Keeping It Together

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RatDrall

Keeping It Together

Post by RatDrall » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:35 pm

In your bugout bag, how do you keep small, similar items bunched together so that you don't end up with a pile of crap in the bottom of the backpack?

I'm looking for a number of small, light and thin zippered containers to organize my BoB better. Anyone know where to go look? Everything I've found has been too big and takes up way too much space.

CryHavoc

Re: Keeping It Together

Post by CryHavoc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:41 pm

I've been wondering the same thing. Gander Mountain has lightweight stuff sacks I've been thinking about buying.
Zombie women love me for my Braaaains!
If the 'Zombie Apocalypse' started today, how would you know somebody wasn't just filming a movie?
A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
KnightoftheRoc wrote:The end result is, you can't convince a closed mind, and you don't need to convince an open one.

MSurber90

Post by MSurber90 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:56 pm

I use a ziploc bag or a small plastic container.

Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Can they fit in film canisters? Usually free from pic developing places.

Small soda/water bottles?

Spare/cheap nylon or leather knife pouches? I can get them for you dirt cheap... PM for details

Altoid tins?

Make a duct tape wallet for them?

Just a few ideas while not really answering you OP... sorry...
I have a Photogenic memory - I only remember things which make me look good

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Post by GunsUp » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:30 pm

I use a variety of storage items. I keep sharps (needles, razors, fishhooks) in a little plastic tube that drill bits and machining tools come in. I keep other very small items (pills, bandaids) in little tiny ziplock bags I get at craft stores in the bead sections. I keep liquids in gallon size freezer bags. I keep medium sized items organized into ultralight waterproof nylon dry bags from walmart (http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Products- ... B001AZNATC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

I use the big one for clothes, the medium one for repair parts (duct tape, paracord, zip ties, wire, sewing kit) and other miscellaneous items. The small one is carried on an outside pocket of my pack with TP, hand sanitizer, spare batteries, headlamp, bug repellent and other frequent or urgent use items.

Generally speaking the most efficient way to pack is to organize items into kits based on functionality (keep all meal related items together, personal hygiene, fire kit). So that you don't have to dig for 5 different things when you want to sit down and have a meal.
Last edited by GunsUp on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luthifer
Favorite Zombie Movies: My movie consumption is shameful. Or awesome. I watch few movies.

Post by Luthifer » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Home depot has sets of three zippered nylon pouches, I got mine on sale for 3 bucks. They come with a useless little 'biner to keep them together. Here's a pic from my FixKit thread-this is the medium of the 3.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
-Not Benjamin Franklin

tireiron

Post by tireiron » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:54 pm

With things like this:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/tactical-pocket-pouch.html

The clearance section at LA Police Gear always has several of these type items.

Academy Sports and Wally World also have simple, flat, zippered pockets with a mesh window that are cheap/handy, but my google-fu isn't turning up any links...

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:19 pm

You guys are awesome, thanks :D

Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Try CountyComm.com for that matter...
I have a Photogenic memory - I only remember things which make me look good

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:01 pm

REI sells all kinds of zipper and stuff sacks. You can get them in mesh, completely waterproof, whatever.

Risc_Terilia

Post by Risc_Terilia » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:43 pm

I use these but I make them myself to I can make them to order vs. what has to fit inside it. You can make one by hand in about an hour, you need some nylon mesh, a toggle and some paracord.

Dragk913
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, "Dead" Series, etc.

Post by Dragk913 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Another idea for smaller items are the Pencil Bags (the ones for school that hold pencils/markers) and shaving kit bags from Walmart/Target.
Hoppy wrote: ZS. We put body parts in sheep.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:31 pm

Like in the mapcase thread - Ziplock bags. I also reinforce them with duct tape along the edges.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

deeds

Post by deeds » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:45 pm

I use stuff sacks like these by Lifeventure:

Baba Brad

Post by Baba Brad » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:38 pm

Being in aviation and flying internationally a lot, I keep the bags from the amenity kits. Great for the tool box, back pack, BOB, gun box and what ever you can think of. Also, I save the little plastic boxes of band aids and what nots.
1.S.1.K wrote: :twisted: ZS, It always comes back to sheep.

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:43 pm

i really like the eagle creek packing "cubes" for organizing suitcases. They would also work great for organizing a BOB.

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:13 am

I personally use these little pouches that i picked up at target for only $1 (in the travel section) Work well for me to keep personal hygiene stuff separated as well as other stuff.

there about 8 inches long by 3 inches wide fully stuffed.
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

Glennbo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Glennbo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:05 am

I've heard of others using widemouth Nalgene bottles, and although I have several, I don't use them for anything but water.

I lucked into a great expedient storage system for my cr123 lithium batteries. Those little, light blue Q-Tip travel packs that they sell in department/drug stores (I think they hold about thirty Q-Tip cotten swabs) are an exact fit for six cr123 batteries. It's not waterproof, but it holds all six perfectly, and keeps them from being beaten, damaged, and rattled around.

After trying different sized plastic containers and having no success, I finally stored my headlamp in the middle of a roll of duct tape. Then after I decided to put Paracord in there instead, I moved my headlamp into one of those purple with gold lacing Crown Royal bottle bags. I first constructed a small, foam pouch to fit around the headlamp with packing foam and duct tape, then put it in the bag and cinched up the drawstring. Not a perfect solution, but it works well enough.

Fortunately my bag also has many different compartments and pockets to hold things.

Zip lock bags hold a lot of the smaller stuff.

I use a recently purchased Snow peak titanium 21 ounce cup to hold extra, zip-locked socks. This in turn is held in the mesh bag it came with to keep the metal from making noise. But in retrospect it seems like the titanium should protect an item that's fragile. I might try to put my headlamp in there.

Another thing I do has worked out well for me. You want to carry extra socks anyway, so why not stuff things in these socks. The thick, Merino wool socks I carry hold boot laces, batteries, a small gun cleaning kit, extra zip-locks, elastic bands, money, toiletries (travel-sized deodorant, powder, soap, safety razors, toothbrush)...the list is endless. As long as you don't put things in them that can puncture the sock they work great! When full, I fold mine up and wrap them with those elastic bands women use on their hair to keep them closed. Socks make great carry cases!
Last edited by Glennbo on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
"There are a lot of things I've been blamed for that I never did. But then there are a lot of things I did and never got caught at." ---Johnny Cash---

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:53 am

I use the same ones DriftKing uses, I have about 20 of them around the house with all sorts of things in them lol. There are even some bigger ones from walmart that you get for about 2.50. There are also the cheap stuff sacks from wal-mart, forget how much they are but you get 3 differnt sizes, I think a few of us have done little mini reviews on them.

rhunter1
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (remake)

Post by rhunter1 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:06 pm

+1 for the Eagle Creek pack cubes. For my marauder it's like tetris sometimes ;)

The aforementioned ziploc bags are good and Kifaru pullouts...they are good (and also easy to make if you're on a budget)

eugene

Post by eugene » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:15 pm

I bought a dedicated toiletry bag for all that kind of stuff and since I don't need a lot of toiletry items that others use (like hair gel or cologne) I was able to merge my first aid stuff with it.
I use a couple ziplocs to hold some items and a small plastic case to hold batteries. Then my backpack has a few different divided sections.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

Return to “Bug Out Gear”