Eagle Armor Carrier w/ pics

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Eagle Armor Carrier w/ pics

Post by crypto » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:14 pm

So, about a year ago I managed to snag an armor kit that was in the process of falling off the back of the truck. It was a SPEAR RBS, and it looked like this:

It was nice in that I could carry my whole fighting load on it, but when I put mags and shit in it, it was about 45lb. Too much.
Then I started thinking that

a> having something in camo wasnt the way to go,
b> I don't necessarily want to have 12 AR mags on me whenever I want armor on me
c> I may not feel like having armor on when I want ready access to my mags
d> I really don't like the way this carrier rides on me.

So, I started looking around for a carrier that was slightly lower profile than the SPEAR RBS, but would still accommodate it's panels.

This is what I ended up with:
The Eagle Industries Low-Vis Armor Carrier , from http://www.skdtac.com/Eagle_Low_Vis_Arm ... ag.566.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you can see, the Carrier is remarkably cheap, for something made by Eagle. I chalk this up to the fact that most of the sewing labor on battle rattle gear is stitching the MOLLE loops on, which this carrier lacks completely.

Anyway, the carrier is made out of 500D cordura instead of 1000D, which was a feature to me. It breathes easier and is far lighter. In fact, this carrier weighs about half that of the USGI one in the first picture. Now granted, with panels and plates the difference is less than a pound, but every bit helps. Additionally, the Eagle carrier has an antimicrobial liner, which will help it from getting funky.

What I really like about this carrier is that it's not nearly as military looking as the other one, while offering precisely the same protection level. I wouldn't feel weird bugging out with this and my backpack, like I would with the first one. In fact, I'm a lot more likely to wear it in a bugout since there aren't very many scenarios in which I'd want to take 12 AR mags with me.

Speaking of AR mags, the stuff that was on the vest before is now on a Tactical Tailor MAV, I'm still working on balancing the load out in a manner that's comfortable. I'll post pics in here of the combined setup once I've settled on its configuration.

I want to give a big thumbs up on SKD Tactical, I ordered the carrier near midnight on Wednesday. by 9am Thursday I had a tracking number, and by noon on Friday I had the carrier.

I don't need to give a thumbs up to Eagle Industries because you all already know they don't fuck around with their gear, but this carrier is no-shit good. I love it. It's very much more comfortable than the old one.

Here's a few pics of my actual carrier with my inserts in it.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Re: Eagle Armor Carrier w/ pics

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:38 pm

crypto wrote:b> I don't necessarily want to have 12 AR mags on me whenever I want armor on me
I always figure that if I gotta put armor on, I'm going to have my rifle...

Good price on the carrier. Thanks for the link. I'm checking out their chest rigs as an alternative to the Tactical Tailor stuff.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:26 pm

Looks like the end result/concept is similar to the simple Maurom Dolphin armor set up (http://www.zahal.org/gear/bodyarmor/p02.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; shows it, but mine is in khaki). I like having the plates external to the armor carrier myself so that I could remove them or replace them if needed, but that Eagle set up does look a nice one.

If you're using that rig for home defense, you might want to look into a groin protector though.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:51 pm

Ive got a dickpad too, I dont have it attached. It hits me in the balls all the time.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Dragk913
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, "Dead" Series, etc.

Post by Dragk913 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:16 pm

Dickpads FTW!

(Sorry, that's all I have to contribute.)
Hoppy wrote: ZS. We put body parts in sheep.

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:59 pm

I choose the color patch that is 3rd from the top

[All that I have to add >.<]

Hachiman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Army of Darkness

Post by Hachiman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:09 pm

crypto wrote:So, about a year ago I managed to RESCUE an armor kit that was in the process of falling off the back of the truck.
Fixed that for you, good job saving it from the Panhandlers. We REALLY do not need bulletproof panhandlers...
~Hachi~

ZS Fleet Number ZS-0140
brothaman wrote: you seem to like the abuse so I figured I'd jump in for a kick or 2.
ZSC:014 Texas Gulf Coast Chapter of Zombie Squad

grey_fox

Post by grey_fox » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:35 pm

Very nice piece of kit you got there. On a side note though.... dickpads are almost worthless.
When in doubt empty the magazine.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:15 am

grey_fox wrote:Very nice piece of kit you got there. On a side note though.... dickpads are almost worthless.
Yeah, I dont believed the dickpads are rated for any form of bullet resistance at all, merely frag, which makes them pretty useless for civilian defense. I actually meant to take mine to the range yesterday and shoot at it to see how it holds up, but alas it was in the back of a closet somewhere and I couldnt be bothered to dig it out.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:32 pm

Commercial IIIA groin protection is indeed rated to stop all the IIIA threats. Some will accept rifle plates. It's still likely to hurt. I don't know about "salvaged" military models.

Propping armor up and shooting it is not a proper test. You need to put clay, a dead pig or similar behind the armor.

Groin protection, aside from dealing with frags, is fine for at home use. The "other" popular drill for dealing with someone wearing armor is to shoot them in the pelvis. (Popular drill number one is either a head shot or just to shoot with a three round triple tap starting at the lower neck and working up. This puts round one where many many vests aren't covering and round three in the brain.)

Whether someone wants to follow the two fingers rule with armor worn for home defense is also subject to debate. (Concealables for LEO use are typically sized to end two fingers above the duty belt for comfort.) Having part of your gut hanging out can be a bad thing.

Like everything else, armor has specialized set ups depending on what you're doing with it. Just visit any trade show and browse.

For relatively static home defense, I'd also consider the shoulder add ons as an option.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:29 pm

My armor needs to sit above the hip belt of my backpack, so its precisely where it needs to be, length wise. It needs to be light enough that I can bug out with a backpack and a sidearm, at the minimum. It needs to be short enough that I can still get to my sidearm.

It also needs to be cheap enough that I can afford to own it, which disqualifies 99% of anything Id see at a trade show.

While I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy sunday to shit on my thread, I am quite happy with my setup. Thanks for posting.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:43 pm

A shit on someones thread or not, I feel I atleast learned of a more affordable option for this sort of thing. I know there are just some things you don't comprimise on, but I don't make nearly as much as I use to lol so some things will always be out of my reach, this is one thing I think I can sscratch off that list now :D

Thanks Crypto!

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:48 pm

crypto wrote:My armor needs to sit above the hip belt of my backpack, so its precisely where it needs to be, length wise. It needs to be light enough that I can bug out with a backpack and a sidearm, at the minimum. It needs to be short enough that I can still get to my sidearm.

It also needs to be cheap enough that I can afford to own it, which disqualifies 99% of anything Id see at a trade show.

While I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy sunday to shit on my thread, I am quite happy with my setup. Thanks for posting.
Relax. You're taking it personal when you shouldn't.

Folks look at how one guy has his gear set up and might or might not know what conditions are at play for that particular user. You have yours set up the way you do for a reason as you now state, but the peanut gallery that sees a set up and thinks "ooh, I want" likely contains the guys looking at armor and not knowing how it ought (or can be) set up and what to set it up for regarding different uses/conditions.

The most likely general use anyone is going to have for tac armor is going to be home defense or other relatively static use, hence my commentary. They don't wear it around town and probably 2/3 of people who've bought it the physical condition necessary - nor properly acclimated - to wear it around when carrying all their other various and sundry items. Thus there's my comments related to fitting armor for static use.

If you found the comment about your gut hanging out potentially offensive, I apologize, it was a general comment regarding fitting armor not intended to be a personal slight. Given that you showed your initial set up, obviously intended for carry/field use, I thought it obvious that you were happy having it fit for "above belt". My comment about the groin protector was my only suggestion related to your personal use if you intended to further adapt your rig for multipurpose use.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:14 pm

honestly, the dickpad that came with the original rig is a flimsy thing, not even as thick as my girlfriend's level II duty vest. Im sure it wouldnt hold up to anything.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:01 pm

crypto wrote:honestly, the dickpad that came with the original rig is a flimsy thing, not even as thick as my girlfriend's level II duty vest. Im sure it wouldnt hold up to anything.
Could be. They were popular first with "entry type" vests, and many people don't like them for field wear - like you say, they hit in uncomfortable places. If you do test shoot your groin protector, I'd be curious as to results.

Seriously though, good job assessing your needs and having options with your armor set up. It's a nice rig and you put thought into it.

What are you using for rifle plates? Just curious who's using what, not being critical, etc.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:47 am

They're Ceradyne ceramic ESAPI plates. To be quite honest, I don't know if I'm going to keep them in the vest. It loses any concealability it has with them in place, and they're still pretty heavy. I may just downgrade it to a IIIA soft vest. My biggest reason for wanting this is if I have to bug out of the city due to widespread social unpleasantness following a disaster (It would be a 20 mile hike to get to the outer suburbs, let alone a BOL), and that's a long walk with a heavy load.

I do appreciate the input on having something to protect the pelvic girdle, but short of an EOD tech bomb suit, most vests (and certainly any vests I could afford) just cover the vitals, and leave ones guts and hips out in the breeze. Since mobility is my main concern, I dont think I'll be putting on deltoid protectors or a yoke: I'm not looking for a suit of armor, just a second chance.

I also realize that the argument of "This isnt something you can afford to be cheap on" may apply, but I look at armor as an optional item anyway, it's no replacement for being either behind cover, or more importantly, staying out of harms way to begin with. That said, the armor I can afford to buy offers better protection than the armor I can not.

If you're curious as to what the dickpad is specifically made out of, you'd have to look it up. It's part of the SPEAR RBA system. It really looks like it's just for frag protection. If I shoot it up, I'll either put it in front of a big wad of modelling clay, wet phone books, or just pack it into the mud of the berm, then shoot at it with various things. I would be surprised if it held onto anything bigger than .22 though.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:14 pm

crypto wrote:They're Ceradyne ceramic ESAPI plates. To be quite honest, I don't know if I'm going to keep them in the vest. It loses any concealability it has with them in place, and they're still pretty heavy. I may just downgrade it to a IIIA soft vest. My biggest reason for wanting this is if I have to bug out of the city due to widespread social unpleasantness following a disaster (It would be a 20 mile hike to get to the outer suburbs, let alone a BOL), and that's a long walk with a heavy load.

I do appreciate the input on having something to protect the pelvic girdle, but short of an EOD tech bomb suit, most vests (and certainly any vests I could afford) just cover the vitals, and leave ones guts and hips out in the breeze. Since mobility is my main concern, I dont think I'll be putting on deltoid protectors or a yoke: I'm not looking for a suit of armor, just a second chance.

I also realize that the argument of "This isnt something you can afford to be cheap on" may apply, but I look at armor as an optional item anyway, it's no replacement for being either behind cover, or more importantly, staying out of harms way to begin with. That said, the armor I can afford to buy offers better protection than the armor I can not.

If you're curious as to what the dickpad is specifically made out of, you'd have to look it up. It's part of the SPEAR RBA system. It really looks like it's just for frag protection. If I shoot it up, I'll either put it in front of a big wad of modelling clay, wet phone books, or just pack it into the mud of the berm, then shoot at it with various things. I would be surprised if it held onto anything bigger than .22 though.

Those are good plates (so long as they're intact and in good condition). Better than what most people have and arguably better than the Izzy plates that I use. You could always keep them in a seperate plate carrier and put that on over your concealable (if you go that route) should the need arise.

IIIA groin protection is $120 for entry level - http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor ... Protectors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you change your mind. It's mostly useful for static situations - wearing armor for a bump in the night (or day) whether society has gotten any worse or not.

I use armor somewhat differently of course, since I got used to wearing it daily for work. I have seperate concealable and tactical rigs, the tactical set up being mainly for home defense since I believe that a more likely use than needing it for other things. The concealable I actually still wear more or less daily out of a dislike for dying of irony. Plus it came in handy once or twice in the past. That's obviously not for everyone.

grey_fox

Post by grey_fox » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:29 pm

Gatorfarmer wrote:
crypto wrote: I also realize that the argument of "This isnt something you can afford to be cheap on" may apply, but I look at armor as an optional item anyway, it's no replacement for being either behind cover, or more importantly, staying out of harms way to begin with. That said, the armor I can afford to buy offers better protection than the armor I can not.
+1

I cant say i've ever seen groin protection involving a plate but i cant imagine that being in any way comfortable lol. The existing one i use is cumbersome enough with the slapping against the family jewels and all while running. Anyway, id love to see some pics after you're done shooting it up at the range if possible.

grey_fox

Post by grey_fox » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:32 pm

Almost forgot... fuck those sissy shoulder pads too :mrgreen:

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:22 pm

All I notice is your name tape. Why would you wear a name tape calling you a piece of shit? :lol:
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:04 pm

hahaha doc, youll love this. I almost got a tattoo on the inside of my elbow with a red cross, with a little dotted line on my vein, and A POS under it.

I got to the point where I was printing it out to stare at it and decide if I really wanted it, and then I decided I didnt want to be calling myself out as a piece of shit every time I wore short sleeves.

It pisses me off because I still think the vein tattoo would be cool, but A POS is dumb, and A+ would just be retarded, like I was the head of my special ed class.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:29 am

Could be worse, you could be 'A Big Piece Of Shit'
I survived Zombie Con 07

AK-9-Pie

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:09 am

ahahahah thats good.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:10 pm

And Doc Simon's military medical comedy hour is over.
I survived Zombie Con 07

AK-9-Pie

Return to “Bug Out Gear”