TOTM MREs

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

doctor_ocks

TOTM MREs

Post by doctor_ocks » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:47 am

my local surplus shop only has clear packet TOTM MREs available. The owner staid they're basically the same thing but are about half the calories. He's selling them for $5 a piece. These worth it?
Jeriah wrote:Gimme one in .505 and a time machine so I can take a picture of myself putting my balls in a dead T rex's mouth.

jay_imok

Re: TOTM MREs

Post by jay_imok » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:46 pm

for those of us who don't know . . . what's "TOTM"???

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:09 pm

jay_imok wrote:for those of us who don't know . . . what's "TOTM"???
It seems to be a MRE-like bag lunch.

http://www.dscp.dla.mil/subs/rations/pr ... otmabt.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(This link isn't working for me right now, but here's what Google has cached.)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

hockey2pt0

Post by hockey2pt0 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:19 pm

I would just go with mre's off the internet. Look it up on mreinfo.com because they have great info.
Semper Paratus

Shiner86

Post by Shiner86 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:52 pm

I don't know. Most surplus stores I've seen carry *real* MREs for $5 each. And that's up here in Ohio, even. Down in Texas, close to an Army base, it was more like $3.

supraneurotoxin

Post by supraneurotoxin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:08 pm

sheddi wrote:
jay_imok wrote:for those of us who don't know . . . what's "TOTM"???
It seems to be a MRE-like bag lunch.

http://www.dscp.dla.mil/subs/rations/pr ... otmabt.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(This link isn't working for me right now, but here's what Google has cached.)
Tailored Operational Training Meal. from the looks of the google link, they seem to be MREs in cheaper packaging with a reduced shelf life. max shelf life looks like 18 months.
unless they are practically giving them away, I 'd go with the real thing.

VVR41TH
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I Am Legend

Post by VVR41TH » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:24 pm

I've had them several times before (a Navy friend of mine can get them for $3 on base versus a supposed $7 for a full MRE), and they're good enough for most uses. They're something like 1000 calories on average, versus the 1200 requirement for military MREs. The main difference is, as someone already said, the packaging. The shelf life on these is less than half of a full MRE, so don't expect to use these for "preparedness" issues.

Mags
Favorite Zombie Movies: *cough*not a zombie*cough* "Dog Soldiers" Just watch it. I'm sure this crowd will approve!

Post by Mags » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:36 pm

The above answers are correct. These are "like" MRE's but not. They are cheaper for the government and Mil. units such as Guard and Reserve to purchase for drill weekends. Helps with the "train like you fight" mantra. These like some other mil equipment are marked "For Training Only."

The packaging isn't as robust. Calories are not as high, bout half, and storage life isn't near the same. Good enough for a day hike or getting kids to try MRE's but at $5 a piece "real deal" meals would be a better option.

Hope this helped.
MAGS BOB THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=41853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS MED THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 43&t=42670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS FOOD THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=104784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Well, for me, the action is the juice..........I'm in."

supraneurotoxin

Post by supraneurotoxin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:20 pm

I had another thought:
if you've never eaten an MRE before(and I think everyone should, if only to appreciate real food :lol: ), you could grab a few to try since those are the only ones available locally for you. shelf life and calorie content wouldn't really matter if your going to eat them right away just to see how they taste. if you can stomach those, then you could order the good ones. they aren't bad BTW. think chef boyardee.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:29 pm

With a shelf life of 18 months, you could buy one, keep it in your GHB, and eat/rotate it every 6 months. But I agree, for five bucks, shop around and buy the real deal.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:31 pm

I thought that they might be:

Turn
Of
The
Millennium

...like somebody got ahold of a bunch of MREs from the 1990s, and is trying to sell them with an acronymed warning... :wink:

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

supraneurotoxin

Post by supraneurotoxin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:38 pm

nfa wrote:I thought that they might be:

Turn
Of
The
Millennium

...like somebody got ahold of a bunch of MREs from the 1990s, and is trying to sell them with an acronymed warning... :wink:

Jamie
:lol: :lol:

Y2K FTW!

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:27 pm

They're probably FEMA give aways. I was told that at least some folks in Texas received these during the last hurricane. Real MREs are 7.42 each at Quantico. I've never seen these other ones for sale on a base.

doctor_ocks

Post by doctor_ocks » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:32 pm

Right on guys. I didn't know about the lower shelf life. I'll pass on them then.
Jeriah wrote:Gimme one in .505 and a time machine so I can take a picture of myself putting my balls in a dead T rex's mouth.

doctor_ocks

Post by doctor_ocks » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:32 pm

Right on guys. I didn't know about the lower shelf life. I'll pass on them then.

hockey2pt0

Post by hockey2pt0 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:20 am

I saw them recently at a flea market and passed because they were 8 dollars.
Semper Paratus

SilentVectorX

Post by SilentVectorX » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:18 pm

Here on Offutt AFB, they sell TOTMs for $4 and MREs for about $8, in the commissary.

Seems like the only difference with the TOTMs is removal of a side item or two, and the clear packaging.
My Pocket Survival Kit Comments appreciated!
Image Technician Class - KD0GHY
M1A SOCOM, .45, PIE!

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:28 pm

My understanding after talking to folks who've used them is that they lack the foil layer in the packaging- true? If so, they are the same thing as the wet pack stuff you can buy in the grocery store. Yes, the shelf life is "only" a year. So replace them every six months and eat one for lunch every so often. Then you know what is in there that tastes good and your body reacts poorly to.

But for five bucks, I'm thinking you are getting ripped off. :P
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”