possibly the ultimate survival weapon?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

1stcavmp77
BANNED

possibly the ultimate survival weapon?

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:41 pm

quiet, cheap, reusable ammo, good for small and medium game, and you can make your own ammo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGIcCRJGYug" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Re: possibly the ultimate survival weapon?

Post by Jeriah » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:08 pm

That video contained vastly less fail than I'd been expecting. I've launched arrows from a slingshot, of course, but that mod would make it much easier and more accurate.

Obviously for hunting I'd rather have a bow, but my experiences launching cheap target arrows from an unmodified slingshot confirm, it's got the power to launch an arrow much like a fairly light-draw bow. I don't think we're going to see a "slingshot season" for deer any time soon, nor is this thing any real threat to a compound or crossbow, but in a survival situation, very worth trying.

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:13 pm

the thing is it would be very easy to carry this in your bob or woods edc bag and it shouldn't be very hard to make a couple arrows. carry a couple broadheads and you're all set.

spacecase0
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil series

Post by spacecase0 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:38 pm

Jeriah wrote:"slingshot season"
I would love to see it if it happened,
especially if it let people use ballista.
or would the ballista be filled in the bow section of things ?
maybe you would have to have a separate "Siege Engine" season. :)
"1911, AK, corn bread, red/blue wire neutral"
people in america still like to pretend they are free, the day they know they are not, they will stop pretending

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:51 pm

I have seen state laws that expressly permit the use of an Atlatl for hunting.

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:39 pm

Wow, I think that's a pretty cool use of a standard slingshot! Not something I would have at all thought of!

And like 1stcavmp77 said, just carry around a few arrows and a bunch of broadheads and you are on business!
ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

B3NJ4M1N

Post by B3NJ4M1N » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:57 pm

heh cool. i have one of those slingshots somewhere but the band is rotting/need a new one.
i also saw the other day that they sell those slingshots at walmart for something like $5.68

The Punisher
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of Living Dead of course... pfft.

Post by The Punisher » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:03 pm

I meant to post earlier on this.

It seems decent enough, but I just don't think you'll get the umph you need for BIG game. But then again, I've never shot a deer or anything larger with a slingshot and an arrow. So... someone try it out and let me know. If you're not attacked by an angry animal first. :P
"They laugh at the law... but they don't laugh at me." - Punisher

Author of "First Line of Defense: A Zombie Novel" (Work in Progress)

The Zombie Apocalypse Community

miles
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by miles » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:55 pm

I saw that video yesterday and it made me seriously consider getting a slingshot. I had been considering ideas for a weapon that I didn't need to worry about making sure I had enough ammo packed. In theory you could make some arrows (broadheads optional) to use this way. If not you still had something for small game.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:22 am

I watched this earlier tonight, I subscribe to them on youtube. I'm seriously thinking about building a few of these and seeing what I could do with them. I'm glad someone posted that video in here because I'm too lazy to do it myself.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

none1

Post by none1 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:27 am

The Punisher wrote:I meant to post earlier on this.

It seems decent enough, but I just don't think you'll get the umph you need for BIG game. But then again, I've never shot a deer or anything larger with a slingshot and an arrow. So... someone try it out and let me know. If you're not attacked by an angry animal first. :P
lack of UMPH seems to be a common theoretical comment on this sling, even by those commenting on the youtube site

Well .... hes put an arrow through a metal drum and 12 inches into a hay bail with that slingshot arrow. How much UMPH do people think they need to kill a deer? I mean, its not like deer are armored or anything, they're pretty squishy. :)

ALSO NOTE ....
HE IS ONLY 10 yards away. 10 yards. I'm not at all suprised the slingshot can deliver some powerful force to an arrow ... at 10 yards. Yes, its harder to get that close to a deer, but certainly doable. AND .. he's a pretty good shot.
ninja-elbow wrote: Almost every survival show I've ever seen has one common denominator: lack of caloric intake is shitty.

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:17 am

Interesting! I like it a lot! Definitely going to try this out! Thanks!

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:57 pm

i really like this idea and i think with enough practice and some decent stalking skills this could be a better survival weapon than a .22 rifle or a regualr bow.

That German Guy

Post by That German Guy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:15 pm

I like it, I like it a lot!

As for the power thing: A guy I know manages to get 120 joules out of a custom-built slingshot shooting it butterfly-style, which puts you in the .22 short range. He figures he could do 250 easily with stronger bands, but wrist strength is the limiting factor in Germany: no arm supports allowed.
SMoAF wrote:We all ended up moving in together at one point, and I paid our rent in guns.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

spacecase0
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil series

Post by spacecase0 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:17 pm

250 joules
that sounds great,
I will try it soon.
"1911, AK, corn bread, red/blue wire neutral"
people in america still like to pretend they are free, the day they know they are not, they will stop pretending

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:22 pm

I am definitely going to throw one of these together to add to the Arsenal, and start looking for closeout bargains at outdoor stores and garage sales to rebuild the arrow supply I had from my compound bow days.

I think this idea has really excellent potential to take down game in a survival situation, especially using decent broadhead arrows.

Self-defense use? Probably not so much, if only because of how long it looks like it takes to reload for another shot.

But for putting rabbit, turkey, possum, coon, nutria, deer, even large fish on the dinner table, this simple rig would be the bee's knees for quiet killing at 10-20 yards.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

Red Cell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by Red Cell » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:38 pm

Part 2 Prepping the Sling Bow for a Big Game Hunt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshtEe_T ... annel_page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
END THE FED

1stcavmp77
BANNED

Post by 1stcavmp77 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:42 pm

damn ya beat me to it. i was just fixing to post that.

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Damn!! That's nuts!!

But now you would have to carry around 2 different drawstrings to do that I would thing. But still much better than having to carry around a full bow!!
ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

Lionheart
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead both the original and remake, 28 days later and 28 weeks later, the first night of the living dead, Planet Terror and even though technically i got it in an audio book world war z.

Post by Lionheart » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Damn I always knew you could do that but I never took it seriously since if you don't got the key ring you get terrible accuracy. I'm definitely gonna do it to the slingshot I got stashed in my b.o.b. especially since I have the same kind as the dude in the video.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
Al Swearengen

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:03 am

Looks like a pretty cheap/simple weapon for long term use...

Interesting.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Red Cell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by Red Cell » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:46 am

The heavy pull black bands are key.
http://www.slingshots.com/html/slingshot-bands-rr2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
END THE FED

That German Guy

Post by That German Guy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:03 am

spacecase0 wrote:250 joules
that sounds great,
I will try it soon.
This guy benches his body weight. "Normal" people can expect 100 or so joules with a wrist support, 40 without it.
SMoAF wrote:We all ended up moving in together at one point, and I paid our rent in guns.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:No one on ZS worth their membership would be in a frozen forest, alone, without being loaded out like they've got Les Fucking Stroud himself in their enormous and ergonomic backpack.

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:23 am

Ive been doing this for years...

Id NEVER use it on large game, but it works for small to medium game all day long.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”