Sckitzo's BoB (WIP, Pics)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Sckitzo's BoB (WIP, Pics)

Post by Sckitzo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:26 pm

First, I apologize for the shoddy pictures, we managed to loose my nice camera and the cable to the backup (which has the worst preview shots ever) I will get better ones up as the bag grows (and I find my damn camera :x )

Main purpose of this bag is hiking/backpacking the fact that it is also my BOB just means adding a few extras.

Weight: 31.6 pnds with no water
40.4 with water (apprx 3.5L)

The bag is a Kelty Redcloud 5400, grabbed it off craigslist for $75, not the best but pretty comfortable, did a 10mile hike the other day with maybe 30-35 pounds and back was good, shoulders a little sore but knee was killing me.

Now, this bag seems to be missing a lot (sure it is) so give suggestions and I'll consider them if you so wish. Some of you may also think this is a lot of water (3L Bladder and 2 750ml bottles), I live in a desert so even with a filter (which I still need to pick up) I'd rather have it then not. There is a bit of snivel gear in here, but I hate the friggin cold so it stays till it warms up a bit :P

Items I need to add:

Water Filter
Spork
Maybe some better pots to cook in
More choice in food and snacks
Small bottle of mouthwash
Small bottle of Peptmo or similar
Map of AZ (with grid coordinates that I know how to read)
Debating adding a 500ml bag of Sodium Chloride, sure be nice to have but is it worth the weight? As far as legal concerns I would be sticking my self, or Hell Puppi as a last resort type thing.
-Speedloader or two
-Dental Floss

Pocket 1:

This is my basic comfort pouch, contains snacks, the stove to heat stuff up in, ect ect. Going to add some more smaller food items (tuna packets, powerbar or 2)

Contains:
MSR Stove
Fuel Can (Extras are stored in Hell Puppis BoB)
Sunglasses
Lighter (with stuff on it, stole this idea from Asininity's thread)
30pnd Test Fishing Line (wrapped around the lighter and there is enough below the plunger from it getting depressed easily)
2 Fishhooks (taped to the lighter)
Nailclippers
Toothbrush/Paste
Wetwipes
Steelcup
Handsanitizer
Snacks

Pocket 2:

First Aid Pouch: Some basics that might come in handy on a hike or if I have to ditch my main Med Bag.

Sunscreen is in Hell Puppis bag

Contains:
SAM Splint
Izzy
CAT Tourniquet
Ice Pack
Water Purification Tablets
Emergency Blanket

The rest, fits into that tan MOLLE pouch (which is crammed in the pocket)
Tampons
Compressed Gauze
2 ACE Wraps
Kling Wrap
Tape
Safety Pins
Asstd. Pills (Motrin, Tylenol, Excedrin)
Gloves
Cerya Lyte
Rehydration Salts
Asstd. Bandaids
Tweezers
Chapstick

Pocket 3:

Hydration Pouch, looks like a 2.5 or 3L Camelback bag I ripped out of an old one floating around. It fits in there, barely, only thing I am worried about is it springing a leak.

Pocket 4:

The pistol is more of a "holy shit it's a Bear! It's a Mountain Lion!" then my main carry pistol. The bag is kept at home and if I am bugging out for good I have a Vest or LBE that will be holding my ammo along with my Beretta and long rifle of choice.

Contains:
Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum
20rnds of ammo
Belt Holster
550 Cord
Candle Lantern w/sleeve (extra candles are in Hell Puppis bag)
Couple AA batteries
Hatchet/Hammer/Prybar thing. The bar runs the whole length of the handle so I might get some decent leverage out this tool, I put tape on the pointy bits to keep it from cutting the bag.

Pocket 5:

(Sorry for fuzzy pic, but just refused to clear up)

Contains:
Compass
Pen
Paper
Cheapo Flashlight (I have a surefire on my duty gear as well as extra batteries)
AA Batteries
Leatherman
Candle Lantern.. thingy
Matches (got plenty of lighters most likely taking this out)
Duct Tape Card (no idea how much, but a good amount)

Pocket 6:

(Err the Dog is not part of the bag... damn ninja dog >_>)

Contains:
ALPS Mountaineering Slick Rock Sleeping Bag: 20 Degree Synthetic w/Compression Bag
Rain Poncho
Lvl 2 Pants
1 pair of boxers
3 pairs of socks, 1 wool 2 nylonish

Pocket 7:

Main Pocket: Have TONS of room left over, have a skull cap but wore it on last hike so its in the wash.

Contains:
Big Agnes Sunnyside 3 Person Tent (The footprint, stakes and poles are in Hell Puppis Bag)
DCU Floppy Hat
Lvl 1 Sleeper Shirt
2 MRE's (Chili Mac ((nom nom nom)) and Chicken Cavatelli(sp?)
Last edited by Sckitzo on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leadpulaski

Re: Sckitzo's BoB (WIP, Pics)

Post by leadpulaski » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Nice bag, oh and Shoddy pics my ass! Beats the hell out of what I could do.

Quick suggestion, maybe a speedloader for your ammo? and I saw the dental stuff, but got floss?

TC

Post by TC » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Only took a really quick look but you definitely need more than a couple of AA's. Also, no knife???
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:51 pm

@leadpulaski you know I was considering some of those little floss thingies, but maybe a roll would be better, could double as thread for the bag if it rips. Speedloaders, good plan been meaning to buy a couple for ages and never remember to, I'll add em to my list.

@TC Hmm, I suppose I could toss 4 more AA's in there, always handy. The leatherman has a knife for small stuff and Puppi's bag as a nice sized pigsticker in it that I could use for skinning and what not.

Salam9nder

Post by Salam9nder » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:13 pm

Good looking bag - here's my suggestions, if they're not in your partner's BOB:

- Toilet paper (save the WetWipes for "bathing").
- Add Benadryl, Imodium, Crazy Glue and anti-biotic cream to the FAK.
- If your boxers are cotton, change them out for some poly boxer briefs. Then again, if you're in an arid area, maybe the "cotton kills" mantra doesn't apply as much?
- Bandannas
- Keep the matches and add a ferro stick. The common thinking for a fire-starting kit seems to be diversification. Rather than just carrying a bunch of lighters, carry several different methods of starting a fire - one might work better than the other depending on environmental conditions like rain, wind, etc. Also, maybe add some vaseline-soaked cotton balls to the fire starting kit.
- Camp towel
Virginia May 09' MBO weekend - http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=41156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salam9nder's B.O.B. - http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=43856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:43 pm

KELTY ! W0000T!1!

Sorry, but there's only one civy modeled pack that makes me hard, and it's Kelty. Okay, off to critique...

Dude, seriously, where the hell is your fixed blade? No, no, no, it doesn't have to be a 8inch chopper or the world famous Ka-Bar (but you would do well in procuring a good fixed blade of between .25 - .176 inch stock at 6 1/2 inches in length). You know what? If you don't have the funds available to you right now, I can send you one of my extras. I have 3 extra blades (that's 3 that don't have a purpose i.e. edc/ghb/bob/FYRU) that you can choose from, that I'll send you on my dime; if only for my piece of mind. One is an old Schrade X-timer camp knife I bought nearly 6 years ago for fucking around with. Another is an extra Swede Mil. Issue mora clipper in carbon steel. The last one is a Buck Night Hawk (the 5inch blade model) that I just got done rattle canning a desert scheme camo job on (handle and all, it doesn't even look like the same knife anymore :D ).

Fire, fire, fire. I also have a few extra fire steels you can have with the knife. In fact I'll send 2 fire steels. One to pack away and the other to train with (really, I just bought like 8 different models, from some survival site, for a hell'uv'a deal so I won't be losing money.) Pack an extra Bic. No, I don't care that you have one or two, get another. You can almost guarantee that you'll lose atleast one of them before the first week of your Bug Out is done, and the other will run out. Throw in a small box (or pill bottle) of strike anywhere matches too. You definitely have the room for these and they weigh next to nothing.

I'd recommend another 100ft. - 50ft. hank of 550 cord. Just to be safe. You never know if your BOB will turn into an INCH bag.

Other than those, you have the basics pretty well covered (minus extra socks and a decent rifle). Good hunting.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:53 pm

@Salam9nder The boxers are some weird synthetic stuff, think underarmor (but looser) does good in the heat wore em in Iraq.

Everything else sounds good, I'll get on that =D

@ Molon Labe

The fixed blade is in Hell Puppi's bag, maybe I'll steal it back :P though I might pick up a bayonet for an M4, just for shits an giggles.

Appreciate the offer though, recommend me a fire-steel and I'll buy one, feel bad taking em when I'm sure someone else could use em and can't afford em.

Normally have 2 lighters in my pockets since I smoke, but I'll toss a couple more (maybe one in each pocket)

Pick up some more 550 tommorow maybe

As for Rifle, I have my R-700 in .223 R-870 12g or a 10/22. Been trying to find a M4 to buy, but well.... ya I refuse to pay the jacked up prices so looks like I'm SOL for a while, when I do get one, that will be my MBR, and if this turns into a INCH bag, I imagine I'll strap the 700 to the side, she's my baby and feel bad leaving her behind =/

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :D

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:02 am

I'd still advise that each of you carry a fixed blade of decent quality. Even if it's only a Mora. The best FireSteels I've used were of the Light My Fire brand models. I carry the Army Model in my GHB. I bought a huge Ferro rod from some site that I can't remember the name of, but the thing is gorram huge and intended for the PAW. Kinda heavy though and doesn't produce the same amount of sparks (per ratio of size) as the Light My Fire army model.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Cool I'll look into the Light My Fire and a knife for me.

Added some things
TP
50' of 550 Cord
Microfiber Towel
Little bag thing that holds it all together
And, a Riggers belt, mainly going to be worn during the hikes, but my holster is worthless without it.

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:09 am

>knee was killing me.
Even a cheap brace helps if your patella likes to wander. I need to get a spare one (or three) for my gear.

>Lighter
>enough below the plunger from it getting depressed easily)
YEAH!! Someone was listening. *laughs*

>Chapstick
This winter I've become a Carmex convert- it is 95% petroleum jelly to, so it is a good tinder booster. And won't melt if it gets hot.

>Candle Lantern w/sleeve (extra candles are in Hell Puppis bag)
Do you have issues with your heat and the candles?

>Cheapo Flashlight (I have a surefire on my duty gear as well as extra batteries)
Mini-mag or clone- have you done an LED conversion?

>AA Batteries
You already know you need more.

>Matches (got plenty of lighters most likely taking this out)
As it looks like you've got book matches there, I'd agree. Normally, I'd say keep a case or two of shellaced or lacqured stick matches around, but I do cold weather.

And a ferro rod. :P I could just be a pyro.

>(Err the Dog is not part of the bag... damn ninja dog >_>)
Not the puppy who's BoB seems to be the other half of yours?

>2 MRE's (Chili Mac ((nom nom nom)) and Chicken Cavatelli(sp?)[/quote]
Two is good- now toss in one or two dehydrated entrees.

Everyone has already pointed out the lack of a fixed blade.

Some wire, a few zip ties, a couple of safety pins? And a couple of good, large eyed needles that can take that dental floss you know you need.

Insect repellent or a head net? And good work gloves.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:08 am

ironraven wrote:>knee was killing me.
Even a cheap brace helps if your patella likes to wander. I need to get a spare one (or three) for my gear.

Got a couple, good idea packing one, then actually wearing the other.

>Lighter
>enough below the plunger from it getting depressed easily)
YEAH!! Someone was listening. *laughs*

:D

>Chapstick
This winter I've become a Carmex convert- it is 95% petroleum jelly to, so it is a good tinder booster. And won't melt if it gets hot.

Hmm might throw some in there if it's good for tinder

>Candle Lantern w/sleeve (extra candles are in Hell Puppis bag)
Do you have issues with your heat and the candles?

Have used it for real, just tested it out but I'll let you know

>Cheapo Flashlight (I have a surefire on my duty gear as well as extra batteries)
Mini-mag or clone- have you done an LED conversion?

Mini-mag, but no LED. Gotta find my spare surefire so I can toss it in there instead.

>AA Batteries
You already know you need more.
:oops:

>Matches (got plenty of lighters most likely taking this out)
As it looks like you've got book matches there, I'd agree. Normally, I'd say keep a case or two of shellaced or lacqured stick matches around, but I do cold weather.

And a ferro rod. :P I could just be a pyro.

>(Err the Dog is not part of the bag... damn ninja dog >_>)
Not the puppy who's BoB seems to be the other half of yours?

0_o to many damn puppies, nah the Corgi ain't part of the bag, wife (hell puppi) has some of the other stuff

>2 MRE's (Chili Mac ((nom nom nom)) and Chicken Cavatelli(sp?)
Two is good- now toss in one or two dehydrated entrees.

Do need to go shopping, see if I can find anything good

Everyone has already pointed out the lack of a fixed blade.

Just bout a M7 Bayonet with sheath =D

Some wire, a few zip ties, a couple of safety pins? And a couple of good, large eyed needles that can take that dental floss you know you need.

Crap, still need dental floss, but all good suggestion, Ill write em on the list

Insect repellent or a head net? And good work gloves.[/quote]
Got some good gloves that are part of my EDC at work, but I'll try and snag some extras for the bag, ditto for insect repellent.

aybdude42

Post by aybdude42 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:02 pm

Your bladder sure looks dirty... :shock:

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:21 pm

It's a couple years old, but I've washed it 2 or 3 times since putting it in that bag, think it's just finally getting scuffed up =/

Noven

Post by Noven » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:00 am

You gonna do an update brother?

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:16 am

Suppose I should...

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:27 pm

How well does that alps 20 degree bag work?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Sckitzo wrote:Suppose I should...
Thief! That’s my gun. :lol:

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:29 pm

0122358 wrote:How well does that alps 20 degree bag work?
Kept me nice and toasty in below 20, bundled up and sleeping in a poncho tent.
Woods Walker wrote:
Sckitzo wrote:Suppose I should...
Thief! That’s my gun. :lol:

:oops: Damnit you found me!

Great little pistol though ain't it? I think it's the one gun I won't (hopefully ever) sell. Got it from my grandpa, but beyond that it's just...nice.

Frank

Post by Frank » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:30 am

update?
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Return to “Bug Out Gear”