111t's 72hour, 3-season emergency kit

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

111t

111t's 72hour, 3-season emergency kit

Post by 111t » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:23 pm

A few months ago I decided to put together a new 72 hr kit. I built ou my INCH over time and I still think it needs some work. The problem with the INCH is that it was cobbled together over a long period of time without a cohesive overall plan. Also I think the INCH scenario is a really tough one to tackle. So... I left that for another day... The scope of a 72 hour kit is much easier to grasp. If the mandate is only 3 days, and some items would obviously last longer... it would give me added flexibility. The scope of the kit was to be a three season kit, supplemented by another bag if it was to be used in winter. Additionally I wanted to put a totally new kit together, from the ground up. This would save me from having to root through my camping and INCH gear to grab key items, possibly under pressure. I wanted to find a middle ground between super expensive high end high performance gear and cheap cr*p. Since I was willing to take a few months to put the kits together, I decided to take advantage of sales and clearances as a key strategy.

The Pack:

I selected this chick magnet tacticool bag that was on clearance from campmor for $21. The pack has a waist belt and a hydration bladder pocket. :
Now is it the hottest daypack? No. But it's well made by a reputable company 2500cubes for $21. That's the sort of decision I was aiming for with this kit. I probably could have used a lesser pack, remember it only has to last for 3 days. But it would be hard to find a lesser quality pack for less than the money paid. It would also be less likely to attract unwanted attention from law enforcement on account of it looks so goofy. (That's the Douglas Adams SEP field effect. [Sombody Else's Problem])

Lets look inside!
The pack has only 2 compartments In the top I have tools and the FAK

There is a ziplock with the following tools; Cheapo last resort multitool... (I have my Wave on me at all times so this is a just in case last resort sort of thing it was $10 so the bar is set pretty low) A space blanket, a silva polaris (very basic but decent quality compass) a $10 minimag with lithium AA's. The Mora is kept in the main pouch, but I wanted to show it with the tools. Also there is a ferro rod and striker that I got from SG. It came in a three pack for $14... so it was a lot cheaper than a LMF model. The quality is OK. I have it here with the tools, instead of with the pyro stuff for 2 reasons. 1) so all my firemaking stuff is not in one bag, 2) I find that striking it with the file on the multitool is effective.

There is another ziplock with my firestarting items. I live in a rural town, If I had to travel overland to a bug out location or staging area, I might have to move overland. Therefore fire is a good thing to be able to make. The kit has 2 primary butane lighters of the adjustable variety. We all know how (from high school) to convert these into mini blowtorches. As a backup there are 2 bics in a sealed waterproof pack. I find the construction of bics to be a little better than the adjustable lighters, but they're all cheap and light so why not have all of them. They would make good barter items as well. There are also 2 trioxane bars 1 big and 1 little. It would easily light quite a few fires. Hexamine is better, but it's usually packaged in quantities larger than I wanted to carry. This stuff is cheaper. I know about the evap problem some have had with this suff. I have work arounds if that happens though. There is also a Uco candle-lantern candle. It can be used for fire making, light, or heat of a small space (with care).
The candle is in a plastic baggie in case it melts.

The FAK:

The Fak is based on one of those $10 J&J kits that you can get at the pharmacy of any wal-mart. The kit has been modified, added to, subtracted from and repackaged in this waterproof tackle box that i got from colemans mil-surplus. (i think it was 6 of them for $18 or something)
The kit has metal pinned hinges and 4 latch locks.

Things I took out of the kit:
A bunch of band aids... remember 3 days... There are an awful lot of them in one of these kits
Space blanket...put it with the tools
Cold compress...just not enough room
All the little packs of meds except for the immodium
The little neosporin pack.
The tongue depressor...seriously? If i have to I'll use my spork

Things I added:
a small bottle of asprin
a small bottle of ibuprofen
real fabric sports tape
1 roll Kerlix
3 Telfa pads
3-1 antibiotic ointment tube
Moleskin
pack of Halls cough drops
More immodium
Ace Bandage/wrap

The basic kit was $10 The additional stuff was about $15. The box was about $3... so less than $30.

Now on to the Main Compartment...

The bag is fairly well made, but to protect some of the elements from a driving rain, I elected to use a military ruck liner. Now these are not the highest quality of dry bag you can get, I don't know how well i would trust them in an immersion test, but for rain they're ok. Also the liner protects the contents from the hydration bladder and the stove fuel if there is a leak..

The hydration bladder is a 100oz hydrastorm on sale from CTD for 3for $30. That's not a bad deal. It got better since I bought these (3for20) GRRR. But thems' the breaks.

As I said outside the bladder are 2 additional items, The stove fuel and the swiss alpenflage poncho:
The alpenflage poncho is very sturdy and made of a heavyweight vinyl. (It smells like a shower curtain) I agree with anyone who says that a US mil poncho is better...I have one of those assigned to my INCH gear But they cost $30. These were 5 for $14. I dare anyone to find a poncho as good as this for that price... Double dog dare...

Inside the Liner:
Image-
There are clothing items: I went down to the thrift store and picked up some cheap used fleeces for VERY cheap. There is a pair of leather work gloves, a pair of cold weather glove liners that can be made to work with the leather gloves, a winter hat, a pair of spare socks, and a mylar sleeping bag. For three season use the ponch, hat and mylar bag should be a halfway serviceable shelter system.
The mylar bag stores inside the leather gloves for protection.
Cordage items: These are an assortment of low cost nylon strings and cord, additionally a small sewing kit. The cord is not paracord, rather other stuff i picked up from the hardware store. I may add some paracord later.
Sanitation items: There is a role of TP in a heavy duty Ziplock.
The rest of the items live in this pencil case.
The contents include 5 feminine pads(for GF, or bandages, or firestarting) , A rayon camptowel from wal-mart, and a bag of other hygene items that are pretty explanitory:
One note of something that often gets overlooked:
...Nail Clippers!!!

Water and food items:
Now let me say right off that I hear all the people that say "You don't need that stuff for a 72 hour kit!" I know i know, but hey this is me guys. What are the odds that I'm going to put any sort of serious kit together without a way to heat water? I can tell you to 5 decimal places! (0.00000%) Nothing calms me down in a stressfull situation more than a cup of tea or cocoa and a good think. Plus it's a multi-use item... allowing me to boil drinking water. Keeping with the three day mandate... and allowing for some extended use, this is what I put together:
There is a crazylarge enamel mug that i got from campmor for $5. I debated getting a SS space saver cup, but this is cheaper, and only a little less bulky. There is an Emergency essentials polycarb bottle... Probably full of BPA... but for only 3 days...I'll risk it. Inside the Polycarb bottle are 30 MP-1 water tablets if i can manage to find some clear flowing water. If it's questionable I can boil it. There are 24oz of alcohol... which is a liberal amount for 3 days. This allows me to boil drinking water if necessary. As you see below, this cook kit has been tweeked with the Trangia burner/simmer ring, a LMF spork and a pack of pre-soaped sponges ( a three pack incedentally)
The Arno strap on the cook kit has been purposely left long, so as to be a multi use item.

The food pouch: All of the food is in a 2 gal ziplock. I love these things.
There is a 3600 Datrex, which should be enough for the three days. But we want to have flexibility and a little comfort in this kit.
So, there are some hard candies, A tea kit useful for 2-3 uses, Hot cocoa kit, Some fruit leathers, some jerky, and 4 single serve mountain house entrees.

That's about it.

Oh, one more thing... I noticed that when i went to start buying things for these kits that they often came in multi-increments. (3 hydration bladders, 3 firesteels, 6 waterproof boxes...)

So... uh...

I made 3 of them:

I figure one for me, one for GF, and one for whoever shows up first.
Last edited by 111t on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Diesel2
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them with the slow runners 8-)

Re: 111t's 72hour, 3-season emergency kit

Post by Diesel2 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Nice job brother. I read through your post, (enjoyed it!) got to the end and :lol: :lol: Nicely done and whoever shows up first is good to go.
I did up 4 of these kits as Xmas presents and it started in June. Dollar stores, Goodwill, and into my own collections. Yep, gotta get a camera...and a tech-tutor.
Nth90 wrote: "If you look at much of the data posted here things could get bumpy but not eat the household cat bumpy."

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Props on the backup BOBs. I only have one, and it's the "last years model" stuff I have leftover after I upgrade my go-to gear.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Murph

Post by Murph » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:13 pm

How much does one of those bad boys weight?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

Post by thefirebuilds » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:22 pm

what's the HEET for ?
A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:36 pm

What is the estimated total cost ?
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Allen

Post by Allen » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Great Post Paul!

I find it interesting that a Stove collector like Yourself, picked
an Alcohol stove for the BOB.

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

Allen

Post by Allen » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:38 pm

thefirebuilds wrote:what's the HEET for ?
Methanol for the cooking stoves.

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:54 pm

Allen wrote:Great Post Paul!

I find it interesting that a Stove collector like Yourself, picked
an Alcohol stove for the BOB.

Cheers!
(Chuckle) It fits the 3 season-72 hour kit requirement. It was also cheap. I can't stand the esbit stoves. No matter what the fuel they stink. My philosophy for a 72hr kit is basically any option will work. Other good choices for 72 hr kits are butane cartridge stoves which i normally avoid due to my addiction to liquid fuelled campstoves. Basically i'm talking about a jetboil, pocket rocket or similar. They're good and simple and compact. This kit is a stove and mess kit for $20. That's quite a bit cheaper than anything in the butane range anything at all in fact with the exception of the swedish mil kit, which was also in the running. This kit is probably a little bit slower than the butane options. Oh well. I still firmly believe that for cold weather a liquid petroleum stove is the way to go. Also keep in mind that i plan to keep these things untouched in a closet for years on end. I couldn't bear to do that to my Nova!!!
Another point to consider is that if all of my trioxane evaporates on me i can use a small volume of methanol as a firestarer. Don't try that with a butane stove.

As far as the weight and cost... I'll have to get back to you with specific numbers. And keep in mind that the weight will be less the gallon of water the thing is capable of transporting as packed. I keep water stored separately but near the kits for easy rotation.
Last edited by 111t on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All the best!
-Paul

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:56 pm

Excellent looking kit, and a nice, invisible pack. A few things that can stand to be upgraded (spare multi tool, the not-quite-paracord, the sewing kit) but mostly good.

What I didn't see:
-mirror
-whistle
-aluminum foil
-some more ziplocks, and would replace the sliders with real zipper bags. I've never seen a slider seal worth beans.

And I like that for an "only 72 hours" you have a cook pot. 72 hours self contained, but able to go further if you have to. That's my philosophy for BoB.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:04 pm

Murph wrote:How much does one of those bad boys weight?
Ok i weighd one, It's a hair under 20 pounds dry. Figure roughly 8 additional pounds for the gallon of water.
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

Mrearp

Post by Mrearp » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:31 am

Looks good. I like it that everything is in a ziplock bag.
From Michigan? Join the Michigan ZS'er's.

From West Michigan? Join the West Michigan Info Group

My EDC

"Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
jamoni wrote:If Zombie Squad says you have too many weapons and issues, you have too many weapons and issues.

Mrearp

Post by Mrearp » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:32 am

Looks good. I like it that everything is in a ziplock bag.
From Michigan? Join the Michigan ZS'er's.

From West Michigan? Join the West Michigan Info Group

My EDC

"Be polite, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
jamoni wrote:If Zombie Squad says you have too many weapons and issues, you have too many weapons and issues.

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:06 am

Wow, really nice. I like the idea of the extra ones too. This could help with the beginning of mine. Thanks!!
ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

TC

Post by TC » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:41 am

When I first read this I thought "This bag is full of win", then I got to the bottom and saw that it was actually win x3. Really cool set up, well done. Wish my bag was this cool (and that I had three of them!!!).
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

DaveT
Favorite Zombie Movies: Omega Man

Post by DaveT » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:15 pm

I really like it. Everything is very functional, and at the price point you've stuck to, you wouldn't feel bad about having one floating around in a trunk or stashed somewhere...since you have THREE, you can do that. A very smart approach.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:44 pm

Very nice! And I loved the x3 ending.

And whoever says you don't need a way to heat up water for a 72 hour kit is a chump. I try to have a way to heat up water even in a GHB, and lots of times on a 1/2 day hike. Hot drinks are good, and if you have the capacity to purify it (like boiling, hooray for no chemical taste in your water) you can find water pretty much anywhere, depending. And since water is one of the most important things to your survival, right after oxygen and shelter from the elements, I think it's pretty important to be able to get some.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

111t

Post by 111t » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:33 pm

mk_ultra wrote:What is the estimated total cost ?
When I started this project I fully intended to have a precise answer to this question. Over the 2-3 months that it took me to assemble the kits the place i lost track a little was the little trips to wal-mart. I kept all of the online records very carefully. The process went this way, I went online to various outlets. Emergency essentials, SMKW, CTD, SG & Campmor. I had my list of what items i wanted, so i went to each site and filled up the cart with everything each of them had from the list. Then I printed the lists out. I compared like items and eliminated the higher priced ones. Then all i had to do was go back online and delete the expensive items... usually once a week on payday. (most of the sites recognized my IP address and the cart was still full)

I sifted through the reciepts and packing slips and came up with a halfway intelligent number. I estimate that it cost for the kits is between $260 and $270 each at this point. I say 'at this point' because there are a couple of tweeks that they could use starting with a multitool upgrade.
All the best!
-Paul

Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit

mtnfolk mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the omega man..

Post by mtnfolk mike » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:43 pm

great looking kits man... very well thought out... i need to do some more work on our family kits..
who ever shows up first after the SHTF is going to be stoked... :D
>>>>-----LIFE IS A KNIFE----->

prepper7
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD

Post by prepper7 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:09 am

111t wrote:A few months ago I decided to put together a new 72 hr kit. I built ou my INCH over time and I still think it needs some work. <snip>
I really enjoyed reading your post; you have some good ideas.
111t wrote: Oh, one more thing... I noticed that when i went to start buying things for these kits that they often came in multi-increments. (3 hydration bladders, 3 firesteels, 6 waterproof boxes...) So... uh... I made 3 of them:
I figure one for me, one for GF, and one for whoever shows up first.
Nicely done. You, sir, are a gentleman and your generosity inspires me.
Where will YOU Appleseed?
phil_in_cs wrote: Get your rice and beans now, when you don't have to pay for them in blood.
squinty wrote:You wear "chaps" to break a bronco, you wear "assless chaps" because civilization has collapsed and you've gone feral.
Blacksmith wrote:That is an excellent topic for another thread. You should start one about that. Really.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:45 am

Count me in with the same kudos as every one else. Great post, loved the x3 ending.

I think this is ZS Feed material, something you can't normally say for a BOB write up. Well done. 8)
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

GlockASP
Favorite Zombie Movies: OMG, All of them

Post by GlockASP » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:24 am

That was a great post.

I love the idea of the three bags, that is such a good idea (as long as you can afford to do it).
Allen wrote:
thefirebuilds wrote:what's the HEET for ?
Methanol for the cooking stoves.

Cheers!
I never would have thought of that. Dam good idea.
Stuck behind enemy lines in the peoples republik of Massholes!

"Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem"
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
Kinda funny, for a state that takes and regulates your liberty's to such extremes to have this as the state motto.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Sic Vis Pacem, Parabellum
Deus Vult

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Goodness *3!

About the Wet Ones antibacterial wipes... I keep those handy on the outside of the bag, so if I've got dirty hands, I wont have to dig through all the other stuff, getting them messy in the process.
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

bigfoot

Post by bigfoot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:46 pm

Awesome! And three kits... that is even better! Very well thought out and nice that you didn't just go to Wally World and load up on crap.

Big thumbs up. :D

Return to “Bug Out Gear”