Possum Gloves

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

WhoShotJR

Possum Gloves

Post by WhoShotJR » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:20 pm

I did a lot of research on, and spent a lot of money on, cold weather clothing in 2009 in anticipation of a particularly cold winter this year. One of the things I ran across and just had to have were these possum down gloves. I mean, they're made with possum hair and come from New Zealand? Had to try em. They claim that the hollow core structure of the hair makes it 'one of nature's best insulators'.

http://www.fromnz.co.nz/cart.php?target ... ory_id=379

Today was my first chance to really try these out. I knew they would only be good for a liner glove because the fiber structure is really loose and wind blows right through them. Keep in mind that I have extremely cold hands and find it very difficult to keep them warm in even moderately cold weather.

I'm out this morning in about 20F weather splitting and stacking firewood wearing a pair of Manzella insulated waterproof gloves and my hands are freezing to the point of being painful. Decided now would be a good time to test out some of the liners I had bought.

First was a Manzella polypro liner. They definitely were the most comfortable of the ones tested and added warmth for sure but after 10-15 min my fingertips were still quite cold.

Next was a military wool glove liner. The least comfortable of the bunch, and the second warmest. Only paid around $5 for them and they did warm my entire hand to the point where they feel cool to the touch on another part of the body, but warmed me to the point where there was no discomfort at all.

Last were the possum gloves. I forgot to mention before, but I let my hands get cold again in between trying each of these so I could get a fair comparison. I was actually amazed by these gloves. Within 5 minutes of putting them on it felt like there were warmer packs in my gloves. I could take the gloves off and my hands were actual normal, warm, touch your wife temp which is amazing for me. They are going to stay in my EDC bag as long as cold weather lasts.

The cost in USD is $19.15 plus shipping from NZ (wish I remembered how much that was, don't think it was outrageous), so not cheap but to me it's worth every dollar to be able to have warm hands in cold weather.

Sorry about the lack of pics, didn't think about making a thread about it until tonight.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Possum Gloves

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:34 am

now i know what to do with that possum that keeps climbing over my fence!

thanks for the review. i could use something like that now. i dont have gloves...ok i did, but dont know what heppened to them, after all im in FL and i dont need gloves to keep my hands warm. :roll:

well we went to a few stores tonight and nobody has gloves. so much for global warming ( there was light snow in north central FL this morning )

yep, snow in FL! :shock:

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:42 am

I slept in late-ish, but there was still a light dusting on the truck this morning. Glancing through the local online news, some people actually had enough to mke small snowmen.
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:13 pm

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:now i know what to do with that possum that keeps climbing over my fence!

:
+1

I have been looking for some gloves this winter, but after this last cold spell. I am not to sure we are going to be getting any more cold weather that would require gloves! LOL

[same thinking also kept me from buying a new jacket for the past 4 years hahah, Glad I did get one 2 months ago ;) ]

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Good review. However, I absolutely will not wear possum anything. Just...seems too wierd. :lol:

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:05 pm

TDW586 wrote:Good review. However, I absolutely will not wear possum anything. Just...seems too wierd. :lol:

Not even these
http://www.fromnz.co.nz/cart.php?target ... ory_id=374.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:16 pm

possum fur is the bee's knees. when I was in NZ I bought a pair of gloves and a hat. I don't wear the gloves too much cause I'm worried about wear (I sent my SO a pair in the mail and she managed to ware through most of the fingertips in one winter).
the hat however, is a most excellent piece of kit, fantastically light and very warm. perhaps even more breathable then a normal knit watch-cap too. highly recommend anything possum!
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:42 pm

TDW586 wrote:Good review. However, I absolutely will not wear possum anything. Just...seems too wierd. :lol:

But it's a New Zealand possum. Those little zombie bastards down there deserve to be killed and worn.
[img][IMG]http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... r_corr.jpg[/img][/img]]

Sorry, no idea how to resize the pic to make it work.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:49 pm

*GASP*

LOOK AT ITS CUTE LITTLE NOSE! AND ITS CUTE LITTLE HANDS! AND ITS GIANT EARS!

I'm not knocking the insulative properties of its fur, though.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:50 pm

Those little zombie bastards down there deserve to be killed and worn.
amen to that! I almost got one with a fish net, but I was too drunk to catch the little bastard
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:22 pm

OT

Why does it look like he has blood around his mouth!?@#!

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:26 pm

yossarian wrote:

Not even these
That was not what I expected when I opened that link :shock:

This thread reminds me of the night I hit 2 possums with my car.....

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:28 am

Milkboot wrote:OT

Why does it look like he has blood around his mouth!?@#!

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Cause that's where it all begins, man. I'm trying to tell you, kill em now while we still have a chance. :wink:

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:29 am

Big B wrote:

You don't own a set a possum fur nipple warmers? And you think you're prepared for PAW? :lol:

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:34 am

WhoShotJR wrote:
Big B wrote:

You don't own a set a possum fur nipple warmers? And you think you're prepared for PAW? :lol:
Well.... I guess I'm not :shock: (and to be honest now I'm not sure I want to be....)

:lol:

possummerino

Post by possummerino » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:57 am

Interesting views
Last edited by possummerino on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Big B wrote:
yossarian wrote:

Not even these

My ex gf who was a total vegetarian animal lover creamed a raccoon one night. She stopped the car in the middle of the road freaking out and I had to calm her down for like 20 minutes. We get back in the car and, I shit you not, 1/4 mile down the road she nails a possum...epic fucking meltdown :lol:

Also, what a coincidence that possummerino's only post is in this thread. I smell a possum fur sock pocket :?
You are
What you do
When it counts.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”