Goibhniu's EDC/BOB/FAK Updated

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

goibhniu
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Goibhniu's EDC/BOB/FAK Updated

Post by goibhniu » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:42 pm

EDIT: I have reorganized my gear list and made it a bit more intelligible. The NEW list is at the bottom of the page.

TIA,

Goibhniu
Last edited by goibhniu on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:47 am, edited 13 times in total.
"An uair a théid an gobhainn air bhathal 'se is feàrr a bhi réidh ris."

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

Gunny

Re: Goibhniu's EDC/BOB/FAK

Post by Gunny » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:15 pm

Additions:

Cold weather gear
Actual calories. You've got a total of about 3000-4000 calories in your pack. Pick up some Mainstay or Datrex bars.
Paracord
Another thermal blanket
More meds
Saw/hatchet of some sort.

That'll get you started.

BobtheBreaker
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:52 pm

I see a lot of stuff in your kit, and in this sort of out of context presentation style im left scratching my head wondering why you have them. Ill highlight what I'm talking.

3 Contractor Sharpies
2 0.9MM mechanical pencils
2 0.9MM lead refills
4 0.5MM gel pens

I know that writing utensils are relatively small/lightweight and you can literally mash them into every little gap in a pack, but it looks like you're prepping to write a small novel. I would take everything down to two, and ditch the refills.

Sight Level
String Level
Torpedo Level
16' & 100' tape measures

Buh?
What are you leveling or measuring?

Solar Calculator
Unless you have some devious plan for the solar cell, you already have a calculator between your ears.

4 single serve tuna pouches
1 freeze dried scrambled eggs

1. I dont live in AZ but I do live in semi arid environment; hot tuna sucks, reeks horribly and draws scavengers.
2. If you live in a desert environment, and your already confined to what you can carry, foods that require water reconstitution seem like a poor use of your aquas resources.

EMT Shears
5 1/2 bandage shears
3 1/2 bandage shears
5 1/2 striaght bandage shears

Remove two.
Consider adding rehydration salts and...a thermometer of some kind.
.22LR/.357/Cheese Cake/SAK/Grey Wire
If you can't laugh at yourself, you're in trouble.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Post by goibhniu » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:23 pm

Gunny wrote: Cold weather gear
Actual calories. You've got a total of about 3000-4000 calories in your pack. Pick up some Mainstay or Datrex bars.
Paracord
Another thermal blanket
More meds
Saw/hatchet of some sort.
Gunny,
Cold weather gear here is mostly just a nice jacket and a warm sleeping bag, gloves if you have to have nimble finger movement. We rarely see sub 20F (less than 10 days a year). More meds are always needed. Not sure of the efficacy of a hatchet versus a cactus, most of the tree like objects around here can be cut down with a swift yank on their base or with a multitool saw.
BobtheBreaker wrote:I see a lot of stuff in your kit, and in this sort of out of context presentation style im left scratching my head wondering why you have them. Ill highlight what I'm talking.

3 Contractor Sharpies
2 0.9MM lead refills
4 0.5MM gel pens

I know that writing utensils are relatively small/lightweight and you can literally mash them into every little gap in a pack, but it looks like you're prepping to write a small novel. I would take everything down to two, and ditch the refills.

I also attend uni seeking a mech eng degree, so writing implements are a natural part of the day. If I can get the instructors to go all digital I would be set ;) The HP tablet I carry is most likely way out of line for the average BOB, but a requirement for school.
BobtheBreaker wrote: Sight Level
String Level
Torpedo Level
16' & 100' tape measures

Buh?
What are you leveling or measuring?
Engineering student and working technician so I do odd repairs and machining. I left out things like my 6" rule, calipers, loupe, etc.
BobtheBreaker wrote: Solar Calculator
Unless you have some devious plan for the solar cell, you already have a calculator between your ears.
I can't store the whole trig table book in my head and the calculator is much much smaller than the associated reference manual.
BobtheBreaker wrote: 4 single serve tuna pouches

1. I dont live in AZ but I do live in semi arid environment; hot tuna sucks, reeks horribly and draws scavengers.
2. If you live in a desert environment, and your already confined to what you can carry, foods that require water reconstitution seem like a poor use of your aquas resources.
Thus far I have not had a problem with heating of my pack, and with cooler temperatures coming even less so I would think. As far as the dehydrated/freeze dried goods, one packet of scrambled eggs for morale is my one bad decision. I have decided that freeze-dried/dehydrated foods are a big no go here in the desert.
BobtheBreaker wrote: EMT Shears
5 1/2 bandage shears
3 1/2 bandage shears
5 1/2 striaght bandage shears

Remove two.
Consider adding rehydration salts and...a thermometer of some kind.
Ok, will move two pair of shears to other kits. Yes, electrolytes and rehydration salts are on the list as well. I am trying to find a good not glass, no batteries thermometer.

Thank you both for your astute and needed critiques.

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:48 am

I was gonna say you seriously need to reconsider what you're going to be needing in a bug out scenario, until I looked at the OP again and saw this was also your EDC.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Post by goibhniu » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:07 am

Squirrley wrote:I was gonna say you seriously need to reconsider what you're going to be needing in a bug out scenario, until I looked at the OP again and saw this was also your EDC.
I am taking full advantage of not looking too bizarre by carrying a large pack as a uni student. I just happen to have to carry some extra tools that could be ditched if weight became an issue on my way out of dodge. I just wish water was not 1Kg/L that is my biggest and most important issue. Living in Arizona you learn not to associate water with words like: Lake, River, Bridge, Creek, Stream, and Falls. The six liter I can carry @ 13.2Lbs is barely a good summers day worth. I am considering sewing up two more external water carriers to add another 13.2Lbs of water to give me 48 hours of water total. Any suggestions you have as additions to my pack?

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:57 am

Wait, this is your EDC bag? As in, this bag is always on you?

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:04 am

Being a gearwhore, I would suggest more blades and lights. Or an upgrade, anyway. LED tech has exploded in the last few years. And with blades, always follow the rule 'two is one, and one is none'. (You may not apply the transitive property to that).

I like to have some P38's around, as they work great as strikers and scrapers on firesteels and magnesium bar firestarters.

So, my recommendations:
-TWO firesteels. Mag bar or Swedish type. Practice with them.
-CREE-based LED light, running on AA's for easy battery scavenging.
-A spare locking or fixed blade. Something you can really abuse and work with. CRKT or Gerber are a good starting point. It doesn't need to be a rambo knife.
-P38's just because.
-A Aquamira Frontier filter straw. You might have to make use of water that's just plain dirty. If you dont want to waste room on a full sized filter, the Frontier is a great compromise.
-Aluminum foil. If I could only take two things with me to survive on, it would be foil and a knife.

That pack looks like a camelbak BFM. If it is, you should know that it's already setup to have two Thermobak 3L attached to it externally. Besides that, you can put 3 3L bladders inside it, not just the 2L and 3L you have now. I have a BFM in foliage green as well. :D
My Pocket Survival Kit Comments appreciated!
Image Technician Class - KD0GHY
M1A SOCOM, .45, PIE!

BobtheBreaker
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:50 am

I dont know if im the only one thinking this...

But I think maybe youre trying to juggle too many tasks by trying to make this an EDC and a BOB. The pack itself is definately capable volume wise, but I think youre just asking too much of your gear/person. Maybe consider trimming out the BOB aspect and roll with a EDC/GHB and than just load all your BOB gear in a cheapo duffel in your car/home. And if 'that time' should come you can literally just upend all the school stuff, load out the BOB gear and roll-90 second drill style. :)

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Post by goibhniu » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:05 am

Gunny wrote:Wait, this is your EDC bag? As in, this bag is always on you?
Yes Gunny, at most it is <25' away from me. I work near 3 prisons and the local AFB, so if SHTF I am probably right in the middle of it.
SilentVectorX wrote:That pack looks like a camelbak BFM. If it is, you should know that it's already setup to have two Thermobak 3L attached to it externally. Besides that, you can put 3 3L bladders inside it, not just the 2L and 3L you have now. I have a BFM in foliage green as well. :D
This is my bag. Not as cool as the BFM but it suffices. As far as blades go, I keep a victorinox folder and a hand made sgian dubh on me. The P38s are on my keychain and stuffed into a pocket on my LBV.
BobtheBreaker wrote:But I think maybe youre trying to juggle too many tasks by trying to make this an EDC and a BOB. The pack itself is definately capable volume wise, but I think youre just asking too much of your gear/person. Maybe consider trimming out the BOB aspect and roll with a EDC/GHB and than just load all your BOB gear in a cheapo duffel in your car/home. And if 'that time' should come you can literally just upend all the school stuff, load out the BOB gear and roll-90 second drill style. :)
I have been lumping this bag for several months and have been slowly adding gear and getting used to the weight. I walk ~5 miles a day with this thing attached to my back. I do have additional gear in my truck that gets added on if I can get to it. Same thing goes for getting home. I basically have the CCW capabilities of a citizen of kah-lee-fornia between work and school. So if SHTF my best bet is E&E to my residence or other meet up site. Getting myself and the wife HAM licenses next month to add a second layer of comms to the mix, and yes the radio(s) will be added to the pack.

Thank You,

Goibhniu

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:02 pm

Anyone remember how big my GHB/EDC was? This isn't to far off of mine, and mine goes everywhere with me. I like the idea of the OP's GHB. Although I would also add some Mainstay bars, like gunny recommended. Even one would do. I would also suggest a good fixed blade, but being a Uni-student and the whole zero tolerance that's so rampant in our colleges...

Oh yeah, I would also follow SV's advice and double up on the small "essentials" (i.e. firemaking tools= firesteel, lighters, folding knife)
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

ImfromtheGovt

Post by ImfromtheGovt » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:14 pm

I think its a bit funny & ironic that I bought the same bag... but in Coyote Brown...

I live in South Florida (tropical) and got desert colors... you live in the desert and got "tropical" (OD) colors... :lol:

Probably, like me, you figured a military looking bag in the "wrong" colors for your area would just look like a student / outdoor person, instead of looking like a paramilitary... and would help you blend in better in the 'real world' where you actually have to interact / deal with people on a daily basis...

or maybe you just like green?

Either way, I am liking the pack. I don't expect much from it (in comparison to a 'real' one that costs 3-5X as much) but it seems durable enough.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves"

-Ronald Regan

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Post by goibhniu » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:30 pm

Molon Labe wrote:Anyone remember how big my GHB/EDC was? This isn't to far off of mine, and mine goes everywhere with me. I like the idea of the OP's GHB. Although I would also add some Mainstay bars, like gunny recommended. Even one would do. I would also suggest a good fixed blade, but being a Uni-student and the whole zero tolerance that's so rampant in our colleges...

Oh yeah, I would also follow SV's advice and double up on the small "essentials" (i.e. firemaking tools= firesteel, lighters, folding knife)
Oh yes, adding several items to this weekends shopping list. The pointy/splody/projectile items are kinda a sticky issue. I am seriously debating getting my CCW and requesting a carry permit for the school perhaps using the DC ruling as leverage ( yes, I am a dreamer). I am considering the Datrex bars tho as I am not a big coconut fan. I am working on getting a couple of good firesteels.

ImfromtheGovt wrote:I think its a bit funny & ironic that I bought the same bag... but in Coyote Brown...

I live in South Florida (tropical) and got desert colors... you live in the desert and got "tropical" (OD) colors... :lol:

Probably, like me, you figured a military looking bag in the "wrong" colors for your area would just look like a student / outdoor person, instead of looking like a paramilitary... and would help you blend in better in the 'real world' where you actually have to interact / deal with people on a daily basis...

or maybe you just like green?

Either way, I am liking the pack. I don't expect much from it (in comparison to a 'real' one that costs 3-5X as much) but it seems durable enough.
Tucson is overrun with zoomies. As long as I am not running around in ACU's and ballistic armor, there is little chance of standing out from the crowd. The OD green is half year appropriate here. I am sewing up a multicam cover for the bag that will be carried vacuum sealed in a small pouch on the bag. Now, I have had this thing for 3+ years and aside from a little cosmetic damage the thing is thus far been a lovely bag. I am considering trying to strap 2 dromedary bags to the outside for total of like 48 hours worth of water ;)

Thank you all for the comments, please keep them coming.

Goibhniu

P.S. I am impressed I have thus far escaped the mention of needing Kerlix..........
Last edited by goibhniu on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Post by goibhniu » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:59 pm

Just to address the size/weight of my EDC/BOB:

To paraphrase a police firearms instructor discussing the Castle Doctrine and justifiable homicide:
"The guy back there better hope they come through his door carrying LAWS rockets" as he is pointing to me......

I did not pick this bag up load it with gear and start humping it everyday. I have gradually added gear to it and become adjusted to the weight. I try not to add more than ~2.5Kg to it a week. I feel that the best way to know I can carry this bugger is to just do it. I have the luck of being able to carry a giant pack and not have it stick out. For those people who find it odd, if you just keep carrying it, they will become accustomed to it and not give it another thought after a few weeks.

Goibhniu

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:28 pm

goibhniu wrote:P.S. I am impressed I have thus far escaped the mention of needing Kerlix..........
Drop down one line on the forum and post your FAK in the First Aid forum -- that'll change. :wink:

Jim

desertfairy
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead,return of the living dead

Post by desertfairy » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:34 pm

nice pack big boy but i think we need to add more to it like more ammo and a few other things

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:42 pm

...ammo? For what? I didn't see a firearm on the list...
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

BobtheBreaker
LotD
Resident Evil
Evil Dead Trilogy?

Post by BobtheBreaker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Squirrley wrote:...ammo? For what? I didn't see a firearm on the list...
Weve all seen Hot Shots Part Duex, manually thrown bullets are lethal to at least 30ft.

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Post by goibhniu » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Squirrley wrote:...ammo? For what? I didn't see a firearm on the list...
The rifle,shotgun and pistols are not in my EDC until my job and my uni both allow me to CCW(well open carry with possession of a ccw permit). The wife is trying to goad me into having a pack close to 50% of my body weight. I broke a ring on my pack this morning, I think I am going to have to find/make some steel rings for my pack, or maybe weight it. I have not found a good pack mass to body mass ratio. I keep upping the wieght in my pack gradually and with everyday carry I am becoming used to having that weight on me most of the time. I am currently at ~23Kg gear weight + soon another 9Kg of water. I need to get a dromedary bag or three to simulate ammunition weight for my pack. I also wear +5Kg ankle weights most of the time. So weight ratios or a better training regiment would be helpful

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:22 pm

goibhniu wrote:I am currently at ~23Kg gear weight + soon another 9Kg of water.
You actually plan to EDC 9 liters of water? (1L of H20 = 1kg = 2.2 lbs).

That seems like an excessive amount of water for a BoB, let alone a GHB or EDC, even in consideration of your location.

Jim

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Post by goibhniu » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Paragon wrote:
goibhniu wrote:I am currently at ~23Kg gear weight + soon another 9Kg of water.
You actually plan to EDC 9 liters of water? (1L of H20 = 1kg = 2.2 lbs).

That seems like an excessive amount of water for a BoB, let alone a GHB or EDC, even in consideration of your location.

Jim
I already EDC 6L of H2O the additional 9 is to simulate some of my additional gear. Six liters of water here is 6 hours of activity. I want to be ready to actually lump out all of my gear. I will dump the extraneous gear when the time comes. Comfort items first i.e. the camp stove, the surveying equipment. The wife has a max limit of ~15Kg carry weight so I am the pack mule like it or not. So, like it or not I am humping two rifles, two pistols, and most of the ammo for all weapons we leave with. The dogs can pack ~6-8KG between them and that is taken up with kibble and H2O. The BOV is obviously the first choice but with so few roads out of town over the dry wash and through the mountains is the most likely route out.

Goibhniu

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Re: Goibhniu's EDC/BOB/FAK Updated

Post by goibhniu » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm

Fixed the broken ring on the shoulder strap of my bag and added a few new items to my kit.

Here is a pic of the broken ring:
From Left to right: New cinch ring, ring from other shoulder strap, broken ring.

Before anyone asks yes it works great and I do believe in overkill. So I am upto ~62 dollars in total spent on the bag. I do live and work out of this sucker. So things like exact levels of supplies varies from day to day. Still trying to find a good local supplier of things like datrex or mainstay bars. First rule for me for things like rations is to try them first then add them. This weekend I went to the local Summit hut and grabbed some gookinaid and tried it, liked it, went back and bought a few more to add. I am now looking at adding some tyvek tarps to my bag after reading this!

Goibhniu

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Re: Goibhniu's EDC/BOB/FAK Updated

Post by goibhniu » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Added a few more pictures: (Note I am not even remotely qualified to own a camera let alone use one....)

BOB From Left

BOB From Right

Contents

My EDC-BOB/FAK
My Wiki Contributions

CERT member

goibhniu
Enter Zombie King
Resident Evil

Goibhniu's EDC BOB-GHB/FAK Updated

Post by goibhniu » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:44 am

Ok, I have reorganized this to make the contents a bit more understandable. I am looking into moving some items to a truck carried supply/resupply that can be loaded into/attached to my bag in the event of an on foot bug out.

My BOB/GHB
Clothing:
  • Six Color Desert BDUs [vacuum sealed]
    2 pair Multicam ACU
    6 pair boot socks [individually vacuum sealed]
    6 pair boxer briefs [individually vacuum sealed]
    4 cotton t-shirts [individually vacuum sealed]
    Shemagh OD/Black
Bedding & Shelter:
  • 50' truspec 550 cord (coyote tan)
    50' USGI 550 Cord (OD Green)
    USGI Poncho
Communication:
  • GPRS Radio
    Signal Mirror
Documents & Literature:
Fire:
  • 10 firestarter alcogel packets
    Magnesium fire starter
    additional firesteel
    3 bic lighters
    OliCamp stove
    1 fuel bottle
Food & Water:
  • 3L hydration bladder
    2L hydration bladder
    1L acrylic bottle
    1 bottle potable aqua
    10 Clif bars
    2 single serve tuna pouches
    3 3600 KCal Datrex rations
    USGI Mess kit
    4 P38 can openers
    1 Packet Gookinaid (orange)
Navigation:
  • Lensatic Compass
    AZ Topo Book
Tools:
  • 3 Contractor Sharpies
    2 0.9MM lead refills
    4 0.5MM gel pens
    Sight Level (Doubles as a weak telescope)
    String Level
    Folding E-Tool
    Surveyors twine
    Solar Calculator
    9 LED flashlight
    Spare batteries for light
    Gerber Multitool
    1 roll duct tape
    1 roll electrical tape
    1 roll fabric sports tape
    6 glow sticks
    wire cutter/stripper