Bug Out Uniform are BDUs a bad idea?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Hatch
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Land of the Dead, Night of the Comet, Resident Evil, Shaun of the Dead

Re: Bug Out Uniform are BDUs a bad idea?

Post by Hatch » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:52 pm

My bug out clothes include BDUs, but in solid colors (OD, khaki, grey). I mix colored tops and bottoms to prevent the "uniform" look, or go with a neutral or natural color t-shirt, fleece, or jacket (coyote brown, ranger green, etc.) to break things up. What you get is a "camo" that will blend in with civilian wear in urban areas, but also provide a degree of color blending in woods or rural areas. And while you get mil-spec durability from the clothing, it doesn't look overtly military, which might be a major plus depending upon the situation.

My disaster plans focus heavily on bugging in, and I consider bugging out to be a measure of last resort. But if I have to bug out, even if I'm carrying a rifle and a sidearm, I don't want to look like a soldier or SWAT guy. Depending upon the situation, there's a good chance that doing so will either draw more attention to you from people seeking help from the establishment, or it will put a target on your back. Neither situation do I want.

--Hatch
3d6. That's how I roll.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:43 pm

I wouldn't for the same reason none of my gear is camo: If you lose it, it BLENDS IN.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Jinn
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Jinn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:55 pm

DallasLooterShooter wrote: Low profile is king -- you want to blend in with the sheep, not make yourself a target.
This.

Also, review this:

Message from Russia: Survival During the Civil War in Tajikistan

Peace.
txKingfisher wrote:I'm all for treading lightly and being a responsible steward of the land, but if that thing comes near me Imma fuck it up.
Jeriah wrote:Anyway, Steph lobbed it to me and I cut it the fuck in half.

sotik

Post by sotik » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:13 pm

If I wanted to hide from people in the woods I would use hunting clothes not militaristic camo. First off I don't get why people think woodland camo is so great, its easy to spot in the woods, maybe not for animals or maybe I have super vision but playing years of paintball with people who wear camo in wooded areas I have yet to see anyone who blended in with the woods.

Secondly people, or should I say rednecks, wear hunting clothes all the time so it wouldn't seem out of the normal for someone to be wearing it epically if you live in an area where lots of people wear that kind of clothing.

Eample

Woodland camo in use

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/imag ... poncho.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dec.ny.gov/images/wildlife_i ... _blaze.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hunting clothes in use

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-c ... 29-ts1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/273 ... b46e_m.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.outdoor-z.com/photos/the_lat ... d_hunt.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While hunting gear doesn't make you invisible it does blend in a whole lot better then woodland does in my opinion. Just my thoughts on the subject, woodland camo makes you look militaristic and doesn't blend in well, hunting camo makes you look like all the other rednecks and will blend in much better.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:01 pm

I think it really, really depends on your AO and your Bug Out plan. If you are in an urban environment, it's best to wear subdued or drab solid colors like greys, greens, browns, black, etc, to avoid drawing attention to yourself, because in an urban environment your goal is to maintain a low-ish profile to blend in long enough to GTFO. In a rural environment though, camouflage would be very useful as long as it is a good match to the season and your surroundings. You could choose to look like a hiker, or you could choose to be as invisible as practically possible, your choice.
Not to mention BDUs are very rugged and will last you years, so they are great clothes anyway for a time when you won't be able to trot down to the gap and get a new pair of jeans.
It all really depends on your overall Bug Out philosophy, and personal preference.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:52 pm

I would nix the idea of a complete set of BDUs, in anything close to a modern camo pattern. No woodland, no desert tri-color, no MARPAT, ACU universal and no Multi-Cam. Chocolate Chip would be OK because nobody took that seriously when we wore it back in Desert Storm.

For those of you looking for an excellent winter/fall non military camo Columbia Sportswear, yeah those guys, did a winter parka in a great bark pattern called "Olive Green Sycamore Bark" The jacket is called Rodeo Magic II Parka and it is on the outlet page of their web site. It looks toasty warm. A pair of trousers in that pattern with a OD top would be very effective camouflage.

Here is the link.

http://www.columbia.com/sale-discount-m ... =1&start=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 pm

broylz wrote:ACUs are pretty worthless everywhere except maybe laying down in a gravel road trying to get run over.
And even then it would have to be at night! LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

kyleg
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Diary of the Dead, Night of the Creeps.

Post by kyleg » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:29 pm

In a typical day in my AO, which is a large metro area, I see people who are/ in the business of:
lawncare
construction
students
homeless
who wear at least one piece of military or military style camo. My bug out plans, which are of a last resort, has taken this into consideration.
Would I advise anyone to wear a full get up? No. I would advise to look at your AO and adjust accordingly? Yes.
Last edited by kyleg on Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:46 pm

Wear ANYTHING that will increase your chances at surviving!
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

knight_308

Post by knight_308 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:46 pm

I make it a point to only wear one item of camo at a time, lest I be pegged as a wannabe. I did just get some khaki bdus from lapg and they're pretty nice.

Given that I always wear cargos and military style boots I would be in a significant danger of looking like a wannabe if I camo'd up.
Proud to be a Cake Browncoat: "May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."

knight_308's EDC

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:56 pm

I own a pair of realtree pants and a BDU? (I'll go check in a few) shirt. I also have a buttpack/belt thing that I can't quite place. Maybe '50s Canadian? The only time I wear the complete list is when playing with my younger brother. I figure I won't notice mud stains or anything on them, and it's good exercise. I can't believe how much energy a 13yo has over a 26yo... I guess I'm just way out of shape. Of course, I'm also in an area where 'redneck hunters' are usually wearing whatever camo they happen to find.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Your environment should always be the determining factor of your camo. ACU is garbage unless you wear a set for two weeks and it gets nice and dirty. Standing in formation you kinda blend in with each other till that lovely wool sock on your head gives you away. Plus the new ACU's are not made nearly as well as the older BDU's I never blew a croch out on a set of BDU's and have some sets that are 10 years old ans still serviceable. ACU's last you about a year or two in garrison or 8-12 months in a deployment.

Just find a pattern that works in the environment your in being in central Texas my BOB set consists of tans and o.d. green although I did get me a pair of multi-cam pants so I can mall ninja around!!
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

NorrisUnleashed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead.
World War Z(I know not a Movie)

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:55 pm

I have a woodland M-65 field jacket with bug out stuff. I also wear woodland bdu's out hunting. The irony is when I bug out I will be wearing green carhart's.
Draugrbitr

Irwin J. Finster
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Irwin J. Finster » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:53 am

SkyGod wrote: Ugly ol' OD Green was they best for their application. It fades evenly, works in the wood, and is surprisingly hard to see at night. As a benefit, it is cheap and easy to match.

IMO for zombie purposes OD green clothing would be great as it is a normal civilian color. Dress down your OD green 5.11 pants with a black T-shirt and a pair of work boots and you wouldn't stand out in a crowd or the woods.
For exactly this reasons my BO Clothing and gear are OD. You are hard to see in the woods, and don't stand out in the city. If I was running around in my neighborhood, wearing full matching camo, I would get more then my share of queer looks, OTOH when I walk around completely clothed in OD noone gives me a second glance.
Nuke 'em till they glow,
Then shoot 'em in the Dark!

Stormrider
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombi II

Lots of really good B movies (is that an oxymoron?) whose titles slip my mind

Post by Stormrider » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:37 am

n some areas a full woodland getup wouldn't attract a second look, some places you'll stand out for even wearing carharts, so whether it's a bad idea or not depends on where you are. How about wearing full multicam or marpat or whatever you want and just sewing on a patch that says "west texas pretend special forces" or "I wish I was a Marine"...something of that nature :lol:

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:21 pm

SkyGod wrote:Their final conclusion:
Ugly ol' OD Green was they best for their application. It fades evenly, works in the wood, and is surprisingly hard to see at night. As a benefit, it is cheap and easy to match.

IMO for zombie purposes OD green clothing would be great as it is a normal civilian color. Dress down your OD green 5.11 pants with a black T-shirt and a pair of work boots and you wouldn't stand out in a crowd or the woods.
This is what I've always been told.

OD Green for pants, mix earth tones everywhere else (black, brown, green, tan, but no camo!).

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:13 pm

As someone who already wears BDU pants and issue boots pretty much all the time, I can already attest to the fact it's incredibly easy to give most civilians the wrong idea at first glance. As someone had said before, if you look professional and act professional, people will assume you are professional. I've since gone to wearing solid khaki pants now and rarely wearing solid ODs after getting too many people asking if I was former military when I wore out the OD pants and my Cadet issued black boots while they were still in good condition, a uniform that's not been in use, mind you, since before I was born in the late 80s (woodland BDU was phased in in 1982 for those keeping track).

It still sets me off when I have to correct even colleagues in my department that no, I was never in the Army (Air ROTC as a matter of fact, but will never classify myself as military since I couldn't go contract), and try to avoid passing myself off as anything but a civilian. I have friends and family who have been in the real military and they have my utmost love and respect and wouldn't dare pass myself off as a pretender. My problem is already having been in the Cadets and in a military family, I know what right looks like and don't do anything less. The fact I use almost completely milsurp gear and MOLLE equipment for my field gear and outdoor outings doesn't help the fact I need to correct people on a regular basis, even when I try to wear out only solid colors and no camo.

I'd say khaki, navy, and OD BDU works out fine, even when you concern yourself with concealment for your AO (Area of Operations). What I do is tend to mix BDU trousers with button up civilian shirts in blues, greys, and greens and depending on who's looking, actually come off as dress casual for my street clothes unless someone knows what BDU look like and take a good hard look at my boots (mostly just run into bumps with current/prior service as most civilians are oblivious). And as far as airsofting is a concern, I wear this to and from the games, then dress out into cammies once we arrive and dress out again before we leave. Misidentification certainly is a concern of mine.
Last edited by Crimson Phoenix on Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reddington

Post by Reddington » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:41 pm

If you want camo why not just wear hunting camo instead?

ferretrodeo

Post by ferretrodeo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:03 am

Wear what you want. I have a set of "greens" in my car. I also have a set of the current stuff in my closet for my bugout clothes. There is a place in Selma that sells "rejects" cheap. Wear what you think is best. There are dozens of different hunting patterns to pick from.
That which does not kill us makes us stronger, that which does kill us makes us dinner.

colorsafe

Post by colorsafe » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:38 am

DallasLooterShooter wrote:To me, unless it's all out war and civil unrest, you're better off just wearing earth tone clothes and carrying a hiking backpack with your gear in it.

Low profile is king -- you want to blend in with the sheep, not make yourself a target.
this is a good thread. gives a perspective that isn't always thought about. of course its situational, but its good to take a second look around at what is ultimately the most tactically sound for you in your surroundings (and what social collapse scenarios that most likely have in it for you).

here is a glimpse of marshall law, after Katrina (house to house searches to disarm home owners that wouldn't evacuate)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4IbxUMW ... L&index=20 it's on topic if you can visualize yourself on foot or in BOV. either way, i couldn't imagine what it would be like, forced to disarmed in my own home during a collapse like that one.

Suuko

Post by Suuko » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:31 am

Tiger Stripe, given your location is one of the best camo's to this date.
" The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves. "
- George Washington

Return to “Bug Out Gear”