Something I never see...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: Something I never see...

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:43 pm

I have a corn cobb pipe in my kit along with a pack of roll'ems. You can consume most forms (all but oral) of tobacco out of a pipe. Old butts, cigar stubs, loose, et al... all can be shoved in the pipe and smoked.

Also, many people have posted tobacco and booze in their kits over the years.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

TAB
Favorite Zombie Movies: God has no favorites, why should I? There are so many, and so many different types of zombies, but here are some great ones that come to mind: "Evil Dead", "Re-animator", "Versus", and of course "Night of the Living Dead".

Post by TAB » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:53 pm

I used to smoke and drink. I have been free of both for almost 3 years now, and I have no intention of going back. Thanks be to God!

Ciggies:

Pros:
worth their weight in gold if barter is a part of your PAW reality.
1 or 2 can be eaten to kill internal parasites such as worms.

Cons:
too many to mention

Booze (hard):

Pros:
worth its weight in platinum if barter is a part of your PAW reality.
Can be used to disinfect the mouth and throat.
Can be used to make medicinal plant tinctures.

Cons:
too many to mention

I don't realistically see any place for either cigs or booze in a BOB. Do yourself a favor and quit both.
* Let it be known: Everything I say is only my own opinion except perhaps when I am quoting someone else.
Success is the realization that you are not only unique but also essential.
Ecoculture Village, a non-profit entity ~ rediscovering, rejuvenating, & reinventing
small rural communities… preparing, surviving, living!

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:16 pm

OP: I can see value if having both along for the ride. It's certainly an idea with potential (for good and bad).

And I say that even though I don't smoke, I don't think intoxication is prudent, and I don't envision any kind of SHTF that would lead to the breakdown of a money economy & need for barter goods. :)

But in different places on the planet, dealing with various local people in a testy mood, I've found that small little rituals help. Ceremonial use of alcohol and tobacco has a very long history... e.g. "peace pipes" amongst indigenous Americans.
Sometimes a shared nip or a shared puff can keep dialogue going long enough to lead into diplomacy. And you certainly don't need a PAW to recognize the value in some small thing that may create some trivial, initial bonding.
I don't have cigarettes in my BoB, but I have carried cigars in my ruck, specifically for such social purposes.
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

Finch

Post by Finch » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:24 pm

eh i don't plan on starting to smoke while i will smoke a cigar from time to time generally on vacation i dont think its worth packing

liquor is just too heavy and a dehydrator IMO.

My favorite form of stress relief involves my wife ...... or a tissue
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Finch wrote:... or a tissue
Ah, the noble gentleman's comforter (link probably NSFW, depending on where you work.)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:05 pm

I quit smoking 7 years ago after inhaling 2 packs a day for as long as can remember. The day I quit I still loved the stuff, but figured it was a crappy way to go out...

So, In my BOL I have a couple large tins of tobacco and papers..

As I figure it, if the world as we know it has ended, might as well smoke some cigarettes, right? Not like quitting again is going to be worse than that eh?

GunnBorn
Favorite Zombie Movies: army of darkness
dawn of the dead

Post by GunnBorn » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:31 pm

Sometimes busting out a bottle of bourbon and having a few shots is a good idea. Or having some smokes on hand maybe some cigars. Im not going to explain why as I dont feel the need to justify it, but its def. something I will keep in a BOB for the PAW. And this is coming from a non smoker/occasional drinker.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:37 pm

offcamber wrote:As I figure it, if the world as we know it has ended, might as well smoke some cigarettes, right? Not like quitting again is going to be worse than that eh?
that has to be the best answer yet. :lol:

"aw hell, the world just went to shit.
*shrugs*
*lights cigarette*
at least I can start smoking again"

:lol:
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Shadow_Man
Favorite Zombie Movies: I Am Legend, 28 Days/Months, Omega Man.

Post by Shadow_Man » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:00 pm

I quit smoking quite some time back...bad habit, expensive and does nothing positive for you. I do however have seeds to grow tobacco for trade purposes and will be building a curing box for processing tobacco leaves. Barter is a very good thing if you have something that the other person REALLY WANTS!

Alcohol. I have several gallons of relatively cheap Vodka stored but that is for making medicinal tinctures and such. I'm in the process of building up both culinary and medicinal herb gardens for that time when there won't be any pharmacy's you can just hop into your car and run out to.

I would like to learn about and build an alcohol still perhaps two, for the purposes of making alcohol fuel and medicinal/drinking alcohol in a PAW. One of my vehicles is multi-fuel and can run on E85 gasoline. So I figure that if I had the ability to create and then mix fuel grade alcohol even in small batches that would seriously stretch my extra Jerry cans of preserved gasoline. Should work.

Don't forget the ability to brew beer and wine for both personal consumption and barter. There is just nothing as civilized as sitting down to dinner with a fine glass of wine with your Top Ramen. :shock: :lol: But seriously, beer is food. A good stout is beneficial IF you don't go overboard. As mentioned in this thread. Morale boosting is one thing being inebriated in a crisis situation is not a good nor smart thing. However I'd like to think that at the end of a hard day or night of Zombie busting sitting around the table with the fruits of your labor, with your fellow survivors and a nice large glass of beer or wine to accompany your sauteed rat is what it's all about. (Yeah...I watched the Colony...pikers! :roll: )
LET THE ZOMBIE STOMPING BEGIN!

mega-hertz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, 28 days(the one where Sandra bullock goes to rehab and has to kill her way back to the bar and gets naked a lot when she fights all those zombies)

Post by mega-hertz » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:02 pm

hey op; thanx for reminding me to put booze and smokes in my BOB

this is just something most don't consiter. by the way hard candys, cough drops, and a brew kit (things to make tea) are a must for me personaly. if i don't get a good amount of rest, after 3 or 4 days i'll get a 24hr cold. some whiskey would help also.
" I'm hiding in Honduras. I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers, guns and money. The $h!t has hit the fan." Warren Zevon......R.I.P.
fart lol!

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:48 pm

I pack a tin've Acid krushes, and a couple thingies worth of jager in my bag. If the world's ending, I wanna watch it comfortably.
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

BladeLady
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by BladeLady » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:40 pm

I do keep a pint of Everclear in my BOB an all around item. For recreation I keep a half pin f good scotch and some Cuban cigars. I can't justify having either, but I have it there just in case.

jesse2205

Post by jesse2205 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:14 am

In my BOB I have a pack of cigarettes, a pint of single barrel jack daniels, and a bottle of some good ole hydrocodons. I believe these items are a must for any PAW scenario, with many advantages :)

tendrams

Post by tendrams » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:27 am

I am new here and don't want to rock the boat, but these two things have not been mentioned re: cigs. 1) They can ABSOLUTELY be medicinal. I personally have a digestive condition that can be treated one of two ways.....REALLY expensive medication that will be all but unavailable in a PAW or (and I kid you not) moderate tobacco consumption. It's noted in medical journals that this works. So....I smoke a pipe (only one bowl per day) for this very reason and my prescription med needs have now approached zero. I figure I save about $350 per month on meds and research tells me that the health risk of smoking this much pipe tobacco is near zero. I obviously have several pounds of a nice English Blend aging at home and at my BOL. Worst case, I suppose I could grow my own. 2) A cigarette might be extremely useful as an improvised delay when coupled with a fuse for whatever purpose deemed necessary after SHTF.

Best,

tendrams

eMrock32
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by eMrock32 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:09 pm

alchohol dehydrates you so I wouldn't put it in my BOB. Cigs I would have on me and can purchase or take some from a lot of stores. If I run out I really dont care since I know I would be on my last pack and its very easy for me to quit. It takes about 2 weeks. Ive done it a few times when I had half marathons, ect.. coming up so I still get good times. It really doesn't affect me except for the first few miles but I can make up for the time in the last miles.
-eMrock32

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:36 pm

I've THOUGHT about putting some smokes and alcohol in my prep locker before, but it's just one of those things I never got around to doing. In a PAW you'd in all likelyhood have to quit smoking at some point due to lack of tobacco (even if you bought a ton of the stuff it wouldn't stay fresh forever), but I don't think I'd want to quit immediately since my stress level would undoubtedly be high already.

With alcohol I don't drink much at all (at night around the campfire when we go hunting after the guns are put away or every once in a while when my wife and I go to a steakhouse), but if TS ever HTF I imagine that I'd want a drink at some point.

People need down time and smoking and drinking are one of the ways that people relax. It's like coffee, I don't need it to live but why on earth would I want to go without it if I have a choice about it?

Of course it would have some value for barter, but it would have to be a real desperate situation for me to just give away my few vices. So I guess I better go buy a few cartons of some cheap smokes and a few quarts of rum to throw in there. I'd hate to face the initial chaos without smokes or the occasional shot to relax with (while someone else stands guard of course).

So thanks for reminding me. =)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:25 pm

yale wrote:I don't smoke or drink now. I don't plan on starting just because of the PAW.
+1

mantis

Post by mantis » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:35 pm

I don't smoke so I don't carry cigarettes but I do carry a small stainless steel flask of 12 year old Canadian Club Whisky in my BOB. I certainly don't want to get drunk or impair my judgment but a quick hit off that might be enough to steady the nerves.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Arch

Post by Arch » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:15 am

I have never smoked, and will not ever start. I very rarely drink alcohol and when I do - its a single social beer (never whiskey or anything similar).

I think prepping is far more than assembling kits of stuff - its also physical and mental preparedness. Having an addiction (as YT mentioned) is a detriment in the PAW.

My "vices" were a lot less addictive than tobacco and alcohol, but I recently decided to get healthier for the impending PAW and........

Five Weeks Ago = I gave up soft drinks and anything with high fructose corn syrup.
Four Weeks Ago = I gave up regular coffee for "decaf".
Three Weeks Ago = I gave up decaffeinated coffee and decaf tea.

For the past three weeks I've been sugar laden drink and caffeine free. I've been sleeping better, feel better, lost a few pounds, and have been consuming more filtered water (to replace the cokes and coffee)....which means a better hydrated body.

Now I won't need to be concerned about caffeine withdraw headaches, etc when the chips fall.

This post isn't meant to be judgmental about people's behavior. My personal conviction = if you decide to prep for TEOTWAKI then you're deciding to change your lifestyle. I doubt the right time to deal with an addiction is after the Zeds have been beating on your doors for a week. I guess what I'm saying is; IMHO your level of preparation is directly correlated with your level of personal commitment.
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Fred Burke

Post by Fred Burke » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Get a "Fleshlight" for your BOB

Seriously though, this is something I was thinking myself recently. SHTF would be the worst possible time to go thru nicotine withdrawal. It is a mental and physical nightmare that you don't want to deal with when surviving on your wits and skills. I used to use serious hard drugs daily and a life change caused me to stop cold, no problem. Yet I still smoke, it was just too hard to quit (got almost there with Chantix, after I ran out would still only have my fill with 5-6 cigs a day, for quite a while.) So I'm planning to store some tobacco in my BOB, to wean off gradually or at least run out after things calm down a little. Was thinking cigars might keep longer in those little tubes or individual cellophane, also, more size efficient (vs. cigarette filters, also that 1 cigar can equal probably more than a pack of nicotine satisfaction, periodically smoked). But the pipe idea is a good one too, probably perfect for an E&E run, instead of leaving a gingerbread trail of Pall Mall butts. Seems like it would force you to smoke less often, moments of rest... In any case for the reasons mentioned above, I'd say have some even if you don't smoke, to a desperate fool a couple smokes is worth more than a Krugerrand.

Alcohol is just too useful to not have, IMO. Total multi-purpose supply similar to paracord or duck tape (too tired to do the list right now). For the interests of space saving, I'd reccomend 151 proof or higher (I have a 5th of Everclear 151), it also enhances the little jobs you can do with it like firestarting or sanitization, more efficiently. Plus, with nothing to mix it with, discourages overindulgence. A little nip here or there may be a psychological lifesaver in some cases, but you don't want to be vulnerable or stupidly intoxicated when you're living out of a BOB. Nor can you afford to get dehydrated, or have diarreah (sp?), vomiting , or a nauseous hangover when food and water supplies are limited.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Fred Burke wrote:
Get a "Fleshlight" for your BOB.
:lol:

Heading into a dark, abandoned building, reaches for a flashlight. "Why won't this thing turn on...oh. Eh." :roll:
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

seraosha
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil and Shawn of the Dead, 28 Days, 28 weeks.

Post by seraosha » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Lucretius wrote:I have a small flask of tequila in my BoB.
That may be stupid.

Let the PAW decide... :wink:
What he said...
(slight mod)
--------------------
...For none but the shades of Cavalrymen, dismount at Fiddlers' Green.

xd dude

Post by xd dude » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:09 pm

After 2 days without a cig a smoker will trade their mother for a smoke. (not sure how useful she'll be.) Same thing with an alcoholic. Using booze and cigs for trade is a great idea. Plus after you have (re)killed your zombie mother, brother or whatever, you may need a drink.
Last edited by xd dude on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drake122

Post by Drake122 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:32 am

I carry a hip flask of spiced rum mixed with black tea whenever I go out on my Hunting trips in the Cold. I would find that certain types of alcohol such as Rum or Port is useful in a cold environment, something to give that little extra boost to warm yourself up some.

While I do smoke, I can go months without a cigarette, as I've been told by family and friends that I'm "one of the lucky ones" and don't suffer the effects of an addiction (I just think I haven't smoked long enough) either that or I'm a social smoker, I usually only smoke on special occasions rather than an everyday thing. I'm more of a cigar smoker anyway.

I might carry a few packs of Cig's or a bag of rolling tobacco as trade items, not just for the PAW but also in a late SHTF scenario, like trade a few oranges for a few packs of cigarettes for example.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”