need a BOB pack: suggestions? help?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Re: need a BOB pack: suggestions? help?

Post by Y.T. » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:57 pm

bebaker22 wrote:I have a Kelty bag that I use for hiking and camping, although I am using a much smaller bag for my BOB. It has room for a hydration system and a few small break away pieces. iloveash has the same backpack and we both love it. I think I paid maybe 60 for it. I can't find it on their website, I didn't look very hard though. My local surplus store has a bunch of them though.
111t also had good things to say about Kelty. Definitely on my list. Thanks. :) You don't have to trouble yourself taking a pic, but if you (or iloveash) happen to know the model I'll look it up.

edit: btw, Kelty also has a Tactical line, some even have PALS webbing: http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=2&cat=all
Last edited by Y.T. on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Polar_Bear
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend - I like to find faults with it and fix them plus fast zombies rule.
I tend not to rember zombie film names, but like them when I watch them

Post by Polar_Bear » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:00 pm

Im falling in love with the camelback motherload http://www.uspatriotstore.com/ProductIn ... uctid=8700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I know its more than you want to spend but thought I would share just incase.

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Polar_Bear wrote:Im falling in love with the camelback motherload http://www.uspatriotstore.com/ProductIn ... uctid=8700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I know its more than you want to spend but thought I would share just incase.
Thanks, Polar Bear. I thought that was great too, until I read the reviews. See my post on the previous page about sizing and it not working for smaller framed folks. :)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Polar_Bear
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend - I like to find faults with it and fix them plus fast zombies rule.
I tend not to rember zombie film names, but like them when I watch them

Post by Polar_Bear » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Y.T. wrote:
Polar_Bear wrote:Im falling in love with the camelback motherload http://www.uspatriotstore.com/ProductIn ... uctid=8700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I know its more than you want to spend but thought I would share just incase.
Thanks, Polar Bear. I thought that was great too, until I read the reviews. See my post on the previous page about sizing and it not working for smaller framed folks. :)
Yeah I wasnt sure about the sizing for you. I have problems with the belts as I'm fat lol so when I finally buy a bag I'll probably have to try it first.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:36 pm

Try this link. They have good stuff for low coin.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Outdoo ... rwear.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:43 pm

hiking pack vs. tactical pack
Just another update in case it helps anyone else trying to make the decision between consumer hiking pack and military style MOLLE pack. I've noticed that the hiking packs, like Kelty, are 2/3 to 1/2 of the weight of the tactical packs with the same cubic inch size.
Woods Walker wrote:Try this link. They have good stuff for low coin.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Outdoo ... rwear.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, WoodsWalker. I was just checking them out. :)

OhioMe

Post by OhioMe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:56 pm

I just ordered my wife a Kelty pack and two pair of cheapish wool hiking socks from STP after reading this thread. Thanks ZS!!

Even if she never uses it, it is better to have and not need rather than need and not have.
German Serial Killer Who Hacks Heads Off Rabbits Uses Google Earth to Find Victims
DavePAL84 wrote:If you guys bring an old t-shirt or two each it would also be beneficial (maybe something you don't mind being perforated with bullets and then thrown out?)
BeerandGuns wrote:.25 ACP. It took down Zombie Reaper and he's a bad a** motherf****r

Deschain
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead, Fido

Post by Deschain » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:22 pm

Y.T. wrote:hiking pack vs. tactical pack
Just another update in case it helps anyone else trying to make the decision between consumer hiking pack and military style MOLLE pack. I've noticed that the hiking packs, like Kelty, are 2/3 to 1/2 of the weight of the tactical packs with the same cubic inch size.
I've noticed that my tactical bags is heavier, as will most be. They're made from different materials for different purposes. Consumer type packs have very little in the way of modular attachments, and are built for...well, less abuse. Or rather, less concentrated abuse. I've loaded like my assault pack up to 60lbs, and its only groaned a bit. It's got as much (or more!) waterproofing than most civvie packs I've seen. They are, however, not designed to be light. Their purpose is maximum function, maximum tolerance for punishment. I like tactical stuff because it works, and because it generally doesn't come in colours like MURDER ME and SHOOT AT THIS BAG.

/rant

Deschain
Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing.- Cort

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.
-General Mattis

De-Domesticating the Modern Male

stealthedc

Post by stealthedc » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:19 pm

On the tactical vs. hiking topic,

I have EDC'd a Mountainsmith lumbar pack for over three years. This is daily use. It gets thrown, tossed, dropped, dragged, a now 3.5 y/o daughter and 1.5 y/o son abuse it, and I ride a motorcycle on average 3 times a week, several times in the rain, and it has been thrown, dragged, slugged, tossed, dropped on every surface imaginable (concrete, rocks, sand, grass, carpet, etc). It has been stuffed to beyond capacity hundreds of times with the seams thinking they were going to burst and low and behold, it is as tough as day one. Who says hiking is not meant for abuse?

The only thing I hate about it is the advertised Nalgene holders would not without-a-doubt hold the bottles securely in case of some upside down movement I could think of in an emergency. The bag is a tour. Not a bag you are looking at, just to prove hiking is tough.

I ordered a Kelty Elkhorn for those who are interested from sportsmans guide (have ordered from them before and am happy about this company. Linky: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/c ... 53134&pn=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is a heck of a deal for anyone looking for a large fanny (which I favor for EDC anyway). I can't wait to put it to the test.

And the pack I bought at REI three years ago. I told them I hate the supposed nalgene holders (which I use a 14oz nalgene and 32 oz generic juice bottle in) and wanted to return it after 3 years because I feel the bottles will fall out when needed most, and they said fine, but since I didn't have the receipt, they could only give store credit for the current selling price - which was $70 three years ago and is $70 today. I might just keep it though because the Kelty was so cheap and the Mountainsmith (it is a "tour" bag) is so tough. The only thing I don't like is it is definitely marketed towards a woman, as the sholder straps are called, "strapettes" and all the fotos have women wearing them. Anyway, the Kelty is camo and while I would like a solid color, you can't beat the price. It is 675 cu in too which is a BIG fanny pack.

http://www.mountainsmith.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You can't go wrong with build quality...

stealthedc

Post by stealthedc » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:35 pm

I just reread my previous post. Sorry if it is jumbled. When you have two kids running around you have to type fast and skip the editing.

Anyway, I want to re-iterate my point. Hiking is plenty tough (see my other post in this thread). Mountainsmith makes supertough and great products, and it seems especially geared towards women. check out http://www.mountainsmith.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They do make large capacity backpacks. Even at full retail, they are in your range. I do not know if you can get them cheaper than full retail but you could search it out. You would not be let down. In fact, it would exceed your expectations. I know, I use a Mountainsmith product daily.

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:15 pm

stealthedc wrote:Anyway, I want to re-iterate my point. Hiking is plenty tough (see my other post in this thread). Mountainsmith makes supertough and great products, and it seems especially geared towards women. check out http://www.mountainsmith.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. They do make large capacity backpacks. Even at full retail, they are in your range. I do not know if you can get them cheaper than full retail but you could search it out. You would not be let down. In fact, it would exceed your expectations. I know, I use a Mountainsmith product daily.
Thanks! great tip, I hadn't heard of them before

anyone else looking for a cheap pack should check this out:
Laurel pack -- $65 on sale, 2600 c.i.
comes with 2 trekking poles(!!... sure, they're probably not amazing quality, but most trekking poles alone cost at least as much as this bag)
several outside pockets,
hydration compatible,
detachable top pocket that converts into lumbar bag,
looks like the bottom area holds a sleeping bag (built in compression straps),
made of recycled materials,
and comes in both regular and short torso sizes.
originally $179. wow.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm not sure if its been said, cause I just started browsing this thread, but REI has an excellent return policy. If you're a member (which you probably should be, if you're a gear whore or the like), you can basically return anything for just about any reason. Best yet, they take all the returns that were the wrong size, or the wrong color, or had a minor defect, and sell them once or twice a year at a tent sale type thing for extremely cheap prices. Its a great place to pick up that expensive pair of boots you've been wanting but haven't had enough money for, or something. Half the stuff is 100% good to go, and was returned because of some aesthetic reason. Most of the broken stuff isn't that bad, and could be fixed pretty easily with some know-how.

Also, as said before, their in-house brand is killer, a great deal for the money. And, at least in my experience, all the staff has been extremely knowledgeable and willing to help out with any questions you might have. One of my most favorite places to shop.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

bethanyb
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bethanyb » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:25 pm

Y.T. wrote:
bebaker22 wrote:I have a Kelty bag that I use for hiking and camping, although I am using a much smaller bag for my BOB. It has room for a hydration system and a few small break away pieces. iloveash has the same backpack and we both love it. I think I paid maybe 60 for it. I can't find it on their website, I didn't look very hard though. My local surplus store has a bunch of them though.
111t also had good things to say about Kelty. Definitely on my list. Thanks. :) You don't have to trouble yourself taking a pic, but if you (or iloveash) happen to know the model I'll look it up.

edit: btw, Kelty also has a Tactical line, some even have PALS webbing: http://www.kelty.com/kelty/products.php?type=2&cat=all
I'm in the middle of packing and getting ready to move and god only know how long it'll take me to unpack. I'll look online tonight, I'm sure it shouldn't take me long to find it.
I survived Zombie Con 2008! Filtered Manbath - A little bit of shame in every sip.
I survived Zombie Con 2009! There's is more than one Highway M off of Missouri Hwy 8.
I survived Zombie Con 2010! I jumped, skipped and flipped.
I barely survived Zombie Con 2011! 5 days in the hospital, 3 in the ICU

Glockgirl26

Post by Glockgirl26 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:48 am

I just ordered that Kelty women's backpack from Sierra Trading post, and when I got my confirmation email, it listed my cost even cheaper...only $26 before shipping. :!: :!: Holy smokes. Can't beat that price! It may not be my BOB but for sure my GHB could use an upgrade anyway.

Happy camper. :D
Blessed be the Lord my God, who teacheth my hands to fight, and my fingers to war. Psalms 144:1

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:36 pm

Sierra Trading Post is having a CRAZY sale on Mountainsmith bags right now (see post above). Like, 50-75% off. Most of the bags are in the $50-70 range, originally $100-200.

TheGuy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead, 28 days, Dawn of the dead. Still laughing about zombieland

Post by TheGuy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:52 am

I purchased a Blackhawk Stingray for my BOB. So far, very please with comfort and construction. Material is light. I am able to hold 3 MRE's(still in package), clothing, two 1 liter bottles, and other supplies. The pack has done well on several 10-12 mile hikes. Purchased at a surplus store. I prefer of the idea of being light and low profile. Check it out! $180.00 and includes 100oz water system.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=65SR00&C=C0861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:51 pm

everyone but me is getting a bag :lol:
My bf just got the MOLLE Assault Pack (124, Black) for $50 from Cheaper Than Dirt (here are the other colors). He's super-psyched to get a tactical bag for that price range. I'm super-psyched he's putting together his BOB. ;) I'll try to post a review when he gets it.

btw, if you're ordering from Cheaper Than Dirt check out wtr100's post with a $10 discount code.

-----------------------
ETA: The bag arrived.
While the listing pic looks grey, the bag is indeed black.

The listing says 20x19x12 which would be 4560 c.i. and sounded kinda crazy sounding for a bag of this size. So I measured the pack and all 3 compartments add up to closer to 2200 c.i. That 20x19x12 is the outer measurements when the bag is full, not the volume.

Overall, cool bag. Some things that aren't apparent from the picture:
  • - Lots of little compartments and mesh pockets inside.
    - The main MOLLE-covered compartment actually has a side zip along the MOLLE gusset in addition to the top zip compartment.
    - The bottom panel has 4 webbing loops to attach a sleeping bag or other item.
    - The main compartment unzips all the way down so it's a front load, not a top load bag. The main compartment also has double zippers so you can just unzip a bit from the bottom to pull something out if you want, instead of opening the whole bag.
    - The back padded panel unzips on 2 sides and has a slit at the top where you can pull through a webbing loop. You can use this pocket to hold a hydration bladder, maybe two, and use the loop to hold the bladder.
    - The main compartment and bottom outer compartment have drainage holes (grommets), which isn't great for dust so they'll probably have to be covered.
    - Well padded lumbar support.
    - There's a strange velcro'd rectangle at the top center of the bag that won't actually come off so I can't figure out what it's for.
    - There are two velcro flaps on either side that cover a narrow oval shaped slit. I have no idea what these are for.
-----------------------

Glockgirl26, holy cow, I can't believe it got marked down again to $26. That almost makes me want try it to see if I get it for $26 too. Rock on for you. :)

TheGuy, I've seen many other ZSers recommend the Blackhawk bags as well. Glad to hear you're pleased with it.
Last edited by Y.T. on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Glockgirl26

Post by Glockgirl26 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:17 am

Y.T. wrote:Glockgirl26, holy cow, I can't believe it got marked down again to $26. That almost makes me want try it to see if I get it for $26 too. Rock on for you. :)
Only $34 shipped. My tracking info says it's scheduled to be delivered on Sept 3, so I'll let you know how I like it when it shows up. At that price I couldn't pass it up! :D
Blessed be the Lord my God, who teacheth my hands to fight, and my fingers to war. Psalms 144:1

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am

I am going to throw in my 2 cents for Mystery Ranch.

http://mysteryranch.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

NWmountaineer
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn Of The Dead (2004 version), Shaun Of The Dead

Post by NWmountaineer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:10 am

You might want to look into this one;

I used this model as the base to build my first BOB/INCH bag.

It has external pockets for water bottles and cooking equipment (which I think is a big plus, even "tacticool" models sometimes don't have that and have to be bought extra), it isn't huge, but isn't small either, has external attachments for radio and GPS in the shoulder straps, can be tailored for extra pockets, and comes in neutral colors which blend in to both rural and urban environments extremely well. Overall, probably one of the best "civvie" Assault packs out there that has features that dollar for dollar probably trump some other outfitters.

Pro's; suprisingly modular and almost semi-tactical from a company like REI/Jansport, good fit, waist strap for extended work/walking, radio/gps loop in shoulder strap, aforementioned water/cooking stuff pouches, carabiner loops. I like a bag that's thought out around what you're going to need and need most often. No point in digging for your radio or water bottle. This bag has it thought out.

Con's; stiff outer soft shell frame, good for hiking, not good for packing gear, found it hard to cram gear into on extended hikes. Has a pretty high cubic capacity, but depending on what your carrying it may not fit. I actually had a hard time cramming some stuff into here depending on the situation. That I found limiting.

Overall, I liked it. And used it as a base model in building my own first BOB.

I got mine at REI for 69$ or so after tax. Normally they are like 99-120$ Just my HMO, good luck with your search.

Dan BGTC

Post by Dan BGTC » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:05 pm

I suggest the Kelty "Commander 2500". I can't find it online but I got it at the Sportsmans Warehouse. I'm 5 10 and 175lbs. and the bag fits very well. I wear it mountain biking, canoeing and have even taken it caving. I think it fits your specs pretty well; $99, bladder, internal frame, lots of external pouches, pull out rain cover, and several internal pockets. The only problem you might have with it is the color...digicam...but the rain cover is tan and pops on and off in seconds.
I have a large Alice pack as my primary BOB. It is well stocked but pretty heavy and awkward. If haste is an issue I plan on using my Kelty as my BOB.

111t

Post by 111t » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:15 pm

This is another military Kelty:
http://www.amronintl.com/diving/products.cfm?id=631" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It looks to be similar to the specs on my redtail 3100, but with slightly larger capacity and made of codra, which is more durable than on my consumer bag. My consumer bag is plenty tough, and was 1/3 the cost. Still i Drool over this one... :roll:
It comes in all the TactiCool colors too. The grass is always Anaconda-greener on the other side of the fence.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Hooligan

Post by Hooligan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:55 pm

I think for you a backpacking style pack might be ideal. They make many in woman sizes. They have great suspension systems. They are pretty durable in general Also. I think it is the Kelty Cloud that the top can be removed and used as a day pack type thing. http://www.campsaver.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=kty0038" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; i know it is bigger then you would like most likely but you don't have to fill it up.

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:03 pm

I went to Sportsman's Warehouse today and looked at some of the recommended bags in person:

The Kelty Redwing is larger than it appears in online pics, with some nice features. I can see why people use it for a GHB or small BOB. It comes in both a standard/men's and a women's version. It looks like the Jansport posted by NWmountaineer above is similar.

There are 2 long shallow pockets, one on each side, which unzip vertically. They look like they might hold some tall narrow water bottles like disposable store bought 1L bottles (Poland Spring, etc.), 1L or .75L Camelbak bottles, or narrow 24oz Nalgene bottles. Would probably also be good for soem food bars or a rolled up shirt. There is also a mesh elastic pocket on each side, below the vertical pockets, which could hold a wider plastic bottle or canteen like a 24-32oz Nalgene. The inside has a plastic pouch to hold water bladders, and a hole in the center back at the top to feed the drink tube through. I didn't see any kind of hook or loop though to hold the bladder in place. Looks like you could fit 2 bladders side by side in there.

The straps and belt are well padded. The Kelty packaging recommended wearing the belt above the hips, at the top of the hip bone (personally I don't like belly belts as I don't think the soft midsection is the place to be putting weight rather than a strong hip bone). It allows you to adjust the vertical placement of the belt through the use of some velcro inside the belt slot. However, I'm long waisted and small shouldered so I found that at the lowest setting the belt was still too high. In order to get the shoulder straps to actually sit on my shoulders I had to pull them so short/tight that the pack rose up too high for the belt to be in the right place. I found this to be a problem with many packs, though some of the women's versions were a better fit because the shoulder straps were placed better to begin with.

The sales person recommended Teton bags, saying they were as good as Kelty but you didn't have to pay extra for the Kelty name. I checked out the Scout model. It had a number of well-sized outside pockets, several compression straps, and good easy load lifter straps. The shoulder straps and belt were well padded. One nice feature of the Teton bags is they give you about 10" leeway to adjust the placement of the shoulder harness in relation to the top of the bag/belt to give you a better fit. For example I was able to move the shoulder harness up a few notches to give me the right torso length. The Teton bags also had a nice lumbar support.

The Marmot packs had a great back feature which was a mesh panel suspended from the pack frame to keep your back cool. The only size they had in stock was the 1900 c.i., which was too small for a BOB, so I didn't get to check out their larger models.

I wanted to try on some Eberlestock bags, but unfortunately the only model they had in stock was the "Just One" bag. That's the huge, add-on and make it more huge bag. Apparently hunting season is starting soon here so most of the bags were sold out.

ETA: I was able to check out some packs at Summit Hut today:

The Gregory Deva 60 looks like a good pack and not overwhelmingly large. 3600 c.i., a good amount of outside pockets, with a bottom zip access and divider. It has a suspended mesh + padding back similar to the Marmot. It looks very comfortable.

The Kelty Moraine also looks like a good bag, but not anywhere near the back padding or venting as the Gregory Deva and without the bottom zip access of the Deva. It comes in 2 sizes: 3600 c.i. or 3300 c.i. It has 2 shallow side pockets but a huge front pocket.
Last edited by Y.T. on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”