Cool way to Mod most pill bottles

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gillis

Cool way to Mod most pill bottles

Post by gillis » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:27 pm

So my wife is a Pharmacy technician and showed me something cool you can do with most pill bottles that are childproof. You can put them on the edge of a table, slam down on it with your hand, and the big bulky child safety lid pops right off. What is left is a really low profile cap that easily screws on or off. Since I do this do most pill bottles that I use/reuse in my kit I thought I would share. It makes them easier to use in the field especially barring injury to one hand.

Cheers

dragonguard

Re: Cool way to Mod most pill bottles

Post by dragonguard » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks for the tip .I've been wasteing my time cutting them off with my pocket knife.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:02 pm

DannySkillZ wrote:So my wife is a Pharmacy technician and showed me something cool you can do with most pill bottles that are childproof.
Cheers
Let me get this right......it took a technician to figure this out????

I'm just saying!
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

wolf_from_wv

Post by wolf_from_wv » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Also note that: Veterinary pill bottles aren't childsafe... (At least the one I have states that it isn't...
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

gillis

Post by gillis » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:42 pm

bltjr1951 wrote:
DannySkillZ wrote:So my wife is a Pharmacy technician and showed me something cool you can do with most pill bottles that are childproof.
Cheers
Let me get this right......it took a technician to figure this out????

I'm just saying!
lol yeah :)

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:09 pm

And here I thought that was how you opened beer bottles.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Ruderpinne
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them.

Post by Ruderpinne » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:11 pm

bltjr1951 wrote:And here I thought that was how you opened beer bottles.
lol
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Thomas A. Edison
Redeker_Plan wrote:I fucking hate clowns. Seriously. Serious hate. Serious fucking hate.

If that fucker was hiding in a bush and jumped out at me....

I seriously fucking hate clowns.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:11 pm

Yeah, but what do you do with a million and one pill bottles, regardless of if they're easy to open? That's the one that has me utterly stumped.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Ruderpinne

Post by Ruderpinne » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:14 pm

shrapnel wrote:Yeah, but what do you do with a million and one pill bottles, regardless of if they're easy to open? That's the one that has me utterly stumped.

recycle?
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Thomas A. Edison
Redeker_Plan wrote:I fucking hate clowns. Seriously. Serious hate. Serious fucking hate.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:19 pm

That, sir, is an affront to everything I know. I have loads of them- there must be something preparedness-related I can use them for, and feel superior about. :lol:
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Ruderpinne

Post by Ruderpinne » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:22 pm

shrapnel wrote:That, sir, is an affront to everything I know. I have loads of them- there must be something preparedness-related I can use them for, and feel superior about. :lol:
Make small bombs out of them?
Thomas A. Edison

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:26 pm

shrapnel wrote:Yeah, but what do you do with a million and one pill bottles, regardless of if they're easy to open? That's the one that has me utterly stumped.
Figuring each one holds about 2 Oz that would equal 15625 Gal...
Water storage????

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:38 pm

Umm they could hold match sticks, tinder, you could play a very tiny game of bowling using em and a big marble?

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by shrapnel » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:50 pm

Tinder sounds like a decent idea. You could have, like, a pill bottle bandoleer.

On second thought, I see that going very badly, should one accidentally wander into the crackhead section of town. :shock:

gillis

Post by gillis » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:54 am

Sckitzo wrote:
Umm they could hold match sticks, tinder, you could play a very tiny game of bowling using em and a big marble?
I think we're onto something cool here. 50 caliber ball bearing for the bowling ball?

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:14 am

DannySkillZ wrote:
Sckitzo wrote:
I think we're onto something cool here. 50 caliber ball bearing for the bowling ball?
That could work, we just gotta teach the hamsters to bowl, be like the lobster knife fights... without the dickery.

congochris

Post by congochris » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:37 pm

See, I was considering using a pill bottle, one of those 10 for $5 on blak friday home depot flashlights and some silicone caulk to make a ghetto glo-toob. One of these days I might get up the nerve to give it a try....

Arcana71

Post by Arcana71 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:31 pm

DannySkillZ wrote:put them on the edge of a table, slam down on it with your hand
Or ask for the easy-open caps.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:17 pm

Yeah, but what do you do with a million and one pill bottles, regardless of if they're easy to open? That's the one that has me utterly stumped.
Little teeny Molotov cocktails.

gillis

Post by gillis » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:32 pm

Arcana71 wrote:
DannySkillZ wrote:put them on the edge of a table, slam down on it with your hand
Or ask for the easy-open caps.
Right... but that only applies for prescription drug purchases. I can't remember the last time I got prescription drugs. This also applies for over the counter drugs, vitamins, etc.

There are lots of good use for a plastic container in a BOB. (Vaseline soaked cotton balls. Iodine kit. Mixed supplements. Matchstick holder. Pine pith holder. artifact carrier... ex Indian beads arrowheads, flint, steel wool, fishing kit, battery kit, ball bearings for your slingshot, bone craft needle kit, turn them into smoke bombs, the list goes on and on) It's good to at the very least consider the option.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:08 pm

And here all these years I've been using my bench vise to open them.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:39 am

Bear would stick them up his bum to open them.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

Return to “Other Gear”