*** CipherNameRaVeN' BOB - PIC Heavy - Critique Welcome

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Re: CipherNameRaVeN' BOB - PIC Heavy - Critique Welcome

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Fri May 14, 2010 10:28 am

Actually, Jetboil was a gift. I also never used it. As a matter of fact, I always refused to get one because I did not want to spend $150 on something that I can easily achieve by starting a small fire. I always liked primitive. If anything, I wanted to get something cheap like MSR Superfly. But my friends who swear by it went ahead and gave it to me as a gift. So, I kept it. I am yet to use it.
I have several books on survival that have extensive sections on edible plants. However, I learned that many plants look alike and most plants are toxic. So, there is plenty of room for a deadly error. I would rather trap, fish, or hunt if I can. Plants are my last resort. Plants and mushrooms will kill you faster than anything. Though, I am in the market for edible plant guide with quality photos instead of illustrations. I went out several times into the woods to try to learn how to identify plants, and though I thought I made a right identification, I still could not bring myself to put it in my mouth in fear of getting poisoned.

That stock for Yugo was very inexpensive. $60 at cheaperthandirt.com
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SearchRe ... m=10&q=sks
Choice of mags here. Prices are funny...
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKS530-31.html
This is the scope mount. Much better than mine and only $20.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP250-31.html
Plus, they have plenty of other goodies for SKS.

Plastic utensils... I compleeetly agree with you. When I saw them, I thought what the ####. Then, I read reviews and it said that you can throw the spatula right out. It melts at first cooking. I may try the spoon and fork though. But, I will be buying one of those 3 in one thingies they sell in EMS.

Thanks for all your comments. Very helpful!
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Re: CipherNameRaVeN' BOB - PIC Heavy - Critique Welcome

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Fri May 14, 2010 10:29 am

I added a FAK section to this post, please let me know your thoughts. What do you think I am missng?
EDIT: FAK moved to First Aid Forum:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6#p1362476

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Doc_45ACP
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, Zombieland

Re: *** CipherNameRaVeN' BOB - PIC Heavy - Critique Welcome

Post by Doc_45ACP » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:35 pm

I have the same comments as almost everyone else on here: add food (Backcountry Kitchen meals are good, lightweight and available at WalMart for a lot less than MREs. They are also a lot lighter!). Also, with all due respect to the Little Mrs, there would be no way in Hell I'd hesitate for even one second about whether or not to bring a firearm if I needed to bug out (or bug in for that matter). Some things are just not negotiable. There are bad people out there, even in suburbia, and some things are just not open to discussion with "The Committee." (Seriously, I mean no disrespect to the wife, I have had this same argument many times. GF: "Why do you bring your gun to church?" Me: "Hmm, let's see, maybe cuz it's a large crowded room with 3 poorly spaced exits full of people who are proud of being members of a religion that is the swore enemy of one of the most violent terrorist groups that has ever existed!" Or, my favorite argument: GF: "Why do you bring your gun backpacking?" Me: "Do you think a cop is gonna eagerly and speedily climb to this summit we're camped at to come to our aid when we call 911 because someone is trying to rape you at machete-point?")

Okay, maybe I am a little paranoid, but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...

Anyway, back on topic... I would solve the problem of curious fingers by always having the weapon secured on your hip. SERPA holsters do offer very good retention, though they slow my draw and conceal poorly in my opinion. Besides, if she's a toddler, she likely lacks the strength the defeat a standard tension-adjustable holster.

Also, I am a 45 advocate, but also own several 9mms. I own no 40 cal, however. While it is a perfectly acceptable round, I try to stick to military calibers since they are readily available. Just a thought. Also, 9mm is lighter and allows you to carry more ammo.

For your hatchet, I recommend the SOG tactical tomahawk, it's great! I have an LMF II, I agree that it is a great survival knife and is capable of chopping firewood if you need to (Afterall, it WAS designed as a pilot's survival knife...)

Lastly, I know everyone loves the condom as a water carrier (it's light etc....) however, I am not a fan. Seriously, what's a condom full of water? A water balloon! Not the way I suggest carrying water. I offer this alternative: procure a 1 liter IV fluid bag (saline or ringers preferred, expired stuff is fine) but it cannot have been "Spiked" by a drip set (the IV tubing that connects to the patient). The small medication administration port on the bottom is self-sealing. Using a needle and syringe, drain the IV fluid out and down the drain, flush the bag with water many times to remove any lingering saline clinging to the inside, then roll the empty bag around a clean 20-60mL syringe and sterile needle and wrap Ranger bands around it. It ends up being larger than the condom, of course, but still is only about the size of a mini mag light.

I also carry chlorine bleach in a small bottle to purify water. When you want to use it, draw up 1-2mL of bleach and inject it into the IV bag (through the med admin port you used to drain the bag), then use the syringe to draw up water from the stream or lake (if standing water, do not draw from the surface!) and inject it into the bag until it is full. IV bags have very strong seams and will NEVER pop under normal carry. I have thrown them, dropped them, scraped them, etc with no incident. This can then tossed in your BOB. The fill you water bottle, use the syringe (disinfected with a little bleach) to reuse the bag, or if you have several, just cut part of the top off and pour it out.

I should start a thread on here with pictures describing that procedure. It really is a lot simpler than it sounds, and quite effective. A well-meaning survivalist EMS worker can easily procure the required tools for you, if needed...
"In omnia paratus."

Citizen: "What kind of guy knows all this survival stuff?"
Bob Brown: "A Renaissance man; you just found one. Congratulations, you're a lucky man!"

Emergency Physician / NREMT-P / SAR Tech / Eagle Scout

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Great post. Thank you!
Doc_45ACP wrote:I have the same comments as almost everyone else on here: add food (Backcountry Kitchen meals are good, lightweight and available at WalMart for a lot less than MREs. They are also a lot lighter!).
Never heard of them, but will definitely try.
Doc_45ACP wrote: Also, with all due respect to the Little Mrs, there would be no way in Hell I'd hesitate for even one second about whether or not to bring a firearm if I needed to bug out (or bug in for that matter). Some things are just not negotiable..
Agreed! In bug out/bug in situation I will have my weapons with me. Camping - definitely. I came across all sorts of hillbillies when camping. I never go into the woods without a firearm or two. Plus, I have seen enough movies where bad people happen while camping.

As to caliber. I purchased my .40S&W 12 years ago. Ammo was inexpensive and readily available. Now, I wish I went with 9.
Doc_45ACP wrote: For your hatchet, I recommend the SOG tactical tomahawk, it's great!
I know :) I put it on my list, after you gave it such a great review in your post. Originally, I was considering Gerber axe. Seems like everyone likes it too. Also, I am considering your Gerber machete.
Doc_45ACP wrote:Lastly, I know everyone loves the condom as a water carrier (it's light etc....) however, I am not a fan. Seriously, what's a condom full of water? A water balloon! Not the way I suggest carrying water. I offer this alternative: procure a 1 liter IV fluid bag (saline or ringers preferred, expired stuff is fine) but it cannot have been "Spiked" by a drip set (the IV tubing that connects to the patient). The small medication administration port on the bottom is self-sealing. Using a needle and syringe, drain the IV fluid out and down the drain, flush the bag with water many times to remove any lingering saline clinging to the inside, then roll the empty bag around a clean 20-60mL syringe and sterile needle and wrap Ranger bands around it. It ends up being larger than the condom, of course, but still is only about the size of a mini mag light.
I heard that before. However, I have no access to IV bags. I may invest some $ in Platypus collapsible bottles.
Doc_45ACP wrote:I also carry chlorine bleach in a small bottle to purify water.
Good idea. Adopted!
Doc_45ACP wrote:I should start a thread on here with pictures describing that procedure.
You should! :D It would be useful.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Gun Rock

Post by Gun Rock » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:27 pm

Book marking for reference of the 550 bracelet, Great layout!
The only thing X about a Marine is his wife!!
Braxton wrote:And please know that even though you took it apart while drunk, and used a nail to fix it. You still did better than Taurus customer service would have.

Jester79

Re: *** CipherNameRaVeN' BOB - PIC Heavy - Critique Wel

Post by Jester79 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:12 am

mark
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:13 am

Hey mate, if you're on a budget(I'm not sure what brands you guys get in the States, but the general idea should be the same), some of the single serve pasta snack kinds of meals, have long shelf lives, quite cheap, tasty, dehydrated to very light(unless gathering water is a problem) and add in some small tins/cans of chicken/tuna/whatever you like the taste of. Another thing for shelter, Adventure Medical Kits makes a GREAT surivival bag, absolutely tiny, only about 3 ounces each. More expensive than a normal survival bag but can be used on it's own as a sleeping bag down to 9 degrees celcius, reflects 90% of radiated body heat and is so small it's hard to believe! Oh, and they're re-usable and have their own stuff sacks!
In relation to hatchets, I'm not a big fan. The head weight and size is great, but handles that small are impractical in my experience. If possible find a 'forest axe', it's a hatchet size head on a longer handle. If need be, you can choke up on the handle for more control of the cutting edge but for splitting/chopping tasks, the extra length increase the ease of tasks dramatically for only a fractional increase in the weight of the tool.
I also +1 to those who suggested: A) Taking the bags for a test run, and B) A Tarpaulin. An El Cheapo one will do the trick, otherwise get a nice Sil-nylon one, I have one made by a company(Australian based) called OZTrail, their hikers fly. Super lightweight, packs down to about the size of a drink bottle and only cost me NZ$50 (So maybe US$30 for you guys?). Measures 3.2m x 2.6m from memory? Could be wrong, works a treat, though! I'm not sure if I missed them, but extra batteries should be added, also, or a solar charger with rechargeables alternatively. Extra socks are a definite, also, I usually carry 3 pairs :D
Hope this is helpful,

Cheers,
Sean.
I'd rather have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it!

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:44 am

Cipher, your illustrations are PHENOMENAL! Great Inspiration! We have lots to work on with ours and that is what we will be doing today, after I share the post with Mr. NoAM.
I may have missed it, but what about a small emergency blanket.

I have heard that the Mountain House packaged meals have no problems with heat, so depending on "Where" you keep the bags, your food won't be affected. We are getting some MH meals to keep in the GHB's for the vehicles.

Thank you for a wonderful post!
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:29 am

This is just technique but I would dump the FM-21-76 and replace it with a small solar charger for your droid with FM 21-76 (and lots of other things like electronic records and other useful info) loaded on it. It will end up weighing less and have a lot more capability. Of course it will cost more too. :D

Very nice pics and setup.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:49 pm

@Kiwi Bowhunter
  • Food Thank you for your advice. I added some Mountain House Pro-Meals to my BOB. I actually never tried them until last night when I went on a mock bug out. (took pics, will post later) I actually like MH a lot now. I am also planning to add some meals made by company called Wise. Also good. True on small cans of Tuna and such. May do that!
  • As to shelter, I acquired a USGI Poncho and a MSS Gore-Tex Bivy. I may still add AMT bivy as you stated for backup. I also need to purchase a nice light weight tent, because I do have a wife and a kid.
  • Still undecided on hatchet issue. But, it seems a lot of experienced campers here prefer some of the hatchets made by Gerber. They are light and fairly durable. I may go that route. [/list
    • ]Got plenty of batteries. However, I need to work on getting myself down to the equipment that only uses 1 or 2 type of batteries. Right now I have stuff that requires all AAA, AA, and 123a.
    • +1 on socks. I am looking into couple more wool socks with liners. I have them on my list to purchase.
    Great input! Thanks, man!

@NoAmnesty
    Thanks for the props! I do have 3 Emergency Space Blankets. It's #39 on my list.
    MH meals do indeed rock! I got a bunch of Pro-Packs for BOB.

@Blacksmith
    Thanks for advice! I have Eton Crank Radio with flashlight, and USB Phone charger #18 on my list.
    Surprisingly, that put a descent charge on my Droid. I still have to dump all I need on the DROID though. I am also planning to purchase another solar charger by Solio. But, that is later when I have extra cash laying around. I don't want to dump the physical book, just because I have so much notes and line drawing on almost every page that I have made.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:54 pm

I replaced the Bug-Out-Bag with Camelbak BFM backpack. Image

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Post by Israel » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:16 pm

A hatchet can be a nice thing to have as long as you have something to help keep the nicks out of the edge, I keep a small metal file with mine. also, I personally haven't liked my gerber hatchet much, yeah its light weight but the edge dosnt keep to my liking. I recently purchased an Estwing sportsman's axe, and I love it
I've heard many arguments as to why one hatchet is better than another
"get a wood handled one so if it breaks you can make a new one in the bush"
"don't get a metal camp axe because of the tubing that the handles are made of will break"
"Gerber hatchets kick ass and are wicked light"
Personally, I am concerned with the handles on the gerbers because of the hollow construction(not that the one I DO have has shown any problems.)
The Estwing has the same construction as their hammers and I have beat the hell out of my Estwing hammer.
I recently put my new hatchet through its paces, and I've found that it takes a good edge and keeps it, even when I used it in the dirt for ground clearing in the garden and kept hitting rocks, I only got a few small nicks that were easily taken out.
It may weigh a bit more, but for a few bucks more and a little more weight I would rather have the reliability.

Food for thought.
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"
I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Good point. I just figured Gerber would be lighter than most wood handle or all metal axes. I would never buy it if I saw it on the shelf. However, there are just so many trusted sources that swear by it, and so many good reviews online, that it make me rething my position.

I also called EMS the other day to see if they have any Gerbers in stock. They did not! But, what they had was Kershaw Camp Axe, which is very similar to Estwing from what I can see.
The Kershaw drop forged in a single high carbon steel piece with Krayton handle. Weight: 14. 5 oz
However, I can not find too many reviews on it at all. Gerber, on the other hand, has a tone!
What are your thoughts?

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Post by Israel » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:47 am

looks damn close, didn't even know kershaw had one. very similar design, and kershaw makes nice blades. I would think its worth a look into. I would think that the reason that their aren't many reviews on the estwing is because they mostly make construction tools (hammers and the like) so most outdoors people probably unaware of them. Like I said before, I've been dissatisfied with gerber axe steel, chips easily.
So my only concern with the kershaw would be how well it takes and keeps an edge
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"

LifeStraw Review

Kiwi Bowhunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series...Well, pretty much all of them!

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:38 am

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 7135_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thats my axe handle that I made from a seasoned piece of Kanuka(Tea-tree) heartwood, very, very hardwood, and a NZ Native so that's a bonus, too! :D
Just chucked it on a head from a cheap hatchet I got from 'The Warehouse', NZ's version of Wal-Mart. Reprofiled the edge, tempered it, polished of the crappy paint on it and stuck it on the new handle! Works a treat, made a shelter out of some Radiata Pine the otherday, split some firewood and made a rabbit stick(but couldn't get close enough to the rabbit!!!).
Sorry, no good info on tents mate, I'm a tarp man :wink:

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Israel » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:32 am

that's some nice work, do you know of an American equivalent to the tea tree? Oak, Hickory?

LifeStraw Review

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Did I miss the tarp and Silcock key?

What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Kiwi Bowhunter

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:58 am

Any Hardwood mate, make sure it's the Heartwood though(very center of a tree) because it will have been preserved in resin as the tree grows, making it super solid and the most durable piece of wood out of the whole stem.
http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/species_guide/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry mate, not to schooled up on American trees! Haha. Something with a really straight grain would be best suited, I'd say.
Oak, Hickory, Eucalypts(Gum trees) would probably be suitable. I study Forestry at Uni but we don't really do American trees lol. Don't use Pines or any of those sorts of conifers though, wood isn't dense at all.

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:40 am

I am still looking into Kershaw or Estwing, or maybe still Gerber.
Wooden handle axes just do not appeal to me. I had many all up until now.
I am tired of them. I just want one piece axe.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Kiwi Bowhunter

Post by Kiwi Bowhunter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:00 am

Well, the only problem with that is that if it breaks, you ain't gonna be fixing it without power tools or a welder.
I like the wood, in my BOB, I'll probably be getting a SOG Tactical Tomahawk or a Cold Steel Trail 'Hawk.
But I have a bushcraft kit aswell, with really basic, hand tools. Like a 3 piece Bow-Saw, and different blades, wool blanket, etc.
Depends what your Philosophy of use for the kit is, tbh.

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:38 am

Kiwi Bowhunter wrote:I like the wood, in my BOB, I'll probably be getting a SOG Tactical Tomahawk or a Cold Steel Trail 'Hawk.
I like SOG product. I also considered SOG Tactical Tomahawk. However, I don't think it is all that practical for BOB.
I want my axe to be used as a hammer also. And, when splitting wood, I want to be able to hit it from the top with another piece of wood.
You can not do it with this tomahawk. And, by the way, its handle is not wood. It's Polymer.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Israel » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:38 am

You can't break an Eswing, the shaft to my hammer has been driven over by trucks, scissor lifts, boom lifts, Tele-tracs, a bobcat, and it's still strait as an arrow. I've had the thing for 10 years , their damn near indestructible, and the hatchet has the same construction. To break it, you're gonna have to blow it up or run it over with a train. However, I have seen camp axes at Wal-Mart that the handle is made out of tubing, I wouldn't trust those on a day hike, near my house, in the suburbs.
I truly see the point to being able to make a new handle if needed, but if you never do, why bother

LifeStraw Review

CipherNameRaVeN

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:44 pm

1SR437 wrote:You can't break an Eswing, the shaft to my hammer has been driven over by trucks, scissor lifts, boom lifts, Tele-tracs, a bobcat, and it's still strait as an arrow. I've had the thing for 10 years , their damn near indestructible, and the hatchet has the same construction. To break it, you're gonna have to blow it up or run it over with a train. However, I have seen camp axes at Wal-Mart that the handle is made out of tubing, I wouldn't trust those on a day hike, near my house, in the suburbs.
I truly see the point to being able to make a new handle if needed, but if you never do, why bother
I think you persuaded me. I am getting an Estwing!

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Israel » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:26 pm

Awesome. Let me know how you like it, 'cuz I love mine, and for around 30-35$ I can't beat it.

Edit: Post pics.
P.S. The sheath is very functional, however the snap is so tight it's difficult to undo once the sheath gets worked in a bit.

LifeStraw Review

Return to “Bug Out Gear”