Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:47 pm

slingstone wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:Brushed my teeth with it a few years ago to do a review on this thread. I almost gagged when I brushed my tongue with it. There's some pictures somewhere of me pre gagging.

The peppermint is awesome on a hot day in the dirt and you are bathing in a cold creek. Very refreshing. The stuff is my main outside adventure soap and sees use at home too.

ETA: Here ya' go... a past thread with me gagging myself on the stuff.
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... it=bronner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks ninja-elbow; I guess I didn't look deep enough in the archives.
No problem - it was buried deep (2007). If I had not remembered the episode so well due to me almost puking I never would have dug that deep either. :)

This thread did remind me that I need to go out last night and pick up some spare empty travel bottles though. My usual soap bottle is a 4 ouncer but that's a tad big for an over-nighter or 2 so I went with a 2 oz. bottle. Needed some little lidded tubs too to carry more pomade for my hair.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Ahkaine

Post by Ahkaine » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:01 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Needed some little lidded tubs too to carry more pomade for my hair.
Are you a "Dapper-Dan" Man? :D

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:45 pm

Ahkaine wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:Needed some little lidded tubs too to carry more pomade for my hair.
We only got Top, I c'n order it, take two weeks.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

EECHAY

Post by EECHAY » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:36 pm

I actually carry some of the peppermint soap in a couple of tube vaults in my BoB and EDC. They won't break and the lids close tight. I haven't actually used the soap though. :lol:
~We think in generalities, but we live in detail.
-Cpl Green, USMC, OIF I

Ammonium
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Ammonium » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:07 pm

I discovered and started using Dr. Bronner's thanks to that last thread, and have been using it for the past couple years. The almond variety is my main shower & (diluted) hand soap. A quart bottle lasts through a year of daily showering. $15 for a year of high quality soap is an amazing deal.

If you want to sample it, American Apparel stores carry the small (and large) bottles in several scents.

EECHAY

Post by EECHAY » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:31 pm

That's good info. Thanks.
~We think in generalities, but we live in detail.
-Cpl Green, USMC, OIF I

kevlarknight

Post by kevlarknight » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:14 pm

After using the eucalyptus and peppermint flavors of this soap I can honestly say that they are my personal hygiene product of choice.

They leave you with that amazingly clean feeling that I thought only synthetic environmental damaging soaps could provide.

And after a hot shower with the eucalyptus verity, you don't just feel clean, you feel saved. :mrgreen:

You can't go wrong with the peppermint or eucalyptus.

Also that burning feeling ya get, kinda like the one that you get when you've spent the night with a woman of ill repute, just means the soap is working :twisted:

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:16 pm

kevlarknight wrote: Also that burning feeling ya get, kinda like the one that you get when you've spent the night with a woman of ill repute, just means the soap is working :twisted:
Except I don't have to endure the awkward "So, you wanna go get some breakfast at Denny's or somethin?" conversation the next morning with the soap.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:16 pm

The bar soap may be expensive, but the bars last a REALLY long time. if you use the liquid soap, dilute it 50/50 with water - it will get you just as clean and last even longer.

Dr. Bronner's SAL Suds are great for all types of other household cleaning. I use mine for laundry, floor mopping, and hand-washing dishes. It breaks up grease better than Dawn and has a very strong pine scent. It doesn't take much, either.

I recently found a recipe for dishwasher detergent using SAL Suds. I have not tried it yet, but I plan to mix up a batch this weekend:

1/2 C SAL Suds
1/2 C water
1/2 C white vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
3 drops tea tree oil (optional)

Mix and store in a jar with a lid. Use 1 tbsp of solution per load.

And finally...

KEEP OUT OF EYE! DILUTE! DILUTE! OK!
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:35 am

[quote="kevlarknight"]After using the eucalyptus and peppermint flavors of this soap I can honestly say that they are my personal hygiene product of choice.

They leave you with that amazingly clean feeling that I thought only synthetic environmental damaging soaps could provide.

And after a hot shower with the eucalyptus verity, you don't just feel clean, you feel saved. :mrgreen:

You can't go wrong with the peppermint or eucalyptus.

I do love Bronner's, but to say you can't go wrong, WOW. Please NEVER get peppermint into a deep cut. (HolyShitFuckYouYourMothersAdirtyWhore). It hurts just a little/a lot.
I have found Bronner's to be one of the best odor eliminating soaps I've ever used.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:59 am

Huge fan. It works very well. It's not expensive for what I get out of it, and my money supports things I believe in.

I remember back in the old days I'd put water seal on the paper label to keep it from falling apart after a month in the shower-- the labels on the big bottles were like a novel-length Chick tract written by a Jew on acid. It was hard to take a short shower 'cause I'd get carried away with the loopy Essene "All one, OK?" drivel and forget to turn the water off.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Rainman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Fido, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead 2, Dead Alive, 28 Days Later

Post by Rainman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:29 am

Chef wrote:I remember back in the old days I'd put water seal on the paper label to keep it from falling apart after a month in the shower-- the labels on the big bottles were like a novel-length Chick tract written by a Jew on acid. It was hard to take a short shower 'cause I'd get carried away with the loopy Essene "All one, OK?" drivel and forget to turn the water off.
Aw, you beat me to it. I was going to comment on the soap's largely overlooked qualities, like providing crazy reading material while you soap up or just veg under the flow... All one, ok?

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:55 pm

I use the lavendar one in the shower. Its pretty awesome.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:07 pm

I have a 1 ounce nalgene bottle of the orange/citrus liquid soap, which I use for dishes/teeth/hair/body while camping, and one full bottle lasts me for a number of camping trips...this would seem to fly in the face of the people above who posted about using the bar instead...to save space and weight with the bar seems like a nonsense argument...the bar is bigger and heavier than my 1 ounce nalgene bottle, and the bar of soap is much messier than a nalgene which will never leak...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:40 am

phalanx wrote:
Ahkaine wrote:
We only got Top, I c'n order it, take two weeks.
I just like my hair a bit greasy - ladies love that stuff 8) I can get the Crown Royal Pomade at Hollywood Fred Meyer, it's in the "ethnic hair product" aisle.
President ZSC011

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:01 am

kevlarknight wrote: You can't go wrong with the peppermint or eucalyptus.

Also that burning feeling ya get, kinda like the one that you get when you've spent the night with a woman of ill repute, just means the soap is working :twisted:
One of my friends used it and said, " It's like a pack of Certs and Vick's vapo-rub are having a party, but I'm the surprise guest." :lol:
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:34 pm

Towanda wrote: I recently found a recipe for dishwasher detergent using SAL Suds. I have not tried it yet, but I plan to mix up a batch this weekend:

1/2 C SAL Suds
1/2 C water
1/2 C white vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice

This recipe works very well. I can quit buying dishwasher-specific soap. This stuff works for hand-washing dishes, too.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

paperclip

Post by paperclip » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:16 am

Few things in life are as good as a solar shower with Bronners at the end of a long day of camping, hiking or what not.
I too, feel "saved" afterwards. Just don't brush your teeth with it. Beats not brushing of course but those of us who had potty mouths growing will never get used to it :)
DFWMTX wrote:
It's less about saving the enviroment and more about control. Who needs Big Brother when you've got Mother Gaia?

undeadnID

Post by undeadnID » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Been using Dr. Bronners peppermint soap for the last five years.. I have a 32 oz bottle in both showers and the 3 0z bottles in all my go-bags!!! One thing I've not seen mentioned, That it works well as a insect repellent!!!!!!!! Worked wonders on the kalaula trail on Kauai.. Ive used it for shaving ,washing body,hair, clothes, gear,you name it Ive washed it with this soap!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:01 pm

Towanda wrote:
Towanda wrote: I recently found a recipe for dishwasher detergent using SAL Suds. I have not tried it yet, but I plan to mix up a batch this weekend:

1/2 C SAL Suds
1/2 C water
1/2 C white vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice

This recipe works very well. I can quit buying dishwasher-specific soap. This stuff works for hand-washing dishes, too.
Light necro!

I've gone to using Dr. Bronners as:
dish soap - the above recipe is great
general cleaner - spray bottle, 4:1 water:soap
insect "deterrant" - spray bottle, water, "some" peppermint soap
bathing (I use toothpaste still though) - 1:1 water:soap
outdoor adventure soap - 2 oz bottle with squirt cap, full strength

Tracking finances to weigh cost differences between Bronner's and laundry soap.

I can get Dr. Bronners in bulk at New Season's Market. I bought a gallon jug last fall and I just refilled it last month for $10. $20 a year for all the above uses is great.
President ZSC011

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:31 pm

I used a 2oz. bottle bought at Target for $1.99 and blew through it in about 8 days on a recent trip.

The main problem probably was that I tried to wash a few shirts with it, but did not have a bowl or bucket. I just got the shirts wet, then rubbed a few drops in to hand wash under running water. That was less than efficient.
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Buckets, basins and sinks are awesome for that :lol:

I sink wash when road traveling motel to hotel. 1 drop of Bronners is enough for a pair of socks, skivvies and a tshirt. Fill sink, soak clothing, 2 drops (seriously, just drops) of soap, swish around, let soak for about 20 minutes, rinse and hang dry.

I bought and now carry a "folding bucket" in my hiking water kit. Perfect for many things as well as washing my socks and skivvies.
President ZSC011

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:49 pm

I really like this thread. Convinced me to by some ASAP.

Did someone mention Target as a source?

And Ninja Elbow is right: Folding bucket's rule for camping. I have a plastic one and a canvas one that are invaluable for summer outdoor adventures.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:35 am

Thanks for bumping this, Ninj. Nobody believes me when I talk about how much milage I get form Dr. B's.

I've started brushing my teeth with it ....
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”