Zebralight H50 Q5 review.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Zebralight H50 Q5 review.

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 am

Zebralight H50 Q5.

Info from Zebralight.

• LED: CREE XLamp XR-E Q5 bin
• Dimension
o Diameter 18.3 mm (3/4”)
o Length 66.5 mm (2 5/8”)
• Battery: One AA size alkaline, 1.5v lithium primary, NiMH rechargeable, or 3.7v 14500 Li-ion rechargeable. Reverse polarity protection.
• Weight: 58g (2oz) with the headband and an alkaline battery
• Performance: Constant ratio output level spread. Fully regulated.
o Low 2.6 lm for 3.5 days
o Medium 13 lm for 19 hr
o High 66 lm for 2 hr 20 min
Light levels are out of the headlamp values. Runtimes performed using a Sanyo 2700 mAh NiMH battery.
• Beam Type: 120 degree flood
• Electrically conductive aluminum body provides inherent EMI/RFI shielding characteristics
• Constructions
o Impact resistant LEXAN polycarbonate lens.
o Aluminum alloy case with durable hard anodized finish.
o Glow in the dark silicone bracket.
o Waterproof.

Operations

The Zebralight H50 Q5 uses a single AA battery and is very UL. The double O ring twisty is more water resistant and most headlamps as there is no real point for water entry. The headlamp runs for a very very long time regulated on one battery. Being regulated the H50 can use standard alkaline, NiMH and lithium AA batteries. The runt time on low seems about the same no matter the chemistry however to get the longer medium and high runtimes NiMH or lithiums are recommended. But has some decent runtimes on cheapo alkaline too.

The output is pure flood with very little throw.

This makes for a great camp/power outage headlamp but there are some limitations if throw is needed. My EOS with 20ish lumens on medium can out throw the H5O with 66 lumens on high. But the flood is better for near work that is often what a headlamp is used for. One thing I like about the H50 beyond cheap batteries is the low setting. 2.6 lumens is not going to blaze your though the dark woods but worked well for my general low light camp use. With the higher settings I could see in all directions at the same time without turning my head due to the great flood. But this is paid for in terms of shorter throw. Makes for a good lantern too

Pros.

1. Nice modes. Low enough low good medium and bright high.
2. Very efficient regulation. Long runtime. Nearly 4 days regulated on low with one AA battery.
3. Solid aluminum construction.
4. Lots of accessories packed along with the headlamp.
5. Tail twisty tends to be more reliable than a switch.
6. Pure flood light.

Cons.

1. Very little throw for such a high lumen headlamp.
2. More expensive than other headlamp options.
3. Lack of clicky switch means two hands are needed to change modes.
4. Like all LEDs there are some variations in tint.
5. I wish they included a non glow in the dark holder.

Conclusions:

I like the H50 within its limitations. Not something I would use for throw but for nearly everything else it works very well. The runtimes, weight, pack size and use of one AA battery combines to make a nice little headlamp. Bright enough to walk on good trails/roads and long enough runtime for extended camp use.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

turan8

Re: Zebralight H50 Q5 review.

Post by turan8 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:26 am

Try to experiment with NiMH eneloops and 14500 Li-Ion rechargables to see how much runtime you could get out of that thing.

I think I would like something like a cross between the Zebralight H50 that runs on a single AA sized batteries and the Coleman XR-E headlamp that has a P60 style OP reflector.
Local AK expert at your beck and call for all PAW consulting services pertaining to Mr. Kalishinakov's marvelous creation.

TFDunit28

Post by TFDunit28 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:51 pm

nice review, ive been eyeing one of these for a while now, was gunna get one a few months ago but then nitecore came out with their piston drive lights and had to get one of those. i think the zebralight might be next. seem like it would come in handy since you can clip it to your hat or shirt pocket if you dont want to use the headband.
"TO BE PREPARED FOR WAR IS THE MOST EFFECTUAL MEANS OF PRESERVING PEACE"
-George Washington

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:10 pm

WW: if you could only have one, would you go with the EOS or the Zebralight?
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Pansy

Post by Pansy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Chef wrote:WW: if you could only have one, would you go with the EOS or the Zebralight?
Good question, I am eagerly awaiting WW's response.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:48 pm

Turan8.

I run it with a Duraloop (rebagged eneloop) and it works great. I use Energizer lithium for cold weather. Never got into the Li-Ion rechargables and don’t plan on it. Just not my thing.

TFDunit28.

I was looking at the AA Nitecore but heard of too many issues with them. People seem to come up will all kinda reasons why the reported problems are ok and tons of fixes for a light that should work right out of the box. Almost a cult like following. Guessing some get good ones and others lemons. But I do like the basic idea behind the light. How has yours worked out?

Chef/Pansy

I like the H50 but if I could only have one it would be the Rebel 4-mode EOS. I normally don’t like 3xAAA lights but this one just works so well. The beam needs to be used in the dark dank woods to be fully appreciated. On high it has nearly the same throw of some higher end flashlights with a perfect balance of flood mixed in. On medium the regulated runtime and brightness is enough to hike all night if need be and never want for more. The low runs for a crazy long 50 hours regulated on any battery type and works good for camp. Just the best 3xAAA light going in my view. No crazy multi LED junk. No piss poor battery holder. O ring for water proofing. But most of all regulated and very efficient circuit for a headlamp. The H50 has many of these pros too but can't do some of the stuff the Rebel EOS can.

TFDunit28

Post by TFDunit28 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:44 pm

i was one of the first to get the AA nitecore D10 , and i have been very happy with it. i was surprised at how many problems were reported about them but i guess i was lucky and got a good one. the variable output is a huge plus. the UI is really nice and simple, no clicking thru modes all the time like my fenix lights. the only con i have for it is that the anodizing wasnt as durable as i was expecting. yet it still is in my #1 edc slot. well for now untill something else comes out. being a flashaholic is expensive.
"TO BE PREPARED FOR WAR IS THE MOST EFFECTUAL MEANS OF PRESERVING PEACE"
-George Washington

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:20 pm

I think that is the issue. If someone get a good one they have a winner. End up with a poor one there is a whole bag of heart break. I am kinda all all done on the new lights for now. The Rebel EOS for 3XAAA headlamp. H50 for 1xAA camp light. E01 for a general backup. S2 for EDC and S1 for my daypack backup all in 1XAAA. L2D Q5 for general flashlight. Guessing a M60L OR LL drop in the G2Z to replace my P60L and maybe a Zebralight with more throw for the daypack if they ever make one. Beyond that I think the perfect headlamp would be a Rebel EOS with 3XAA on a battery pack. But don't ever expect that. The new 130 lumen APEX looks kinda nice to replace my older 60 lumen for night kayak trips but at some point lack of cash and reason need to be factored in. Also the older Apex worked just fine last year.

ogreboy

Post by ogreboy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:29 am

I have a nitecore defender infinity that I bought almost a year ago just after it came out. I have had no problems. I love that light. Best flash light I have ever owned. I wanted something with AA batteries, that lasted a long time and was bright and that was what ended up at the top. I was comparing reviews on http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html you can sort by battery. They don't have every light though, but a good selection. That head lamp set up looks nice though. I was trying to figure out how I could mount my defender on my head.
Don't confuse where you are going, and who you are taking with you. -Sean Kennedy

Return to “Bug Out Gear”