Kelty Red Cloud 6650 -- Looking for Opinions

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

killzombies
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Diary, Dawn and Night!

Kelty Red Cloud 6650 -- Looking for Opinions

Post by killzombies » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:23 pm

I searched. There were 4 threads with it mentioned but nothing dedicated to it or really covering it in depth.

http://www.backcountryedge.com/kelty-rc-6650-09.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found it there for ~$170. I tried on a 5500 at BassPro the other day and it seemed very comfortable. Is anyone else using one of these or does anyone have an opinion? Building an INCH is kind of on my list of things to do this year and I'm hoping to use this bag for that purpose. Also, I plan on getting back into backpacking. I'm not concerned with it being too big for a 2-4 day hike. I'll either fill it or it'll just be empty...after all you can never have too much water.

I'm 6' 200lbs and in decent shape.
I'm hoping to only own one bag (not for life but it would be nice if it lasts more than 5 years).
I'm aiming for an INCH that weighs in ~60lbs.

Not really sure whatelse to say so ask anything that helps with your opinion giving.
Selling 5 round OEM licensed production Saiga-12 mags, plastic with metal feed lips, new out of wrapper (I test loaded each mag to make sure they loaded. Don't forget to slide the shell all the way back before pressing down >.<).

$18/each,
2 = Free S&H
5 = Free S&H + free mag

DaveJohns
Favorite Zombie Movies: C-SPAN!

Re: Kelty Red Cloud 6650 -- Looking for Opinions

Post by DaveJohns » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:52 pm

It is a nice pack. One of my hiking buddies uses one, and it looks like it holds up well. I like the multiple pockets more than on my Vaude pack, of course the Kelty is a little heavier I think for the same volume. And wow, that thing is, well, RED. A more sedate pack cover may be a good idea.

Not a bad price.

EDIT: just read that last part, about the 60# thing. Will that pack support that much weight? that would be my biggest concern at this point. (That, and the fact that a 60 pound pack isnt any fun. At all.)
"It could be that the purpose of my life is simply to serve as a warning to others"

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

killzombies

Post by killzombies » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:15 pm

60# would be my INCH/training load. I don't think I'd ever need that much weight for a hiking trip you know? I don't know if it'll hold that much/how long it will hold that much. I'm hoping someone here has some experience :)
Selling 5 round OEM licensed production Saiga-12 mags, plastic with metal feed lips, new out of wrapper (I test loaded each mag to make sure they loaded. Don't forget to slide the shell all the way back before pressing down >.<).

$18/each,
2 = Free S&H
5 = Free S&H + free mag

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:28 pm

I absolutely LOVED my Red Cloud. However, I lost the detachable top portion (read: my family didn't respect my property and now I don't know where it is) and the pack is essentially useless without it. However, I've always loved Kelty's, having had a number of day packs, external frames, and the Red Cloud. My favorite part is the zippers though. Bomb-proof and easy to use even with gloved hands. I also love how they use the space. A lot of packs boast about XXXX cubic inches or whatever, but this space is actually USEABLE.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:47 pm

I can't comment on that particular pack, but Kelty makes good products.
"I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work."
Finch

congochris

Post by congochris » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:58 am

D-Train wrote:I can't comment on that particular pack, but Kelty makes good products.
+ 1 - My Morainne is somewhere north of ten years old, and is only now starting to show it's age with the stitching coming loose on one side of the top flap/pocket. This poor pack has not only slugged around loads over 40 pounds on occasion, it's been used as luggage more than once. If baggage handlers couldn't break it, I doubt it's going to die any time soon. :lol:

sammage
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by sammage » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:29 am

congochris wrote:
D-Train wrote:I can't comment on that particular pack, but Kelty makes good products.
+ 1 - My Morainne is somewhere north of ten years old, and is only now starting to show it's age with the stitching coming loose on one side of the top flap/pocket. This poor pack has not only slugged around loads over 40 pounds on occasion, it's been used as luggage more than once. If baggage handlers couldn't break it, I doubt it's going to die any time soon. :lol:
My Redtail hauls plent of ammo and a Camelbak to the range, and the Redwing has survived being crammed into many overhead compartments.
crypto wrote:Its a great shotgun for shooting people in the face, but I've got a whole room full of stuff I'd rather shoot someone in the face with.
Lionheart wrote:Some times I wish a pissed of bird/birds would try and break into my place just so I can tell teh internetz that I effectively employed birdshot in a HD situation. Till then I'm sticking with 00.

NorrisUnleashed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead.
World War Z(I know not a Movie)

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:03 pm

+1
I had a redcloud, but like 10 or 11 years ago. I dont know how many model changes they have had in that time. I loved it! It was my hiking pack, I learned to go back packing with it. One of things I like my current pack (cfp-90 mil surp) is that it reminds me of my old redcloud!! I used mine for a lot of trips and it never wore out. I ended up selling it to my brother in law and uses it to this day.
Draugrbitr

killzombies

Post by killzombies » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:50 pm

NorrisUnleashed wrote:
+1
I had a redcloud, but like 10 or 11 years ago. I dont know how many model changes they have had in that time. I loved it! It was my hiking pack, I learned to go back packing with it. One of things I like my current pack (cfp-90 mil surp) is that it reminds me of my old redcloud!! I used mine for a lot of trips and it never wore out. I ended up selling it to my brother in law and uses it to this day.
good enough for me.

thanks to EVERYONE who replied. you guys are a wealth of information.

$18/each,
2 = Free S&H
5 = Free S&H + free mag

Return to “Bug Out Gear”