

- EDC (Every Day Carry) - Items carried on person/belt or in a bag that a person has a use for each day. This can be wallets, knifes, flashlights, multi tools, watches, cell phones, keys, laptop etc

- Bail out bag (Military?) - AKA "Active shooter bag" (Civilian)/"Bag of evil" - This is the bag that you grab when you are using a weapon (usually a long gun) to terminate the bad guy and can contain items like additional pistol/rifle magazines, A "blow out kit" (Gunshot trauma kit) water, snacks flashlight/s, map & compass, GPS, Two way radio &/or cell phone, multi-tool, flexi-cuffs, chem sticks, keys and floor plans, knife, Tourniquet, Batteries for radio/lights/gps etc, Para cord, Broad-tip marker, etc.

- GHB (Get Home Bag) - A bag of items to aid you in getting home from work/school/etc and is usually equipped with 1-2 days worth of food &/or snacks, water, flashlight/s, spare batteries, possibly a two way radio, change of shoes (if you have to wear shoes that are inappropriate for walking long distances), etc.

- BOB (Bug Out Bag) - AKA "72 Hour Kit"/"Go Bag"/"Ready Kit"/plus other names - This kit is usually made in a large pack and contains all of the items needed to sustain you for anywhere from 3 - 9 days (depending on your circumstances) for use when you must leave your house for a period of time during an emergency (eg, hurricane, earthquake, floods, fire, terrorism, tornadoes, chemical spills, and the list goes on), it's intended area of use is similar to the GHB but instead of going home it is for going from home to a safe area of living (which may be a shelter, family in another town, a holiday house, a favorite camping spot etc AKA BOL - Bug Out Location). It will often contain, food/water/snacks, Tent, Sleeping bag/sleeping mat, fire making equipment, cooking equipment, knives, multi tool, toilet paper, duck tape, zip ties etc etc.

And finally (and this is what most people think a BOB is)

- INCH Bag (I Never Come Home Bag) - AKA TEOTWAWKI Bag (The End Of The World As We Know It Bag) - This bag is a BOB on steroids & performance enhancing drugs. This kit will have the contents of a BOB but in greater quantities and other items for an extended stay away from home. This is a bag that is rarely created as you can imagine carrying it any distance would be a pain (literately). For some their INCH kit could be a pre-prepared bug out property (or it could be a holiday home/hunting cabin/etc) with all of these items already stocked & stored away.

* Please note that there can be Hybrid bags made up eg an EDC bag that is also equipped to be a GHB for people who may use public transport & don't want to carry two bags etc.
Seems like the majority of people and the majority of survival forums consider BOB a catchall phrase that covers all of the above.

One of the reasons why I like Zombie Squad so much is things like this are taken to the next level in an intelligent manner.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001, at the "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, Oregon.

DrunkWookiee's IFAK

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:40 pm

ODA 226 wrote:There are two groups here on ZS. Backpackers and everyone else. The backpackers seem to be in the majority and I and many other ex-military guys tend to disagree with them on the Bug-Out issue but to each his own...
I agree. I'm ex-military and I'm also in the backpacker club, which makes me one of the crowd in the middle. It's lonely here in no-man's land but that's how it is. :D

Having said that, the backpacks are the bare minimum essentials for me. They form the nucleus of the vehicle kits, which are far more comprehensive. I even take a layered approach in my BOV, having a minivan to get me there and a bicycle + trailer when I can't use the van for whatever reason. Each has it's own kit which builds on the BOB and INCH backpack kits. I'm adding a canoe soon to the bicycle + trailer so a busted bridge won't stop me and I can paddle if my legs have had enough.

Layering, providing for bugging out or leaving forever in depth and detail, is my objective.

Having said that, the basic BOB and basic INCH need to be man-portable just in case you have to light out cross country where your vehicles cannot go.

That's all opinion, but it's what I'm basing my bug-out preps on.

Fka

Post by Fka » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:07 am

Thanks for all the great information everyone. Really appreciate the bag type definitions Dr Jekell really cleared some things up. I was thinking more of an INCH bag with bob qualities. I now have some different bag plans. I have a sort of an EDC / BOB / Bail out bag really, not sure what you would call the mix of them? And I am in the process of building an INCH bag after I find the right location I want. Will more then likely be building a trappers cabin there. I still have a lot to learn, and maybe I am just paranoid, but I feel as if I am already to late, and should have started years ago. As an avid hunter and outdoors-men I have the gear but never really thought about anything like this until a good friend of mine brought it up. Thanks guys honestly cant thank you enough! Keep up the good work!

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:48 am

Tater Raider wrote:
ODA 226 wrote:There are two groups here on ZS. Backpackers and everyone else. The backpackers seem to be in the majority and I and many other ex-military guys tend to disagree with them on the Bug-Out issue but to each his own...
I agree. I'm ex-military and I'm also in the backpacker club, which makes me one of the crowd in the middle. It's lonely here in no-man's land but that's how it is. :D
I am trying to figure out what the difference between a "backpacker" and an "ex-military" guy would be, and the one striking difference I can think of is that one carries around a gun in the open, and the other may or may not carry a gun concealed. But I don't want to put words in mouths here. Since I would assume the ex-military guys would, on average, be more into firearms than "backpackers" on average, let's take a look:

Bug Out Gear: 88,567 posts
First Aid: 25,887 posts
Firearms: 283,889 posts

I am no math major, but the Firearms sub-forum has about 3 times the number of posts as BOG, and roughly 11 times the number of posts as First Aid. I think ZS is a pretty heterogeneous group, but if I had to make any kind of a generalization, say, based on post counts, I would say there are more ex-military guys (or people of similar mind-set) here than any other specific category of person.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:06 am

Veritas wrote:
Bug Out Gear: 88,567 posts
First Aid: 25,887 posts
Firearms: 283,889 posts

I am no math major, but the Firearms sub-forum has about 3 times the number of posts as BOG, and roughly 11 times the number of posts as First Aid. I think ZS is a pretty heterogeneous group, but if I had to make any kind of a generalization, say, based on post counts, I would say there are more ex-military guys (or people of similar mind-set) here than any other specific category of person.
I fail to see the relationship there.
I have never been in the military but I started shooting at the age of 4.
I took the Backpacker vs ex mil as a comparison to those that have a bob that is a combat load-out vs those that are more geared toward camping. For instance, WW and a lot of others carry teepees with collapsible wood stoves, something I dont think you will see in a combat load.
I took it like this:
Backpacker BOB = good for camping or bugout, may have weapons but thats not the main concentration.
Ex Mil BOB = good for combat, all major concerns are addressed such as shelter, food,water and FA but the concentration is light, quick, well armed

Real_Ale_Act
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like the PAW ones better!

Post by Real_Ale_Act » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:05 am

Fka wrote:... I still have a lot to learn, and maybe I am just paranoid, but I feel as if I am already to late, and should have started years ago...

Congratulations on starting to prep! Or starting to think about prepping, or looking at considering possibly learning something about prepping :wink: ! It's not really a destination though, it's a near-endless journey. We almost all feel like we started too late, until we realize that there's only one time it is truly Too Late:
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
Suizen wrote: (damned to hell reason and logic... who needs it?! PANIC SQUAD!!! UNITE!)
Chapter XV: ZS, California-Style

Return to “Bug Out Gear”