Important Documents and the "ATP 2g Toughdrive"

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Merovech

Re: Important Documents and the "ATP 2g Toughdrive"

Post by Merovech » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Gatorfarmer wrote:... some of the attendant risk of infection that one runs when inserting random and presumably unsanitary items into their ass.
You know, this started as a perfectly normal review of a USB thumbdrive...

What happen?!

What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:37 pm

Merovech wrote:
Gatorfarmer wrote:... some of the attendant risk of infection that one runs when inserting random and presumably unsanitary items into their ass.

What happen?!
Eh. I didn't bring it up, but if people are going to go about shoving things up their ass, they might as well do it right. Who am I to judge how people want to use their gear? Solemn nod.

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Gatorfarmer wrote:
Merovech wrote:

What happen?!
Eh. I didn't bring it up, but if people are going to go about shoving things up their ass, they might as well do it right. Who am I to judge how people want to use their gear? Solemn nod.
uh huh...

What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

churchtech
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, 28 days later

Post by churchtech » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:38 am

USB drive, even "normal" ones, are pretty damn durable. I've accidentally sent one of mine through the washing machine twice, and it's been beaten up plenty. Still works great.

Limits include:
There are a limited number of write cycles on a drive. I would write the files on my "SHTF" drive once, and then leave it alone, don't go using it for anything/everything.

Supposedly, they can be impact sensitive. Too many G's can cause problems. Again, I've dropped mine probably dozens of times without issues, but I heard that it can be a problem.

They are not sensitive to magnetic fields (at least any that you will encounter in everyday life)

Some suggestions of what to put on one.
Scanned copies of Drivers License/CCW/ Credit Cards (front and back)
Scanned copies of any important financial documents (bank accounts/ other account)
Insurance info (life/auto/home/etc)
Copies of titles for house/car/loan documents
Any health care information you may have
Copies of your resume, degrees, certifications, etc.
Copies of tax information.
Digital pictures of everything in your house, with serial numbers if possible for insurance.
Any valued digital pictures of family, etc that would be good to have if the originals were lost (wedding photos, baby pics, etc)
I also have a digital copy of my paper binder that's in my BoB/INCH bag -- with maps, contact info, etc.

Everything is stored as either .jpg (for pics and some scans) .pdf (for some other scans, binder info and the like) or plain text, so as to be readable on damn near any computer.

The best thing to do to avoid problems if one breaks is to just copy the contents from one to another. Keep one with your GHB, and one with your BoB. They are cheap, and you don't need a huge one for everything listed.

IMHO, a USB drive is probably the most valuable thing in your BoB, in terms of it's ability to get your life back together after a disaster.

GlockASP
Favorite Zombie Movies: OMG, All of them

Post by GlockASP » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:22 pm

I have a 2gb Basic IronKey. Is it over kill, yes. It is dam near bomb proof and built like a tank!!! (but you pay for it)

It was on clearance for short money at Staples one day, for less then $30, so I jumped on it. The msrp on it is $99 on there web site, so I feel like I got a really good deal.

from there web site:
* Always-on, hardware-based encryption protects all data written to the device
* Cryptochip manages encryption keys, password brute force attack defenses, and self-destruct
* Supports Windows Vista, XP, 2000 SP4, Macintosh OSX and Linux without installing drivers
* Industrial-grade SLC flash chips deliver long life along with high transfer rates
* Physically hardened metal casing is waterproof and tamper resistant
* Designed and assembled in the USA

It is a little big and heavy compared to some other USB's out there. And I don't really care for the self-destruct.
I have to say that it has survived several trips in the washing machine, a dive in salt water (about 15-20 minutes), dropped it off the roof once (it's no longer on my keys), found my three year old's playing with it (the other one they had that day did not make it, it was a sandisk) and it has pretty much has the crap kicked out of it.

Would I run out and buy one at full retail, probably not. If I could find a good deal like I did with this one, I would jump on it though. I'm sure some of the other USB's out there could do just as good of a job storing your stuff. The only thing is the encryption, I think that is where this unit kicks butt. It might be overkill for everyday needs, but with all of the ID theft out there.

https://www.ironkey.com/
Stuck behind enemy lines in the peoples republik of Massholes!

"Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem"
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
Kinda funny, for a state that takes and regulates your liberty's to such extremes to have this as the state motto.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult

DeadLizard
Favorite Zombie Movies: Return of The Living Dead

Post by DeadLizard » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:51 pm

You know not to say anything bad about technology, but explain to me if you have this drive but no computer what are you gonna use it on? And on top of this what will happen if all your records is on this drive and someone else gets their hands on it? It's not realy hard to break encriptions....
You hunt us.... You Kill us..... And I know some of you eat us.... But zombies keep comming back.....

Cavediver

Post by Cavediver » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:38 pm

churchtech, how large does a drive need to be to accept all of that info, assuming 1G for insurance pics, and not including the personal digital pictures?

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:20 am

Cavediver wrote:churchtech, how large does a drive need to be to accept all of that info, assuming 1G for insurance pics, and not including the personal digital pictures?
I know you asked ChurchTech but I thought I would chime in as I am also a Computer Tech.

1GB USB drive should be fine for everything he mentioned... even if you put all the documents in PDF format.

Pictures can be resized and/or cropped. You do not need a huge 10MP camera picture to have great quality. Each picture should be no more than 1 MB size.

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:55 am

liberty45 wrote:
Cavediver wrote:churchtech, how large does a drive need to be to accept all of that info, assuming 1G for insurance pics, and not including the personal digital pictures?
I know you asked ChurchTech but I thought I would chime in as I am also a Computer Tech.

1GB USB drive should be fine for everything he mentioned... even if you put all the documents in PDF format.

Pictures can be resized and/or cropped. You do not need a huge 10MP camera picture to have great quality. Each picture should be no more than 1 MB size.
+1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DeadLizard wrote:You know not to say anything bad about technology, but explain to me if you have this drive but no computer what are you gonna use it on? And on top of this what will happen if all your records is on this drive and someone else gets their hands on it? It's not realy hard to break encriptions....
The idea is to just keep your data secure. Don't get me wrong, I have all of my important documents copied and laminated to protect the physical copies. As for my digital copies, I store backups on a DVD and flash drive. Makes good for emergencies when you have to get out of town. Most people today have a laptop to make data like this, easily managed. Anything outside of an apocalypse with no power and you'll be fine. If you plan on using it through the end of the world (lol) good luck!
ImageImage

Cavediver

Post by Cavediver » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:13 am

liberty45 wrote: I know you asked ChurchTech but I thought I would chime in as I am also a Computer Tech.

Thanks.
I bought a pair of 4GB sticks for my wife and I. The plan is to fill it with all of the relevant docs, and then start adding our personal pictures. For insurance purposes, I've been taking some fairly high resolution pictures of my firearms and tools so that you can see the model and serial numbers. We'll probably continue that with the electronics, appliances, bookshelves, and AV equipment / accessories.
In addition to that, I've got all of our books scanned into a database, along with all of the CDs, DVDs, and console games. With a 2K+ library, it would suck to lose those in a fire and have to go through a picture, writing them down title by title :D

GlockASP

Post by GlockASP » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:30 pm

DeadLizard wrote:You know not to say anything bad about technology, but explain to me if you have this drive but no computer what are you gonna use it on?
Good point, what about after the rebuilding, and you are one of just a handful of people that have a copy of any of there records. It could make a big difference.

Or you just got out of the "hot zone" and need to prove to the regional authorities who you are. Could come in very handy having that birth cert, passport, drivers license, medical records etc..
sheddi wrote:
oconnore wrote:Is there any precedent for government agencies respecting scanned passports?
Anecdotally, the last time I flew internationally I dropped my passport getting off the plane when I arrived home in the UK :oops: :roll: Fortunately I had a scanned-and-printed copy of my passport in amongst my travel documents, and on the strength of this (plus whatever info they had in their Big Government Database) the UK Border Agency allowed me into the UK. (I only went as far as the baggage agent's office where I was able to collect my passport once they'd found it.)

So yes, I'd say carrying scanned copies of your important documents could be useful, although printed copies are probably more useful.
Of course if you did have the good luck to find someone with a working computer in the PAW you could trade them a copy of Snood you have saved on your USB. :lol:

DeadLizaard wrote:And on top of this what will happen if all your records is on this drive and someone else gets their hands on it? It's not realy hard to break encriptions....
As for it being hard to break encryption, that depends on the level of encryption, the program used to encrypt it and a boat load of other variables. All encryption can and will be broken at some point, it just matters on the time it takes to break it (or so I have read). If you want to crack the password on your MS word or excel documents, then yea it is pretty easy (there are loads of free programs to do it). If you want to crack an email that was encrypted with PGP, now you have a problem, it could take your home computer 30, 40, 50+ years if ever to crack it.

If the average scumbag got your USB and it had a basic encryption used on your info, it would most likely be safe. :)

It all comes down to time. Is the data that important to the person that stole it to put that amount of time and effort in to cracking it. Or would the hardware be a faster profit for them.

Kinda funny, for a state that takes and regulates your liberty's to such extremes to have this as the state motto.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Deus Vult

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

Post by thefirebuilds » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:34 pm

great find! I find myself concerned about encryption on my thumb drive often, i constantly lose it and i keep my budget on it as well as a lot of biz documents.

here are some shopping links:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&rl ... a=N&tab=wf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

Copperhead
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Copperhead » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:43 am

I too have a Ironkey. But more for the geeker joy than for any real practical purpose.

If you want a program for encrypting your files, truecrypt is free. With a strong password (AK$H?/`jsht) it will take a lot of processor hours to crack the file. It is usually easier and cheaper to break the persons fingers until they tell you the password.
Of course, Truecrypt thought of this, and allows you to have "nested" partitions, allowing someone to think they have access to your top secret information, while you can just let them see altered data.

The Alphabets might be able to access your files, but it is likely fat more than the average person will ever need encryption-wise.
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - R.A.Heinlein

Cavediver

Post by Cavediver » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:34 am

Copperhead wrote:The Alphabets
????

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:19 am

The alphabets or alphabet soups or monograms...
FBI
CIA
DEA
BATFE
NSA
DOE
DOI
FCC
FAA
etc.

Cavediver

Post by Cavediver » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:38 am

Necrodamus wrote:The alphabets or alphabet soups or monograms...
FBI
CIA
DOH!
:oops:

I just finished my first session with TrueCrypt. The basic functions are pretty easy to use; the higher functions are a little above my head right now, but I doubt I'll learn them since they are way beyond my needs.

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:33 pm

get a cheap drive and just play with TrueCrypt and some false data and you can figure a lot of it out.
Im using an 8GB Corsair Survivor
I have three partitions one public, one password protected/encrypted (it has flase documents) and one nested in the protected area (hidden with real data)

one P1 I have Truecrypt, excel viewers, PDF reader and other tools.
P2 was created first and the false data added
P3 was created next and is almost the same size as P2

When attempting to access the protected partition entering the P2 password gets you into P2, entering the P3 password gets you into P3. Simple huh?

Here is what happens though. The PC will use the available space for writing temp files when you are accessing a given partition. So by making the P3 close to the same size as P2 accessing P2 will cause an overwrite that will corrupt P3. In plain english if anyone trys to crack or force you into entering a password you enter the password for P2 they get data. they think they are successful and as they read any documents they are overwriting your real stuff.

If you are going anywhere that there is a chance of you being kidnapped then make sure and put family photos in the secure area. That may sound crazy but in some countries if you work for a large company it is a reality. I have friends that are not allowed to fly together for this very reason. The companies view is if the plane goes down or if IDed at the airport we can do without one of you, but losing both is not acceptable. They each travel with 3 people, 2 guards and 1 interpreter. They never carry any family photos except those on an encrypted drive.

Cavediver

Post by Cavediver » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:45 pm

Necrodamus wrote:get a cheap drive and just play with TrueCrypt and some false data and you can figure a lot of it out.
I have three partitions one public, one password protected/encrypted (it has flase documents) and one nested in the protected area (hidden with real data)

Are they true partitions, or are they truecrypt "containers"? I didn't think you could create multiple partitions on a USB drive.

The only really sensitive data we'll have are scans of birth certificates, licenses, etc. While I wouldn't mind hiding that info, I don't want to set myself up for accidental corruption.

GlockASP

Post by GlockASP » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Necrodamus wrote:The alphabets or alphabet soups or monograms...
FBI
CIA
DEA
BATFE
NSA
DOE
DOI
FCC
FAA
etc.

ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Deus Vult

GlockASP

Post by GlockASP » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Necrodamus wrote:get a cheap drive and just play with TrueCrypt and some false data and you can figure a lot of it out.

When attempting to access the protected partition entering the P2 password gets you into P2, entering the P3 password gets you into P3. Simple huh?

Here is what happens though. The PC will use the available space for writing temp files when you are accessing a given partition. So by making the P3 close to the same size as P2 accessing P2 will cause an overwrite that will corrupt P3. In plain english if anyone trys to crack or force you into entering a password you enter the password for P2 they get data. they think they are successful and as they read any documents they are overwriting your real stuff.

If you are going anywhere that there is a chance of you being kidnapped then make sure and put family photos in the secure area. That may sound crazy but in some countries if you work for a large company it is a reality. I have friends that are not allowed to fly together for this very reason. The companies view is if the plane goes down or if IDed at the airport we can do without one of you, but losing both is not acceptable. They each travel with 3 people, 2 guards and 1 interpreter. They never carry any family photos except those on an encrypted drive.

Very true, but you will need to play with TC quite a bit to get used to it (I found it easy, but my wife did not). It might be a little more then the average person on the street would want to (or could) learn.

I like the idea, I just think there are some that would have a hard time learning to use the program (like my wife). In fact I think I am going to try that out sometime this week to test it out. Would be a lot cheaper to do then an IK.

On the other hand, the IronKey is almost idiot proof. No encryption program to learn, just a password, that if entered wrong "x" amount of times (i think it is 15 in a row) causes the unit to self destruct (no it does not blow up, or set on fire (wish it did though)). It some how erases the data and destroys the chip inside.

I have not tried it but I bet you could set up TC in side the IK too. I know that double and even triple encryption might be overkill, but if it keeps the bad guys out.

I really like the IK for the simplicity of use. The big problem with them I find is the price, they are a specialized piece of equipment and they want a premium price for it. So far I have not found any thing like it out there (i haven't looked really hard either). I would love to see something smiler come on the market. I might bring the prices down.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Deus Vult

BunkerBuster
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by BunkerBuster » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:07 pm

Very cool. For essential docs, that'd probably cover most, if not all of my important stuff. However, if you want to back up your whole computer, you can do like I'm in the process of doing, go with a mini pelican case and some cards. You can get your whole computer (movies, music, docs, pics) backed up onto a couple of these cards and throw them in your bag in the pelican case until you need it. A pelican will take a ton of abuse too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820134716
http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=0940

or

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=0910
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820134716

FYI - I came to this solution after reading the "Netbook BOB" thread. If you intend on travelling with a computer, this may be a better solution to cut down on weight. The battery from a computer weighs more than all of the cards and case combined.

And if you run with a mini SD setup, you can always run your mini SD's in a blackberry. Blackberry also provides support for excel and windows, so you can open those docs, your music and more. Blackberrys also have WiFi in some cases and not to mention...its a phone.
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil. - Ted Nugent

Return to “Bug Out Gear”