Important Documents and the "ATP 2g Toughdrive"

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Merovech

Important Documents and the "ATP 2g Toughdrive"

Post by Merovech » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:06 am

I was looking for a nice solid USB memory stick to include with my Bug Out Gear for important documents.

Today at the store I cam across this...

...for $14.99 a price which was well worth it.

2g was quite enough space, and allowed me to include a bit more than I originally had envisioned.

One interesting aspect is that the drive comes with its own partition/encryption utility which allowed me to setup the drive in an interesting way, here is what I did:

Partition One: 1.46g (Public access, no password)
Family Pictures, a bit of Software/Freeware that I use a lot, about 100 music files, and some text files... which gives me about 300mb free on this partition.

Partition Two: 420mb (Encrypted, Password protected)
Identity Documents, Scanned Passports, IDs, Birth Certs and SS Cards for every family member.
Other private docs, mostly my own fiction. Giving me about 250mb of free space on this partition.

I need to make a text file of financial info and account numbers to include on the encrypted side of the drive.

The partitioning and encryption + the durability claims of the drive are what sold me on it, you just have to remember to keep a copy of the disc utility program on the drive (and back it up on your PC before you partition) so that you can easily access both partitions from any PC... ie: keep the disc utility program on the public partition side.

Here are some other reviews:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/atp_toughdrive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/a ... uft2bk-se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I highly recommend the drive, as well as keeping digital backups of important documents and family pictures... seems to be pretty rugged according to the reviews.

Can't beat it for $15... it even comes with its own carabiener.
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Dragk913
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, "Dead" Series, etc.

Re: Important Documents and the "ATP 2g Toughdrive"

Post by Dragk913 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:22 am

Dang. I like the encryption part.
Mind if I ask what store you bought it from?
I've been looking for a new USB drive.
Hoppy wrote: ZS. We put body parts in sheep.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:15 pm

How secure is the cap? Can it come off easily? Also, is it waterproof with the cap on? I have one of those brightly colored waterproof match containers for mine. I use a 4GB Cruzer. It has a retractable male usb.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:11 pm

Dragk913 wrote:Dang. I like the encryption part.
Mind if I ask what store you bought it from?
I've been looking for a new USB drive.
I got mine at a BX on a military base, but Wal-Mart ect should have them with no problem.

SevenMag4X4 wrote:How secure is the cap? Can it come off easily? Also, is it waterproof with the cap on? I have one of those brightly colored waterproof match containers for mine. I use a 4GB Cruzer. It has a retractable male usb.
The cap is its weakness, it fits securely but doesn't have any kind of o ring or way to make sure it doesn't get lost. It does fit reasonably tight... read the other reviews, one guy froze one in ice and ran it over with a car and it still worked just fine... the other guy dropped it in a cup of water for an hour then threw it against the wall several times... should work fine for my purposes :)

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Caenus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:23 pm

the other guy dropped it in a cup of water for an hour then threw it against the wall several times...
You should try a slingshot just to be sure! :wink: :lol:
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:26 pm

One of the issues with flash memory though, at least that I've seen is that even though it went through all of those tests and still worked, if you drop it just right you'll still be able to use it but your data can be lost.
ImageImage

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:36 pm

I like the waterproof match case idea. If worse came to worse you could always keister it.

I have a question. What happens to the data on it if it were to come into contact with a high intensity magnet?
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Caenus » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:58 pm

I have a question. What happens to the data on it if it were to come into contact with a high intensity magnet?
I don't know. I have cheapo USB that I could try it on. All usb's should react the same right?

Do you keister a high intensity magnet too? And if so, uh, should I even ask?

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:47 pm

Heh heh. He said keister. I want to know the hypothesis of this magnetsus experiment.
ImageImage

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:51 am

Very interesting... I like the design but if the cap is its weakness that weakness will ruin that keys effectiveness in a SHTF situation in short order.

I still love my Corsair Survivor. It is bullet proof!

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:01 am

liberty45 wrote: I still love my Corsair Survivor. It is bullet proof!
I just checked this out, that's a sweet drive. Gotta look into one of them. Thanks for posting.
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:45 am

Caenus wrote:
I don't know. I have cheapo USB that I could try it on. All usb's should react the same right?

Do you keister a high intensity magnet too? And if so, uh, should I even ask?
Of course not. I mentioned the high intensity magnet because other than some kind of trauma to the drive itself, magnetism would be the only other way I could think of to damage it.

As far as the keistering goes, I mentioned that because of some of the stuff I've heard about people in prison secreting things they don't want found by a cursory search.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Caenus » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:46 am

I was kidding of course. I could not stop laughing when those two comments were in the same post. :lol: :wink:

From what I know before I get magnet experiment complete, there are a few things that could damage a USB.

Water
Heat (I'm in AZ)
dust
humidity
a strong enough magnet
shock/vibration

the strongest magnet I have is a damaged 8" subwoofer magnet. If y'all think that would be strong enough, then I'll put a couple word docs and PDFs on the drive and try to see if I can get any corruption from the magnet. I'll do a couple exposures, then just leave it sitting on the magnet overnight too. After each interval I'll try to open the files as well as save another file.

1. Direct contact ~5 sec
2. Direct contact 1 min
3. Direct contact 5 min
4. Direct contact 10 min
5. Direct contact overnight (12-24 hours)

does that sound like it would work?

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:09 pm

It's worth a shot.

Some people claim that strong magnetic fields fuck up the strips on credit cards and other similar cards. I'm thinking that flash drives would be somewhat more fragile when it comes to data corruption. I could be very wrong though.

Brendan Sullivan

Post by Brendan Sullivan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:16 pm

I do not think I own anything important enough to 'keister' it.

What encryption utility comes on the drive? Are there any freeware ones that are good enough to deter the usual script kiddies from cracking your data?

oconnore

Post by oconnore » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:34 pm

No, flash drives are not significantly magnetically sensitive :D

Here is some more reading if you are interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#NAND_memories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oconnore

Post by oconnore » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:39 pm

Is there any precedent for government agencies respecting scanned passports? I didn't think it worked that way... otherwise after the next major disaster I am simply going to photoshop my passport and become Bill Gates 2.0. :lol:

What do you hope to accomplish by having these scanned images on a flash drive?

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Caenus » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:06 pm

What do you hope to accomplish by having these scanned images on a flash drive
copies of important account numbers, insurance policies, pictures of family that would make it with me through a disaster, etc.

Not necessarily for storing legal documents that cannot be disputed, but for documents that are important. Am I going to pass off the contents and documents on my drive as an original? No. Am I going to use it as a passport? No. Am I going to print a copy of my insurance coverage at my BOL so I can start the claim process after a local disaster? Yup. Print a copy of my insurance cards for the car in case I lose them? Yup.

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:09 pm

You have a valid point. Are scanned documents considered "legal" for example; passports, driver's licenses/ID cards, other forms of ID/Certification? I hadn't even thought of the fraud angle until you mentioned it but now that home pc's and photoshop anything is possible to fake.

Is there some way to make these types of documents legal by having them notarized or officially vetted in some way?

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:55 pm

CLEAR CUT wrote:You have a valid point. Are scanned documents considered "legal" for example; passports, driver's licenses/ID cards, other forms of ID/Certification? I hadn't even thought of the fraud angle until you mentioned it but now that home pc's and photoshop anything is possible to fake.

Is there some way to make these types of documents legal by having them notarized or officially vetted in some way?
I highly doubt it.

HOWEVER, my POV is this... if your passport, marriage license, and social security card burn in a fire... you lose your wallet... and you show up at a US embassy or some military/authority agency demands to see your 'papers' and you dont have any, at least you will have SOMETHING to give them... might not be 'officially legal' but its something.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Caenus » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:16 pm

I see it the same way as Merovich. If you provide the docs, they atleast have the info necessary to verify.

oconnore

Post by oconnore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:04 am

Fair enough.

Another point... Make sure that whatever encryption you choose may be decrypted quickly at a government office that is probably packed with people after a disaster.

I'm not trying to poke holes, I have just never thought about this strategy before. Not trying to be negative :?

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:29 pm

oconnore wrote:Is there any precedent for government agencies respecting scanned passports?
Anecdotally, the last time I flew internationally I dropped my passport getting off the plane when I arrived home in the UK :oops: :roll: Fortunately I had a scanned-and-printed copy of my passport in amongst my travel documents, and on the strength of this (plus whatever info they had in their Big Government Database) the UK Border Agency allowed me into the UK. (I only went as far as the baggage agent's office where I was able to collect my passport once they'd found it.)

So yes, I'd say carrying scanned copies of your important documents could be useful, although printed copies are probably more useful.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:14 pm

If you plan on keistering it, or anything else for that matter, I'd suggest carrying a condom to wrap in it first. Not only will the lube help insertion, and the condom itself help to retain the cap which you don't want coming off at such a time, but you'll avoid some of the attendant risk of infection that one runs when inserting random and presumably unsanitary items into their ass.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”