Anybody here ever use Gear Pods?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

techmonkey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Anybody here ever use Gear Pods?

Post by techmonkey » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:54 am

I came across this website containing srvival/backpacking gear called Gear Pods.

http://www.gearpods.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Pods themselves look great for waterproff storage and the pre-built kit containing a stove system looks real nice. Tehy can also be screwed together in a stack. On the other hand, some of the pre-built systems look kind f silly. One filled with paracord? I can wrap that around a lot of things and it won't take up as much room.

Tell me what you think. I kind of want to get the alcohol stove since it seems sturdier than my homemade popcan stove.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Anybody here ever use Gear Pods?

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:00 pm

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:zom ... =UTF-8&hl=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:29 pm

I can definitely see the use for some of that stuff.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

EchoMirage

Post by EchoMirage » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:51 pm

looks cute. i like the survival/stove one. but to put a clunky round container in your pack that just holds a space blanket? its the size of a letter, why roll it up just to have in a pod?

i ran into a guy through hiking the appalachian trail last year. for the sixth time. his stove, for the entire trip, was 2 bottoms of soda cans. when not in use, one bottom fit inside another. for fuel, he used denat. alcohol. thats all he had, all he carried, for the 6 months of backpacking.

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:59 pm

I like the stove one. I don't have that style of stove and it would save me from having to make a little alcohol one like I've been planning on. They also seem to be really light I think I'll pick one up and give it a try.

techmonkey

Post by techmonkey » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:48 pm

I have a small Pepsi can stove (well Mountain Dew) can already, but it is very fragile and you cant easily dump extra fuel back out. Theirs is a little thicker aluminum, and you can take it apart to dump out the extra alcohol or use it as a small tablet burner or possibly for wood chips. Alcohol stoves work great as long as you are below 10k feet. Above that and you need different fuel like white gas and use a more traditional stove.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:31 pm

I had something similar, in a smaller form, for fishing tackle at one time. The storage was adequate, and the stackable thread design worked OK, but the products were not worm proof, and made from a brittle plastic, so the lifespan banging around in a tackle box or bag was limited. If you want to have containers that can thread together, custom make your own in the PVC aisle of your local big-box home improvement store. Using female adapters, male adapters, and in ID pipe plug that glues in, you can use a pipe threaded cap to close off the stack, and thread each unit onto another one of the same diameter. You can choose your diameters, and create whatever you need to. Waterproof, airtight, and pretty light proof, you can float them, sink them, bury them, or just hump them on a pack.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

6UNF1GHTER
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:31 pm

Never used one, but seen a review on youtube awhile back here
Not sure about the stove, but I'm sure with enough patience you could have (or make) a good alcohol burning stove and some something to put it all in.
FYI, Heineken cans make great alky stoves... much better material thickness. Something like this?

To me, the idea looks good in theory... just a well marketed one at that.
If I was looking to do something similar for containerizing gear, I'd go PVC all the way. (+1 K Roc!)
You could do a lot better while spending much less methinks.

The Gunfighter-

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:11 am

Neat idea but not worth the price as I recall.
I like the containers, though. Maybe they can be duplicated on the cheap somehow.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:16 am

thelight wrote:Neat idea but not worth the price as I recall.
I like the containers, though. Maybe they can be duplicated on the cheap somehow.
Rush2112, a ZSer, has a nice homemade set of containers that aren't as overpriced as the gear-pods...his cookset and alky-stove live in it...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:43 am

nfa wrote:
thelight wrote:Neat idea but not worth the price as I recall.
Rush2112, a ZSer, has a nice homemade set of containers that aren't as overpriced as the gear-pods...his cookset and alky-stove live in it...

Jamie
Oh, I thought his set was commercial, didn't realize he made them himself. That was a neat set...
Hey Rush! Post Pics!!!
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:05 pm

Linky to Rush2112's post?
I couldn't find it with my horrible search-fu

-fenris-
"How quickly a man takes on the qualities of darkness. Men who live by night; the soldier, the thief, the traveller by night, the vagabond... theirs is a different way of thinking, and they do not fear the dark nor what may come upon them by night because they themselves are of the night, a part of it." ~louis lamour

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:08 pm

I think the concept behind the gearpods, and the equipment that is in them is cool. I originally saw them on survivalistboards, and the general consensus (that I agree with) is that you could build something a lot nicer, in a similiar container, with more useful items in it for a lot cheaper.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

techmonkey

Post by techmonkey » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:05 pm

I don't care about the contents. I already have a small kit that is better anyway. I was just wondering about the durability of the canisters. I was looking for an alternative to Otterboxes because those are way over priced.

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:24 pm

The kit is ok, better than most. I've been hemming and hawing on the tubes themselves, they look pretty damn good, but too pricey to find out when I'm saving nickles to buy a (much needed) new PC. Gatoraid powder containers, for the cheap ass in all of us. ;)
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:04 pm

TheLight linked me over to this...pics to come.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”