TafkanX's EDC

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TafkanX
Favorite Zombie Movies: The early Romero flicks, the Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later (not so sure about Weeks), Zombieland.

TafkanX's EDC

Post by TafkanX » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:15 am

Since I know you are all just dying to know what I carry on my person every day to deal with those pesky gremlins that pop up every now and again, I thought I'd go ahead and post it up for all to see. If you're still with me, the following is my EDC in all of it's majesty.

This is everything together in one shot. Not pictured are a 32oz. Nalgene bottle, my cell phone, an Altoids tin pulling duty as a cigarette case, and my wallet.

Going clockwise, we have a Gerber Multitool (I forget the model, I've had it for over five years now) and accompanying bit set, a CRKT M16-10KZ folding knife, and a AA Maglite with Nite-Ize LED upgrade. This particular group of kit (particularly being secured in a Nite-Ize Pock-Its XL) is what gets me called Batman from time to time. I'm pretty happy with all of these, but I am looking to upgrade the multitool as I have managed to break several of the inner bits over the years, mostly by prying with things which were not designed to pry. Probably the Leatherman Charge TTi. Wouldn't mind upgrading to a Surefire too (been looking at the 6PD Defender), but I digress. Onwards, then.

Here we have, from left to right, a Molleskin notebook, a Zebra F-701 pen, and a Zippo case lighter with leather belt holster. I'm pretty certain the pen and notebook are heavily influenced from my time in the Navy. The same could be said of the Zippo (being a smoker does it's part as well). Seriously though, it really irks me that most people don't carry something to write with. Moving on.

Here, from top to bottom (Is all this direction-changing keeping you on your toes?) are my keys, notable only because of the nifty Nite-Ize S-Biner with which I attach them to my belt loop, and a Mini-Bic in the C4 case for when the Zippo runs out of steam (or lighter fluid, whichever the case may be).

That just about sums it up. Nothing grandiose but they do help with aforementioned daily gremlins. I didn't go into great detail as per the function of every item, but my assumption is that they are fairly intuitive. If, however, I have assumed incorrectly (as I am wont to do), do feel free to direct your inquiries and/or comments (flames?) below.
Taf's EDC
No longer in California but still a Cali boy at heart.
ImageImage

IllicitDreams
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most anything Romero, Shaun Of The Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, you know the basics...

Re: TafkanX's EDC

Post by IllicitDreams » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:29 am

How's that 701 handle? I was looking at one at the store the other day and considered picking one up.
ImageImage
My Pocket Survival Kit/My EDC/My Blog

CERT Volunteer, Amateur Radio Operator, SKYWARN Certified Storm Spotter

don vito
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, 28 weeks later, i am legend.

Post by don vito » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:38 am

nice setup (reminds me I've got to post mine)

I prefer a parker pen personally, had one that lasted me for over 7 years till someone borrowed and lost it, the new one is over two years and still ticking or is it clicking?

In regards to multitools I recomend the swiss tool from victorinox they are build like a tank, mine has lasted me for over 6-7 years now and survived through my service days. I'm a SAK man and can't help it, I carry the soldier as my edc,

TafkanX
Favorite Zombie Movies: The early Romero flicks, the Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later (not so sure about Weeks), Zombieland.

Post by TafkanX » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:58 am

IllicitDreams wrote:How's that 701 handle? I was looking at one at the store the other day and considered picking one up.
I dig it. It's very similar to the 402, but with more metal and less plastic. I've actually been thinking about cannibalizing the 402 to create a hybrid 701/402 pen to exaggerate this fact, as the parts are mostly compatible. The knurled fore-end on the 701 isn't quite as grippy as the rubber on the 402, but I dig it anyway. I've been in love with Zebra pens since the 301. They're not quite as cool as the Fisher Space Pen, but they write very well all the same. Beats the hell out of those infernal G.I. pens.
don vito wrote:nice setup (reminds me I've got to post mine)

I prefer a parker pen personally, had one that lasted me for over 7 years till someone borrowed and lost it, the new one is over two years and still ticking or is it clicking?

In regards to multitools I recomend the swiss tool from victorinox they are build like a tank, mine has lasted me for over 6-7 years now and survived through my service days. I'm a SAK man and can't help it, I carry the soldier as my edc,
I have also been considering the Swiss Tool, but the L/M Charge TTi has titanium and S30V steel going for it. Good call on the SA Soldier though, it will probably replace the CRKT after I upgrade my multitool.

*edited to unfuck code
Taf's EDC
ImageImage

IllicitDreams
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most anything Romero, Shaun Of The Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, you know the basics...

Post by IllicitDreams » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:28 am

TafkanX wrote:
IllicitDreams wrote:How's that 701 handle? I was looking at one at the store the other day and considered picking one up.
I dig it. It's very similar to the 402, but with more metal and less plastic. I've actually been thinking about cannibalizing the 402 to create a hybrid 701/402 pen to exaggerate this fact, as the parts are mostly compatible. The knurled fore-end on the 701 isn't quite as grippy as the rubber on the 402, but I dig it anyway. I've been in love with Zebra pens since the 301. They're not quite as cool as the Fisher Space Pen, but they write very well all the same. Beats the hell out of those infernal G.I. pens.
I love my 301, but I keep breaking them at work. So it looks like I'll be picking up a 701 soon.
ImageImage
My Pocket Survival Kit/My EDC/My Blog

CERT Volunteer, Amateur Radio Operator, SKYWARN Certified Storm Spotter

TafkanX

Post by TafkanX » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:44 am

Oh, it's definitely tougher than the 301. I'd also say the knurled metal grip is grippier than the checkered plastic on the 301 (though, as previously stated, not as much as the 402). You won't regret it. Another thing I've noticed, the "click" is much stealthier (for whatever that's worth).
Taf's EDC
ImageImage

TafkanX

Post by TafkanX » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Update: My EDC recently got a facelift as my venerable Gerber tool was replaced with an SOG Powerlock, the Mini-Maglite was exchanged for a Maglite XL50 and my CRKT was replaced with a Gerber Freeman Guide folding knife (drop point). Pics to follow when I'm feeling less lazy.
Taf's EDC
ImageImage

TafkanX

Post by TafkanX » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:48 pm

UPDATE: As promised (ages ago, I know), new pictures! Well, picture. So here goes:

Pictured (in no particular order):

1. Gerber Freeman Drop Point Folding Knife
2. SOG PowerLock Multitool
3. Mag-Lite LED XL50 Flashlight
4. Altoids Tin w/ Cigarettes
5. BIC Cigarette Lighter (I usually have at least two of these on me)
6. Zebra F-301 Bold Writing Pen
7. Split Keyring w/ Various Keys
8. Notepad
Taf's EDC
ImageImage

Bahamut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by Bahamut » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:15 pm

I wear the Nite-Ize Pock-Its XL too. The setup is about the same as mine...only I have a tire gauge from when I had a leaky tire that need replacing. Also added in a some duct tape and nail clippers (my nails grow fast).
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

TheStray

Post by TheStray » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:58 pm

My EDC belt kit is damn near the same thing. Even got the F-301 but I have my toys in a Maxpedition Janus pouch. Like the look on the SOG power lock. I rock the L/M Surge I picked up 5 years ago. Looking to replace it and now I have something else to look into before pulling the trigger. Thanks for the review and update.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”