Murph's BOAT (pics)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Murph
* * * * *
Posts: 5771
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by Murph » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:19 am

Image

Image

Image

Contents:
  • Lighter w/ Duct Tape wrapped
    Whistle
    2x Saftey Pins
    Pinch Light
    CRKT "Peck" Knife
    27" Shoe Laces
    Large Safety Pin
    1" Moleskin Patches
    4x Band Aids
    Length of Fishing Line
I want to put a design/logo on the top and bottom in black, but I can't decide on anything. Suggestions?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

User avatar
trevor3433
* *
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:51 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil: Degeneration, Fido, Diary of the Dead [2008], Shaun of the Dead, Dead Snow, Land of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead [2004], Night of the Living Dead [1990], I Am Legend, etc.
Location: ABQ, NM. The land of entrapment.

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by trevor3433 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:02 pm

Murph wrote:I want to put a design/logo on the top and bottom in black, but I can't decide on anything. Suggestions?
ZS logo.. and B.O.A.T. in big bright letters.
A knife and hammer crossed, like the U.S. Army S.E.R.E. patch. Pic
A triumphant fist Pic
or a pic of yourself. (so you can say "I'm on a boat!")
Last edited by trevor3433 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, follow me.
"Stay Vigilant, Stay Quiet, Stay Alive" - JL Bourne

User avatar
BobtheBreaker
* * * * *
Posts: 3474
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?
Location: Sandy Eggo, KA

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by BobtheBreaker » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:13 pm

There still room in that tin buddy!...

BOATs arent full until you have to paracord them shut :twisted:
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

DrunkWookiee
* * *
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:55 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by DrunkWookiee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:04 pm

I like that you painted it.

Fishing line but no hooks?
Last edited by DrunkWookiee on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001, at the "Educating Heart Summit" in Portland, Oregon.

DrunkWookiee's IFAK

User avatar
Murph
* * * * *
Posts: 5771
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by Murph » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:14 pm

I picked up some hooks the other day, the just didn't make it in yet. But I figured I could have make-shifted the safety pins into hooks.

I've done some fishing before, and I'd imagine I could put the fishing line to better use than for fishing.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

troll1000
* *
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil (all of them), dawn of the dead, 28 days, 28 weeks.
Location: polar opposite of where i want to be

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by troll1000 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:11 pm

i would get rid of that lighter and get a fire steel. takes less room and won't run out of fuel. also put a little dryer lint in there somewhere.
"you may all to hell and i will go to Texas" - David Crockett
AR-10 why force entry when you can shoot them through the walls.

User avatar
Murph
* * * * *
Posts: 5771
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by Murph » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:31 pm

troll1000 wrote:i would get rid of that lighter and get a fire steel. takes less room and won't run out of fuel. also put a little dryer lint in there somewhere.
I have all that as part of my main BOB. Making this little guy was for funsies.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

liberty45
* * * * *
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:45 am

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by liberty45 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:13 pm

Looks really nice. Got a few good ideas to add to mine...

Some suggestions though...

You can make a survival lighter by putting fishing line, fishing hooks, safety pin, sewing needle under the last few layers of duct tape that you wrap your lighter with. Someone on this board mentioned it and I thought it was a great idea.

I am also in the process of making one of these but plan on using either the thin or mini BIC lighters to save on some space. Also getting the Firesteel Pup to put in the tin.

ADD: Replace the shoelace with paracord!

User avatar
Murph
* * * * *
Posts: 5771
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by Murph » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:57 pm

liberty45 wrote:Looks really nice. Got a few good ideas to add to mine...

Some suggestions though...

You can make a survival lighter by putting fishing line, fishing hooks, safety pin, sewing needle under the last few layers of duct tape that you wrap your lighter with. Someone on this board mentioned it and I thought it was a great idea.

I am also in the process of making one of these but plan on using either the thin or mini BIC lighters to save on some space. Also getting the Firesteel Pup to put in the tin.

ADD: Replace the shoelace with paracord!
Good suggestions! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :D
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

liberty45
* * * * *
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:45 am

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by liberty45 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 am

Murph wrote:
liberty45 wrote:Looks really nice. Got a few good ideas to add to mine...

Some suggestions though...

You can make a survival lighter by putting fishing line, fishing hooks, safety pin, sewing needle under the last few layers of duct tape that you wrap your lighter with. Someone on this board mentioned it and I thought it was a great idea.

I am also in the process of making one of these but plan on using either the thin or mini BIC lighters to save on some space. Also getting the Firesteel Pup to put in the tin.

ADD: Replace the shoelace with paracord!
Good suggestions! I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :D
Will do. I am just waiting for my order of Firesteel Pup's to arrive when they do I will build it and post pictures!

User avatar
BunkerBuster
BANNED
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:46 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Location: LI, NY

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by BunkerBuster » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:02 pm

Forgive my noobishness, but what the hell is the point of such a small kit? Its not worth carrying day to day, especially if you were ever stopped by a police officer, who would probably lock you up for such a weird combination of items, but it doesn't seem to address any real life day to day issues, unless you're going over a river and through the woods to grandmothers house. But I'm sure you guys will explain what is not obvious to me!
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil. - Ted Nugent

User avatar
Murph
* * * * *
Posts: 5771
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by Murph » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:19 pm

BunkerBuster wrote:Forgive my noobishness, but what the hell is the point of such a small kit? Its not worth carrying day to day, especially if you were ever stopped by a police officer, who would probably lock you up for such a weird combination of items, but it doesn't seem to address any real life day to day issues, unless you're going over a river and through the woods to grandmothers house. But I'm sure you guys will explain what is not obvious to me!
No problem... I look at making something like this for a couple reasons.

1 - As a challenge to come up with a creative list of contents to cover some basic survival needs
2 - I can toss something like this in the glove box of my car incase I ever need it (never know when something could happen, and you can't go home)
3 - Out hiking it's small and easy to slip into your pocket
4 - Forces you to rely on skills / wits and not gear
5 - They tend to be cheap to make, but extremely useful

I dunno, there's more probably... I'm tried.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

User avatar
BunkerBuster
BANNED
Posts: 585
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:46 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later
Location: LI, NY

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by BunkerBuster » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:55 pm

For the sake of argument, since I'm an attorney"
Murph wrote:
1 - As a challenge to come up with a creative list of contents to cover some basic survival needs
Sounds good so far...
2 - I can toss something like this in the glove box of my car incase I ever need it (never know when something could happen, and you can't go home)
Why not put a full bag in your trunk? A maxpedition fat boy and a rolly poly can provide enough space and use to make a mentos kit feel like it is in a true NEED IT scenario - worthless.
3 - Out hiking it's small and easy to slip into your pocket
Ok, that works, but why not expand it to a camera sized case and include a signal mirror, compass, real knife, flashlight (G2), some batts, chewy bar or two and a fishing kit and fire kit in film canisters?
4 - Forces you to rely on skills / wits and not gear
You definitely have me there....but if you really needed it, would you rather be McGuyver or Survivorman eating bear poop or would you rather have it easy and bite into a granola bar?
5 - They tend to be cheap to make, but extremely useful
Penny wise, pound foolish applies here. I'm a gear whore, so if I know of or hear of a product that may work better than what I own, I buy it, test it and if it's crappy, I toss it into my fiancee's bag. :lol:

But seriously, if this is a test of "what can I put into a case this small for a contest, then you're gtg. But if you actually want to rely on this, you should pack a mini bible in there with it.


I just don't want to see someone take a mentallity of "The Jerk." Video attached for those too young for the reference! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnc2ZI_RFAI

Because like the "Jerk" you may find that you have a whole bunch of items that have no practicality, even though they're very general items. I'd rather stuff some food, water and real tools in there, instead of a survial kit you'd find inside the handle of a 1980's survival knife.

Just my 2 cents. FYI - I do like the kit you put together. I also like how you kept a core of items that any real BOB should have. Prety cool!
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil. - Ted Nugent

User avatar
BobtheBreaker
* * * * *
Posts: 3474
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?
Location: Sandy Eggo, KA

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by BobtheBreaker » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:45 pm

Bunkerbuster, its mostly about number 3.

If I have my internet history correct, the whole BOAT thing evolved from the "Survival Tin, Combat". Allegedly a NATO issued piece of equipment designed to be a pocket sized (think BDU thigh pocket or like small belt pouch) kit that would help lost soldiers survive in austere conditions for some period of time, possibly E&E. In reality it was about small form factor, inexpensive, barely functional piece of kit that could be mass issued to soldiers, with the theoretical capacity to help them survive...while simultaneously inducing pandemic warm fuzzies.

http://www.bcbsurvivalusa.com/xcart/pro ... 1&featured

Back when the BOAT got teeth was when the aforementioned product normally retailed from greedy surplus dealers for like $50 and the BOAT was basically just "I can make it piece meal for cheaper, so :p". Now the manufacturer makes various kinds for the civilian market, prices have halved and now the BOAT methodology has evolved from just blatantly ripping off the 'Survival Tin, Combat' to "Building a better mousetrap" or meta-constructing kits for different environments. As you can tell from the tenor of my first paragraph, the field reports on functionality of the kits varied heavily...peaking as high as "meh" and as low as "*dead*".
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

6shooter
* *
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 1:14 am
Location: British Columbia

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by 6shooter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:31 am

BunkerBuster wrote:Forgive my noobishness, but what the hell is the point of such a small kit? Its not worth carrying day to day, especially if you were ever stopped by a police officer, who would probably lock you up for such a weird combination of items, but it doesn't seem to address any real life day to day issues, unless you're going over a river and through the woods to grandmothers house. But I'm sure you guys will explain what is not obvious to me!

When I put together my BOAT, I did so with the idea that I could keep it in my pocket while I'm out on a hike or something, and should I become separated from my pack, I'd still be able to signal for help, start a fire, build an emergency shelter, and perhaps find some food via fishing, or perhaps snaring, if necessary. Granted, I did end up spending a decent amount on it(relatively speaking for an Altoid tin kit), I don't mind as I do consider it a legitimate emergency survival kit. Anything bigger and I would rather have it in my pack rather than a pocket, which defeats the purpose, for me at least.
7mm Mag/9mm/Pie/Blue wire-green when I can't sleep

Warriors And Wonders, The Best Knife Shop in Vancouver

User avatar
mega-hertz
* * *
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:28 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, 28 days(the one where Sandra bullock goes to rehab and has to kill her way back to the bar and gets naked a lot when she fights all those zombies)
Location: so fired, circle city, CA.

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by mega-hertz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:07 am

BunkerBuster wrote:
Penny wise, pound foolish applies here. I'm a gear whore, so if I know of or hear of a product that may work better than what I own, I buy it, test it and if it's crappy, I toss it into my fiancee's bag. :lol:

But seriously, if this is a test of "what can I put into a case this small for a contest, then you're gtg. But if you actually want to rely on this, you should pack a mini bible in there with it.


I just don't want to see someone take a mentallity of "The Jerk." Video attached for those too young for the reference! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnc2ZI_RFAI

Because like the "Jerk" you may find that you have a whole bunch of items that have no practicality, even though they're very general items. I'd rather stuff some food, water and real tools in there, instead of a survial kit you'd find inside the handle of a 1980's survival knife.

Just my 2 cents. FYI - I do like the kit you put together. I also like how you kept a core of items that any real BOB should have. Prety cool!
geez, sounds like b.o.a.t. is going to be massive :lol:
" I'm hiding in Honduras. I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers, guns and money. The $h!t has hit the fan." Warren Zevon......R.I.P.
fart lol!

User avatar
Rainman
* *
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:13 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Fido, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead 2, Dead Alive, 28 Days Later
Location: Florida

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by Rainman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:06 pm

tagged for future reference

User avatar
Veritas
* * * *
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:21 am

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by Veritas » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:12 pm

Dude, just use the bookmark button. Then you won't have wasted all my time. All thirteen seconds of my time.

I was looking forward to more BOAT discussion...it always stays so civil...
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

User avatar
Rainman
* *
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:13 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Fido, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead 2, Dead Alive, 28 Days Later
Location: Florida

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by Rainman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:18 pm

I'm working on some non-altoid versions. Found some uber-cheapo FAKs at Target and decided to cannibalize them for a BOAT-of-sorts. The plastic box was worth the buck and I'm interested in seeing if they hold up a little better. I've used altoid boxes for flies before and had them rust a little too quickly (duh, a metal box taken out to a stream where they're bound to get exposed to h2o...). Anyway, I'll eventually finish the prototype and post some pics. That should atone for my lack of "bookmark-fu" (I hope).

mtnfolk mike
* * * *
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:57 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: the omega man..
Location: Santa Cruz mtns. CA.

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by mtnfolk mike » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:34 pm

nice job Murph... looks like a cool little kit...
>>>>-----LIFE IS A KNIFE----->

User avatar
Murph
* * * * *
Posts: 5771
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by Murph » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:32 am

Rainman wrote:I'm working on some non-altoid versions. Found some uber-cheapo FAKs at Target and decided to cannibalize them for a BOAT-of-sorts. The plastic box was worth the buck and I'm interested in seeing if they hold up a little better. I've used altoid boxes for flies before and had them rust a little too quickly (duh, a metal box taken out to a stream where they're bound to get exposed to h2o...). Anyway, I'll eventually finish the prototype and post some pics. That should atone for my lack of "bookmark-fu" (I hope).
If you're talking about the Johnson and Johnson ones that have like 5 band-aids in them and are about the size of an Altoids tin, they suck. I left one out on the floor one evening when I was working on some stuff. Later that evening, *crunch* I'm only like 175, so I was not all that impressed. I'd imagine most plastic boxes would do the same. If you really want to go that route, get a Pelican case, or similar. Plus side is they'd be completely water proof.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

User avatar
Veritas
* * * *
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:21 am

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by Veritas » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:49 pm

You know, I claim the whole point of putting the BOAT contents into a metal tin is that I could theoretically use it too cook food/boil water, but I have never tried doing it. Has anyone actually tried cooking in an Altoid's tin or similar?

I like the idea of the case serving a purpose as well, but I could be persuaded into switching to a Pelican case or Otterbox.

Altoids Tin:
Pros- cheap, can be heated, lightweight, small.
Cons- not waterproof, not durable, may rust.

Pelican Case:
Pros- durable, waterproof, clear, (floats?)
Cons - expensive (comparatively), bulky

My justification for the BOAT concept is thus: They are small, lightweight, bare-bones kits. They are for self-enlightenment, entertainment, and discussion. Zen, for me, is a well-packed Altoids-style metal tin.

I find the question of "Why would you ever carry a BOAT?" to be included with this line of questioning:
Why just EDC when you could carry a GHB? Why carry a GHB when you could just pack a BOB? Why have a BOB in the backseat when you could have an INCH in the trunk?

To all of which I would answer: Why not?
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

User avatar
bltjr1951
* * * *
Posts: 884
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:12 pm
Location: USA

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by bltjr1951 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:57 pm

BunkerBuster wrote:Forgive my noobishness, but what the hell is the point of such a small kit?
On the other BOAT thread, someone asked the same stuff.

He's banned now.

Don't have to read thread if you don't like contents.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

User avatar
bltjr1951
* * * *
Posts: 884
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:12 pm
Location: USA

Re: Murph's BOAT (pics)

Post by bltjr1951 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:02 pm

Veritas wrote:All thirteen seconds of my time.
I was looking forward to more BOAT discussion...it always stays so civil...
I'm on dial up, it was minutes for me.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”