What you'll need:
The items in this list were picked for weight and load capability. ONLY USE ITEMS that are specifically designed to support a heavy, dynamic load.
- 4 rated decending rings (you could use carabiners for this too, but that get's expensive.)
- 2 rated aluminum wire-gate carabiners
- Your existing tree-huggers
- Use a Girth Hitch to tie two descending rings to one end of the tree-hugger. You now have a Garda Hitch.
- Clip the Carabiner to the other loop on the tree-hugger.
- Repeat with the other tree-hugger
Wrap the tree-hugger around a tree
Feed the rings through the 'biner
Take the line from the hammock and feed it through both rings
Loop the hammock line around both of the rings and feed the loose end between them.
Pull the loose end through until your hammock is positioned at the level you like.
The weight on the hammock end of the line will cause the rings to bite into the loose end, securing the whole system in place.
To adjust or take down the hammock, simply split the rings apart.
Larger photos can be found on my flickr page. There are many variations on this setup so you will likely be able to find one that works for your hammock.