Inexpensive Tough Bugout Coat

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RatDrall

Inexpensive Tough Bugout Coat

Post by RatDrall » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:44 am

I need a tough but inexpensive bugout coat. I live in the northeast so it has to be warm enough to handle zero degree weather, or loose enough for extra layers underneath.

Money is an issue, I'm on a winter layoff. I've been checking out surplus stuff, but I'm not sure what works and what doesn't.

Thanks guys :D

chr0nos

Re: Inexpensive Tough Bugout Coat

Post by chr0nos » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:52 am

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/u ... px?a=59123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Belt BOB
http://www.campingsurvivalgearreviews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:10 am

I actually have that jacket, and its not as warm as I expected it to be. For the price it's still a great piece. The liner is removable which is cool, but the front buttons annoy me.

I would suggest getting a slightly oversized M65 field jacket with liner, so that you can layer underneath it. You can also buy the cold weather fluffy hood for it if you want extra weather protection.

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 am

Thanks for pointing me in that direction, I just ordered one of these:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/u ... x?a=341250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dragk913
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, "Dead" Series, etc.

Post by Dragk913 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:48 am

RatDrall wrote:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/u ... x?a=341250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow. That seems pretty cool.
Let us know how you like it, once you've gotten some time to test it out.
Hoppy wrote: ZS. We put body parts in sheep.

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Dragk913 wrote:
RatDrall wrote:

I'll post a review!

Subdiver

Post by Subdiver » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:03 pm

I'd recommend Duluth Trading Company. They make good stuff, and if it's rated for Minnesota winters...
1911, 1894, 1903, 1300. Single Malt, Green wire.

Illegitimi non Carborundum

"I decided that I couldn't afford to like everybody anymore. I went on a low social-cholesterol diet. No more fat-heads."

- Utah Phillips

My ass is on a boat, but my heart's in my forest.

iamkwood

Post by iamkwood » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:40 pm

RatDrall wrote:
Dragk913 wrote:
RatDrall wrote:

I'll post a review!
i'm jealous
iEngineer '09-'10
NJPC '04
iSurvived Junior Night '09

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:43 am

My vote for a tough bugout coat is something like this. Lightweight, Durable, and warm. Also is partially waterproof/wind proof.

Its just a standard snowboarding jacket. Its what i use during the winter here in South Dakota.

I beat the hell out of mine, and it has yet to even unravel a thread. Taped seams to keep you dry, and everything cinches down to keep water/snow/wind out.

Plus its camo :lol:

*EDIT and fairly inexpensive
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:37 pm

Hit your local Thrift store, most of the coats at my local stores are barley used or Store returns. I've never paid more than $15.00 for coats and have gotten Nofth Face, Columbia, WetSkins, and Various Military Coats.

Miles

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:53 pm

I just recieved this parka and it is really nice. It is a little tight around my shoulders, but most large sizes are. I need to experiment and find out if I will be able to pack a sweatshirt underneath, or if I will just have to stick with long sleeves. Wearing it around the house the coat is very very warm. I'm not sure what kind of insualtion they used, but it is thin and light and works well. With our current snowy mess I should have no trouble testing it out shoveling snow.

The condition is as described: excellent. They removed all Austrian military markings, leaving only a few marks where the patches were. There are no loose threads, tears, etc. or any other sign of abuse. It feels like a coat that was worn for a short time then put away. There were a few spots from storage, but they washed off with a wet washcloth (the goretex seems to work, the moisture from the cloth beaded up and ran off instantly).

I'm planning on a hike next week, later in the week. I will update then on how the coat performed out in the weather, for hiking and various camp chores.

Based on the fit of the coat and the looks, I'd buy a second one at this price if I were comfortable wearing military looking gear in public.

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:41 pm

I bought a small pile of milsurp Gen II Gore-Tex jackets 4-5 years ago, and gave them out as Christmas presents to my bros. Most are still in use. Mine is still a daily wear jacket to school and whatever.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:50 pm

RatDrall wrote:

That looks like a great buy.

Too bad they don't have any XXL. :(

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

sammage
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by sammage » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Shaper wrote:
RatDrall wrote:

That looks like a great buy.

Too bad they don't have any XXL. :(
Or an XL.
crypto wrote:Its a great shotgun for shooting people in the face, but I've got a whole room full of stuff I'd rather shoot someone in the face with.
Lionheart wrote:Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.

bloodpet

Post by bloodpet » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:07 am

As I am much closer to the source of those jackets, I am already wearing one of those on a daily basis. I really like the Austrian's uniforms since I've worked together with some of them on a bigger exercise.

I had to remove the insignia myself, but that wasn't really a problem.

I impregnated the jacket after buying it. The Gore-Tex still works in general, but in much stressed places like the elbows it is ripped I think so it's not 100% water proof anymore. Heavy rains have still gotten me a bit of wet, but not very much. The outer shelling begins to soak rain again, so I will have to add a new layer of impregnation I think.

I really like the fit of the jacket.

As a plus (as usual with military clothing) you have a good amount of pockets. Four outer pockets on the front with buttons and two inner pockets with zippers (I like this fact a lot - save wallet).

The arms have an extra "crease" on the back of the shoulders to allow for good arm movement. The ends of the arms can be closed around your wrist - there are three buttons to keep them in the wanted position. On first sight I thought mine had seems already ripped. That is not the case. The arms have openings at the end. Those openings allow water to run out from the outside of the gore-tex layer and the inside of the outer shelling. Hard to describe, but it's no malfunction.

The hood is stored in the collar of the jacket. It is not very thick, but waterproof and has a tight fit, which enables you to wear it under the helmet, not as the German rain-coat, which is intended to be worn above or - better - instead of a helmet. You can adjust a neck strap to fit snuggly around your neck, when it's getting cold. The collar (with the hood in it) is really very warm and really comfortable.

Also there is a waist strap that can be adjusted on the inside to keep the jacket near the body. Most of the time that's very loose on me to have a good air conditioning - I only tighten it when it gets really to cold to keep the wind from crawling up on me.

The jacket gets closed with a front-zipper and some buttons above that in order to close the wind-cover. Above the right upper front pocket there is space for a name-sign.

One little downside is the straps for the insignia on the shoulders. They sometimes come loose, when wearing a rucksack, because the buttons are not that tight. But that does not happen too often and isn't a real problem when out in the country.

Overall I really like the jacket. I don't think of it as a stand alone winter-jacket though. It's intended to be used above another layer, to keep you dry. Another layer is supposed to go underneath to really keep you warm (onion principal). That way it can be worn from fall over winter to spring (or even in wet summers). I usually wear a wool-pullover underneath in winter and just a t-shirt in spring/fall.

Overall the jacket is totally worth it's price to me (I paid 35 Euros, if I remember correctly). It's no high-end gore-tex jacket for an expedition to the south pole but therefore it's solid, rain-proof, it has a nice color (military style without being camouflage) and for it's price is nearly unbeatable. I have some military parkas (no gore-tex ones though, because I didn't like the german rain-jacket in service), but this is the one I am wearing most of the time.

@Raddrall: Looking forward to your experiences with the jacket and have fun shoveling snow.
Suum Cuique

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:17 pm

offcamber wrote:
I actually have that jacket, and its not as warm as I expected it to be. For the price it's still a great piece. The liner is removable which is cool, but the front buttons annoy me.

I would suggest getting a slightly oversized M65 field jacket with liner, so that you can layer underneath it. You can also buy the cold weather fluffy hood for it if you want extra weather protection.
If you do go for a surplus M65 field jacket, I second getting one that runs a size too big so you can layer under it. They're not really "waterproof," but from my experience, they're good enough unless it's just outright pouring outside. I already have two M65s and would like said hood, lest I'm forced to make one of my own. I've looked online before and haven't found anybody selling the hoods, just historical military sites with uniform descriptions and such. Any links would be appreciated.

Also, if I do end up having to fabricate one, what fabric would be recommended for the outer since I haven't seen bolts of NYCO sateen fabric for sale. Color-matched pack cloth was a consideration of mine since cordura might be too heavy, let alone more expensive, but I'd like something suitably water-resistant. I was considering stitching three panels together with a synthetic fleece liner and a drawcord tunnel with cord locks at the end and attaching it to the collar with BDU buttons if I go that route; still need to work out a suitable pattern though. Suggestions for that would be good too.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:32 pm

Crimson Phoenix wrote: I already have two M65s and would like said hood, lest I'm forced to make one of my own. I've looked online before and haven't found anybody selling the hoods, just historical military sites with uniform descriptions and such. Any links would be appreciated.
Hmm, I bought two of them at a local surplus store new unissued.. they button on to the jacket, and are both OD green with a big fluffy synthetic fur edging. The tag inside when I bought it said they were specifically for use with the M65.

I'll dig them out of the closet and get an NSN number for you.. that should help.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:30 am

OK, here is the info from inside the hood.

Company: Propper, NSN: 8415-00-782-3004

Hood Extreme Cold Weather, w/ Synthetic Fur Ruff, OG-107 DLA100-83-C-0526. Fits Field coat and M-65 parka, as well as the older M51 jacket.

After a quick search, this place has them for $12.

http://militiaoutlet.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=18

Hope this helps.

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:31 pm

offcamber wrote:OK, here is the info from inside the hood.

Hood Extreme Cold Weather, w/ Synthetic Fur Ruff, OG-107 DLA100-83-C-0526. Fits Field coat and M-65 parka, as well as the older M51 jacket.

Hope this helps.
Haha, the name Militia in anything tied to my card worries me, but you sir are awesome and have my thanks. May still look into making one of my own, and this wouldn't be a bad guide at all, especially for its price.

Edit: Actually, it was great you gave the NSN too, did a little searching around and found it for a bit higher but similar price at a Police/Tactical supply store out of Washington State. Thanks again. http://www.shomer-tec.com/product/m65-f ... od-216.cfm

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:36 pm

Crimson Phoenix wrote:
offcamber wrote:OK, here is the info from inside the hood.

Hope this helps.
Haha, the name Militia in anything tied to my card worries me, but you sir are awesome and have my thanks. May still look into making one of my own, and this wouldn't be a bad guide at all, especially for its price.

Edit: Actually, it was great you gave the NSN too, did a little searching around and found it for a bit higher but similar price at a Police/Tactical supply store out of Washington State. Thanks again. http://www.shomer-tec.com/product/m65-f ... od-216.cfm
LOL, sorry about that, didn't even look at the name of the company, just posted up the first place I found them for sale.. I probably wouldn't order from there either.

Glad you found another site with them for sale.

bluedog2
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland (of course), 28 Days Later

Post by bluedog2 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:35 pm

I went by the local Tractor Supply store and bought a brown hooded canvas coat that had been waxed so it is water/wet resistant and has a blanket wool liner for warmth.

Even shoveling in the snow from the past two weeks I didn't get cold.

My second favorite is one of these Israeli Dubon coats. Warm, waterproof and rolls nicely for stowage.

http://www.israeli-forces.com/cgi-local ... ow_product
"You can kill more zombies with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." -- Al Capone, if he was being attacked by the undead

slingstone

Post by slingstone » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:23 pm

This season the zipper on my old brown barn coat had begun to fail. That along with the cotton duct fading and wearing through signaled this would be it's last winter. Now, I'm not in a financial position to own multiple coats; so any replacement purchase has to work for daily wear as well as formal wear and camping/bugout/sledding wear. As nice as the Austrian and German GORE - TEX® coats are functionally, I think the surplus olive drab look is a little too casual for taking my lady out, formal family gatherings, etc.

I shopped around REI for their season-ending sale; all really nice stuff but still too pricey. Also kept an eye on Sportsman's guide hoping for something new in brown or black overseas surplus. Luckily I was checking my email during the day and stumbled upon this beauty. They are currently sold out, but it was offered in size medium only, both olive and black at a cool $40: allegedly 83% off retail.
Needless to say, I jumped on the deal, even if I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting. I've been using that old cotton-synthetic-wool barn coat for a long time and never owned/used a down coat before so I've got a few questions:
Did anyone else around here get in on this deal?
Is 80/20 down / feather fill good?
Do I need to know anything special about caring for a down coat? I'm a little concerned about waterproofing/performance-when-wet considering the old down vs synthetic sleeping bag argument.

I'll provide a short review when in arrives (in 5-7 business days) and assess the situation then: whether it's just as described, actually name brand or factory seconds or something else. Always a bit of a gamble buying stuff over the internet.

iamkwood

Post by iamkwood » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:46 pm

anyone like the peacoat? i bought one because it was 35 $ but then it became in vogue, so i feel like a girl when i wear it. honestly, its 100% wool and it smelt and you could feel the dye at first; but now it's fine and VERY warm.
iEngineer '09-'10
NJPC '04
iSurvived Junior Night '09

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:49 pm

Get yourself one of these:

It's an old style Canadian Army Parka and you can get them on eBay and in surplus stores pretty inexpenively (usually <$100). Incredibly warm. Tons of pockets and very durable.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”