City BOB (Hypothetical Question)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mpi

Re: City BOB (Hypothetical Question)

Post by mpi » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:45 pm

be very careful opening a hydrant in an emergency, when i was a cop i would have snatched up anybody messing with a hydrant on the spot! a fireman might be less friendly about it!
Pennsylvania Firearm Owner's Association -
http://www.pafoa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'
LtCol George Goodson, USMC (Ret)

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:49 pm

If you are looking for a quality silcock key this is the best one in my opinion with four of the most popular sizes.

http://www.generaltools.com/Products/4- ... __182.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:25 pm

I paid like $6 for my Silcock/Sillcock key at Lowes, Just like tarps...

Every Emergency kit should have a tarp and a sillcock key.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

DeadLizard
Favorite Zombie Movies: Return of The Living Dead

Post by DeadLizard » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:59 pm

One thing which I found instead of getting tarps and such is getting the rolls of heavy duty trash bags.... They are more versatile than getting tarps and ponchos and more compact too... I keep a roll in my kit and in my jeep.... Which if you are in tight city streets during a disaster I would recomend them over a motorcycle or hummer due to them taking tight areas and offers good protection....
You hunt us.... You Kill us..... And I know some of you eat us.... But zombies keep comming back.....

SteelToedGirl
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. The lights, colors, and filming angles in that movie were just plain fantastic.

Post by SteelToedGirl » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:19 am

Yeah.. I'm not posting in my own thread because I'm taking notes on what people are saying. Its all great stuff, thanks!

-STG
Zydrate Comes In A Little Glass Vial

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:19 am

DeadLizard wrote:rolls of heavy duty trash bags....
A good option, I've got a few in my truck. But yesterday I used the tarp out of my truck and my tow straps to rig a sling to lift furniture up to a second floor balcony while helping a friend move. The tarps are heavier, but a hell of a lot stronger- 50 things that can be used one time are not as useful as one thing that can used hundreds of times if both options have the same space/weight/cost budget.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

DeadLizard
Favorite Zombie Movies: Return of The Living Dead

Post by DeadLizard » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:56 pm

ironraven wrote:
DeadLizard wrote:rolls of heavy duty trash bags....
A good option, I've got a few in my truck. But yesterday I used the tarp out of my truck and my tow straps to rig a sling to lift furniture up to a second floor balcony while helping a friend move. The tarps are heavier, but a hell of a lot stronger- 50 things that can be used one time are not as useful as one thing that can used hundreds of times if both options have the same space/weight/cost budget.
Yes but I found that you can reuse the bags and if you have just one tarp and using it for one thing and can't use it for something else at the time what are you gonna do? Plus if you layer the bags like 2 or 3 (if they are the heavy duty) they are about as strong as the tarp just doesn't have the gromits in them.... Another thing about it if you need to cut into them it's no sweat rather than that only tarp which you may need for something else later.....
You hunt us.... You Kill us..... And I know some of you eat us.... But zombies keep comming back.....

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:42 pm

My work will usually take me all over town over the course of a day, and I usually can't really bring much of a bob with me. I try to make sure I have at least some basic tools like a knife and multitool, and something to make a fire with. But out of necessity my BOB is usually in my car at the company office. So my first goal would be to get there, unless I could bodge together a makeshift BOB from stuff around me. I believe that would be possible at a bigger construction site. At the office I have a good bicycle locked away as well as some proper gear. My car will usually have my GHB/BOB and there is food and water in the lunch room.

From there I have 30km or so to get out of the city and then 200km home. Getting out of the city will probably be the bigger problem.

The distance means that even if I have the bike I must resupply with food and water along the way. For this reason I have waterpurifying tabs and tools to access waterposts and hydrants inside the city.

I don't think food will be a big issue, I hope to be out of the city within 2 days at the most and once out of the city I could survive off of edible plants until I got thome. Water is plentiful along the way home but would require purifying by tablets or boiling before drinking.

To sum up my "city" gear: Faucet key, Prybar, Wirecutters to open gates and fences, eye protection and dust mask, reflective vest, working gloves, bicycle helmet.
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:15 pm

gatorfarmer pretty much nailed it (as usual :wink: )

I live in a pretty large city and have lived in one or another for pretty much my entire adult life . An awful lot of what is discussed in the survival community as a whole tends to be focused more on wilderness survival and the whole "head for the hills" mentality . A lot of that is left of dogma from the early days of survivalism and is a hold over to a time when a nuke was really a very possible threat . The mantra of "get out of the city" was often heard , and strangely to me , it still often is .

Times change and people often don't , as a city dweller , you (and I) have many of the same concerns as someone living in the boonies . You can actually "live of the land" in the city , sure , you wont be hunting large game , but a city is full of resources as well as threats . A big plus in my mind is in a big crisis , cities get aid and attention first . Whenever there is a natural disaster the lights go back on in the city first .

Much of what you need as an urban survivalist is the same as your country brethren , I often see the main difference being what you don't need . As far as priorities go , I don't have much need for a big 4x4 truck , a full complement of fishing gear or a chainsaw . Not to say those couldn't be handy , I am just better off having a good bike , a sensible car and beefy home security .

I actually have a ton to say on the subject and have been meaning to make a long essay style post on my thoughts on urban survival , but it is late and I gotta go make dinner . :D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

JefferyWatts

Post by JefferyWatts » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:41 pm

I see a lot of good suggestions here, glad to see it.
I have read most of the posts but not all so if I repeat something, apologies.

There are a few BIG items that need to be considered.
The first two Arch excellently pointed out but I feel need to be touched on a bit more.
Arch wrote: * Utility Coveralls (like those worn by your local civic utility service providers)
* Knowledge of lesser traveled routes (avoid the congestion by going a direction people most likely won't go)
Do not put BDU's in your BOB in an urban environment (Woodlands is up to user's discretion) but the best urban camo is regular clothing ranging from utility coveralls (as arch said) to jeans and a single colored tshirt. With the tshirt you might consider having different ones. For one I keep a bright neon orange tshirt that's a size too big in my BOB. People mentioned having visibility clothing..this is how I accomplish that.
Also...the knowledge of lesser traveled routes...is so critical. Know your area and know the area on your bug out route.
Chances are, due to unforseen circumstances, your primary bug out route will be a no-go. So by knowing the area around your route you can quickly bypass whatever problem is facing you.
Aerial satellite photos, maps showing all streets (Even the ittsy bittsy backroad ones), and such are wonderful in helping you do then. But then make sure to go check things out first hand.
ironraven wrote: Ear plugs. Not only do they keep sound out, but they also keep dust and other shit out.
And cash. Not big bills. Say a roll of quarters wrapped in five 20s, 5 10s, and at least ten 1s.
The earplugs suggestion is a great one but I saw later how someone said it was bad because it decreased your senses. If you are wearing them all the time..yeh.
There are earplugs that come on a cord that can be wrapped around your neck or tied to your clothing in some manner. These are great to keep on you.
I keep a pair in my GHB right beside my pistol. Ive already lost enough of my hearing to firearms and mistakes (Live and learn) that Id like to keep the rest of it.

One idea, and I have no idea how effective it would be so investigate this first. Those noise cancelling headphones? Anyone have any experience with them. Just curious if those could be used, even if they are pricey.

Also Ironraven was spot on with the cash thing, especially with wrapping cash around the roll of quarters.

Ok so now then. OP, here's my big #1 in this day and age.
A handheld battery operated cell phone charger for emergency charging of your phone.
During an emergency the chance of getting a phone call through will probably be...zilch. However, chance of getting a text message through? Much higher.
There are two ways of going about the charger...
1)Buy it..http://www.energizer.com/products/energ ... arger.aspx You can buy it from Campmor.
2)You can go pick up the most recent issue of Popular Mechanics which is all about survival and self reliance and check out the table of contents. There is an entire 2 or 3 page writeup on creating your own emergency cell phone charger for under 5 bucks. Be warned, there is one problem...finding the + and - terminals on your cellphone's battery can be problematic (Mine are unmarked for example).
ZS Thread: Beating Murphy: Surviving the Worst Case
Become a Fan of Beating Murphy on Facebook
jamoni wrote:If Zombie Squad says you have too many weapons and issues, you have too many weapons and issues.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:05 pm

On the ear plug debate...

No to the static noise earplugs(well, okay...throw a few of the cheap disposable foam ones in your bag as back up).
Yes to the dual sided ear plugs with one side designed to protect from static/constant noise levels and the other for sudden sharp sounds(like gunfire). Often different colors on each end so that when wearing to protect from constant background noise a bright industrial safety color is showing, and when the other end is inserted a earth tones "tactical" color is presented. These are, IIRC, less than $10. The side designed to protect against the sudden sharp sounds of gunfire has a ball and piston arrangement inside....lets you hear normal sounds and blocks the sharp reports. Good stuff. Find them here: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/aosinranplug.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A second, much more expensive option, are electronic ear plugs. There are electronic ear muffs as well, but I'd consider those far to bulky and encumbering to use while bugging out. The electronic ear plugs look like a self contained (no external wire or box) hearing aid that fits in your ear canal in the same fashion as foam earplugs. They can even amplify noises (useful if you are searching a house/building...you can hear people who are trying to hide in the next room breathe :twisted: ), but cut/cancel out any noise above 90 decibels. Downsides are the cost (cheapest I'm familiar with is around $400 a each, http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/digaeari.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and that they use batteries (same as hearing aids)which will eventually wear out.

But yes....earplugs are a must as well as gloves and eye protection. A protective helmet is a good idea as well, but I don't recommend a hard hat. Nor a Kevlar pot..... unless you plan on being at the receiving end of an artillery or mortar barrage :lol:
I'd suggest something like this: http://www.protechelmet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

JefferyWatts

Post by JefferyWatts » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks Lowkey for the excellent suggestions as those seem to fit the bill perfectly with offering the dual 'modes'.
Just ordered a few pairs actually.

As for the hat. The Pro-Tec stuff is good quality gear and the one thing I like is the ability to have a rail mounted to the helmet on the side.
Floating around here somewhere (Not entirely sure which firearm it is currently on) i have a surefire rail mounted light like a lot of folks, its a smaller version not the bigger ones.
I could see putting that light onto a helmet like that to enable the use during a search and rescue operation post-disaster like an earthquake. Also it would leave your hands free.
Very nice.
One issue ive always had with weapon lights is the whole weapon part. You dont always want to point the weapon at what you want to illuminate.
Again, very nice suggestions Lowkey.

Im not sure who all is aware of this but..figured id share it for the OP's benefit.
At Walmart they sell maps..this is no great surprise. But recently, while searching for a book reading light, I saw that there are now also..Pre-Laminated maps.
From what I can tell they don't cover as MUCH area as the unlaminated versions but if you have a regular backup then that shouldnt be an issue.
Grab a grease pen or something and you're good to go. Great addition to the kit I believe.

Another suggestion is the use of GPS.
My prior GPS did not have this feature, but my current one does. I have a Garmin something (Newest model they have out) and not only does it work great in the vehicle it has the ability to be used on foot. Im no GPS expert so I dont know what all GPS's have this ability. I just know mine does and I think its a valuable asset. Also my GPS has the ability to go by Coordinates instead of addresses. Not really sure where id get to use that, but who knows. Also, it has an 8hr battery life which I find to be very important.
So i figure if the OP gets a good high quality GPS for their vehicle that can double as a handheld GPS if they need to abandon their vehicle...more power to you.
jamoni wrote:If Zombie Squad says you have too many weapons and issues, you have too many weapons and issues.

Hachiman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness

Post by Hachiman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:10 pm

acropolis5 wrote:IMO, for that purpose your best choice is the LL Bean Continental Rucksack, in black/gey/navy blue.
Would that make you gey man? :lol:

I am stuck in an urban environment and going "low-pro" is a necessary evil. My plans consist of preemptive evacuation or bug in until all clear due to having two small children.
~Hachi~

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140
brothaman wrote: you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.
ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:57 pm

You got me on that one Hachiman, Unfortunately, my speeling is almost as poor as my tipeing. However, the advice wasn't bad. Adding to it, consider a Boker Cop Tool as a multi-purpose pry/knife/belt cutter and the civilian equivelant of an IFAK as bag components.

Hachiman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness

Post by Hachiman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:15 pm

acropolis5 wrote:You got me on that one Hachiman, Unfortunately, my speeling is almost as poor as my tipeing. However, the advice wasn't bad. Adding to it, consider a Boker Cop Tool as a multi-purpose pry/knife/belt cutter and the civilian equivelant of an IFAK as bag components.
Not poking fun of your spelling, just making a grey man pun. That Boker tool looks pretty awesome, I really need to get something like that for my kit.

I have used the Safari\Camera Vest around town and do carry my Maxpedition Versipack almost all the time. I seldom get looks from LEO's from the Versipack. Maxpedition now has Civilian color schemes to further blend into normality as we know it. I can cram enough stuff into my Jumbo Versipack to get me through for 3 days but I'm gonna be grumpy (a little smelly) and kinda hungry unless I snag a dog, cat or something else to cook.
~Hachi~

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140
brothaman wrote: you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.
ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:06 pm

I too own and enjoy the versatility of a safari/camera vest. However, of late, given its overuse by Blackwater and other security types, I am hesitant to wear it in an urban enviornment. Apparently there's a good reason those garments have been nick-named "Shoot Me First" vests.

retrospeaks
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead

Post by retrospeaks » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:29 pm

been a city boy my whole life. those silcock keys are rather nifty. right now i place emphasis a bit more on tools for some reason. being in an area densely populated, tools to pry/open/jimmyrig would be a big help.

someone mentioned the cop tool, which is nifty, but a tad small when i saw the specs. i use a paracord wrapped eod breacher bar, but either would work in a pinch, as well as a small tool set or a multi-tool. if weight/size is not an issue, the becker tactool looks pretty good too.

i need to stow some tarp/large trash bags in my abode and car. good ideas.

the thing i'm worried about the most is a water main springing a leak or the water source in my area being contaminated/poisoned. so i keep a LOT of water nearby, whether i'm at work or home. i havent yet invested in a good water purification system, as i'm broke.
http://romerobrooks.com. Like CNN. Only Deader.

JefferyWatts

Post by JefferyWatts » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:34 am

Really good demo tool.....chainsaw.
Anyways.

Suggestion for a tool?
30 Bucks...the 'Annihilator'.
Its a wrecking...everything bar made by Dead On Tools
Drywall, studs, hell it will even chew through cement block and brick (This might take a while though)

The way it chews through those last two is with a reinforced...spear tip thing on one end to concentrate the impact.
Did a little testing with the one I own and it is very effective on both of those materials.
It really does just chew threw drywall though.

The only downside is a lackluster prying ability for everything..but studs. It has a this..mouth thing that will let you wrench studs out easily.
But for like prying open a door? Get a crowbar or other pry bar that would work better; that is this tools one drawback.

Figured id throw this out there, hope it helps.

charlie505
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Resident evil, Shawn of the Dead

Post by charlie505 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:58 am

Join a local CERT team - training is great - the best part is the ID, vest and backpack they give you will help you get around during an emergency.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webp ... ntext=dept" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:39 am

The biggest thing and it has been said many times around the forums that I've seen is really prepare for where you're at. I like in west Texas, in and area where even the Comanche and Kiowa wouldn't live, due to a lack of water. Our main water source is 3 hours away by highway. So water is one of our main stocked items just in case. I live in tornado alley, the first verified F6 tornado was just 30 minutes away.

It's still an urban enviroment and on top of that I like my tools as well. I picked up a new Black and Decker ratcheting screwdriver set, almost small enough for a pocket, with every conceivable tip. This includes hex tips as well as star tips and only cost 5 dollars. I keep a silcock key with my stuff as well and as part of GHB I keep a Fubar in my car. If you havn'et seen one a Fubar is a demolition tool that works remarkably well.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”