Low cost GPS to find LAT and LON /w Free service? {BOB}

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gillis

Low cost GPS to find LAT and LON /w Free service? {BOB}

Post by gillis » Thu May 14, 2009 11:01 pm

I'm looking for the cheapest (cost) gps device, be it watch, handheld, etc. to help me simply get my latitude and longitude with a non-subscription based service?

I know the obvious like a protractor to find my latitude(corrected;)) using the north star... but something more practical.

Does anyone know if the "backtrack" has this?

Thanks.
Last edited by gillis on Sat May 16, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Indiana

Re: Low cost GPS to find LAT and LON /w Free service? {BOB}

Post by Indiana » Thu May 14, 2009 11:08 pm

the cheapest would be something like a Garmin geko. No mapping software, no subscription at all. It will tell you exactly where you are and will store waypoints, but shows all that as an arrow on a blank screen

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Fri May 15, 2009 7:18 am

Subscription service? I wasn't aware that anyone was charging a subscription fee for GPS stuff.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

gillis

Post by gillis » Fri May 15, 2009 7:34 am

Squirrley wrote:Subscription service? I wasn't aware that anyone was charging a subscription fee for GPS stuff.
cell phones

thelung187
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

Post by thelung187 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:03 am

Don't quote me on this, but, I believe that the GPS receiver in a cell phone (example: my wife's Blackberry 8900) is *independent* of the cell phone. In other words, even if you don't have an active SIM card/cell phone account, the GPS software should still allow for communication with satellites. I can test this out tonight if you'd like to give you a definitive answer :)
AZMedic wrote:Oh thats not sarcasm at all. We would be truly fucked.
Melpat wrote:That "lacquer coated" ammo causes Christ to curse, causes babies to cry at odd hours, and is responsible for flat beer.
I am AR/9mm convert/pie/red-wire classic-style.

MikeM
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead series (both the originals and the remakes), The Evil Dead series, Zombies Anonymous, Versus, Night of the Comet, DeadAlive, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by MikeM » Fri May 15, 2009 8:12 am

I've had a Geko for years, and I've never really missed all the maps and stuff, but then again I'm an old timer who grew up on paper maps and third hand Boy Scout compasses. Best part about the Geko is that it is a frugal battery user.
-Mike
If I had to guess, I'd say that being eXtreme means you're a pussy but hiding it behind enthusiasm.
-Seanbaby

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri May 15, 2009 2:26 pm

DannySkillZ wrote:I'm looking for the cheapest (cost) gps device, be it watch, handheld, etc. to help me simply get my latitude and longitude with a non-subscription based service?
If price is everything, buy used.

One of my most-used GPSes is a Mitac Mio 168 that cost me under $30 delivered.

Something like this might suit you:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0307647545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

gillis

Post by gillis » Fri May 15, 2009 2:26 pm

thelung187 wrote:Don't quote me on this, but, I believe that the GPS receiver in a cell phone (example: my wife's Blackberry 8900) is *independent* of the cell phone. In other words, even if you don't have an active SIM card/cell phone account, the GPS software should still allow for communication with satellites. I can test this out tonight if you'd like to give you a definitive answer :)
cool. sprint phones are locked so your are forced through a monthly subscription. ; ;

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Fri May 15, 2009 2:43 pm

You could also get yer phone unlocked. Costs 5 pounds here in London.

But, yeah, GPS units are pretty cheap nowadays. Garmin always likes to have a unit under $100.

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Fri May 15, 2009 3:00 pm

I'd go with a secondhand Geko. They're pretty frugal on batteries; phones are always running out when I need 'em most. The Garmins all take AA's, so it's trivial to have a spare set in your pack.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

meatshieldChris
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Evil Dead trilogy

Post by meatshieldChris » Fri May 15, 2009 3:03 pm

also a cellphone will suck more than even the cheapest primary-purpose built gps devices. The antenna is smaller cause it's gotta be jammed in there with the rest of your cell stuff, and they typically have much longer lockup times, less accuracy, slower update frequency, and little if any track logging capability.

You can pick up car GPS's for under $100 easy new, and there's GPS units all over the place used. Picked up a used Garmin GPS12MAP for $100 4 years ago, and you can still find them for $50 or (much) less now. Still works as well as it did the day it was born and it works way better than my girlfriend's blackberry's GPS (except for the up-to-date'edness of the road maps)

gillis

Post by gillis » Fri May 15, 2009 5:51 pm

sheddi wrote:
DannySkillZ wrote:I'm looking for the cheapest (cost) gps device, be it watch, handheld, etc. to help me simply get my latitude and longitude with a non-subscription based service?
If price is everything, buy used.

One of my most-used GPSes is a Mitac Mio 168 that cost me under $30 delivered.

Something like this might suit you:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0307647545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
looking at the features on this one it is almost exactly what I would need. I like how it shows the lat and lon really big. PERFECT

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sat May 16, 2009 7:21 am

Cell phone and car GPSr's are good if you need to drive somewhere that you've never been, but they suck for finding your way in places without roads. For geocaching and hiking and the like, you really need a handheld unit. Handhelds don't require a subscription, either.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

tilt

Post by tilt » Sat May 16, 2009 9:01 am

You could always become a member over at geocaching.com and get on the forums, lots of GPS folks upgrade for the latest bells and whistles and sell the old stuff on the cheap.
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

coyotebc

Post by coyotebc » Sat May 16, 2009 4:26 pm

What is important is where you plan on using the gps.
I have a garmin 38 which I got for christmas back in 1998 or 1999 (can't remember) it is the old 8 parrellel receivers.
It takes a long time to aquire satelite signals and it losses the signal pretty easy in thick cloud cover, rain or treed area.
I have a new garmin 60 Csx and there is absolutely no comparison on how much better it picks up and locks on to satelites.
If you are staying in open areas then any new or used gps will probably work, but if you are going into areas that are forrested then you may want to make sure your gps is no more then a couple of years old and uses the new more sensative antenas and receivers

1EyedDeath
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead 2

Post by 1EyedDeath » Sat May 16, 2009 4:30 pm

A garmin Quest is a good,car and hiking unit..And supposed to be water proof..I havent tryed it though..
Here lies:
Thomas Samuel Henry Timothy Franks
We will see you again one day!

gillis

Post by gillis » Sat May 16, 2009 5:16 pm

tilt wrote:You could always become a member over at geocaching.com and get on the forums, lots of GPS folks upgrade for the latest bells and whistles and sell the old stuff on the cheap.
thanks for this info.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Sat May 16, 2009 5:28 pm

DannySkillZ wrote:I know the obvious like a protractor to find my longitude using the north star.
Just a small correction: You use a protractor and Polaris (north star) to determine latitude, not longitude.
http://www.pbs.org/weta/roughscience/se ... page6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mostly not here anymore.

gillis

Post by gillis » Sat May 16, 2009 11:30 pm

dogbane wrote:
DannySkillZ wrote:I know the obvious like a protractor to find my longitude using the north star.
Just a small correction: You use a protractor and Polaris (north star) to determine latitude, not longitude.
http://www.pbs.org/weta/roughscience/se ... page6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oops thx

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Sun May 17, 2009 4:44 am

And you will only get within 60-100 miles with most protractors (1-2 degrees of accuracy). You will need a more precise instrument to get close enough for reasonable accuracy in terrestrial navigation. You would do better getting some good experience using a sighting compass and map for land navigation.

gillis

Post by gillis » Sun May 17, 2009 6:45 am

roscoe wrote:And you will only get within 60-100 miles with most protractors (1-2 degrees of accuracy). You will need a more precise instrument to get close enough for reasonable accuracy in terrestrial navigation. You would do better getting some good experience using a sighting compass and map for land navigation.
I currently have two sighthing compasses and am good at natvigating, but those require that you know your position on the map to get a good bearing.. In a BOsituation I may me moving so fast I could easily lose "Where I am" on the map. I dont like the newer GPS's that much because I like to see the whole map. Thats why I think a good old sighting compass, dorleme maps atlas, and simple lat and lon device it the absolute best combo for me. .. cus when the batteries run out I can still use the map and compass.

Thanks!

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun May 17, 2009 7:04 am

Towanda wrote:Cell phone and car GPSr's are good if you need to drive somewhere that you've never been, but they suck for finding your way in places without roads. For geocaching and hiking and the like, you really need a handheld unit. Handhelds don't require a subscription, either.
Edited to say I agree on the part about "they suck for finding your way in places without roads"
but I think they suck for finding your way in places WITH roads! so basically they just suck! LOL!

and the WINNER is...

VERIZON NAVIGATOR SUCKS!!!

I tried the Verizon Navigator service. From North Carolina my trip was SW to Georgia. VZ NAV sent me due NORTH to Virginia, west to the western most state line south thru Tennesse into Georgia PAST MY DESTINATION on the west side, over to another highway, turn back north then approached my destination from the east side. I called Verizon and complained but they said it was a legitimate route. Not the best, not the shortest, not the fastest, not the best roads, not the least traffic, not the least detours, cause it had bad roads, detours and traffic constantly. Roads that I have been on for over 20 years were not recognized. Every time the phone switched cell towers it would recalculate the route never improving! I argued until Verizon paid half my gas for the trip, they should have paid more. They said it was a legitimate route because it eventually lead me to my destination. I made the point that I could have boarded a plane at Greensboro NC, fly to Japan, fly back landing at Atlanta, rent a car and drive north and that would get me there too... but I dont recommend it!

gillis

Post by gillis » Sun May 17, 2009 7:29 am

What would be really cool... A tiny solar device that simply gave you lat and lon.... perfect for a bug out. (Why hasen't someone made this yet?)

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sun May 17, 2009 7:44 am

DannySkillZ wrote:What would be really cool... A tiny solar device that simply gave you lat and lon.... perfect for a bug out. (Why hasen't someone made this yet?)

That would be cool! My worries about GPS is that during certain situations the GPS satellites will be jammed, and YES I said WILL be jammed! Why do I believe this? During times of crisis is when enemies will take advantage (have you ever read The Art of War?) and you dont want GPS guided bombs either. GPS flying drones or GPS guided suicide bombers in U Haul rental trucks. (most rental trucks now have GPS or have them available for an extra fee), so the system will go down in times of crisis, it can even be manipulated to throw you off. When the system first went on-line it was only accurate for the military and it wasnt the quality of the recivers it was intentional giving random results within 100 yds of the target when it was capable of 3 yds accuracy. Dont believe me then research it.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”