My bugout Bag; comments welcome

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DaveJohns
Favorite Zombie Movies: C-SPAN!

My bugout Bag; comments welcome

Post by DaveJohns » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:25 am

(EDIT AGAIN: Wow. I should really get some new pics. Oh well)(EDIT Oct 28, 2009: Boy, has this thing evolved. I will get new pics up in a few weeks, but basically everything has changed from what is described below. Nothing like going out and using the kit, to decide you dont like any of it)

This is still a work in progress, but I thought I would post my current BoB setup and get everyones' thoughts. As my work arrangements recently changed (no more driving 35 miles to work each day) my BoB needs have changed as well. Previously it was more of a GHB, and had minimal equipment for any extended stay. Now, if I am heading out the door, it may be a while before I come back, so the bag needed to have a bit more in way of self-sufficiency. Not to say I can head out and survive for months or anything, but at least I have some fishing line...

As mentioned in one of my other threads, the bag. Gander Mountain, seems pretty cool, and somehow has room left over even after packing all this junk

A breakdown of contents:

FOOD and WATER: 4 clif bars, 5 powerbars, 32 oz rice, 16oz peanut butter, and some hard candies. Total just under 9000kCal, enough to keep me going for 3 days. The rice and pb are pretty much the most energy-dense foods that are inexpensive and will pack out ok. I know, I know; everyone will ask where are the MRE's/mountain house meals. Maybe a little later. (all this fits in an 11" x 7" pouch; I could never get 3 MREs in that space)

Oh yea, and a spork.

Also, I am carrying a basic cookset - Small cup, slightly less small pot, lid that can double as a frypan for very small bacon. 1 can of sterno for those times a fire is too pesky. Coffee, tea, cocoa for those comfy moments. Also a water purifying setup with filters, aquapur, and flavor packets. All of it nests inside the main pot. (not pictured: 2L of bottled water and a small camelback)

SHELTER: I am currently shopping for a good bivy bag, for the moment I am "tarping" it. I have a large offbrand tent I use camping, but I would hate lugging that thing around if I had to move fast. So, for now, it is a tarp, my poncho, and a synthetic fill 15 degree bag from Backit. I love the sleeping bag - it packs very small, and is really really warm. (remmeber I live in the South; 15 degrees is VERY cold for us.)

I am also carrying spare socks and undies, thermal underwear, wool cap, fleece gloves, and a microfiber tshirt. In winter months, a heavy coat is always nearby. My summer loadout will obviously be different. As in, lots of bug repellant, and lots of rain gear...

FIRE/MISC: This is all the stuff I have spread around the packs' pockets.
100' paracord (ok, maybe 90'. I use it a lot)
emergency candles and lighter.
several heavyweight kitchen bags
1/2 roll of duct tape
12" zip ties
fire making kit with lint, waterproof matches, lighter.
fishing kit with 100' 20# line, split shot, small and medium hooks, a few corks.
50ft 18ga snare wire.
spare AA batteries in a waterproof case
flashlight. (1 of 3 carried)
prybar
Stanley folding saw with 6 spare blades in the handle.

MORE MISC:
SOG Sealpup knife
flashlight (2 of 3)
Husky multitool
Firesteel
wind-up radio/flashlight thingy.

FIRST AID: This is my IFAK. I have a really big first aid/trauma bag that lives in my truck, and a smaller "oops" kit in my EDC. This is somewhere in between. Enough for me, but only barely. Heavy on cold and otc pain meds, short on a lot of major-trauma stuff.

I have:
1 SAM splint, 36"x4"
1 SOF tourniquet
2 Israeli Bandages
1 15oz pack Celox
2 rolls of 2" kerlix
4 rolls of 4" kerlix (kling, whatever)
2 - 2" ACE bandages
1 - 4" ACE bandage
1/2 roll 2" ducttape
3 rolls 1" durapore tape
2 - triangular bandages
lots of asperin/ibuprophin/pepto/immodium/cold and flu meds/etc
saline for wound irrigation
DEET spray (here comes summer)
antiseptic handwash
3 in 1 antibacterial cream
superglue
Mercuroclear antiseptic/analgesic
midgrade trauma shears

Here is a pic with most everything loaded, but the hatch still open, so to speak. Gives a nice view of how easy it is to get to everything. The sleeping bag is in the bottom, food and misc bags in the middle, ifak at the top.

And finally, Pack closed up, crappy $30 tent in a $20 compression sack strapped to the back. As soon as I can afford it, a bivy bag will replace this, and will be able to ride inside with all the other stuff.

So yes, this can hopefully help me thru any "extended camping trips" I may have to undertake in the future. Of course, this is always being re-thought and re-worked, which is where everyone at ZS comes in: What do you think?
Last edited by DaveJohns on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"It could be that the purpose of my life is simply to serve as a warning to others"

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: My bugout Bag; comments welcome

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:55 am

I like it. Work in a sleeping pad. Also maybe dump the little crow bar.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:57 am

This is a superb and well thought out BOB!

If you are planning on bugging out to the woods (I don't know where you live so bear with me), I'd add:

Compass
Map of local area
Water purifying tablets (2L doesn't go far and boiling to purify is a PITA) + koolaid to flavor it.

Also:
I'd toss in some chocolate + beef jerky to round out your food.
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:59 am

Woods Walker wrote:I like it. Work in a sleeping pad. Also maybe dump the little crow bar.
Don't listen to this heathen. Keep that prybar. You never know, and it isn't that much weight. Though a sleeping pad would be an excellent addition, so WW is off the hook... for now. :)

+ on klenzers additions as well. A well rounded FAK would do you a great service too, if the need arises.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:03 am

Doh, I forgot two obvious ones...

Some CASH!
and...
A deck of cards. Killing time goes a long way to keeping sane.

Woods Walker's suggestion of a sleeping bad is really solid if there is ANY chance you'll be sleeping outside. If you are worried about space, take a normal foam pad and cut it down so it at least fits your torso. It'll make a huge difference.

I'm with Molon Labe on keeping the prybar... UNLESS... (and this is only if you are bugging to the woods) you could swap it for a small hatchet. That would be much more handy for a wilderness bug out.
Last edited by the_klenzer on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

DaveJohns

Post by DaveJohns » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:04 am

the_klenzer wrote:
Compass
Map of local area
Water purifying tablets (2L doesn't go far and boiling to purify is a PITA) + koolaid to flavor it.

Also:

I just realized I have no idea where my compass went. I have a fairly nice one, I THOUGHT it was in the previous bag with the emergency radio. Ooops. As far as a map, I think I am going to have to take a chance with a GPS device, since I will be traveling a LOT this summer, and will have this bag in the truck with me.

I agree on the hatchet, IF, (big IF) I could find one lightweight as well as sturdy. I have a cheap one that weighs way too much, so I went with the handsaw. I would still like to have a camp axe, if I could live with the weight.

Cash (what there is of it) is in my wallet, which I always have with me.

Also, got Aquapure in the mess kit for water.

Thanks for the helpful comments, guys.
Last edited by DaveJohns on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It could be that the purpose of my life is simply to serve as a warning to others"

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:10 am

Molon Labe wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:I like it. Work in a sleeping pad. Also maybe dump the little crow bar.
Don't listen to this heathen. Keep that prybar. You never know, and it isn't that much weight. Though a sleeping pad would be an excellent addition, so WW is off the hook... for now. :) .

It is a knee jerk reaction against crow bars, gas masks and light sticks. I see one and well the rest is history. :D

I like the knife and Ti ? cook pot/mess kit.

Schizm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun Of Course

Post by Schizm » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:19 am

Woods Walker wrote:It is a knee jerk reaction against crow bars, gas masks and light sticks. I see one and well the rest is history. :D
What's with the hate on the gas masks, crow bars and light sticks? Just curios more than anything. For me light sticks are good light sources when there's flammable gas risk (read: status post earthquake and natural gas is ruptured, need to get into and see in the basement), gas masks are awesome air filters (read: nearby volcano erupts, again!), and a crow bar.... crow bar, yeah lose the crowbar. Every situation is different and the gas masks have been put away now that the volcano has been declared non-eruptive.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:22 am

Molon Labe wrote: A well rounded FAK would do you a great service too, if the need arises.
Yes, I saw that you already have one, I was trying to compliment it. Though I would also add a quikclot sponge, if you can afford a couple.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:35 am

Schizm wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:It is a knee jerk reaction against crow bars, gas masks and light sticks. I see one and well the rest is history. :D
What's with the hate on the gas masks, crow bars and light sticks? Just curios more than anything. For me light sticks are good light sources when there's flammable gas risk (read: status post earthquake and natural gas is ruptured, need to get into and see in the basement), gas masks are awesome air filters (read: nearby volcano erupts, again!), and a crow bar.... crow bar, yeah lose the crowbar. Every situation is different and the gas masks have been put away now that the volcano has been declared non-eruptive.
Just one of those things. Got no volcanoes and for gas leaks my industrial Rebel EOS 2 that replace my Aurora in my 72-hour BOB is rated intrinsically safe UL® CL 1 Div 1. I use the 4-mode Rebel EOS for my winter day pack but don't know the rating however not expecting to be in a gas filled basement in the middle of the winter woods or anyplace else for that matter as I would run away. Too much risk for questionable rewards light sticks not withstanding. On the topic of volcanoes I am old enough to remember Mount St. Helens. People used good dust/particle masks and seemed to survive just fine. As for crow bars this is more of an issue with pack weight. After a few hard miles be it road or trail one gets to thinking of items to dump.The things made of steel that are not fixed blade knives tends to get to the top of my list fast. Most of all as a knee jerk reaction I just roll with it. :D

DaveJohns

Post by DaveJohns » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:58 am

I will go tomorrow and weigh the freakin' prybar. It is really not that heavy at all. It IS sturdy enough to use to help split wood, pry open jammed doors, and can be used as a shuriken in the hands of a master :mrgreen:

Molon Labe, good point with the QC. There is a packet of Celox in the zippered compartment.

Keep up the comments! I really appreciate them!

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

goblin
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original day of the dead!

Post by goblin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:18 am

I'm not a member of the "Bug-out" school of prepping(suburban bug-in), but I'm wondering how much ammo weight are you figuring on adding?
"Just kickin' a can down the road to Hell."
"Real zombies CAN"T run!!"

Visit http://www.urbansurvivalstrategies.forumsland.com/

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:10 pm

Looks nice! I've got a sterno in my bag also.

Where did you get your First Aid Bag/Case? I've been looking for something similar for a second IFAK I'm building.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

mtnfolk mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the omega man..

Post by mtnfolk mike » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:17 pm

well done.. that is avery well thought out BOB... i like it..

did you add the wire bail on to your small cook pot?? is that titanium??
>>>>-----LIFE IS A KNIFE----->

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:37 pm

Woods Walker wrote:[ On the topic of volcanoes I am old enough to remember Mount St. Helens.
I was camping on the Olympic peninsula when it errupted with my family I was maybe 14. The main raod out of there was backed up as far as you could see. So my dad went down to the general store on the lake and bought those dust masks and supplies. We waited the ash out there in the National Park. Better have the safety of being in a shelter than stuck in a car gagging on dust and God knows what was to follow next.
We were fortunate enough that the park was very empty and we had it all to ourselves and the ash went east instead of coming down directly on top of us like the radio reports were stating. All I remember was staying there a couple of extra days having the best time.
When we did get home to Spanaway we only recieved a light dusting of ash over the next few days.
Me and my dad went hunting on Mt. Saint Helens I think it was a year after it happened. Close to the slide area was prohibited to access.
It was like what you would think that hell would look like. Everything was covered in the heavy gray ash. Trees that were 3-4 ft in diameter were snapped over like twigs.It was a freaky feeling wondering through what was left of the remaining woods that where scattered around. We came across some small game and several elk but did not take any game as we felt they needed to remain to help build back any numbers. We did have a pack of wolves come to camp that night and had to spend the rest of the night in the camper as opposed out under the stars. Awesome animals, they were in no way intimidated by our fire or us being there. Hunger was more of a factor most likely for them.
Somewhere in the basement we have 5 gallons buckets of the ash and pumice collected from there. I have not been there since then and it is an amazing place if anyone ever gets the chance.
Or even Rainier adventures I foundly remember as well.

Treacle_Man
Favorite Zombie Movies: George A. Ramero Flicks, Dead Alive, Shaun, the 28's

Post by Treacle_Man » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:30 pm

something you may think about to save space: get an old plastic card (like an old gift card, phone card, store club card etc) and wrap your duct tape around that. It is a bit time consuming but its a big space saver. i think I must have half a dozen of these duct tape "cards" in various kits :lol:

*note: this is NOT my original idea and came from a ZS thread a while back
Dave_M wrote:I think some of you guys are over thinking this.
ZombieGranny wrote:Prepping is in order to avoid that "sense of suffering and being afraid".
HKTackDriver wrote:If you walk into a situation thinking your gun will do your talking, you shouldn't be entering the situation. The gun is the absolute dead last resort.

DaveJohns

Post by DaveJohns » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:23 pm

goblin wrote:I'm not a member of the "Bug-out" school of prepping(suburban bug-in), but I'm wondering how much ammo weight are you figuring on adding?
Ammunition would depend on the expected situation. I have a chest rig for ammo and weapons servicing, so I can pack out separately as needed. If I am heading off to the woods, probably a lot of .22lr. If civil unrest, then it will more likely be 7.62x39, as much as I can carry.

Murph wrote:Looks nice! I've got a sterno in my bag also.

Where did you get your First Aid Bag/Case? I've been looking for something similar for a second IFAK I'm building.
It is actually a plain old toiletries bag from Target. I had quit using it a little while back, when I built a much more complete First Aid/Trauma bag, but that bag is too big for this pack. So, I went back to this kit, with just the basic individual-First Aid setup. It works, and it fits. Anything REALLY bad, I am in deep trouble anyway, with or without a major trauma bag.

mtnfolk mike wrote:well done.. that is avery well thought out BOB... i like it..

did you add the wire bail on to your small cook pot?? is that titanium??
Yes, the cookset is Ti. I added the coathanger wire so I could suspend the larger of the two pots. Good catch!

KJ4MVP

My FAK
My BoB
My stuff for sale!

retrospeaks
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead

Post by retrospeaks » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:56 pm

kudos on the bag, i like how you've setup your food so tightly...

in terms of the prybar, it looks small enough to not be a huge hassle, possibly even the size of a eod prytool that so many people on here use. very useful for urban conditions like i am in, but to each his own as i'm assuming woods walker lives in the woods :D
http://romerobrooks.com. Like CNN. Only Deader.

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:07 pm

Mostly, I like it.

The food isn't quite what I expected, but not bad. Good cold weather food. I might add some bullion or ramen packets to it, and use 16 ounces of rice and 16 ounces of couscous. *shrugs* Minor.

To upgrade, remember, dehydrates and wetpacks don't always mean MH and MREs. MH might have debugged the dehydrates and freeze drieds, but you can get pasta/rice/potato/couscous (yes, I know it is a pasta, but it is a little different) packs at any grocery store that just need some water and some simmering. And you can get wet packs of the same kinds of things, and various meats. OK, so these items "only" last a year or two in the pack, rather than 5-20 years, but these are things you'll eat.

>(not pictured: 2L of bottled water and a small camelback)

Glad to see bladder and bottle, but what kind of bottles?

If you are really deep in the south, head net? Stores forever, unlike spray.

Some things I didn't see that I like to have are a silcock key for water supplies. Maps don't die. +1 on a sleeping pad, although in the south I might also add a hammock, but I hate things slithering over me.

I might go with a smaller pry bar, or just take the 90* part off. I edc a very small flat one, about an ounce, just becuase it keeps me from being a retard with a knife.

You can get a very nice, very strong, brown tarp from Home Despot that has a shiney side. Not as good as the heavy duty space blankets, but half the price and a little bigger.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

gameover419

Post by gameover419 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:04 pm

You can get a gerber camp axe it works great
DaveJohns wrote:
the_klenzer wrote:
Compass
Map of local area

Also:

I just realized I have no idea where my compass went. I have a fairly nice one, I THOUGHT it was in the previous bag with the emergency radio. Ooops. As far as a map, I think I am going to have to take a chance with a GPS device, since I will be traveling a LOT this summer, and will have this bag in the truck with me.

I agree on the hatchet, IF, (big IF) I could find one lightweight as well as sturdy. I have a cheap one that weighs way too much, so I went with the handsaw. I would still like to have a camp axe, if I could live with the weight.

Cash (what there is of it) is in my wallet, which I always have with me.

Also, got Aquapure in the mess kit for water.

Thanks for the helpful comments, guys.
Stanfill

Aceman
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, Shock Waves, Night of the Living Dead (original), and Shawn of the Dead - oh heck - I like them all!

Post by Aceman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:11 pm

Bravo! Nice job except for the glaring compass omission!

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Husky Multitool!

Man, I thought i was the only one in the world with one, I had a job to do one time and needed to pick up a spare multitool for it and Ive had the thing since for the past 4-5 years now! I love the lil thing. Ungodly heavy, but I love it :D

Return to “Bug Out Gear”