The GHB. Comments?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Jeffcee

The GHB. Comments?

Post by Jeffcee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi Folks,
Here is my Get-Home-Bag. It has been built mostly out of stuff I got for free and lives in the trunk of my car.
Stuff not pictured, but I would have if needed are:
A SAK, Doan bar and mini flashlight (always in my pocket)
a wool blanket, a coffee can, a sleeping pad, umbrella, 3 more 8 oz bottles of water.

so here is the bag itself:
Cost: free

In the flap pocket:
Maps of AO: free at AAA
2 cliff bars: $2
Gatorade mix: $.30
Sunscreen: $3

In the WB pouch and back pouch:
1 Liter Steel Bottle: Free
Emergency flashlight/Lantern/ Radio-Weather band/ clock: Free (gift)

First Aid Fit
Container: free

Contents
Some was free, some not: lets say $2

Front interior pocket
Lil' Folder (I filed the serration off, as I do not plan to slice bread with it): Free (gift)
2 12 hour light sticks: free
2 zip-ties: $.10
pack of tissue: Free
Ulu knife: free (gift)
Handkerchief: $1

Rear interior pocket
Notepad and pen: Free
Reading material: Free (gift)

Shelter
Cordage: Free( left over from moving a couch)
Poncho: Free (gift)
Emergency Blanket: Free

Handy stuff
Bag of tissues: free
Zippo:free
Coffee filters all in plastic bags:free

Brew Kit
in bag
steel cup: free
lint: free
home made fuel tabs: Free
Home Made candle:free
Tin a: B-day beeswax candles and matches: $.50
Tin b: tea and honey: $.50
Tin c: nothin' yet (suggestions?)

Extra Clothes
beanie: free
tshirt: Free
undies: $1
socks: $1
big scarf: $4

Protection from the elements
Hat: Free
Anorak:$20

In case I cant find any
2 Bottles of water:$.90

There you go. What should I add? what do you like? Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Jeffcee on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Defeater

Re: The GHB. Comments?

Post by Defeater » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Man, this is like the complete antithesis of tactical, aesthetically at least. But it looks like for the most part the price was right, and you've got the essentials, so I couldn't fault you that.

Just out of curiosity, what's the farthest distance you've got to go to get home under normal circumstances?
AK, .45 ACP (but aware 9mm will do the job), Red Wire, Pie, Seahawks.
Micro Survival Kit / Tactical Diaper Bag / Bugout First Aid Kit
Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:57 pm

Defeater: Maybe 20-30 Miles. I want to look as un-tacticool as possible, so thanks!

Arch

Post by Arch » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:20 pm

Les Stroud's book is a good read, but I wouldn't hump it around. If I were going to carry a survival manual with me, it would be the mini-version of Wiseman's SAS guide.
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

colorsafe

Post by colorsafe » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:44 pm

great "bargain GHB" :wink: .

you should add some more free food and water though when you can.

:!: watch out for the collapsible baton in california (i saw your maps of los angeles, etc), they are a felony if found on your person or belongings :!: .

Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:36 pm

colorsafe wrote:great "bargain GHB" :wink: .

:!: watch out for the collapsible baton in california (i saw your maps of los angeles, etc), they are a felony if found on your person or belongings :!: .
My thinking exactly...just get a good hiking pole, or continue on with your "free" tread and get a good sturdy tree branch for use as a walking stick/animal thumper.

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

Power Fail

Post by Power Fail » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:38 pm

Another word on that baton, what brand is it? Because based on the price, the look of the holster, and the look of the baton itself, I had (/maybe somewhere still have) the exact same one, and I assure you that the one I have is garbage. It was something I picked up at a surplus store for 20 -30 bucks.

In short order, almost every time I went to snap/extend it, the end that extends would just disconnect, fly out, and hit the ground in the direction I whipped my arm, leaving me standing there with half a baton like a jackass. Maybe yours is better and you just got an awesome deal on it, maybe you've tested the bejesus out of it and it works like a charm, but if not, you might want to examine/test it a bit.
JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Shaper wrote:

My thinking exactly...just get a good hiking pole, or continue on with your "free" tread and get a good sturdy tree branch for use as a walking stick/animal thumper.
Oh, and I would beef up your FAK everywhere (but more specifically with some trauma items), get a reliable compass (or two), add more food as previously suggested, and add a firesteel rod for good measure.

I would also replace that Ulu knife with a traditional fixed blade knife. It would save you a lot of headache if you plan on having to do any real bush-craft or utility work.

ETA: Due to the wonderful laws of both CA and Los Angeles...I honestly could not tell you if a certain blade is legal to carry or not. I just tried to look over their blade laws just out of curiosity, and apparently they have been through a lot of changes over the past few years. I am coming up with so many different answers as to what would be acceptable for you to have in your GHB. You might want to do some research yourself before making the decision to carry any blade. God bless Commiefornia. lol.

mantis

Post by mantis » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Defeater wrote:Man, this is like the complete antithesis of tactical, aesthetically at least. But it looks like for the most part the price was right, and you've got the essentials, so I couldn't fault you that.

Just out of curiosity, what's the farthest distance you've got to go to get home under normal circumstances?
I'd think that being the "complete antithesis of tactical" would be a very strong virtue in most disaster scenarios.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Defeater

Post by Defeater » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:30 pm

mantis wrote:
Defeater wrote:Man, this is like the complete antithesis of tactical, aesthetically at least. But it looks like for the most part the price was right, and you've got the essentials, so I couldn't fault you that.

I'd think that being the "complete antithesis of tactical" would be a very strong virtue in most disaster scenarios.
I know, but the fad of decked-out MOLLE packs and what-have-you nowadays is overwhelming. This is actually kind of refreshing.
AK, .45 ACP (but aware 9mm will do the job), Red Wire, Pie, Seahawks.
Micro Survival Kit / Tactical Diaper Bag / Bugout First Aid Kit
Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Thanks for the tip on the baton. It's coming out.
I've taken a bunch of Christopher Nyerges' survival classes in LA and see food everywhere now. I also am usually able to find water. Even so a pack of ration bars and a extra liter would be easy to shove in there. I'm doing it. Thanks.

Arch

Post by Arch » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:53 pm

Jeffcee wrote: I've taken a bunch of Christopher Nyerges' survival classes in LA and see food everywhere now.
I use to really enjoy his articles in American Survival Guide. Anyone else remember that magazine :lol: ?
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 pm

Power Fail wrote:Another word on that baton, what brand is it? Because based on the price, the look of the holster, and the look of the baton itself, I had (/maybe somewhere still have) the exact same one, and I assure you that the one I have is garbage. It was something I picked up at a surplus store for 20 -30 bucks.

In short order, almost every time I went to snap/extend it, the end that extends would just disconnect, fly out, and hit the ground in the direction I whipped my arm, leaving me standing there with half a baton like a jackass. Maybe yours is better and you just got an awesome deal on it, maybe you've tested the bejesus out of it and it works like a charm, but if not, you might want to examine/test it a bit.
Its a Schrade. I got it on sale at lapg. I've yet to wail on anything with it, but it seems to extend and collapse when I want it to. Its going into the night stand to crack skulls of home invaders.
Seem like such a silly thing to be illegal.

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:00 pm

Shaper wrote:
Shaper wrote:

Oh, and I would beef up your FAK everywhere (but more specifically with some trauma items), get a reliable compass (or two), add more food as previously suggested, and add a firesteel rod for good measure.

I would also replace that Ulu knife with a traditional fixed blade knife. It would save you a lot of headache if you plan on having to do any real bush-craft or utility work.

ETA: Due to the wonderful laws of both CA and Los Angeles...I honestly could not tell you if a certain blade is legal to carry or not. I just tried to look over their blade laws just out of curiosity, and apparently they have been through a lot of changes over the past few years. I am coming up with so many different answers as to what would be acceptable for you to have in your GHB. You might want to do some research yourself before making the decision to carry any blade. God bless Commiefornia. lol.
If used it a few times for little chores like shaving kindling or whatnot. Works pretty well, but thats a good point about the blade laws. I love my home state. Really.

Mantis and Defeater: Thanks!

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:04 pm

Arch wrote:
Jeffcee wrote: I've taken a bunch of Christopher Nyerges' survival classes in LA and see food everywhere now.
I use to really enjoy his articles in American Survival Guide. Anyone else remember that magazine :lol: ?
Here is a link to his current magazine http://www.wwmag.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and one of his sites http://www.dirttime.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both worth a stop.

EricinVirginia
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Shaun of the Dead, The Office

Post by EricinVirginia » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:07 pm

I like batons. Go for it. For a get home bag that will pass muster everywhere however, replace the baton with a small crowbar. I like the idea of being un-tacticool... but honestly, I think your bag stands out too much. Anyone you pass who sees you is going to remember you and your bag. Unless that's part of the plan, you're calling lots of attention to yourself. The other thought I had was you should grab some cash and a spare house key. It'd suck to finally get home and be locked out. You could spare up space by dumping the t-shirt, unless it's there for layering. I mean, logically, you didn't leave home naked so you must have some form of clothing on. Dump the t-shirt, add some socks, if you're worried about layering grab something thermal rather than a cotton T-shirt.

Shaper
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:41 pm

Jeffcee wrote:
Shaper wrote:
Shaper wrote:

If used it a few times for little chores like shaving kindling or whatnot. Works pretty well, but thats a good point about the blade laws. I love my home state. Really.

Mantis and Defeater: Thanks!
BTW...I didn't mean to belittle your home turf or anything. I lived there for almost 6 years. I suppose since I grew up in the south that I never took to the mind set of most of the folks in and around LA. My apologies if there was any offense. You have a good start on your GHB. Take care. :mrgreen:

Power Fail

Post by Power Fail » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Jeffcee wrote:
Its a Schrade. I got it on sale at lapg. I've yet to wail on anything with it, but it seems to extend and collapse when I want it to. Its going into the night stand to crack skulls of home invaders.
Seem like such a silly thing to be illegal.

I've seen and thought about picking up that exact one on LAPG. If you do ever test it out, let me know how it holds up. If it passes muster, I'd definitely consider picking one up. And glad to see you didn't get the POS that I did :lol:
JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Shaper: No offense taken. My response was a little tongue in cheek. :)

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:25 am

Some of this has been stated above, but if I were you I would:

Add more food, even if it's Cliff bars. For the size/weight of the Stroud book you could have like 6-8 more bars.

Beef up the first aid. My brother had a freak accident where I was very happy to have some gauze and pads to stop the bleeding. Worth the (negligible) weight.

I think anything would be better than the Ulu for general use. A $12 Mora would be much more useful.

Swap the cordage out for some 500 cord. $5 and a HUGE improvement.

I would at the very least double the water.

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:28 am

Jeffcee wrote:Thanks for the tip on the baton. It's coming out.
Smart.

SixStringRazor

Post by SixStringRazor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:36 am

I'm really diggin the Madagascar bag.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:02 am

I'd trade the baton for a small fixed blade ... unless you can't have them in LA also. A small pry-bar is a good idea too.

You FAK items are the same as mine - because maybe our respective work places get FAK supplies from the same company? :lol: (hence "free"). Some gauze pads and some duct tape or roll of gauze added? Of course, you have other items that could be used for that kind of cut/injury too.

Keys and cash are also good ideas.

Good work!
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Aceman
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, Shock Waves, Night of the Living Dead (original), and Shawn of the Dead - oh heck - I like them all!

Post by Aceman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:03 am

I dig it! Very low-key. I don't care about tacticool looks at the point where I need to use a bag - ergo trumps stealth for me.

Overall I really like the contents except a few things mentioned before:

#1 Smaller survival manual
#2 More water
#3 More first aid

Otherwise - gonna be tough to do much more on zero budget. Kudos - excellent work!

I need to try this...the for free version.

By the way - how does it carry?

Return to “Bug Out Gear”