The CRKT M16/18 Review Trifecta

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

thelung187
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

The CRKT M16/18 Review Trifecta

Post by thelung187 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:31 pm

I suppose I should preface this review with a quick review of how this came to be: my standard EDC folder, a Gerber Presto 3.0, was a great knife. A friend showed me his, and right away I liked the design. Assisted-open, blade lock, and single-handed unlock/re-fold mechanism, there are days where I really miss that thing. Unfortunately, I somehow managed to lose it in the space of my day-to-day activities, and thus began the search for a replacement. I'd purchased some months ago a Kershaw Vapor for $10 shipped on eBay (warning, I <3 eBay, some may speak ill of it but there truly are some great deals to be had there), though when I received it I was less than enthused about its design. The metal handle was *too* smooth, making it difficult to maintain a reliable grip. The blade has a thumb assist, but flicking too hard results in the frame-lock locking to the point of requiring a pry bar of sorts.

With all of that said, the CRKT M16-10Z seems to nearly be the ZS de facto blade when one is looking for a good, reliable, well crafted knife. So, off to eBay I went! Finding it to be a bit small, I decided to up the ante, and go with the CRKT M18-14Z. This knife is HUGE, I feel like I would need bear claws to carry it every day. Finally, I just today received my M16-13Z, and am happy to say it fits the bill perfectly! Without further ado:

The M16-10Z.
* AutoLAWK patented automatic knife safety which actuates automatically
* 3" AUS 4 Stainless Steel
* Zytel black handle
* Tanto blade
* Removable stainless steel clip

For the price, a WONDERFULLY crafted blade. The assisted-open make it seem nearly spring-loaded: you really have to exert minimal effort to get the blade open and locked. AutoLAWK is also a really well-crafted system, takes about 15min. to get used to closing it one-handed without concern that you might gash a digit on the blade. The zytel-scale handle provides solid friction for grip, but overall I was left wanting more. So, I figured, time to move up a model....

The M18-14K.
* Kit Carson Design Folder
* 5" closed.
* AUS-8 stainless triple point partially serrated blade, 3.75".
* Overall Length: 8.69''
* 6061 T-6 hard anodized aluminum titanium grey aluminum frame with black G-10 inlays.
* A 420J2 stainless steel locking liner.

Wow, umm... this is a really big knife. You can't tell from the pictures, and on paper, you might look at the specs and think "that's not really that much more." For EDC, this knife is not practical, at least not for me. For my BOB, however, this feels much more suitable. The lack of AutoLAWK is also frustrating, especially having come to love the system from the carrying the M16-10Z. Also, this piece was completely the opposite in regards to easy of blade deployment: you REALLY need to flick your wrist to get the blade into a locked position. Whereas the 10Z required little more than a fingertip's press to lock the blade in place, this requires a combination of wrist+full finger push in order to open. The inlaid scales on one side do allow for a solid grip, but realistically carrying this thing around just wasn't feasible. Frustrated, further research ultimately found me looking for a happy medium: something that was a bit larger and felt more solid than the 10Z, while not completely overcompensating like with the M18-14K.

The M16-13Z.
* Blade Length: 3.56 in.
* Blade Shape: Spear Point
* Blade Steel: AUS 6M, 55-57 HRC
* Clip: Clothing/Gear clip
* Handle Material: Textured Zytel Scales
* Knife Type: Folding
* Length Closed: 4.63 in.
* Length Overall: 8.19 in.
* Weight: 3.7 oz.

The 10Z's big brother, it looks and feels more... solid. I received this knife today and felt like it was made for my hand. The ease of opening the blade into a locked position was barely more noticeable than on the 10Z, and the presence of AutoLAWK is greatly welcomed! Personally, I prefer the spear-tip point to the tanto blade, but that is more personal preference. Zytel scaling again provides for a solid grip, but the additional weight of the blade overall really makes it fit well for my needs.

When researching online, and using a ruler, I tried to estimate as best I could the proper sizes, but found that only by really holding something in your hand would you have a good idea of what the knife felt like. With that said, below are a couple of pictures I took so that you can see a relative size for each knife:

The M16-10Z, M16-13Z, and M18-14K from left to right.
The M16-10Z, M16-13Z, and M18-14K from top to bottom.

At the end of the day, all three knives are fantastic; you won't walk away from buying any of them feeling like you wasted money, as long as you realize first what your needs are, what you like/don't like, and what's personally feasible for you. The M18, while large, will have a happy home in my BOB. The M16-10Z will be in my EDC bag, acting as a backup to my M16-13Z, which will now become my on-person EDC.
AZMedic wrote:Oh thats not sarcasm at all. We would be truly fucked.
Melpat wrote:That "lacquer coated" ammo causes Christ to curse, causes babies to cry at odd hours, and is responsible for flat beer.
I am AR/9mm convert/pie/red-wire classic-style.

TC

Re: The CRKT M16/18 Review Trifecta

Post by TC » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks for the reviews, I've been wondering about the 13Z for a while now, already having the 10Z and 02Z. Personally, I've gone off tanto blades and I don't really like having a combo edge on the 10Z, but that aside I've been very pleased with mine too. They really are great knives for the price, especially considering the AUTO-LAWKS and speed of deployment.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

thelung187

Post by thelung187 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Well, I've been carrying the 13Z all week, and a few things to note:

* still feels like a perfect fit
* despite the Z suffix, it's not actually Zytel scale grip, it's more a hybrid brushed-metal. Still a good grip, just not the official scaling
* definitely finding I prefer spear-tip to tanto
Melpat wrote:That "lacquer coated" ammo causes Christ to curse, causes babies to cry at odd hours, and is responsible for flat beer.

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:22 pm

First off, thank you for the reviews. I have a M16-10kz and I use it all the time. Of course, it feels perfect in my hands, so I guess they're small and I shouldn't look into any larger knives for EDC.

Also, I really like your avatar.

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:28 am

I'm on my second 13Z and bought one for the boy (for later). I love this knife and carry/use it everyday. My old one, before I lost it was carried daily for two years. I'll get another if/when I lose this one.

DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:26 pm

I love my M16-04Z:

Razor-Sharp Cutting Edge - Blade Length: 3.875" (9.8 cm) - Thickness: 0.14" (0.35 cm) - Steel: AUS 4, 55-57 HRC - Handle length: 5.375" (13.7 cm) - Overall length: 9.25" (23.5 cm) - Weight: 5.9 oz. (167 g)
I completely tore it down for cleaning. Lots of pics here:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=52777
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

tjsjr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dawn of the Dead (new edition, i know its corney)

Post by tjsjr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:34 am

So the regular shape non serrated version of the 10z would be?? I jist lost my edc knife the other day at work and feel naked without a knife and for the above mentioned reason I aint into spending big bucks on a knife that is more of a tool than a defense weapon.
Edit: link to $10 m16 ????

Defeater

Post by Defeater » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:56 pm

tjsjr wrote:So the regular shape non serrated version of the 10z would be??????
I know it's a necro, but in case you haven't already found out it's the M16-01Z. Non-serrated spear point for the win. This is my EDC knife and it's fantastic, razor sharp out of the box, super quick opening, and even I trust the locking system (I innately distrust folders).

Is there any rhyme or reason to the model numbers to the M16 knives? I can't for the life of me see any sort of pattern.
AK, .45 ACP (but aware 9mm will do the job), Red Wire, Pie, Seahawks.
Micro Survival Kit / Tactical Diaper Bag / Bugout First Aid Kit
Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878

thelung187

Post by thelung187 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Defeater wrote:
tjsjr wrote:So the regular shape non serrated version of the 10z would be??????
I know it's a necro, but in case you haven't already found out it's the M16-01Z. Non-serrated spear point for the win. This is my EDC knife and it's fantastic, razor sharp out of the box, super quick opening, and even I trust the locking system (I innately distrust folders).

Is there any rhyme or reason to the model numbers to the M16 knives? I can't for the life of me see any sort of pattern.
As far as a model naming convention, the M16 seems to deal with the semi-ergo style craft of the handle, as well as the inclusion of the AutoLAWKS. Blades ending in Z have (or are supposed to anyways) have the Zytel scales, supposedly allowing for a sturdier grip (though I have noticed a minimal if any difference). The 10 vs. 13, you've got me on that one... individual corporate numbering modeling I suppose, I can't find a rhyme or reason with relation to the blades themselves. The M18 has a totally different layout, and for that matter uses a different, harder steel for the main portion of the blade, so there IS a definitive difference between the suffixed models (M16 versus M18).

To answer the question on $10 10z's, it was from a reseller on ebay up in New England, but I just checked his page and can't find any. FWIW, I've purchased from the seller multiple times (named "whitemountainknives"), and I've always received my items exactly as described, NIB/plastic and speedy delivery. YMMV.
Last edited by thelung187 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tjsjr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Dawn of the Dead (new edition, i know its corney)

Post by tjsjr » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:08 pm

Yep I got one and it was sharp for a few cuts.

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:47 pm

I have the M16-10z and I have been carrying it for atleast 3 years now. It does need to be cleaned again [thats what happens with EDC and pocket lint] Also need to sharpen it again, I think I just may not be doing a well enough job because it does need to happen more then I would like lol. It is always fun to see people try to close it and not know about the saftey lock on it. Can also be a little dangerous because they end up fumbling around with the knife. not always good :P

Oguruma

Post by Oguruma » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:00 am

I have all of those blades, and they don't really impress me by any means. The AUS8 is the best steel option, and that is about a mediocre steel... They are popular around the military as well, but that only seems to be because they are available at just about any MCSS/PX...

I dont care for:
The steel used.
Tanto Points
Serrations

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:24 am

I've been carrying the M16 02 Z for about a month and I really like it. It's at the large end of what I would carry for EDC

"I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work."
Finch

TonyMang_89

Post by TonyMang_89 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:12 pm

I had a 16-10z and loved it . just make sure and loctite the belt clip

tjsjr

Post by tjsjr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:20 pm

I got the 16-01z and its alright just wish it would stay sharp longer. Also I found the side plates a little slick so I broke out the soldering iron and stippled them. No pics though yall know what they look like. Also kinda wish I would have got one of the tactical ones so it had more positive hand stops.

SniperBait

Post by SniperBait » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:53 pm

I have the M16-14SF(A) I love it. Hard to keep sharp, but worth the extra work. Go with the full hilt, much safer and gives you more options for flicking it open.

"Where they burn books, they will end in burning human beings." Heinrich Heine 1821
DON'T BUY KINDLE!

Boromokot

Post by Boromokot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:40 am

cool, +1 for the m16 line
i used to switch my edc between a m16-14LE and an m21-14(now i carry a zero tolerance 0200). Lots of people complain that the 14 size is too big for edc, whereas i find it perfect. i typically have my front right pocket dedicated to my folder and any large bills. i love the m-16 line from crkt, so i got my girlfriend a m16-10kz. they're definitely decent blades, and the autolawks just makes it feel that much more sturdy

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:13 am

I had the 10z version, and, honestly, the knife was too small for me. I carried it for a year or so, then found something different, which I EDC now. My new go to pocketknife is the ZT 0350. I like assisted opening knives, and both the 10z & the ZT have that, albeit the ZT is a little quicker, as it is spring assisted. And, the overall build of the knife is larger. With the smaller M16 one, it never fit my hand properly-that was my main gripe.
And, yes, these are sold in almost all PX's I have been to-I think that may be where I initially purchased it, actually.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

johncindy

Post by johncindy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:17 am

hi guys,
great job!!!!!

mattmayhem

Post by mattmayhem » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:37 pm

D-Train wrote:I've been carrying the M16 02 Z for about a month and I really like it. It's at the large end of what I would carry for EDC

I'm a fan of the M16 series knife.
I carry that exact M16-12z tanto blade on duty at work.

Off-duty the M16-10z tanto blade makes a sweet EDC and I always carry it.

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:28 pm

I have two of these M16 series knives, and carried one for around a year. It seems like the cutting edge just wore out. I could sharpen it right up, then a few days later it was back to being dull. After doing that for a few months I went and bought a Spyderco Delica. I will not be going back to CKRT.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”