wyoming winter bugout....

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wyominglostandfound
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead
resident evil

wyoming winter bugout....

Post by wyominglostandfound » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:33 pm

just had to get away for a couple days. holiday slump i guess. or maybe the full moon?

I hunt therfore I am

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Re: wyoming winter bugout....

Post by Sckitzo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:37 pm

Just spent two weeks at Camp Gurnsey, looks familiar :lol:

I like that tent though, it's sharp who makes it?

And fix your cameras clock :P

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:18 pm

i really like your shelter and stove set up...thats one of the shelters you make right? they are out of my price range, but i totally dig them!

ill trade you an alcohol stove for a teepee!... :lol:

nice pics thanks for sharing!

BadComic

Post by BadComic » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:44 pm

That is beautiful country. Does your stove heat the tent well enough to stay in there all night with minimal clothing on?

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:14 pm

it is one of the first 5 man tipis that i built. i have spent over 20 nights in it so far and as far as summer, it is way too
hot for this tent. only winter use from now on. the nylon is urethane coated and incredibly strong. it is on the heavier side
and i think a yd. of it weighs more than 2 ozs. will have to do a weigh in but the tent is near 5 lbs.

the stove will run you out and we were down to our skivies. but the outdoor temp was 0 so that was alright. boiled and cooked
in no time flat. the bigger 10 man needs a bigger stove and i am still tinkering with a couple new stoves so pics. will be coming shortly.

thanks for the comps!!!
I hunt therfore I am

Bryan Breeden

Post by Bryan Breeden » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:23 pm

Very cool set up. Seeing how your setup is, gives me a idea. I have been wanting to do a tipe style set up, but just was not sure how to do it. I have seen some other tipi set ups but yours. looks like I could do that up the way i am wanting. I do not have a stove like you do, but I have a thought as to how I am going to put my fire in my tipi when I get it done.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Bryan

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Post by GunsUp » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:37 am

Bryan Breeden wrote:Very cool set up. Seeing how your setup is, gives me a idea. I have been wanting to do a tipe style set up, but just was not sure how to do it. I have seen some other tipi set ups but yours. looks like I could do that up the way i am wanting. I do not have a stove like you do, but I have a thought as to how I am going to put my fire in my tipi when I get it done.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Bryan
I'm not a tipi expert, but I will mention that nylon is flammable and will melt to your skin if your not careful. I strongly recommend against starting open fires in a tipi or tent. get a stove or deal with the cold :P

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:26 am

right all the way Gunsup........ no open fire inside a tipi unless it is plains indian style and then only
one with a 14 ft. diameter or more. not saying it can't be done but it would be very dangerous.
sparks and smoke can kill. there are some tricks though........ anyone heard of a dakota fire hole??
I hunt therfore I am

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:45 am

wyominglostandfound wrote:...anyone heard of a dakota fire hole??
Sounds dirty... :shock:

On topic, though, nice setup, and the scenery is one of the reasons I would love to get the hell out of S. Indiana some day and move to a mountain state!

Curious as to why you didn't clear the snow out of your TP. Was this a before picture and you cleared things out after that? Seems like a recipe for a wet sleeping bag!
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:06 am

DM.... that is too funny this early in the morning. glad my mind's not the only one in the gutter.

we clear snow from the sleeping side and then put a tarp down. the other side keeps our food cool.

heres what the menu looked like....

lunch after camp setup..... corona, bratwurst on rye buns and german mustard, oil and vinegar chips.

dinner first night.... sirloin steaks and homefried potatoes, braunschweiger on crackers, sicilian blood oranges and coffee.

breakfast day 2..... leftover steak and eggs, bacon and high fiber multi grain montana wheat bread. orange juice and coffee.

lunch day 2.... roasted chicken and steamed carrots and broccoli, cranberry juice and coffee.

I hunt therfore I am

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:14 am

you guys are eating like KINGS out in the sticke...i love it ! :D

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Post by GunsUp » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:19 am

Hell I'm not eating that well at home.

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:56 am

gotta have good fare when your out in the cold..... old outfitters will work you to death but at the end of the day,
there is prime rib or brisket or t-bones on a daily basis. they feed you well so they can hammer the shit out of you with work.
I hunt therfore I am

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:14 am

i suspect you pay the outfitters well for that fine food. :wink:

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:35 pm

wyominglostandfound wrote:we clear snow from the sleeping side and then put a tarp down. the other side keeps our food cool.
Well. That's smart as hell. Keeps your grub cold, keeps critters from sneaking up for a bite since the scary humans with their scary fire are in immediate proximity. How in God's name did I not figure that out?! :oops:

Damn, wyoming, I've just added a tidbit to my winter camping knowledge! Thanks!
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:56 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:
wyominglostandfound wrote:we clear snow from the sleeping side and then put a tarp down. the other side keeps our food cool.
Well. That's smart as hell. Keeps your grub cold, keeps critters from sneaking up for a bite since the scary humans with their scary fire are in immediate proximity. How in God's name did I not figure that out?! :oops:

Damn, wyoming, I've just added a tidbit to my winter camping knowledge! Thanks!

still a good idea to have a loaded shotgun handy..... Bears don't care too much about scary humans. dogs will keep them at a distance though.
I hunt therfore I am

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:40 pm

Oh hell, I'd work for that kind of grub! Outfitters will feed you good, but that's darn good for being out there. I need to go hunt WY!

AFA heat in a nylon tipi without a fire, consider a propane space heater (such as a Buddy Heater). Depending if you car camping anyway, the small tank/heater won't be a huge problem, plus there's no exposed flame, a low oxygen shutoff, etc. I use one in my ice shack all the time when it gets stupid cold.

A dakota fire works great if the ground's not overly frozen, but you still have to deal with the smoke - which is worse than a fire anyday in my book.

NXP

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:11 pm

If that stove does not provide enough warmth to heat that tent that looks very cold with the snow on the ground even if it is only a little bit. But I am sure it must roast you out of there! Nice setup that you use. I want either a hammock or a teepee of some sort or both in the future.

zippoxiii
Favorite Zombie Movies: Is it cliche to say the original Romero trilogy?...probably. Oh well.

Post by zippoxiii » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:38 pm

wyominglostandfound wrote: Image
This pic here really sets the mood. but the date is fouling up the vibe a little bit
Can you just turn the date off on the camera all together, or is that part of the brokenness?

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:44 pm

zippoxiii wrote:
wyominglostandfound wrote: Image
This pic here really sets the mood. but the date is fouling up the vibe a little bit
Can you just turn the date off on the camera all together, or is that part of the brokenness?
Maybe? Have to play with it to find out. If your stumped might be able to find a manual for it on the cameras site or failing that trying something along the lines of "How do I fix/turn off my date time stamp for my cameranamehere?" in google might work.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Never bring an unvented fire into a tent. I have read my share of horror stories involving people going belly up from suffocation and or poisoning from the gasses. There are shelters made for this but these are few and far between. I don’t remove the snow inside my heated floorless shelters, rather just put down a ground cloth under my bag and sit on a closed cell pad. The snow either slowly melts away or turns crunchy. I never been flooded out by the stove melting snow.

Wyoming.

Those are some good eats. :D

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:06 am

Love the whole set up. As well as the backdrop. I must make it to Wyoming.

lunchboxTBC
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by lunchboxTBC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:08 am

Man, that looks fantastic! Love that view!

The size of that stove is killing me, though... where's the trailer to haul it with?
Someone asked me about my bug out bag last week, "You have all this STUFF in your truck, do you want the world to end?"
I said, "That's like saying someone who carries a spare tire around WANTS to get a flat or someone that carries around jumper cables WANTS a dead battery.
He didn't get it.

wyominglostandfound
resident evil

Post by wyominglostandfound » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:42 am

the stove is only for use when we have the truck to haul it. it packs up fairly small
but is still made from heavy iron and would not be packable. the stovepipe is not the
rollup stuff but rather the single wall hardware store nesting type. i have a roll of 29 gauge
steel but i have not cut it to length yet. like i said, i have a couple stove projects going but
nothing ready to use yet. tent building and getaways keep getting in the way......

will get rid of the time stamp if i can....
I hunt therfore I am

Return to “Bug Out Gear”