Need Help w/ Tent & Sleeping Bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AEuropa

Need Help w/ Tent & Sleeping Bag

Post by AEuropa » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:12 am

All,

I'm in the process of putting together my BOB (which will double as a lightweight camping pack) and am looking for a lightweight, generous 2-person tent for humid weather. I will have my girlfriend (who will have her own BOB) and dog (60-ish lbs GSD/Malinois mix who will have a saddle backpack for his own gear :mrgreen: ) with me so I would like something that would fit us all (somewhat) comfortably for a 3 day (max) trek. It gets very humid here in the evening, and during the "winter" ( :lol: ) it rains nearly everyday to some extent. Price limit is $300ish. The Tarptent Rainshadow 2 and Eureka Zeus EXO 2 both seem tempting, but I am not bound to them in anyway and have a feeling that there are better options for the money...suggestions are much appreciated!

For the sleeping bag, I'm basically sold on the Snugpak Jungle Bag, my only concern is that I've heard it doesn't breathe worth a damn, and I HATE waking up sweaty.

Thoughts?

- Alex
Former Vice President, Hawaii Defense Foundation
Oath Keeper Life Member #256
III
ImageK9ALE

Lonely Raven

Re: Need Help w/ Tent & Sleeping Bag

Post by Lonely Raven » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:22 am

Oddly enough, my fiance and I are in the same boat. For our last trip, we opted for two small Walmart tents we picked up on Craigs list. I'm thinking about redoing that with more along the lines of your budget. I'd really like one, better quality tent, probably with a good rainfly we can stow gear under to leave us more space in the tent (since the damn dog takes up so much! :lol: )

The Lonely Raven - The Halo Hides My Horns
http://www.FirespeedTactical.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Sarge

Post by The Sarge » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:41 am

Nice to see you're taking your dog with you, and that he carries his/her own stuff.
You may want to invest in a simple lightweight bag like object that you can shove your stuff in before you go to bed, just so that dew and the like won't get there
When you think about it, the end of Romeo & Juliet is acutally pretty funny. (Note that some of the females in my class called me quite a few things when I said this, none of them nice)
Jeriah wrote:A sword is like a sling: useless unless you also pack the stones necessary to actually use the thing.

congochris

Post by congochris » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:17 am

If I were to be camping with a dog and wanted them in my shelter with me, I'd go for a floorless shelter to prevent little doggie punctures or the dog forgetting that the tent is "home" and not to crap or piss in there. But I'm used to huskies, who by some reports have to be housebroken every time you move. :roll: And tend to have wicked claws for the running in the snow.

PWA2600
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/28 Weeks Later.
The Walking Dead TV Series.
Resident Evil Series.
Others.

Post by PWA2600 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:29 am

Lonely Raven,

How does your dog hold up with a pack on his back? I have been debating if I should buy one for my dog, but have done a little research and found that dogs are better at pulling, then carrying. Some of the research I found was related to the Native Americans, and how they used dogs for pack animals before horses were introduced.

AEuropa,

In regards to the tent question, I would have to say Golite; now I do not own one yet, but have had my eye on a shangri La tipi type UL tent. I have my issued MSS (Modular Sleep System). I use this all the time, I have been debating if I should invest in a Wiggy's or other SnugPak type sleeping bag.

Hope this helps.
"You do not truly own anything that you can't carry in both arms at a dead run"
- Robert A. Heinlein

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith"
-2 Timothy 4:7

"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees."
- Emiliano Zapata Salazar

Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:33 am

congochris wrote:If I were to be camping with a dog and wanted them in my shelter with me, I'd go for a floorless shelter to prevent little doggie punctures or the dog forgetting that the tent is "home" and not to crap or piss in there. But I'm used to huskies, who by some reports have to be housebroken every time you move. :roll: And tend to have wicked claws for the running in the snow.
The dog actually had his own sleeping bag (it was cheaper than a dog bed his size), and that was laid out to protect the tent.

Most dogs don't shit where they sleep, it's against their nature. And as long as they sense your tent is the packs "den", you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm not that familiar with Huskies, other than they are less prone to use a den, so I can see that being a problem with that breed. The OPs GSD shouldn't be a problem at all. They take to kennel/den training well.

Lonely Raven

Post by Lonely Raven » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:45 am

PWA2600 wrote:Lonely Raven,

How does your dog hold up with a pack on his back? I have been debating if I should buy one for my dog, but have done a little research and found that dogs are better at pulling, then carrying. Some of the research I found was related to the Native Americans, and how they used dogs for pack animals before horses were introduced.
Sorry, I didn't see this post...we must have been typing at the same time.

I think "work dogs" who are good at pulling are happy doing *any* sort of physical labor. The Leonberger in the photo is just a year old, so he's still a scrapy puppy with lots of puppy energy. But as soon as that pack goes on his back, with some weight in it, he suddenly gets into the "workdog" frame of mind. It's like night and day, from bouncing around like a deer in a field, to nose down to the ground, at my side.

Being that's he's only a puppy, we don't load it heavy. In the photo it was loaded pretty heavy, but that's because he was only carrying the load to and from the car. When we go for walks, it's pretty much just a pair of 1L bottles (one on each side to keep balance), his silicon water bowl, and maybe a few odds and ends (glowstick, flashlight, extra set of tags etc).

The only time he has trouble with the pack, is going down stairs. The higher/heavy center of gravity throws him off a bit, but he'll get used to it as he puts on some muscle.

Later this year we are going to start "cart" training him, so he'll be able to carry his own bags, and cart a wagon load of extra gear as well. We are sizing him up for a harness next month in fact.

With some work, he's gain about 30lbs of muscle as he grows into his full adult size, and probably be able to carry more than I can! LOL

Sorry, I'm trying not to hijack the OPs thread, but it's sorta on the same topic. Dogs and gear. Sorta.

none1

Post by none1 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:35 pm

IMO, most "2 person" tents are really too small for 2 people, unless they're small people who are OK getting cozy with each other. 2 people + dog ...... I would recomend a 3 person tent, realizing, that most 3 people can't all fit in a 3 person tent at the same time. Tents, when full, tend to have things (or people) touching the sides, and that just invites water issues.

I like the Big Agnes Seedhouse Superlight SL3, 4 pounds 9 ounces. It is $400. The BA Seedhouse 2 (not super light, can be had for around $225. But you get a LOT more room in the 3 person. I like the BA seedhouse line, they have proven very sturdy for me.
http://www.rei.com/product/734067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tartpents are also excellent. I do strongly recomend a double wall tent for humidity, I think the tarptent rainbow has a double wall option. Golites are also nice.

Have you thought about "quilts" instead of a sleeping bag? They're sort of like sleeping bags that work as a blanket, when you get cold, you wrap your sleeping pad underneath them, so they sort of provide warmth on 3 sides, and your pad is the insulation for the bottom. They are generally lighter than sleeping bags, and can be very warm. This one is expensive (800 fill down) but gives an idea of what a quilt is. They are great for 3 season temps, IMO.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews ... 0Estrella/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :mrgreen:
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

Red Cell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by Red Cell » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:45 pm

IMO, wyominglostandfound tarp tipi and a couple wool blankets will work great.
END THE FED

DaveJohns
Favorite Zombie Movies: C-SPAN!

Post by DaveJohns » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Cool dog!

anyway, for great ventilation for those muggy evenings ( I live in Alabama, I know all about muggy weather) there arent many tents that do better than Tarptent. I have a cloudburst, and it is great for catching a breeze. However, single walled tents are not the best for extremely rainy weather. a great, open tent with lots of ventilation can become a great, open tent with lots of places for blowing rain to enter! TT does have several dual walled tents now (The Scarp comes to mind) but I havent seen one in action to say whether works well or not. The Double Rainbow has an inner mesh liner that can be added, in fact that is going to be my next purchase.
"It could be that the purpose of my life is simply to serve as a warning to others"

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

honeybadger65

Post by honeybadger65 » Sat May 01, 2010 3:15 am

I HIGHLY recommend a Eureka Solitaire and a Recon 3 sleeping bag. Both pack down small and are really cool pieces of gear. Total will run you about a little more than half of your budget. Go with the OD version of the Eureka Solitaire.

The Recon is amazing. I love it.
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"

AEuropa

Post by AEuropa » Sat May 01, 2010 5:59 am

none1,

Thanks for the tip on the Big Agnes, although I managed to pick up a Copper Spur UL3 for $375 w/ free shipping on Ebay (there's still ONE LEFT -clicky- if anyone is interested). And I went ahead and picked up the footprint at backcountry.com.

schmid65,

I think it might be a tight squeeze in a Solitare for my girlfriend, dog, and I. :wink:

- Alex
Former Vice President, Hawaii Defense Foundation
Oath Keeper Life Member #256
III
ImageK9ALE

honeybadger65

Post by honeybadger65 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:56 pm

My girlfriend and I fit into the Solitaire just fine. Its tight, but I'm sure glad she is my girlfriend and not my mom!

The dog may have to sleep elsewhere though.
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"

Return to “Bug Out Gear”