My Exhaustive Bug-Out-Gear List (Please Comment)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

autolex
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (remake), 28 Days Later.

Re: My Exhaustive Bug-Out-Gear List (Please Comment)

Post by autolex » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:20 pm

Arch wrote:...Unfortunately, our laptop died recently and two days later I washed a shirt with my back-up information (thumb drive) in the pocket...
what happened to the laptop? did the hard drive fail? or was it something else? I recover lost data for a living.. if you ship me the hard drive/jump drive I wouldn't mind seeing if I can recover it for you.
Resident Computer Nerd/Autocrosser Extraordinaire/Mechanical Engineer

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:44 pm

Squirrley wrote:
AmirMortal wrote:If you've still got that thumb drive you might give it a try, sometimes electronics are ok again after they've dried (presuming they weren't energized at the point they got wet).
And since thumb drives are all solid state and don't have their own power source, they're usually always 100% good-to-go after you've left it on the hot air vent or whatever for a day to dry out.
Try to put the thumb drive in a ziploc bag with soem paper towel material and seal it up and let it sit in the sun somewhere for a few days or more. Most of the time the water will be drawn into the paper towel and the electronic device will be back to normal. Descidant packs work even better if you have them on hand.

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:11 pm

NapTime wrote:I really disagree with AgentBlack on the fishing stuff.
you should of noticed there were two fishing kits listed. one was a small kit, the other was a plano tackle box stuffed with hundreds of rubber lures. good for a fishing trip, not a good use of space/weight for bug-out gear.

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:19 pm

Boris wrote:You forgot the kitchen sink.
I missed this one. I carry the kitchen sink, here's the last bug out test
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

NapTime

Post by NapTime » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:43 am

AgentBlack, you're right. It's very true that more than a dozen lures are a bad use of space/weight for a bug out setup. In the context of his overall list though, it isn't too egregious next to light sticks and instant coffee and cough drops if you ask me. I got so excited that he decided to bring hooks as well as guns that I got a little ahead of myself. Long story short, 1) fishing good, 2) wow thassalotta stuff.

hdandb

Post by hdandb » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:09 pm

jclaudii wrote:hdandb and eugene can you guys post a screenshot or link to your spreadsheet so I can take a look at it? I have a bob and some other stuff, but I have never inventoried it. Do you keep track of food expiration dates and such on there so you can rotate out often?

Thanks.
I am not at that point yet. My list are spread out into different categories such as need to buy and bought but not placed or wish list or in bag. As food goes I have not placed in bag. I buy and eat monthly since I have not exactly confirmed what I will place in the bag which is another list.

I would not know how to do that. I have seen people place theirs on Google but I have no idea how.
Unorthodox wrote:I'm here to generally help you out but I do have the power to make your day shit. If you're nice to me, I'm nice to you. Comply with my simple and straight forward requests and everything goes smoothly...don't and it doesn't go smoothly. Thats it.
That sounds about right, ?

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:46 pm

Here's my two cents.

Clothing; cotton kills. Try to use stuff that is good in multiple seasons and uses, and ditch completely redundant stuff. Synthetics and wool all the way. Use good mid or lightweight wool socks for all-season use, and when it's cold you can just wear two pairs (loosen up your boot lacing). Synthetic underwear is easy to hand wash and dries fast (meaning you can carry less and still stay clean). 50/50 poly-cotton t-shirts are a good compromise between comfort, durability, and wicking; but if you can afford it merino wool excels in all these areas. Same goes for pants; for all season use shoot for nylon-cotton or poly-cotton blend, more durable and better performing. A GOOD fleece jacket, combined with a good wool sweater, and a moisture-resistant hard shell jacket should keep you warm unless it's sub zero; total it's a lightweight system and can be adapted to just about any weather. Carrying a heavy, non-moisture resistant M65 jacket when you have a Goretex ECWCS + Fleece is just silly. Don't forget what AgentBlack mentioned about the gloves. I would go with just Nomex/Mechanix for tactical and general use, then throw on wool liners and leather Flexors/heavy duty gloves for cold weather.

Ditch the chemsticks and get LED-based lightsticks. They might be 2 bucks each, but they're more reliable, versatile, and more light output/burntime. Make absolutely sure you get the LED Maglite. You'll get like 4 times more light and run 3 times longer on a set of batteries. Use Energizer Lithium AA's, they weigh less and run longer.

There's a couple other things I'd mention but the others already got it.
My Pocket Survival Kit Comments appreciated!
Image Technician Class - KD0GHY
M1A SOCOM, .45, PIE!

Arch

Post by Arch » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:41 am

autolex wrote:
Arch wrote:...Unfortunately, our laptop died recently and two days later I washed a shirt with my back-up information (thumb drive) in the pocket...
what happened to the laptop? did the hard drive fail? or was it something else? I recover lost data for a living.. if you ship me the hard drive/jump drive I wouldn't mind seeing if I can recover it for you.
It was my wife's ancient notebook, and we had a computer engineer replace the dead harddrive (he threw the dead one away). The notebook started smoking a few days later so we just trashed it all and ordered a new laptop.

Thanks for the offer - wish I would have known this was possible :(
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Arch

Post by Arch » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:41 am

aa1pr wrote:
Squirrley wrote:
AmirMortal wrote:If you've still got that thumb drive you might give it a try, sometimes electronics are ok again after they've dried (presuming they weren't energized at the point they got wet).
And since thumb drives are all solid state and don't have their own power source, they're usually always 100% good-to-go after you've left it on the hot air vent or whatever for a day to dry out.
Try to put the thumb drive in a ziploc bag with soem paper towel material and seal it up and let it sit in the sun somewhere for a few days or more. Most of the time the water will be drawn into the paper towel and the electronic device will be back to normal. Descidant packs work even better if you have them on hand.
After washing & drying it - I pitched it :oops:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Arch

Post by Arch » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:44 am

SilentVectorX wrote:Here's my two cents.

Clothing; cotton kills. Try to use stuff that is good in multiple seasons and uses, and ditch completely redundant stuff. Synthetics and wool all the way. Use good mid or lightweight wool socks for all-season use, and when it's cold you can just wear two pairs (loosen up your boot lacing). Synthetic underwear is easy to hand wash and dries fast (meaning you can carry less and still stay clean). 50/50 poly-cotton t-shirts are a good compromise between comfort, durability, and wicking; but if you can afford it merino wool excels in all these areas. Same goes for pants; for all season use shoot for nylon-cotton or poly-cotton blend, more durable and better performing. A GOOD fleece jacket, combined with a good wool sweater, and a moisture-resistant hard shell jacket should keep you warm unless it's sub zero; total it's a lightweight system and can be adapted to just about any weather. Carrying a heavy, non-moisture resistant M65 jacket when you have a Goretex ECWCS + Fleece is just silly. Don't forget what AgentBlack mentioned about the gloves. I would go with just Nomex/Mechanix for tactical and general use, then throw on wool liners and leather Flexors/heavy duty gloves for cold weather.

Ditch the chemsticks and get LED-based lightsticks. They might be 2 bucks each, but they're more reliable, versatile, and more light output/burntime. Make absolutely sure you get the LED Maglite. You'll get like 4 times more light and run 3 times longer on a set of batteries. Use Energizer Lithium AA's, they weigh less and run longer.

There's a couple other things I'd mention but the others already got it.
If you read thru the list, nearly everything in the BOB is wool or synthetic. I had the cotton clothes from years ago (my pre-Gortex days), and decided to put them in the "rubbermaid container" so I have an option. I really don't know what else to do with them unless I just give them away.

formerlyZSArch@live.com

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:39 am

I did notice a lot wool or synthetic, but I wasn't sure if that was intentional or not.
My Pocket Survival Kit Comments appreciated!
Image Technician Class - KD0GHY
M1A SOCOM, .45, PIE!

Arch

Post by Arch » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:32 am

SilentVectorX wrote:I did notice a lot wool or synthetic, but I wasn't sure if that was intentional or not.
Absolutely :D ! I spent too much time in cotton freezing my good-bits off after getting sweaty in the winter :(

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Jester79

Post by Jester79 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:35 am

Just a thought, are you planning on bringing your wife with you if/when you have to get out of Dodge? If the answer is yes then you may want to double up on some of your equipment so that she is taken care of. If your wife is like mine, she will complain the whole time I am enhancing our available supplies but will be the first to take it when we are in need. Things like extra clothes, sleeping gear, additional food, and hygiene products. I know that is something that I see a lot of men forget is that women need those hygene products, especially in stressful times. Just in case I had my wife pick up 2 boxes just so that we would be covered. Bottom line is that we need to think about everyone's needs that we plan to take with us. If you have kids, you should also plan on bringing small games to keep them occupied, books to help maintain the positive mental attitude, and remember that their clothes sizes are constantly changing.

Do you have the ability to bring/transport some jerry cans of fuel? Even if you have enough in your tank to get to your destination, when the SHTF, fuel is a commodity that you may want. It would be good in your own vehicle or it is a great bartering item when gas stations are either out of supply or there is no power for the pumps.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Arch

Post by Arch » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:53 am

Jester79 wrote:Just a thought, are you planning on bringing your wife with you if/when you have to get out of Dodge? If the answer is yes then you may want to double up on some of your equipment so that she is taken care of. If your wife is like mine, she will complain the whole time I am enhancing our available supplies but will be the first to take it when we are in need. Things like extra clothes, sleeping gear, additional food, and hygiene products. I know that is something that I see a lot of men forget is that women need those hygene products, especially in stressful times. Just in case I had my wife pick up 2 boxes just so that we would be covered. Bottom line is that we need to think about everyone's needs that we plan to take with us. If you have kids, you should also plan on bringing small games to keep them occupied, books to help maintain the positive mental attitude, and remember that their clothes sizes are constantly changing.

Do you have the ability to bring/transport some jerry cans of fuel? Even if you have enough in your tank to get to your destination, when the SHTF, fuel is a commodity that you may want. It would be good in your own vehicle or it is a great bartering item when gas stations are either out of supply or there is no power for the pumps.
My family's "Ideal List" is similar to mine, but reduced in weight. I've not posted it, because it would be TLTR.

We have two 5gal gas cans stored by the vehicle & a Hitch Haul.

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Jester79

Post by Jester79 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:57 pm

Arch wrote:
Jester79 wrote:Just a thought, are you planning on bringing your wife with you if/when you have to get out of Dodge? If the answer is yes then you may want to double up on some of your equipment so that she is taken care of. If your wife is like mine, she will complain the whole time I am enhancing our available supplies but will be the first to take it when we are in need. Things like extra clothes, sleeping gear, additional food, and hygiene products. I know that is something that I see a lot of men forget is that women need those hygene products, especially in stressful times. Just in case I had my wife pick up 2 boxes just so that we would be covered. Bottom line is that we need to think about everyone's needs that we plan to take with us. If you have kids, you should also plan on bringing small games to keep them occupied, books to help maintain the positive mental attitude, and remember that their clothes sizes are constantly changing.

My family's "Ideal List" is similar to mine, but reduced in weight. I've not posted it, because it would be TLTR.

We have two 5gal gas cans stored by the vehicle & a Hitch Haul.
Well I guess you got everything covered. Good Job
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Return to “Bug Out Gear”