Best Food (per volume)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Veldruk

Best Food (per volume)

Post by Veldruk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:32 pm

Hey guys, I've been building a BOB over the past several months and currently it just has some cans of tuna as the food source.

I've been reading through these forums and have seen many people fall back on rice and beans and have even heard mention of raman noodles.

This got me wondering what the most efficient food source would be if you take into factors like weight, volume, and prep time.

My biggest issue with rice and beans is even tho they are a decent source of calories per volume, they don't seem to have much else. On a 1 lb bag of rice you are looking at about 1,000 calories; the same is true with beans. Beans are nice because they provide more protein then rice. But both rice and beans require you to prepare them to get the most nutritional value from them.

Depending on the disaster scenario given, stopping to cook might not always be feasible, but cans of tuna seem to take up to much space/weight for what they provide. (100 calories per can, but 2 cans take up as much room as a 1 lb bag of rice.)

So my question is this:

Have the members of ZS found a silver bullet as far as portable food is concerned? One that requires optional preperation and is light and compact enough for travel?

Dubbya

Re: Best Food (per volume)

Post by Dubbya » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Have you considered the tuna that is sold in pouches?

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:42 pm

Good question - I don't think I'd want to rely on rice & beans in a foot bugout either.
There is no single best answer for you (unless the answer is "peanut butter") :). But the good news is that this forum has lots of potential answers at hand.
Do a search on "Easy Cheese" here and you'll find a nice one. A little playing around with the search function should get you lots of threads with advice. (Sorry, I'm not in a situation to run the search and offer specifics myself.)
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:43 pm

+1 on the foil packs of tuna. spam also does foil packs, and you cant go wring with peanut butter and honey.

ogreboy

Post by ogreboy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Chocolate.

A pound of Hershey's chocolate comes in around 2400 calories and doesn't take that much space, but I like to mix things up, a couple packets of tuna(not cans), some corn nuts, some energy bars, maybe some jerky, and if you have cooking equipment then maybe a couple of mountain house meals, or if not some MRE entrees. Some drink mixes, like instant breakfast or protein shake and a container to mix them in is good too. I know I crave both sugar and salt when I am extremely active so I try to have both easily accessible. If all that doesn't do it then through in a jar of peanut butter.
Don't confuse where you are going, and who you are taking with you. -Sean Kennedy

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:11 pm

I've tried a ton of different trail foods, but when it comes to an emergency kit I've pretty much settled on these

That's a 2400 cal SOS ration pack and a standard one lb peanut butter jar (2850 cals). When you see it in person that's a really small package and a good two days worth of food. They both taste good, they even taste good together, and the prep is opening them and licking your spork clean for the PB. The SOS has a five year shelf life under huge variations in temp, while the PB must be swapped out every six months or so. As far as things I don't mind eating, that take up very little space, these are the winners for me.

The above mentioned chocolate is good as well, and if you carry tuna I'd carry some tortillas as well. Peanut butter and honey on some crackers gives you a huge dose of fats, protein, and carbs, and the taste is hard to beat.

Dragk913
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, "Dead" Series, etc.

Post by Dragk913 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:35 pm

Emergency Ration bars are by far the best food per volume.
I carry 3600 cal. bars.
Hoppy wrote: ZS. We put body parts in sheep.

KarnEdge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by KarnEdge » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Tony Chachere's Jambalaya Mix (840 Calories)
Spam Singles (250 Calories)

1090 Calories... Very compact, and weigh almost nothing. Very filling meal.
The Jambalaya mix is about 3" x 1.5" rolled up with about 1/2" thickness at most.

Plus it's very tasty compared to Emergency Rations.
"What if Pinocchio said 'My nose will grow'?"
- Philosoraptor
[Introduction Post]

Veldruk

Post by Veldruk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:48 pm

Over the past 2 years I've lost 150 lbs. A beneficial, but unforeseen, side effect was that I no longer view food as a pleasure item; it is merely a means to give my body energy. So luckily for me, I could eat the same thing for a year and probably keep my sanity a lot longer then your average american.

But holy crap! Peanut butter totally escaped my radar as something that could be survival food. I think it's somewhere around 100 cal per Tbl spoon (or maybe it was 250, it's been a long time since I've looked at a jar.) And it's amazing that my brain is stuck in "can o' tuna" mode- totally forgot about the packets. I'll probably still keep a can or two in circulation for the benifit of having the can and lid left over after consumption.

I'm not looking for a year long supply, but something around the 2 week period that could keep me fed long enough to asses what I'll need to do and have it done.

Tomorrow I'll be posting my 1st version of my BOB and have it opened to corrections or suggestions. Thanks for the input guys!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:54 pm

As has been pointed out above, and will likely be pointed out below, there is no single "best" food...

You wouldn't want to live on it for long, but peanuts, raisins, and chocolate chips in a 3:1:1 (-ish) ratio provides a pretty good balance of carbs and fat and protein, and is about as nutrient dense as food comes.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:06 pm

I echo the advice I have seen given on here... whatever you pick, dont have it be some strange food you never eat. Pick a food you can add in to your nomal diet, from time to time... Or a food you already have as part of your diet. The point being, switching your diet up 100%, along with the stress & other factors of a bugout/emergency situation, can bind up your guts... or give you the shits.

spacecase0
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil series

Post by spacecase0 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:22 pm

pure alcohol is also has lots of energy,
so a 6 pack of everclear should do well,
I am just not sure how to consume it without to many side effects.
"1911, AK, corn bread, red/blue wire neutral"
people in america still like to pretend they are free, the day they know they are not, they will stop pretending

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:38 pm

Thats seems... dumb :?

edit: Sorry, out of line... you did give the caveat- "I am just not sure how to consume it without to many side effects." But still, I dont see too many "energetic" drunks.

BunkerBuster
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by BunkerBuster » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:22 pm

maldon007 wrote:Thats seems... dumb :?

edit: Sorry, out of line... you did give the caveat- "I am just not sure how to consume it without to many side effects." But still, I dont see too many "energetic" drunks.
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil. - Ted Nugent

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:32 pm

add MILK to the list! :lol:

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:35 pm

WhoShotJR wrote:I've tried a ton of different trail foods, but when it comes to an emergency kit I've pretty much settled on these

That's a 2400 cal SOS ration pack and a standard one lb peanut butter jar (2850 cals). When you see it in person that's a really small package and a good two days worth of food. They both taste good, they even taste good together, and the prep is opening them and licking your spork clean for the PB. The SOS has a five year shelf life under huge variations in temp, while the PB must be swapped out every six months or so. As far as things I don't mind eating, that take up very little space, these are the winners for me.

The above mentioned chocolate is good as well, and if you carry tuna I'd carry some tortillas as well. Peanut butter and honey on some crackers gives you a huge dose of fats, protein, and carbs, and the taste is hard to beat.
I would imagine that the PB would make you very thirsty. Unless a good water source was availabel how do you handle it? On the positive side I guess that the PB could be used in traps to catch wild critters as a lure.

I would say that MRE's stripped down of the excessive packaging would be better. Some prefer the Mountain House meals. I carry some of the foil packets of: tuna, spam, BBQ chicken and the various flavored tuna ones as well as several MRE's. In a container by my mess gear I have some hard candy to kill those sugar cravings. You need to round out your food selection based on your activity levels for starters. I prefer protien over carbohydrates in my gear. Whether right or wrong in philosophy.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:45 pm

yeah a little PB and a few good mouse traps ( keep em in the BOB ) should get you some squirrel dinner........or lots of ants! 8)

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:49 pm

aa1pr wrote:
WhoShotJR wrote:
I would imagine that the PB would make you very thirsty. Unless a good water source was availabel how do you handle it? On the positive side I guess that the PB could be used in traps to catch wild critters as a lure.

Most pb is quite low in sodium, so while your mouth might be sticky for a while, and you need some water to process food, pb won't increase the amount of water you need by much.

More importantly, if you don't have access to an adequate supply of clean drinking water, it doesn't matter what you've got to eat, or how much of it. You'd be dead.

elkhills
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth

Post by elkhills » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:04 pm

aa1pr wrote: I would imagine that the PB would make you very thirsty. Unless a good water source was availabel how do you handle it?
If you don't have an adequate water supply, you shouldn't be eating much of anything. Digestion (of anything) requires a lot of water. If you're rationing water (that's a whole 'nuther topic) you should be eating small snack sized portions every few hours.

Peanut Butter rules because of this:
25% Carbs=Energy (4 Calories per Gram)
25% Protien=Builds and repairs Muscle and your Organs (4 Calories per Gram)
50% Fat=Used for Energy and necessary for hormones and other bodily functions (9 Calories per Gram)

Fat is the most Calorie dense of the macro nutrients, ie. you'll get the most bang for your buck. Peanut Butter is half Fat, yet also has the other 2 macro nutrients your body needs. It's also cheap, stores a long time and tastes good with chocolate! :D

Luthifer
Favorite Zombie Movies: My movie consumption is shameful. Or awesome. I watch few movies.

Post by Luthifer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Now that you can get the Tyson chicken breast in pouches, and the ready-rice, you're pretty damn close to a good meal, even in the woods. Believe it or not, chicken and rice with peanut butter is awesome, very much like a Thai dish. Carry a little packet of ginger and soy, and you're there. Calorie dense, protein rich, carbs, fat, frigging delicious. Find some wild onions, and you're in heaven. The pouched spam, and pouched tuna are in my bag as well. The Knorr rice dishes are great, too, and lightweight. You'll need to add water, but you can just use pond water, boil to purify, and add the pouch. Check the labels on the ready-rice, and the Knorr stuff, particularly the flavored ones with veggies and such- there's a lot of nutrition in there. The non-organic PB keeps for about a year, too. Honey will last indefinitely.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Not Benjamin Franklin

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Luthifer wrote:Now that you can get the Tyson chicken breast in pouches, and the ready-rice, you're pretty damn close to a good meal, even in the woods. Believe it or not, chicken and rice with peanut butter is awesome, very much like a Thai dish. Carry a little packet of ginger and soy, and you're there. Calorie dense, protein rich, carbs, fat, frigging delicious.

I always forget about using PB in dishes like that, but good point. Maybe you could make a rough version of a mole (however you spell it) sauce from chocolate as well.

Damn, I'm hungry.

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Post by GunsUp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:29 pm

The lifeboat rations are the way to go if you want calorie dense, they are also prep free.

I did a calorie density and taste comparison for the lifeboat rations, MRE's, MH meals and even threw in a cliff bar.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... oat+ration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However I don't think I'd wanna eat nothing but that for 3-5 days so I split my calories 50/50 with field stripped MRE's

1x 3600 calorie bar + 3x field stripped MRE's = 7350 calories.... 2500 cal / day for 3 days or 1470 cal / day for 5 days.

I used to have peanut butter and honey, but I decided it was too much of a mess... and might give me some serious intestinal dysfunction.

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Post by GunsUp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:31 pm

WhoShotJR wrote:I always forget about using PB in dishes like that, but good point. Maybe you could make a rough version of a mole (however you spell it) sauce from chocolate as well.
nah mole (you spelled it correctly) uses unsweetened cocao.... sweet chocolate will taste like ass.

I know this because I have had a lot of bad mole (both too sweet and zero sweetness).

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:33 pm

GunsUp wrote: I used to have peanut butter and honey, but I decided it was too much of a mess... and might give me some serious intestinal dysfunction.

Why do you think you'd have stomach problems? PB eaten in quantity has plenty of fiber. Is it all the fat you're worried about? Just curious cause I've never tried to live of PB and honey for days at a time. :lol:

Return to “Bug Out Gear”