Hennessy Hammock Quick Setup System (Pic Heavy)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Hennessy Hammock Quick Setup System (Pic Heavy)

Post by thelight » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Though the Hennessy Hammock is relatively quick to setup, I really wanted to make it faster and simpler. I just wasn't a fan of the lashing that Hennessy recommends and knots get a bit annoying. After researching through various hammock forums and sites, this system popped up in various forms and looked like it would work really well. After using it for a few trips (including z-con) I can say it's really nice. Setup time is now around 30 seconds with adjusting for level.

What you'll need:
The items in this list were picked for weight and load capability. ONLY USE ITEMS that are specifically designed to support a heavy, dynamic load. Preliminary Setup:
  • Use a Girth Hitch to tie two descending rings to one end of the tree-hugger. You now have a Garda Hitch.
  • Clip the Carabiner to the other loop on the tree-hugger.
  • Repeat with the other tree-hugger
Setup and Use:
Wrap the tree-hugger around a tree

Feed the rings through the 'biner

Pull taut

Take the line from the hammock and feed it through both rings

Loop the hammock line around both of the rings and feed the loose end between them.

Pull the loose end through until your hammock is positioned at the level you like.

The weight on the hammock end of the line will cause the rings to bite into the loose end, securing the whole system in place.

To adjust or take down the hammock, simply split the rings apart.

Larger photos can be found on my flickr page. There are many variations on this setup so you will likely be able to find one that works for your hammock.

So, Thoughts/Opinions?
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

northernxposure

Re: Hennessy Hammock Quick Setup System (Pic Heavy)

Post by northernxposure » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:23 pm

I like everything but the stress of the system placed on the carabiner - they aren't designed to support tension like that.

If it were me, I'd just make the looped wrap larger and thread it around the tree like you've done with the descender rings - that way you've got one less piece of hardware to worry about failing.

Other than that - solid system and will work GREAT.

NXP

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:42 pm

northernxposure wrote:I like everything but the stress of the system placed on the carabiner - they aren't designed to support tension like that.

Note that I know nothing about climbing and it's gear past what I've read, but I was under the impression that this particular carabiner was rated for 24Kn. Again, I'm no expert but that translates to around 5000 lbs, no?
northernxposure wrote:If it were me, I'd just make the looped wrap larger and thread it around the tree like you've done with the descender rings - that way you've got one less piece of hardware to worry about failing.
I was worried that the stitching wouldn't be strong enough to the the lateral force. Might have to experiment a bit more.
Thanks for the feedback!
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:37 pm

Looks cool.

I've been looking at the Slap Straps from ENO
http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/slap-strap.html
This looks a lot like the solution that you've come up with, but with multiple loops along the strap length rather than the double ring set up.

-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

Mags
Favorite Zombie Movies: *cough*not a zombie*cough* "Dog Soldiers" Just watch it. I'm sure this crowd will approve!

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:16 pm

He's correct about the biner. Prolly wouldn't give you trouble but why chance it with your BOB/camping gear. Slap Straps work great! "Tree hugger" straps with the bonus of built in daisychain loops that make set up eaiser and faster. Plus one to SLap Straps!
MAGS BOB THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=41853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS MED THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 43&t=42670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS FOOD THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=104784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Well, for me, the action is the juice..........I'm in."

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:13 pm

[quote="outoforder2day]Note that I know nothing about climbing and it's gear past what I've read, but I was under the impression that this particular carabiner was rated for 24Kn. Again, I'm no expert but that translates to around 5000 lbs, no?

I was worried that the stitching wouldn't be strong enough to the the lateral force. Might have to experiment a bit more.
Thanks for the feedback![/quote]

If you look on the carabiner, there will be two numbers separated by something that looks like an oval with a tipped in side - this is the rating of the 'biner in KN. A 'biner with the GATE CLOSED suspended with the weight on the long axis of the 'biner will have the stronger (highest) number, usually 24KN. With the GATE OPEN, the same axis will be rated at the smaller number (usual 9KN, though this depends on manufacturer and carabiner design). For short axis rating, you'll need to check with the manufacturer, though these are usually much less due to the placement of the gate.

Placing the carbiner like you are, you're "bending" the spine to form a lock around the trunk. It will work - it just puts a lot of stress on the carabiner.

If you purchased a stitched loop, don't worry about the stitching giving way. The bar-tacks are good for almost the strength of the webbing (usually the webbing fails first unless you've cut the bartacks up horriblely).

You don't need to purchase a loop, if you really don't trust the bartacks, you can make your own loop with some 1" webbing and a waterknot. I've climbed for years with these to create an extender for my fixed anchors/protection and have never had a problem with a waterknot tied webbing supporting more than my weight.

But back to the original comment - great idea and it'll work wonderfully for adjustment on the HH!

NXP

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by thelight » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:50 am

Found a ludicrously simple fix for the carabiner issue. Just clip the 'biner to the rings. The pull will remain straight and it doesn't interfere with the operation of the rings. My gf and I tested this for the entire ZSNY Paddlefest and it worked like a charm.
Thanks all for the input!
~Winston Churchill

Organdonor

Post by Organdonor » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:06 am

Another thing to do is to wrap the tree hugger around the tree several times. This gives the tree hugger more surface area so not only is it less likely to damage the tree, but also takes much of the strain off the carabiner. The more times you wrap it, the less stress on the carabiner.

KarnEdge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by KarnEdge » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:04 pm

Sorry to resurrect this topic but I wanted to point out that this modification works out perfectly. Definitely makes it way easier for setup. I finally got to use my Ultralite Backpacker A-sym for an entire night and there was no loss of suspension or any problems with the carabiners. I just wanted to thank thelight for this modification and show my ZS love.

Pictures of the setup with the hammock up:
ImageImage

And finally one for the whole shelter (the morning after):

NOTE: BTW make sure you get the SMC (silver) aluminum type descending rings because they hold firmly and tightly with the loop demonstrated. Not to mention, they're cheaper and lighter in weight. I ended up getting one pair of those and Omega Pacific (purple) types because every store with climbing gear ran out of the silver ones. The purple ones slip almost instantly when pressure is applied.

(Apparently the other rings are actually rappelling rings which makes sense that they slip.)
"What if Pinocchio said 'My nose will grow'?"
- Philosoraptor
[Introduction Post]

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by thelight » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Ah, great! Glad to see some folks are getting use out of this system. Thanks for posting back and welcome to the forum!
~Winston Churchill

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:35 pm

I have been using the Eno Slap-straps "Pro" and yes they do work with the following caveats:

Slap-straps are made of nylon. Nylon=stretchy. The first couple times I used these I found the hammock had sagged pretty far from where it started during the course of the night... one time when I pitched low to help deal with heavy winds I woke up with my ass on the ground... I was not impressed.

To fix this issue I set the Slap-Straps up in my backyard hammock hang spot, but in place of the hammock I hung a ratcheting tie-down strap. I was able to put a bunch of tension on the straps, then I left them out like this for a week, checking back once in a while to add a click or two of tension. This stretched the straps out permanently to the point where they don't give much any more... but it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through to use a product that should work off the shelf.

Secondly, unlike many (most) hammocks, the DD hammock I use is designed to be pitched TAUT. That is, there should be very little angle in your suspension, it should be as close to parallel to the ground as you can manage. With the Slap-straps I find that the optimal position is usually "between loops". So I end up adjusting by untying one end of the hammock from the 'biner and tensioning by hand. I've considered adding descender rings or a cinch-buckle for fine-tuning on one end.... then I ask myself what I need the Slap Straps for, or why I don't do like the pros and get a Whoopie Sling setup. It never ends <sigh>

The loops spacing is probably not an issue if you're using a hammock that has more of a Brazilian-type lay, but the stretch is kinda.... annoying.

MikeM wrote:Looks cool.

I've been looking at the Slap Straps from ENO
This looks a lot like the solution that you've come up with, but with multiple loops along the strap length rather than the double ring set up.

-Mike
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Ok so I jumped off the deep end and moved up to Whoopie Slings.

I went over to Arrowhead Equipment and bought these slings with these straps and these toggles. I guess I could have made my own toggles out of all sorts of things I have laying about, but for the $$, why not?

"Shug" Emery from hammockforums.net gives a pretty good explanation of how to use Whoopie slings in this video, starting around the 3 minute mark. Instead of a 'biner or Dutch clip, I just run one end of my tree straps through the loop on the other end- easy.

This system gives me infinite adjustment (within the limits of the sling) for about 1/2 the weight of the Eno Slap Straps and a couple lightweight climbing carabiners, not to mention less bulk.

The only downsides I can think of are, price, and I might need to add some sort of drip loops to prevent water from migrating down the sling to the hammock.

Now to find a faster/better way to do my tarp ridgeline...
“What do you say we gather the camp elders; Be perplexed amongst friends?” – Al Swearengen (Deadwood)

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:18 pm

I bought some of the same gear, and plan on testing it in the field this weekend...

Jamie
Festus Hagen wrote:Ok so I jumped off the deep end and moved up to Whoopie Slings.

I went over to Arrowhead Equipment and bought these slings with these straps and these toggles. I guess I could have made my own toggles out of all sorts of things I have laying about, but for the $$, why not?

"Shug" Emery from hammockforums.net gives a pretty good explanation of how to use Whoopie slings in this video, starting around the 3 minute mark. Instead of a 'biner or Dutch clip, I just run one end of my tree straps through the loop on the other end- easy.

This system gives me infinite adjustment (within the limits of the sling) for about 1/2 the weight of the Eno Slap Straps and a couple lightweight climbing carabiners, not to mention less bulk.

The only downsides I can think of are, price, and I might need to add some sort of drip loops to prevent water from migrating down the sling to the hammock.

Now to find a faster/better way to do my tarp ridgeline...
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by thelight » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:03 am

That's a real neat setup... What's the weight rating on the whoopie slings?
~Winston Churchill

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 am

Approximately one shit-ton <goes and looks> Amsteel 1/8" allegedly has an average break strength of 2300-2500 lbs (not a misprint). Putting knots in it severely reduces that (30-50%), but the buried eye splice is said to reduce it by 3% to as little as 0% <shrugs> I don't know what the Lark's Head I use to attach the sling to the hammock does, if anything.

7/64" Amsteel is plenty strong (break strength 1600 still gives me almost 7x safety factor at my weight) but I had my reasons for going 1/8".

I tested the system last night and it works great. Detected zero slippage. I got in the hammock, lay there for a bit, got back out and snugged it up a bit more "just like that" (remember the DD likes to be pitched taut).
thelight wrote:That's a real neat setup... What's the weight rating on the whoopie slings?

Invis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Invis » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 am

Nice...

I'll be there if your gonna serve peaches!
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Festus Hagen

Post by Festus Hagen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:51 am

Haha yes and "No unauthorized cinnamon!!!"
Invis wrote:Nice...

I'll be there if your gonna serve peaches!

Coho911
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead, The Road,

Post by Coho911 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Do you have any bug netting or a bivy in there ?

Also - whats the weight of the hammock, straps & tackle (rope & metal bits) packed ? (I already have a Sil Tarp 2 :

Sil Tarp 2 link :
http://performanceoutdoorgear.com/store ... 3ee0aecd44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

trekkingnut

Post by trekkingnut » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:52 pm

this post was fantastic!

i have gone and made it myself and put a video up on youtube, i didnt cite your idea directly because its on other forums as well but i thought id metion it on here because i saw it here first!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thats the video about it i made today, not brilliant quality because it was windy but shows its benefits none the less.

i used the omega pacific rings and didnt find them to slip at all, however, looping it through once more and finish it off with a simple quick release knot never did anyone any harm....

i cant upload any photos as of yet but they are on the way!

thanks for your help with this guys! i spent almost six months living out of my hennessy hammock whilst working and this has just made my life so much easier!
I dont regret the things ive done, only those that i havent....

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:35 pm

trekkingnut wrote:this post was fantastic!

i have gone and made it myself and put a video up on youtube, i didnt cite your idea directly because its on other forums as well but i thought id metion it on here because i saw it here first!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thats the video about it i made today, not brilliant quality because it was windy but shows its benefits none the less.

i used the omega pacific rings and didnt find them to slip at all, however, looping it through once more and finish it off with a simple quick release knot never did anyone any harm....

i cant upload any photos as of yet but they are on the way!

thanks for your help with this guys! i spent almost six months living out of my hennessy hammock whilst working and this has just made my life so much easier!
Nice video & setup on the HH !

I hate those tree huggers that come with their products. My must be only 2 feet long and a few times they were not long enough so I had to get out some climbing rope as backup.

I am getting ready to use the tree slings that came with my Grandtrunk on my next outing to see if they work any better

JoeTosco

Post by JoeTosco » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:48 am

Great ideas! I used small rope to tie the hammock all my camping life, and that is boring and slow, and adjusting the height is a pain in the ass.

I'll try a mix of the ideas discussed here.
Andre Miranda

Just a guy who likes Guns, Bows, Blades, Tactical Gear, aircooled VW's, and girls.

My bowie
My small utility knife
My sharp finger knife
My longbow

trekkingnut

Post by trekkingnut » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:07 am

the ring system also prevents water running down the line, however snake skins in my experience (rainy reason in various rain forests) do this anyway....

its too windy again today to film anything but tomorrow im going to do a video that will cover every bit of info i can think of regarding the hammock, different ways or rigging the tarp for rain or shine or cooking, one/two sets of snake skins, tarp mod with para cord to make it more stable, using it as a chair, lying on the outside instead of inside the netting, hanging gear inside, hanging boots inside but leaving them outside, and any other tips or tricks that i can think of that have made my time using this a lot easier. (none of it involves any cutting)

i wont be doing a lot of stuff about insulation, firstly i only use my hennessy in the rainforest or the tropics when im at work so insulation hasnt been much of an issue, only at dawn in cloud forests. also personally i dont find it that hard to get on my roll matt... i really dont understand what the fuss is, you lay it corner to corner, sit on it and twist..... then lie down......

if the worst comes to the worst, i put my sleeping bag on the outside and zip it up so it looks like a giant pea pod... then you arent compressing it and you arent loosing an insulation!

long post i know, sorry..... video will be better at explaining it all....

glad the video helped people a little bit, it does add around 180gms of weight but a small price to pay for such fast set up! and the tensioning is childs play!

trekkingnut

Post by trekkingnut » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:44 pm

p.s for those of you living in the states, this site is one of the best HH sites ive ever come across....

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trekkingnut

Post by trekkingnut » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:36 pm

heres the vid!

not as good as i would like, but will do for a first draft....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwzZTeAE3yc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this covers all the little bits and pieces that people always want to know....

would appreciate some feedback when you get the chance!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”