Kelty MAP 3500 as an EDC backpack?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Aeacus

Kelty MAP 3500 as an EDC backpack?

Post by Aeacus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:46 pm

Ok, so I've been considering upgrading my EDC backpack. My current backpack is too small (regular book bag size) and I can't fit lunch, gym clothes, gym shoes and a towel into it without stuffing it to the gills and there is no compartmentalization to keep smelly gym clothes away from my lunch or newspaper. I'd like a pack that I could use for a weekend get away with the wife too. No camo, it would attract too much attention at work and/or the bus stop.

http://www.amronintl.com/products.cfm?r ... pageID=159" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found the Kelty MAP 3500 recommended as a tough medium size pack that looks “normal” and has a decent support system. The removable waist belt is a big deal for me as I’d like the belt for when I carry bigger loads but would rather take it off for every day use. I’m also hoping I can compress it down so that it looks like a regular sized bag during every day use when I don’t need every bit of space.

My concerns with the Kelty are that it will be too big for every day use (I’m a big guy at 6’6” 235 lbs but the pack looks large in the few pictures I’ve seen people wearing it). This link http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7973268" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; indicates it’s a 3500 ci pack rather than the 1950 ci listed in the specs on Amron. I really need to get out and go to a store and look over some of the camelback packs and try to see how many ci I really want.

Anyone have experience with this pack? Any others I should look at? My budget is $100 and I’d like to have the pack be hydration compatible.

111t

Re: Kelty MAP 3500 as an EDC backpack?

Post by 111t » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:05 pm

I love this quote from the second link...
"...and coincidentally those needs have a lot of parallels with the needs of the serious hiker. "
...Coincidentally the redwing 3100 is basically the same pack with slightly lighter weight fabric...
-Me

Kelty redwing 3100 is a very similar pack. Well made, though of lighter weight fabric. Less tacti-cool/more grey man. You may well be able to get one for less that $100 when the sales are on. Check the 'hiking daypack' kit in my sig for an idea of what it holds. I'll take a look to see what i can find at some of the outlets...

Regular price... a newer model than mine...
http://www.rei.com/product/780623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Holy Cr*p... Buy me...
http://www.campmor.com/kelty-redwing-31 ... _sku=90288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THAT is what i'm talkin' about!!!

It is a good sized pack... The 4 compression straps would let you compress the pack to a smaller size, for EDC.

If you want something smaller... You may try the Kelty redtail 1800. The build quality and materials are just like the redwing... but smaller 1800 cu size.

http://www.campinggeardepot.com/store/s ... d=41603181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm pretty sure you're right the MAP 3500 is a 3500 cube pack... not 1950.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

sammage
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by sammage » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:45 pm

Second the Redwing and Redtail, picked the Redtail up last year for $35 shipped new, and the Redwing for $50 shipped last year. Both have served me well. If you ever have problems with nalgenes falling out of the side pockets, just get a Grimloc on the compression strap, helps if you're using a Camelbak better bottle or something with a loop.
crypto wrote:Its a great shotgun for shooting people in the face, but I've got a whole room full of stuff I'd rather shoot someone in the face with.
Lionheart wrote:Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.

congochris

Post by congochris » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:01 pm

I've had a redwing for... holy crap, 11 years. Paid $80 for it in a store. Only thing wrong with it is it's not hydration compatible, as that wasn't a huge feature back then.

111t

Post by 111t » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:15 pm

Yeah it's a looong running model... with good reason. The more current versions of the redwing and redtail are hydration compatible of course.
All the best!
-Paul

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

Aeacus

Post by Aeacus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:08 pm

Well I went to Dick’s sporting goods last night (had a couple coupons) and their selection here was disappointing. No camelback packs bigger than the cloudwalker (1100 ci, roughly the size of my current pack). I tried on one of the Redwing 2650 packs and I think that would work for me. That campmor deal is almost too good to pass up on but I’m really tempted by the MAP 3500 in ocean gray. To me that looks more civilian pack than military (am I nuts?) and I like it a lot better than the Redwing’s color scheme.

I’m leaning right now to spend the extra bucks to get the MAP 3500 in the color I like. I’ve got a birthday coming up and hopefully the pack will last me a long time.

111t

Post by 111t » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 pm

(am I nuts?)
I don't think you're nuts. I've been eyeing the MAP for some time but it tended to stay at full retail. I picked up the redwing 3100 a couple of years ago... I just haven't had a reason to upgrade yet.

I know what you're saying about the colors on the MAP models. I would personally pick either OD or the brownish green one (Anaconda?)

I feel sort of like the scarecrow... some people go this way... and other people go that way... :wink:
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

armymech666

Post by armymech666 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:17 pm

the acu pattern is a bit lame, but that pattern comes in 1000d where the others are 500d.

Aeacus

Post by Aeacus » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:18 pm

armymech666 wrote:the acu pattern is a bit lame, but that pattern comes in 1000d where the others are 500d.
Yeah I'd love to have the heavier weight material (especially since ACU is also $20 cheaper :roll: ) but ACU isn't going to fly for me as a EDC/gym bag. My work place is pretty conservative and I take public transportation there, not many camo bags and they definitely attract attention.

edit: Ordered the ocean grey Map 3500 :)

NaturalMystic

Post by NaturalMystic » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:22 am

Kelty redwing 3100 is a very similar pack. Well made, though of lighter weight fabric. Less tacti-cool/more grey man. You may well be able to get one for less that $100 when the sales are on. Check the 'hiking daypack' kit in my sig for an idea of what it holds. I'll take a look to see what i can find at some of the outlets...

Regular price... a newer model than mine...
http://www.rei.com/product/780623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Holy Cr*p... Buy me...
http://www.campmor.com/kelty-redwing-31 ... _sku=90288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
THAT is what i'm talkin' about!!!....
Wow, I found this thread while Googling the MAP3500. I didn't notice the age of this thread but clicked on the campmor link and the Redwing 3100 is still on sale so I just grabbed one at the $49 price. Add $12 shipping to Canada and I'm good with that!
Thanks for the link!

johndoe

Post by johndoe » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:09 am

I use a Redwing for my BOB and, before that, used it for travel, for short hikes, and everything else you could imagine. It's a great, great pack, but it is a little bigger than I'd want for EDC.

Aeacus

Post by Aeacus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:27 pm

johndoe wrote:I use a Redwing for my BOB and, before that, used it for travel, for short hikes, and everything else you could imagine. It's a great, great pack, but it is a little bigger than I'd want for EDC.
The MAP is a bit big for an EDC but I'm 6'4" and have to fit gym clothes and size 13 shoes in the back along with lunch, my pocket raincoat (the kind that folds up into a small pouch), an empty camelback, my EDC first aid kit/basic kit and whatever else I'm bringing into work. I took the hip belt off but when it's fully loaded it does look like a hiking backpack. The nice thing is the compression straps make it look much smaller when I just have a lunch. If the color was just a bit more grey instead of green, I'd call it perfect. It's also made my back feel better than carrying my old gym bag around.

[edited to fix a spelling mistake that bugged me]
Last edited by Aeacus on Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murphnuge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bowling for Columbine and any other science fiction.

Post by Murphnuge » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:18 pm

I had a MAP in the Marines and loved it! I carried it for another year after getting out and gave it to my dad. Being MAPless lasted about three months before I ordered another from Amron. I guess I've had a MAP as an "EDC" for about six years now and the only thing I'll complain about(yet I find useful from time to time) is the open top water bottle carriers.
Death smiles upon us all, the U.S. Marine smiles back.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:17 pm

I bought a MAP 3500 years ago while training at Coronado. It held up to a few years of hard military use. I've since used it for dayhiking, weekend trips, and as a bookbag for school. My only gripe is that now I wish I had one in a non-military color. As for the size being a concern, it compresses well when not stuffed out and will look fine as an EDC (especially if your 6'+). I really liked having the front organizer pockets for pens and such. I also love having a sturdy daypack that doesn't have MOLLE all over it. With the hip belt attached, you can carry some serious loads. My girlfriend used it for her first weekend camping trip a few years ago (I've since bought her an Osprey), and carried 30lbs-ish for 5 miles with no problems - and she was not an experienced hiker then. One word of caution, the shoulder straps are HEAVILY padded and thick, which might lead to some discomfort with excessively heavy loads or long hikes. I also found out that they are not very compatable while wearing a flak jacket. I guess I've talked enough the old MAP 3500. They're great packs and used by us amphibious warriors for reason. I'd post a pic, but my last name, blood type, and last 4 are still boldly sharpie-ed, you know, back before everything had hook & loop all over it.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”