ColdHaven's GHG (Get Home Gear)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Coldhaven
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead 1 & 2, Army of Darkness; Resident Evil 1, 2, & 3; Shaun of the Dead; Thriller, 28 Days Later

ColdHaven's GHG (Get Home Gear)

Post by Coldhaven » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:16 pm

I hope that this is the correct place to put this. I do not want to post my BOB yet because I am not finished with putting it together. I know a lot of people post BOBs here, but this is a kit I put together to get to my home where my BOB is and all of my other equipment. This would be in my car so that I would be able to make it to the house to get the rest of my equipment and such before heading to my BOL.

I like the field pack because it can attach either to my LCE or with the ALICE Clips it can attach to my Rucksack once I get to my home. I can also attach the canteen either to the pack or the LCE. The only thing I could not attach would be the backpack itselt. Still trying to figure out what I should do with that once I get to the house. Maybe leave it in the car? lol. I know this might be a bit more tactical looking than most people would like, but its what I am used to, and that makes it a bit easier on me.

I don't call it a GHB because it isn't just one bag. You'll see. Let me know what you think!

This is my GHG setup and how I would carry it.

Here is the Field pack.

2 ACE Wraps
1 Roll Latex Tape
1 Roll Silk Tape
1 Roll Kerlix
1 Snake Bite Kit
Map
Sm. SAS Survival Book
Sm. First Aid Book
1 Thread Needle
5 pair of latex free gloves
Lrg. Tweezers
2 Sm. Gauze Bandage Rolls
1 Tube Arthricream
1 Tube Anti-Biotic
1 Tube Hydrocortizone
Sm. Tube Blistex
Sm. Black Thread
Utility Scissors
1 Sm. Tin of various meds (Drammamine, Benedryl, Naproxen, Excederin, Ibuprofen)
3 cc Syringe
Soap
Magnifying lens
2 Moleskins
1 Light pen
1 LED light/Laser pointer
3 lighters
Light Stick
1 Matchbook
1 Pen w/ Gorilla Glue Duct Tape
Permanent marker
7 Saftey Pins
10 2x2 gauze pads
1 pocket First Aid Kit
Steri-Strip
4 Lrg. Bandages
1 CPR Mask
Field Dressing
Bottle of Iodine
X-tra set of glasses
3 Telfa Pads
Bottle opener
Can Opener
10 Oz bag of trail mix
10 Oz bag of raisins
1 can Vienna Sausages
1 Magnesium/ Flint Striker
1 Field Binoculars
AD Meds
Compass/ Whistle/ Temperature/ Magnifying Glass gauge
Jerky
Candle
Fish hooks
Blueberry granola bar
Miso Soup Mix
1 Fishing sinker

My backpack

Pants
2 Shirts
Sox
Underwear
1 Lrg. Binoculars
1 First Aid Kit
1 Survival Knife
1 Shake-Recharge flashlight
1 Belt
Water bottle with 50 lbs fishing line wrapped around it.

Then there is the 2 quart canteen with water purification tabs.

Naked Snake: Real heroes are never made public.
Major Zero: Not in our line of work anyway.

Shiner86

Re: ColdHaven's GHG (Get Home Gear)

Post by Shiner86 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:10 am

Hey, nice kit!

The only thing I'd get rid of, if I were you, is that snake bite kit. Most snake bit kits are a joke, but if you're really set on carrying one you should drop the $15 on a Sawyer Extraction Kit.

Also, unless I missed it, I didn't see anything you could use for shelter in a pinch. A small poncho or tarp could really come in handy if it's raining. I see your Get Home plan involves a car, but you never know when you might have to cover some ground on foot.

Other than that, you seem to have all the basics covered. Water, fire, food and first aid. Just get yourself some shelter and I think you should be good. Nice Job! Can't wait to see your BOB. :D

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:20 am

Are snake bites that common in NC? I'd drop it altogether rather than buy a good one.
I Survived NNY2010WCT!
I Survived NNY2011WCT!
Big Mac wrote:Next time you say clip when referring to a magazine, we're cutting your dick off. You have been warned.

Coldhaven
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead 1 & 2, Army of Darkness; Resident Evil 1, 2, & 3; Shaun of the Dead; Thriller, 28 Days Later

Post by Coldhaven » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:42 am

There are two common snakes in NC. One is poisonous (the Copperhead Snake) and the non-poisonous snake (Black or Garden Snake). I am sure there are more than these two in NC, but they are the most common. I wouldn't discount the snake bite kit right off. Sure it might be almost completely useless as a snake bite kit, but it does have a razor and iodine which are not useless. I might throw it out or I might not. I have heard in previous discussions how it will not work against snake bites. However, I am still stweing over other applications for it.

In the meantime, thanks for mentioning about the poncho. I have been going back and forth about cover for a bit. As you said, that I mentioned about my primary plan included my car, but that I might have to make it on foot. I have strongly considered that. There are many scenarios (and they don't have to be the PAW to do it) where car might not get me out of there quick enough.

What I am going back and forth about is that I already own a poncho. Its stuck on the back of my LCE (I guess I should show a pic of it sometime as well). Perhaps I should think outside of the military box (we used to have ponchos on the backs of our LCEs) and put it in one of the comparments of my backpack. Since I am going to be re-attaching everything else to either my LCE or my Rucksack I might as well do the same with my poncho.

Today I should be recieving a E-Tool or otherwise known as a shovel. LOL. That one goes with my rucksack, but I might buy another one for the car. It is a problem. What things to you leave out of your GHG and leave in your BOB? What if you have to abandon your plan to get home where all your gear is? Will you have enough if you do?

Anyway, I am going to take my daughter to school, get some coffee and contemplate this further. Thanks for the input!

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:49 am

There's some posts over in First Aid saying that the suction extractors for snake bite actually do more harm than good. However, the best the experts come up with on 'what should you do then' is a helicopter evac.... I'm not an expert there but there were several studies from JAMA and the New England JOM saying no on the extractors.

I usually make enough noise walking that snakes hear me coming and bug out themselves.... :roll:

Have you tried a hike with that stuff yet? It looks like the separate pouches would be a mess. Things that go over a single shoulder cause problems for me. They keep trying to slide down. Nothing like a shake out hike to see what works for you.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Coldhaven

Post by Coldhaven » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:38 am

I completely plan to do a hike with my gear. I have a park near here which has enough hills to constitute some real hiking. I have had misgivings about the three seperate instead of all in one bag, but then I would have to use my Ruck, and I would rather have it as a BOB or INCH bag. In rough terrain it might have a problem with slipping off of my shoulder. The good thing about the field pack is that it can also connect to a belt which is in my pack. Then I would have only one thing on my shoulder. I like the field pack and might even get another. It carries a lot in a small space and it has rain protection poncho-like material which closes with a draw string.

Once I get more items to fit into my rucksack I will show what I have. It might be a little bit though. Still have plenty of things I need to get. I am also not so sure what best things to pack. I have a general idea, but I want some of the more long term stuff to be in my BOB. I still need to buy sleeping bag and a tent. In a lot of ways, I am starting to think that a GHB should be a minature version of a BOB: With the GHB you have a poncho for temporary cover and in a BOB you would have a tent. Some of these items I am going round and round about in my head about getting. There are tents that sleep 3 people (which is good in my case), but they will be more heavier to carry. Stuff like that is keeping me from making to quick of progress with my BOB...which is probably good for my wallet. :lol:

goblin
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original day of the dead!

Post by goblin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:55 am

How far are you normally away from home?? Seems like a lot of extra stuff if in a worse case scenario you can hike home if half a day!
"Just kickin' a can down the road to Hell."
"Real zombies CAN"T run!!"

Visit http://www.urbansurvivalstrategies.forumsland.com/

Coldhaven

Post by Coldhaven » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:20 am

goblin wrote:How far are you normally away from home?? Seems like a lot of extra stuff if in a worse case scenario you can hike home if half a day!
I have already estimated travel time. If I were still in the Army, I think the norm is 5 miles an hour. However, with my daughter and all, I expect anywhere between 2-3 mph. The way I estimate it, it would take me about 5-6 hours to reach my BOL on foot. Of course, WCS, I would have to go all the way home to get my BOB first without a car. That would be a problem. One which would be 12+ long. So about a day in the WCS dept. >.< Its a mini-BOB I guess when you really look at it lol.

TheQuietOne

Post by TheQuietOne » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:45 am

Coldhaven wrote:The good thing about the field pack is that it can also connect to a belt which is in my pack. Then I would have only one thing on my shoulder. I like the field pack and might even get another.
Maybe you should replace the two-quart canteen with two one-quart canteens, and mount them onto your belt along with the butt pack? That might balance better/ be easier to carry than having stuff slung on your shoulders.
Napalm{WmD} wrote:The longer something is designed to stay edible the less likely you are to want to eat it.

Coldhaven

Post by Coldhaven » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:10 am

TheQuietOne wrote:
Coldhaven wrote:The good thing about the field pack is that it can also connect to a belt which is in my pack. Then I would have only one thing on my shoulder. I like the field pack and might even get another.
Maybe you should replace the two-quart canteen with two one-quart canteens, and mount them onto your belt along with the butt pack? That might balance better/ be easier to carry than having stuff slung on your shoulders.
Got there before you. :) I have two one quart canteens on my LCE. Thanks for the post though. I am considering loading my LCE with my GHG. Not sure about that though. Don't want to come off looking like some militia tacticool nut. This is just equipment I am used to using and so I feel more comfortable with using it. Since I have been mentioning my LCE maybe I should take a pic and post it. Be back in a bit...

Here you go. A Pic of my LCE (Load Carrying Equipment).

I don't have everything in it, but right now it has a waterproof L-Shape flashlight, Kabar, multi-tool, and 2 D batteries, canteens, lensatic compass, and possibly Poncho or Field Pack. Canteens help balance and would provide me a gallon of water (w/ 2 quart canteen). I'm still considering whether I should have this LCE with my GHG in the Jeep.

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:07 pm

goblin wrote:How far are you normally away from home?? Seems like a lot of extra stuff if in a worse case scenario you can hike home if half a day!
I'd agreed sorta... it seems like a lot of med supplies for just getting home in my opinion.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:10 pm

Murph wrote:
I'd agreed sorta... it seems like a lot of med supplies for just getting home in my opinion.
I dunno; I just attach my normal FAK to the GHB. That looks like what he's doing. Easier to just take the same one than to have a seperate one. Band aids and kerlix don't weigh much.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

TheQuietOne

Post by TheQuietOne » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Coldhaven wrote:
TheQuietOne wrote:
Got there before you. :) I have two one quart canteens on my LCE. Thanks for the post though. I am considering loading my LCE with my GHG. Not sure about that though. Don't want to come off looking like some militia tacticool nut. This is just equipment I am used to using and so I feel more comfortable with using it. Since I have been mentioning my LCE maybe I should take a pic and post it. Be back in a bit...

Here you go. A Pic of my LCE (Load Carrying Equipment).

I don't have everything in it, but right now it has a waterproof L-Shape flashlight, Kabar, multi-tool, and 2 D batteries, canteens, lensatic compass, and possibly Poncho or Field Pack. Canteens help balance and would provide me a gallon of water (w/ 2 quart canteen). I'm still considering whether I should have this LCE with my GHG in the Jeep.
Nice! :D I'd probably carry that, with the other backpack you pictured if you need more space..... but that's just me. :)
Napalm{WmD} wrote:The longer something is designed to stay edible the less likely you are to want to eat it.

Coldhaven

Post by Coldhaven » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:29 pm

Murph wrote:
I never underestimate the probability for any legitimate plan to have setbacks. The meds are not just there for me afterall. Its to get me from work or wherever to home where my BOB is, and once I get there, it then supplements what I already have. I have a FAK which has a lot more than this from Bactine to sunblock. I could carry it in the car, but it is for use here in the home as well.
phil_in_cs wrote: I dunno; I just attach my normal FAK to the GHB. That looks like what he's doing. Easier to just take the same one than to have a seperate one. Band aids and kerlix don't weigh much.

Most bandages and things like that are lightweight and do not take up too much space unless they are tape or kerlix. It is designed to be something I can use to get here, and then supplement my BOB when I bug out with my family. Since these are attachable to my Ruck (except the backpack) it makes them pretty handy to have. Maybe I should show my FAK sometime. It doesn't have a lot of the ultra cool things like SAM splints or that blood clotting agent (yet), but it does have a healthy dose for long term care. Not surgery though. Though I am not sure I would be proficient to do any of that anyway. Might do more harm than good.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Coldhaven wrote:I hope that this is the correct place to put this.
looks like the right place to me. :) seems all the GHB and BOBs go in the Bug Out Gear forum.
Coldhaven wrote:I don't call it a GHB because it isn't just one bag.
*L* I think GHG works too.
Coldhaven wrote:Still trying to figure out what I should do with that once I get to the house. Maybe leave it in the car? lol.
I'd say bring it in the house an set it right inside the door. That way you have the chance to settle in, get some info, assess the situation and restock your bag if needed.
Coldhaven wrote:I know this might be a bit more tactical looking than most people would like, but its what I am used to, and that makes it a bit easier on me.
I think you're fine. That looks less tactical and more thiftstore score, which I consider a good thing. ;)
Coldhaven wrote:but this is a kit I put together to get to my home where my BOB is and all of my other equipment. This would be in my car so that I would be able to make it to the house to get the rest of my equipment and such before heading to my BOL.
Looks like a clever setup. :)

What kind of shoes do you usually wear to work? (school?) You may want to throw a pair of good hiking boots in your car in case you have to walk home. A pair of winter/snow boots may be worthwhile to add around the fall/early winter for the same reason.

Since this will be stored in your car you may want to add some more water and food, either in the bag or in the vehicle. You have clothes in there for more than a day, but it doesn't look like enough food and water for a full day or more. Do you keep the canteen and bottle full? Do you have plans for carrying more water or refilling? If you have to leave your car and head home by foot that may not be enough.

You may want to add another small battery powered light (or a headlamp) as a backup. I haven't had good luck with those shake lights unless they're really high end... or as a friend calls them "wank lights". :lol:

Looking at how you're carrying those shoulder bags you may want to sling them over your head and across your chest instead. I find whenever I'm carrying a shoulder bag as you've shown the things are constantly sliding off my shoulder every time I bend down or move around. that could drive you crazy during a bug out.

And I'll suggest to add what I always say for these things: dust mask (or bandana) and goggles. Even in the winter.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Coldhaven

Post by Coldhaven » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Y.T. wrote: Looks like a clever setup.

What kind of shoes do you usually wear to work? (school?) You may want to throw a pair of good hiking boots in your car in case you have to walk home. A pair of winter/snow boots may be worthwhile to add around the fall/early winter for the same reason.

Since this will be stored in your car you may want to add some more water and food, either in the bag or in the vehicle. You have clothes in there for more than a day, but it doesn't look like enough food and water for a full day or more. Do you keep the canteen and bottle full? Do you have plans for carrying more water or refilling? If you have to leave your car and head home by foot that may not be enough.

You may want to add another small battery powered light (or a headlamp) as a backup. I haven't had good luck with those shake lights unless they're really high end... or as a friend calls them "wank lights".

Looking at how you're carrying those shoulder bags you may want to sling them over your head and across your chest instead. I find whenever I'm carrying a shoulder bag as you've shown the things are constantly sliding off my shoulder every time I bend down or move around. that could drive you crazy during a bug out.

And I'll suggest to add what I always say for these things: dust mask (or bandana) and goggles. Even in the winter.
LoL. I am going to laugh now because 3 pairs of goggles came in the mail today. ;) 2 are clear and 1 is tinted. It came along with my E-tool. I need to get a dust mask. However, kind of wondering which way to go on that. We have cheap N-95 masks at the hospital (cheap because I can take them from the storage area and then forget about them till I get home :wink: ) Possibly even thought about stowing one of the gas masks I own (not for NBC I don't want to start up on that tangent), but they do have their applications. Might be easier just to keep some N-95 masks in the kit. Or maybe a bandana, but I don't know where you buy those at.

I was talking about just that issue with someone in the chat room today (about stringing them across my chest). Problem here is that I found that they squeeze the carotid arteries on either side of my neck and they are suffocating. Last thing I need to do in that situation is pass out due to lack of blood flow to the brain or oxygen. One of the good things about the field pack is that I can connect it to the belt I have in the pack. Or, I can take the strap itself and make a belt out of it. Or if I finally decide to make my LCE a part of my GHG then it can latch onto the back of that. Love the field pack. I can attach it to virtually anything. With the field pack around my waist I can then sling the 2 quart canteen across my chest like you mentioned.

Believe me, being a guy, and trying to charge one of those flashlights for 2 minutes, you start to say to yourself 'Hey, this feels awfully familliar...' Wank-light...thats hilarious! :lol: I just wanted a waterproof light that did not depend on batteries, and this was 5 dollars, and seems to do very well at charging. :oops: I also didn't want to have to worry about heat and batteries in a car...and corrosion. Maybe I will carry one of those hand-crank ones, and I will change one out for it when I do. They have a lantern one that does all sorts of nifty things for $18.88 at wally-world. This wank-light was only 5 dollars. Guess which one won? Just another reason why I am considering adding my LCE to the GHG. My L-Shaped flashlight is both waterproof, and can clip onto my LCE for hands-free use.

As far as the water goes...not an issue. :P Well less of an issue than normal. As mentioned, the 2 quart canteen is full of water, and it has 2 water purification bottles in the pouch. Thus, there is a way to get suitable drinking water. Second, thanks to that nifty thread on the Nalgene sale, I stayed up to 2 AM that night deciding on which ones I wanted. I got a 96 Oz collapsable bottle for storage in the car also. Because of the wide mouth, filters or purifiers can be added to the tops of them.

Some math (yay!)... 96 ounces = 2.67 quarts. Then the 2 quart canteen = 4.67 quarts. Add in the water bottle with the fish line around it (which is 16 ounces). So the 96 + 16 = 112 ounces = 3.1 quarts. Added to the 2 quart canteen = 5.1 quarts. And if I decide to add my LCE to the GHG then I would have 7.1 quarts. That would be roughly 1.78 Gallons. If you add in the factor that it takes 4 tabs to make 2 quarts purified water, and there are 50 tabs in the bottle, then it would have the capacity to make 6.25 gallons purified water. And that is if I don't finally decide to bring one of those 6 gallon water jugs in my car. 12.25 gallons. Overkill? And that is before I talk to my daughter officially about having an BOB.

Now food, I accept, is a little low. However, I could live on that for more than a day. Not a week, but this is not my BOB. I plan to get 30 day rations to supplement in my BOB soon. Amongst the things I am getting ready for the possible hurricane coming up here, I have some food items I could add to the car, just in case. I have been trying to stock up on foods that will last for awhile. Someone mentioned something on the chat room I had just forgotten about. Fig Newtons...mmmm. And they last for a little bit too. Not sure in a hot car how long they will last, but anyway...even I have to remind myself 'this is GHG, not a BOB. I can't fit everything in it. I have even thought about having a gas can in there, but something says danger to me about that.

The boots issue was something I was talking about earlier too. See I have 2 Jungle boots in my BOB. Usually I wear sneakers, and so does the rest of my family. It might be a good thing for me to take the boots out of the BOB and put them in the jeep. Wouldn't hurt, and it would give me some more space in my BOB. I also want to store more clothing in my car too, for all of us, just in case. We don't get much snow. So boots will do nicely. I need to find a place that replaces treading on boots, but I am not sure where to look. There are other pairs I have (some Harley boots) that would be good also.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and info. I really appreciate everyone who has responded to this thread. If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free! I am sure there are other things I have not considered yet.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:53 pm

Coldhaven wrote: LoL. I am going to laugh now because 3 pairs of goggles came in the mail today. ;) 2 are clear and 1 is tinted. It came along with my E-tool. I need to get a dust mask. However, kind of wondering which way to go on that. We have cheap N-95 masks at the hospital (cheap because I can take them from the storage area and then forget about them till I get home :wink: ) Possibly even thought about stowing one of the gas masks I own (not for NBC I don't want to start up on that tangent), but they do have their applications. Might be easier just to keep some N-95 masks in the kit. Or maybe a bandana, but I don't know where you buy those at.
Easiest thing to do for a dust mask is just get a bandana or a shemagh. Something you can use to wrap around your nose, mouth, and preferably ears. Plus, if you use something like that, you can tie it around your head to keep the sweat out of your eyes, and use it as a first stage filter to getting larger gribblies out of water that you filter. Just put it over the intake on a pump filter or across the mouth of a canteen to filter things out.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:25 pm

Sounds like you've got things covered well. :) Just a few last thoughts on some of the the things you mentioned, disregard or consider as you like...

re: water,
the containers are great, but it's equally important that either some are full or you have a 100% known reliable resource to fill them before you leave. :) For example, you may have a reliable resource for water filling at work, but what if you're not at work when an emergency happens? What if you're in transit, or at a store? What happens if the city water supply is unusable so you need to rely on a natural source instead? Having a few store bought sealed bottles of water in your trunk might be a good idea as an alternate to keeping some of the containers full, since the tap-filled containers have to be dumped and refilled every 6 months.

Just keep in mind that if you're going to be active all day, such as walking home, you may need a minimum of a gallon (4 quarts) of drinking water depending on the environmental issues and your body's stress level. Plus water to clean dirt/ash/debris/dust/chemicals off your face and out of your eyes, plus water to clean wounds. If you're going to have to setup camp overnight along your way home you'll probably need more than 1 gallon. Having those purifying tablets and the empty containers are only helpful if you can find a water source to refill, particularly on day 2. I realize being in the south east you have more natural resources available than I do, but that 1 gallon per day thing is a pretty standard estimate.

re: dust mask,
for GHG you can just get a brand name disposable mask from the hardware store that is specifically for particles (they'll usually say for sanding or woodworking). They usually come 3 to a pack. One will last you through most of a day of continual ash/dust/debris. Bandanas are better than nothing but they don't seal around your mouth and nose so ash/dust/debris can still get in. Usually you can get bandanas at drug stores, dollar stores, mil surplus stores, or hunting shops.

re: wank lights,
I think they're a nice option for the reasons you've mentioned, but found them cumbersome trying to use them for more than a few minutes light. For example, having to light your way home means stopping every few minutes and shaking. I personally prefer to have a battery powered light for primary use and keep a shake/crank light as a backup, storing batteries out of the device if I'm concerned about leakage or damage. But as I said, that's just my personal preference. :)

re: shoes,
yeah, it can be a bit difficult to try to figure out what to put in the GHB and what to put in the BOB. You know, without getting all crazy redundant. If your car is easily accessible from your residence keeping the boots in your car with your GHB could be an easy solution for you. I just realized that I can run a carabiner clip through either the back pull-loops or the toe-end laces of my hiking boots, then clip them to my bag. That way if I have to grab and go (no time to stop and change shoes at the moment) I still have them easily attached to my gear.

oh, and GHOST BUSTERS!! woo!! ;)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Coldhaven

Post by Coldhaven » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Hmmm. Will definitely have to look into getting a bandana or something like that. In the meantime.... let me show you the dust masks I was talking about. Both seem to be fashionable this season, and every mall ninja has got to have at least one of these for daytime apparel.

or

Whoo-hoo! Mall Ninja at last!

Water:
You have to think about how much you can carry at once. Like I said before, all of my canteens and water containers are filled with water already and I plan to cycle out the water every 6 months. The problem I hear with store bought water is that the bottles are brittle and will leak. So even those I would have to change out. I have to change the 18 gallons of water I have in the house anyway every 6 months, so why not? I rather have all my canteens and containers full and refill them every 6 months rather than buying bottles every 12.

Just to give you an idea of my WCS (worst case scenario): I am at work, my daughter is at school. My BOL is not my home, but that is where I will need to get to in order to load up my BOB and other items. From my work it would be 25 miles to my house. When I was in the Army we did a 5 mph pace. I would be foolish to think that I could do this right now having been out of the military 8 years. I do not think I would have a problem doing 4 mph. Well, more math...It would take me 6 hrs and 15 minutes to get to the house. Now, if I am picking up my daughter then I would have her with me. I think we might get 2-3 mph. In that case, WCS would take me 12 hrs and 30 minutes. Something tells me though that I would have access to my car at least part of the way, unless a plane crashed into the hospital parking lot, and then I would have worse problems to think about.

Of course, once I get home it would be 30 miles to my BOL. If I have my car I will have many options open to me, at least at first. If I have to get my gear and go from there, then it would take me either 7 hrs and 30 minutes or 15 hours. So what we are playing with here is generally about 4-5 days max to get to where I ultimately want to go. Even then I am being pretty generous on the days it would take total.

Even then there are several streams, rivers and lakes in my area. Several creeks and rivers are on the way to my BOL. So getting water if no water is running or drinkable from the tap I would be able to use the tablets. I realize this is more of an issue considering where you live. Good lord, your statement about your location under your avatar pic is the truth. Arizona is the land Death resides on vacation. Water is more of an issue. It is still an issue in my scenario, but there are places along the way I can get more water. Ultimately I have to think about how much I can carry on my person and carry the things I need to get from place to place.

Dust Mask:
See above pics :P

Wank-lights:
Thats a good idea about having it as a backup. I have 3 flashlights total right now. I could keep an extra one in the car with batteries seperate, ect.

Shoes:
I might put the boots in my car. Getting to my car from my house is a matter of feet. That is a good idea about clipping them to the outside of your BOB. I am going to have enough hanging on the outside of mine (field pack, e-tool, 2 quart canteen, ect) to do that. I will see if I could work it into it somehow.

Shirt:
I ain' afraid of no ghost!

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:12 pm

Coldhaven wrote:There are two common snakes in NC. One is poisonous (the Copperhead Snake) and the non-poisonous snake (Black or Garden Snake). I am sure there are more than these two in NC, but they are the most common.
Depends on where your at!
I'm in the Triad area and yes you need to worry about copperheads but they are timid, cottonmouths are not! We have lots of those and plenty of timber rattlers too! and when you get into swampy areas you better watchout! NC has coral snakes! Coral snakes are some of the deadliest in North America. There is a form of king snake that resembles the coral snake. The best way to determine the differnce is to killer it take to someone that knows snakes.
or just remember this "Red touches black the venom is lack, red touches yellow your a dead fellow!"

see here

Coldhaven

Post by Coldhaven » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:16 pm

Hmmm...I will have to look into those other ones. I remember them talking about the King and Coral snake in school. I must look up its habitat here in NC along with the Cottonmouth. Copperheads and Black snakes are the only ones I have seen, but I knew there were more than those around here.

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:51 pm

ColdHaven wrote:Like I said before, all of my canteens and water containers are filled with water already and I plan to cycle out the water every 6 months... Even then there are several streams, rivers and lakes in my area. Several creeks and rivers are on the way to my BOL.
Ah, that's the info I kept looking for, but somehow missed. Reading your prior posts it kinda sounded like you had lots of empty containers and lots of purifying tablets, but I wasn't seeing how you were getting the actual water. Sorry for the confusion on my part. :)
ColdHaven wrote:Dust Mask:
Those are AWESOME. Totally rock. (though I think you meant "goggles" when you typed "dust masks" ;) )
ColdHaven wrote:I am going to have enough hanging on the outside of mine (field pack, e-tool, 2 quart canteen, ect) to do that. I will see if I could work it into it somehow.
If it helps I hang mine from the bottom, where the straps join to the pack. I stitched a D-ring there, but you could likely just clip them over the strap itself. I also tucked as many of the hanging items as I could into pouches and under compression straps to keep them from banging all over or getting caught on stuff when stored.
ColdHaven wrote:Shirt:
"Listen!... Smell that?"

stealthedc

Post by stealthedc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:21 pm

sorry to highjack the thread:

"NC HAS THE DUBIOUS DISTINCTION OF THE MOST VENOMOUS SNAKE BITES OF ANY STATE IN THE US.". Linky: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/re ... erhead.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Point is though, that only 9-15 peopole die PER YEAR in the entire US due to snake bites. More people in NC are injured in NC in the bathtub than by snakes. Same goes for playing sports. Same website, different page linky: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/re ... kebite.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

sorry again for the highjack...

EDIT: Why do I care? I live in Durham NC, and no, I don't like Duke.

Coldhaven

Post by Coldhaven » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:22 am

Y.T. wrote:
ColdHaven wrote:Like I said before, all of my canteens and water containers are filled with water already and I plan to cycle out the water every 6 months... Even then there are several streams, rivers and lakes in my area. Several creeks and rivers are on the way to my BOL.
Ah, that's the info I kept looking for, but somehow missed. Reading your prior posts it kinda sounded like you had lots of empty containers and lots of purifying tablets, but I wasn't seeing how you were getting the actual water. Sorry for the confusion on my part. :)
ColdHaven wrote:Dust Mask:
Those are AWESOME. Totally rock. (though I think you meant "goggles" when you typed "dust masks" ;) )
ColdHaven wrote:I am going to have enough hanging on the outside of mine (field pack, e-tool, 2 quart canteen, ect) to do that. I will see if I could work it into it somehow.
If it helps I hang mine from the bottom, where the straps join to the pack. I stitched a D-ring there, but you could likely just clip them over the strap itself. I also tucked as many of the hanging items as I could into pouches and under compression straps to keep them from banging all over or getting caught on stuff when stored.
ColdHaven wrote:Shirt:
"Listen!... Smell that?"

Believe me...I am having those containers full of water. :) Even I'm not that ball-z.

Yup, sorry, I meant goggles. Sometimes that happens to me when I write. Also be on the look out for parts of other words from the next word in the sentence popping up in my typos. (<- Doesn't the word typo itself look like a misspelled word?) I am glad you like them. There is an online store that sells them on the cheap (because they are old and used...like Madonna). They are used in the military to keep sand, wind and sun out of your eyes (and maybe even smoke won't get in your eyes).

About the boots. I still have to look into that. When I get a tent and sleeping bag, I will have enough dangly things to deal with.

Re: Listen!...Smell that?

Thats him. Thats the one who got me.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”