Got a canteen stove today.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ninja steve

Got a canteen stove today.

Post by ninja steve » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Went to the surplus store to buy a poncho liner and came out with that plus a canteen stove and 3 fuel bars. I saw it and figured why not its like $5. So I brought it home and tested it out. Poncho liner works perfectly. Canteen stove not so much. Anyway...

Here it is
Already had the canteen and the cup. total cost of this is about $10. $1.50 for three, bars of fuel.

Here it is set up, very easy to figure out.

For my little test I wanted to see how long it would take to get the water warm, hot and boiling. And also how long the fuel will burn for. Air temp was 73F. It took 2 minutes for the water to get warm, hot water at 5:30 and boiling at...oh shit it didnt boil. 2/3 of the bar burned for 8 minutes. But the water was hot enough to throw in a dehyrdated meal I think.

All thats left...

So ZS this little stove is good for warming up some water, but not for boiling unless I just suck that bad? Hmm also the fuel package says For heating components of a meal. I'd try more fuel but only have a little left. Going camping this weekend I'm picking up more on Friday and I will make it boil damnit! :twisted:

11binf

Re: Got a canteen stove today.

Post by 11binf » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:57 pm

this will help with the tioxane tabs,break the whole tablet in half and stack the bar on top of it's self and light,add water up to the top rivet of the cup and light...this should be good to warm water for a M.H. dry food single serve pouch or MRE...i also use Esbit tablets as well, one tablet (the new large tabs) will work to warm water but two will bring your water to a rolling boil at high elevation...the long and short of the stove and cup are it's great to WARM water or chow but not cook a three course meal... enjoy ....vince g. 11b inf...
vince g. 11b inf...

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Find something to use as a lid for the cup. The water just might boil if you can hold in some of that escaping heat.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

wpick

Post by wpick » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Hello All

Speaking of canteen stoves, have you seen this video on youtube yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUhKx-TC9K0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy your breakfast!

Walter

Indiana

Post by Indiana » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 pm

I keep a piece of alfoil with my bum bag kit to use as a lid. It folds up small, and will help a lot. I also add small twigs to the fire under the cup to improve the heat.

ninja steve

Post by ninja steve » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Thanks for all the great ideas! Lid is next purchase. Didnt even think about another type of fuel, or an alcohol stove. I'll have to look around town and see what I can find before this weekend.

TC

Post by TC » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:39 am

wpick wrote:Hello All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUhKx-TC9K0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy your breakfast!

Walter
Cool vid, thanks for the link! Always cool to see what can be cooked with a canteen stove.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:08 am

Thanks for the post. I was at a 'surplus' place yesterday looking for one of them. They didnt have one but they did have lots of beach supplies.

(If you couldn't tell the place sucked)
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

111t

Post by 111t » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:34 pm

Hexamine is better than trioxane. Try hexamine. Esbit tabs are probably the best. Gander mountain has a house brand of rebranded generic hexamine tabs. You can tell hexamine by the fishy smell. or you could light a small wood fire under there.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

TC

Post by TC » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:53 pm

111t wrote:Hexamine is better than trioxane. Try hexamine. Esbit tabs are probably the best. Gander mountain has a house brand of rebranded generic hexamine tabs. You can tell hexamine by the fishy smell. or you could light a small wood fire under there.
Alcohol FTW. Hexi smells like rotting arse, not the most appetising smell before a meal and much more of a bitch to light compared to alcohol in most conditions. I suppose each has its advantages though, hexi isn't going to leak all over you pack no matter what happens.

Oh, and I almost forgot about that god awful mess hexi leaves under your mess tin when you've been using it...
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.

cg3006

Post by cg3006 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:17 pm

Heres a link to a lid for the cup. Dave Canterbury sell's them for $10 on his web site. Also see the link below. Same item.

http://www.heavycoverinc.com/products.html

Allen

Post by Allen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:15 am

As others have said, a piece of aluminum foil for a lid will help a lot.
I made an alcohol stove for mine from a Red Bull can, some fiberglass insulation, and a bit of screen. It boils great.

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:44 am

I use the Esbit tabs or Hexi if I have to; and use the alum foil. Just store it in the bottom of the cup when not in use, it keeps your heat from escaping too fast.

I'll admit they aren't the best stoves out there but in terms of cost, size and portability, I think they rock. Yes it won't cook a full meal, but yes it will give you warm food or drink when you need it. Like at 11,000 feet in Colorado in December.
ImageImage

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:06 am

My Dad uses these to warm up his water. He has ever since I could remember (the 70s??) Backpacking and motorcycle trips included.

I use folding Esbits with both Tri and Hex -amine tabs as back ups and in my disaster kits. I used to use an Esbit as my primary backpacking stove until I got better stuff. I cooked bacon with hex tabs and a mess kit one time.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Imbroglio

Post by Imbroglio » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:25 am

Enjoy your breakfast!

Walter
That is damn cool. I never thought of trying to make something
like that in a canteen. I gotta try it next bbq day.

I wonder if instead of rocks, water could be used like a double
boiler. Afterwards the boiling water could be used for coffee to
drink along with the muffin.

TC

Post by TC » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:59 am

Imbroglio wrote:

Enjoy your breakfast!

Walter
That is damn cool. I never thought of trying to make something
like that in a canteen. I gotta try it next bbq day.

I wonder if instead of rocks, water could be used like a double
boiler. Afterwards the boiling water could be used for coffee to
drink along with the muffin.
If you like that sort of thing, I recommend you check out this old Tabasco C-Ration Cookbook.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:22 pm

The muffins in a canteen cup thing is pretty awesome. :)
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:07 pm

111t wrote:Hexamine is better than trioxane. Try hexamine. Esbit tabs are probably the best. Gander mountain has a house brand of rebranded generic hexamine tabs. You can tell hexamine by the fishy smell.
+1 on that; hexi is a much better source of heat than trioxane, even if it does smell odd and leave black crap all over your cookset.

Trioxane has roughly half the energy density of hexamine (6609 vs 12079 BTU/lb), so you need twice as much trioxane as you would hexi to boil a cup of water.

From the same reference, ethanol is almost as good as hexamine (11531 BTU/lb) and gives a cleaner burn.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Allen

Post by Allen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:03 am

In a pinch, You can improvise a "fuel tab" by soaking a cotton ball with alcohol (even rubbing alcohol) and burning it. You can also burn other thngs in Your canteen stove, like Corn Chips,Petroleum Jelly,Hand Sanitizer, and of course Bio Mass.

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”