Seasonal BoB?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Seasonal packing

I pack everything
33%
I pack by season
60%
Something else
8%

Total votes: 40

paladin15132

Seasonal BoB?

Post by paladin15132 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Seems that I see a lot of this, but i was thinking... Why would you not pack for worst case in case the issue is never come back? I mean a BoB might not be something that can be repacked in the last moments, and wondered just what was everyone else's thoughts on this one?

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Seasonal BoB?

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:43 pm

My BOB is seasonal but the INCH bag is packed for all seasons.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Different strokes for different folks, but I think most people who have a bug out bag also have a bug out location they are heading to. That journey, and the climates in between, affect most of the planning on this.

There's also the INCH bag, for I'm Never Coming Home, and in that you'd want everything, I'd guess. If you have a quality parka, and live somewhere you'd need it in a few months, you'd probably want to drag it along until then.

It is rarely below freezing here, and often over 100. Its usually dry, but 'winter' is rainy. I try to stay set for these. Since we're planning on bugging in, most of my focus is on getting home, with whoever I happen to be with, whichever vehicle we happen to be in, and whatever weather conditions there happen to be. Since most of the gear lives in the vehicles, its not that hard to have winter and rain gear packed in there year round. Good walking shoes for my wife and daughter are a must, too, as they usually wear things more suited to fashion than a 10 mile hoof it. If it is mid summer, and no rain likely for a week or two, I'd ditch the winter and wet weather gear when we had to ditch the car.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:23 pm

I pack semi seasonally, in that each "layer" is functionally complete to meet the conditions likely to be encountered for the time span the bag in intended for. As a stand alone, each layer is "survival" rated, but the more layers there are, the more redundancy exists and can be used together to increase overall functionality. As the layers "move further from the skin", the items become more specialized and less individually functional but add more to the layers beneath

Raydarkhorse

Post by Raydarkhorse » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:08 pm

My set up is like WW my BOB is pretty much good for all seasons if I'm dressed right to begin with but my INCH is set up for all seasons even if I'm naked to start out with.

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Summer out here it's 90/90 all the time. Winter can get down close to zero at night, and not get above freezing even when the sun is out. No way I can pack for all seasons without going for one monster of a bag, the parameters are too different. And since mobility = life, and weight reduces mobility..... I repack seasonally.

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

Pansy

Post by Pansy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:09 am

I say pack everything... Worst case scenario you are bugging out in the middle of summer with your winter gear. If it is too heavy or cumbersome you could always drop or modify it. Most of my winter gear can be turned into summer gear with the help of some EMT shears. Obviously there are a lot of variables involved, but the most important one might be not knowing how long your bug out situation is going to last.

Psyko5616
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead,

Post by Psyko5616 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:28 am

Pack many light layers and one waterproof one, that way you can put on more clothes of youre cold, a layer if its raining, or if its hot you can dry one light layer while wearing another. dry by tying them to your pack or trees or house or whatever.

NORTHERN RAIDER
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later

Post by NORTHERN RAIDER » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:30 am

My EDC is seasonal, but my BOB only varies by the addition of winter clothing in the winter quarter, my caches are constant.
A Dog is not just for Christmas, the Cold cuts will last until New Year.
Be alert, Lerts dont have accidents.

JollyRoger762

Post by JollyRoger762 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:18 pm

I pack everything.

The only difference between summer and winter here is whether or not I'd need a sleeping bag, so i just pack the 3 pounds around anyway. It's good for the area I live in.

If I'm leaving the area, then it's my INCH bag which has a tent and a sleep system that can handle subzero temps.

I keep coming back to "what if I'm gone long enough to need my winter gear?" or "What if I forgot to repack for winter?" So I just keep my bags 4-season.

Now, my recreational hiking/camping gear is a different story.
"No, they were not 'psychos', they were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a #^@% how crazy they are."

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:56 pm

When sitting in my closet my BOB is packed for winter. If I'm going camping in the summer I'll usually swap the sleeping bag for a thinner one. The rest of my gear is 4seasons.
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

Grace

Post by Grace » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:58 pm

In the summer, there's more water and less clothing, and in the winter it's reversed.
I think a good gift for the President would be a chocolate revolver. And since he is so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him real quick and give it to him.

Ufdyixcaff

Post by Ufdyixcaff » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:34 pm

Grace wrote:In the summer, there's more water and less clothing, and in the winter it's reversed.
Be careful. In the winter you use just as much, if not more, H2O in the winter than in the summer.

111t

Post by 111t » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:11 pm

KeepItSimpleStupid wrote:
Grace wrote:In the summer, there's more water and less clothing, and in the winter it's reversed.
Be careful. In the winter you use just as much, if not more, H2O in the winter than in the summer.
Very, very true! Sometimes it's much much easier to find in the winter.

As far as seasonality of the kit, i think it's a good idea. I've often said that the thought process of preparedness is the most important thing. Once you have all of the gear for the perfect kit for each season... I think it's best to keep the kit in mind, rather than put it on a shelf and forget it.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Return to “Bug Out Gear”