Camelbak HAWG Max Gear as a GHB

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

velocityresearch

Camelbak HAWG Max Gear as a GHB

Post by velocityresearch » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:09 pm

I've gotten a lot of great ideas from this forum and wanted to share what I have started putting together. I wanted to first build out a GHB. I work 20 miles from my home which encompasses both suburban and wild (wild for Ohio) areas to traverse. There is plenty of water in creeks and ponds/lakes (that will need filtered/treated). I would obviously plan on driving home if at all possible (4WD Offroad Nissan Xterra), but if the need arises...

EDC Kit

* G19 with extra mag
* sturdy folding knife (Emerson Commander)
* cell phone
* photon micro light
* Suunto compass watch

I usually also have my Surefire G2, and Leatherman Surge within hands reach along with 2 additional mags for the G19.

Once I had an idea of how much I would be carrying, I selected the Camelbak HAWG Max Gear Hydration pack. This is the military version of the commercial HAWG. It has 1100 cu. in. and a 3 liter hydration bladder. I have attached my knife (RAT RC-4) and multi-tool (leatherman surge) to the one side and my trauma FAK to the other side.

Fire:

I learned 3 things long ago when camping: 1) bic lighters have a habit of getting the thumb release pressed down and discharging all of their butane and then become pretty colored pieces of plastic, 2) they do this at very inopportune times which leads to 3) you need redundancy for starting a fire... I have had great luck with using the Delta butane lighter when camping. It has a cover which prevents the thumb release from getting pressed and it is also waterproof. The clear butane window on the side lets you see how much fluid you have left. I also am a big fan of Swedish fire steel. Nothing to break, they are my backup. I keep some vaseline cotton balls in a waterproof match case as a fire starter, you can also squirt some hand sanitizer or use an antibacterial wipe (or even some Fritos, that's another story).

* fire starter - cotton balls coated with Vaseline in waterproof match case
* Windmill windproof Delta lighter (waterproof closure also)
* Swedish firesteel
* Pelican 1040 case (waterproof)
* 24 hour reusable emergency candle (puts off a fair amount of heat in an enclosed space)

Water

I use a 0.75 liter Camelbak bottle coupled with a 3L hydration bladder in my Camelbak to carry water. I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro (have used for 2 years without problems) if I need to filter more water. I also carry Micropur (for 10L of water) and potable aqua just to use in any are where septic systems might contaminate the water with viruses. I can also boil water with my campstove below if need be.

Shelter

I always trial something before I use it in harms way, so the foil emergency blankets and bivy shelters are to flimsy to be of use to me. I use a sportsman space blanket that I found at Cabelas years ago. It is olive drab on one side and heat reflective foil on the other and is like a medium thickness tarp in weight (4.5 x 7 '). I carry 100' of paracord, tent stakes and 2 bungee cords to put up the space blanket as a bivy tent. Not pictured is a wool blanket also used. A polypro hat, extra gloves, change of socks are also in the bag. In the truck is a rain jacket that fits over my winter coat and a shemagh serves as a scarf. $10 quarters (for vending if possible) and $20 in singles is also in the bag.

Food/Hygiene

Since you can technically go 3 weeks without food I have minimal food for my GHB. If I am traveling in the cold, I want food for energy so I carry 6 cliff bars, 6 packets of hot chocolate and 1 mountain house meal. Separate bags for hand hygiene and camp wipes.

I also carry a MSR wisperlite international that has served me well for 5 years. Burns any kind of fuel, but I carry white gas.

Tools

I have 2 flashlights (with extra batteries), multitool (surge) with additional bits and a fixed blade knife (RAT Cutlery RC-4). Not pictured is my suunto m2 compass in addition to my compass watch.

FAK

* Izzy emergency bandage
* QuikClot ACS
* Kerlix rolls
* compression tape
* 3M steri-strips (for wound closure)
(The above contents are kept in the external trauma bag)

Separate kit is the Adventure Medical Ultralight kit (0.9 with waterproof bags)

* 4..... Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2
* 2..... Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
* 1..... Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps
* 6..... Diamode (Loperamide HCI 2 mg), Pkg./1
* 1..... Duct Tape, 2" x 100"
* 3..... Safety Pins

Wound Care / Burn / Blister

* 1..... Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"
* 2..... Moleskin, 4" x 7"
* 3..... Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 3" x 3", Pkg./2
* 2..... Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
* 1..... Syringe, Irrigation, 10 cc, 18 Gauge Tip
* 2..... Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"
* 1..... Wound Closure Strips, 1/4" x 4", Pkg./10
* 1..... Bandage, Conforming Gauze, Non-Sterile, 3"
* 1..... Tincture of Benzoin Topical Adhesive, Vial
* 6..... After Cuts & Scrapes® Wipe
* 2..... Bandage, Stockinette Tubular, 1" x 4"
* 1..... Tape, 1" x 10 Yards
* 3..... Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 1/32 oz
* 1..... Bandage, Elastic, Co-hesive, Self Adhering, 2"
* 5..... Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
* 3..... Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
* 1..... Cotton Tip Applicator, Pkg./2
* 1..... Gloves, Nitrile (Pair)

- I've added a spenco blister care kit in addition as well as AM's Dental Medic

Other

* 2..... Aloksak™ Waterproof Bag, 6" x 9"

I have hiked around on weekends with this kit and it carries well. I can totally see gear creep happening ... geeze, I need to add this piece of equipment and hey I forgot that piece ... It is very difficult to resist this terrible malady ;) That is for the BOB. Comments appreciated.
Last edited by velocityresearch on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Re: Camelbak HAWG Max Gear as a GHB

Post by Chef » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:53 pm

Pix don't work for me. :( But it sounds like a decent setup. I'd really like to get my hands on an OD HAWG.
bic lighters have a habit of getting the thumb release pressed down and discharging all of their butane and then become pretty colored pieces of plastic
Seems a lot of folks on this forum have some method to prevent this, and I suppose it is theoretically possible to accidentally drain a Bic and it could be a big problem. However, I've been a devoted Bic user for about eighteen years, pretty much daily use for all sorts of purposes in all sorts of circumstances and stored and carried in all sorts of ways. I've never had this happen. Nor have I ever heard of it happening to anyone I know in real-life, many of whom are also heavy-duty Bicsters.

Has this ever actually happened to anyone out there, or is it just a folkloric conjectural possibility that's somehow become conventional wisdom?
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Aikidoka

Post by Aikidoka » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm

I cant see the pics either. Id really like to see your set up.
"Zombies. Like Us, But More Dead"

WESBC

Post by WESBC » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:39 pm

Chef wrote: I'd really like to get my hands on an OD HAWG.

I guess I'm considered lucky to own one. I bought it for $30 new from a friend a couple years back, still after they discontinued it. I liked so much that I bought a black one, I still wish they made a khaki/tan/CB color though.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Chef » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:30 pm

I guess I'm considered lucky to own one.
I just saw the pictures of your FJ. You're lucky, period. 8)

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:43 pm

I've used a HAWG almost daily for a few years now. I added a utility pouch from Emdom and a canteen pouch from CTD. It is very rugged and still works as if it were new. It has worked out very well for a lot of uses. It is too small for a to be a proper BOB IMO and you can't really attach a sleeping bag to it. However I think it is a great choice for a GHB depending on how much you want to carry. The make great secondary packs or car/truck bags. Good choice.

Chef: I have had bic lighters go flat in my pocket before. More than once. Too much stuff in the pockets I guess. I have had them go flat in my pack as well. I now pack 3 small ones. I have tied off the button with para chord that I have stripped the insides from. I do this when they are new so I know that they are also full. Actually I keep many stashed around but only 3 that are tied off. Kind of like my chap stick, stashed everywhere. :) When it comes to bic lighters, I guess if it is a problem then it's a problem. If not, well....

I keep a large new bic with my mess kit. I like the ones with the adjustable flame and the clear body. I keep another one in my riding jacket.

DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Chef » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:43 pm

Thanks for the confirmation, DK. I'll prawbly just squirrel away a couple of extras.

Arch

Post by Arch » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:43 pm

Setup looks nice.

I would add the following navigational tools (you have two compasses and I might have missed these items):

1) US Geological Survey Topo Maps of your AO.
2) Road Maps.
3) "Rite In Rain" & Writing Utensil.
4) Water Repellent Map Case (with clear viewing pane) & Grease Pencil.

I would add the following H20 products:

1) Energy Drink Mixes (for energy :D and because boiled water tastes flat and purfication tablets make water barely palletable - in the event that your Hiker is damaged / lost / clogged, etc).
2) Pre-Screens - I carry coffee filters to pre-screen water going thru my pump filters. This prolongs the life of the filter, and they can be used for emergency tinder if need be.

I would add the following miscellaneous products:

1) Duct Tape on Business Card - hey, what can't you fix with some Wisconsin Chrome?
2) Zip Ties - Don't take up much space, and be used for a host of reasons.
3) KNIFE SHARPENER - a dull knife is an unhappy knife.
4) Plastic Spoon & Fork - use them with the MH meal and them toss them.
5) Hand Sanitizer - I'm a germ-a-phobic.

I apologize in advance if you listed these :oops: .
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

bigfoot

Post by bigfoot » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Awesome setup. Looks like you have all the bases covered. :D

poesson
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Dawn of The Dead, Day Of The Dead, I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Post by poesson » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:04 pm

Dude, I experienced a little Deja Vu when I saw your pictures. I have the HAWG Max Gear bag, Glock 19, Surefire, and the same IWB holster as well. Freaky!!

It is interesting to see what other people's thought are in regard to a GHB. I consider it to be completely different than a Bug-Out Bag. I don't worry about food, hygeine products, clothes, etc. I am considering this bag to be at most an 18-24 hour bag. I'll have water and maybe a power bar or two, but that's it. All of the other space is dedicated to tools and gear that will get me home to the rest of my gear. If I'm going to be more than fifteen miles away (which can be covered in 24 hours), then I'll have the BOB with me.

But, my GHB bag has things like:

Water
Glock 19 and Kramer IWB II Holster
Powerful flashlight
ASP Baton
Bolt Cutters
Stanley FUBAR
Oakley Goggles
200 rounds 9mm +P+ ammo
three extra, loaded magazines
Glass Punch
Pipe Wrench
3 Mil-Spec Smoke canisters
Modified Eddie White Model XIII Knife
Seat Belt Cutter
Evacu 8 hood

And other such gear... There's nothing wrong with the stuff you mentioned. I just thought it was interesting to see the differences in everyone's perspectives.
Take it easy,

Garrett
http://www.woodsmonkey.com

streetpig1690

Post by streetpig1690 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:37 am

I like the HAWG. Unfortunately mine has a busted zipper. I have to find out if Camelback will fix it. I really don't feel like buying another.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”