Man's daily purse?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

stealthbeast

Man's daily purse?

Post by stealthbeast » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:56 pm

It seems that every form of convinient bagwear has been socially outlawed as unmanly. Women have the luxury of purses. They put everything that they feel they may need in it. Men may not need to carry makeup and other women-only products, but that doesn't mean we don't want to carry stuff =(

The ultimate purpose of this topic.... What are some potential pouches/bags that you can carry (Preferably with a convenient sling/strap or something), around home depot without getting snickered at >=( Whether with a pouch, a purse, or a fanny pack, there just doesn't seem to be a way carry stuff in anything other than a briefcase or backpack without looking queer.

I put this in the bugout-gear section because people tend to put their car's "get to their real bug out bag" bag in here, and this man-purse would probably act as a "Get to your 'get to your real bug out bag' bag" bag.... My brain itches.

The only idea I could think of is the previously mentioned briefcase, but it lacks a strap, it's a hard case, and it's usually thin (More suitible for papers and folders than gear).
Last edited by stealthbeast on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gingersam

Re: Man's daily purse?

Post by Gingersam » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:03 pm

How about your pocket?
Why not a backpack?
At a stretch a small camera bag.

stealthbeast

Post by stealthbeast » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Yeah, but the idea is to have more carry's space that what your pocket's can contain, without having to go to the extreme of lugging around a backpack.

Gingersam

Post by Gingersam » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:18 pm

Get a smaller backpack. Without looking like a queer you really don't have much choice. The extra room in a backpack may even prove useful day to day.

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm a man's man and I'll take the pepsi challenge if necessary. I carry a Maxpedition Neatfreak and couldn't give a rats ass if someone thinks I look effeminate. They can pound sand for all I care. :)

It also fits nicely inside of other bags, say a briefcase for bringing it to work.

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:22 pm

I used to have some nice school bags back in my college days. Soft sided, looked kinda like a briefcase, but with a shoulder strap. Can get some very nice looking leather ones at Wilson's Leather and other similar places, definitely masculine and professional looking, yet don't scream out "military nutcase". Sometimes they are called messenger bags or map cases.

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

avenger
Location: Central Texas or, somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

Post by avenger » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:25 pm

*shrug* I don't think anyone other than my S.O. has ever looked at my Maxpedition Jumbo in basic black and snickered. I put a velcro bat symbol from TAD on it to deflect the "queer" looks (now I just look like a geek). The only thing that go into my pocket is whatever folder I'm carrying.
I've carried the "Bat Bag" into just about every place I usually go (I do tend to leave it in the car at the surplus store, unless I'm looking for something to go into the bag- only because of the store's no bag sign on the door) and the only second looks I've ever gotten is when I pull something completely unexpected out of the bag (like a pen :roll: ).
Aside from that, I think the "queer" tag comes more from the individual carrying the bag- Carson Cressly would look queer in body armor and carrying an M-60, while Arnold Schwartzenegger could have a Gucci purse over his shoulder and still look straight.
-A-

Gingersam

Post by Gingersam » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:31 pm

I was thinking that. If your that worried about looking odd put something so bad asse on it no one will think to question you.

arc_second

Post by arc_second » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Messenger bags rock. I carry one. It's the new briefcase. I can fit my laptop in it if I want to, it's got loops for pens and notebooks inside, small pockets for cameras or hard drives or ipods or flashlights or knives or granola bars. I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I went and got a fancy "tacticool" one where the flap doubles as a map pocket and i can attach other pouches to the outside so I also acquired a water bottle pouch and a little first aid kit pouch. It's light green and with the flap to cover the webbing it looks pretty normal. Someday I'll get out the seam ripper and take that brand label off.

You can either carry it like a briefcase with the handle strap on top or there's a strap to let you sling it over your shoulder or, what I do on my motorcycle, is sling it over my opposite shoulder and push the bag onto my back. It's out of the way and I still have quick access to it.

When I was looking for it i found lots of similar messenger bags by other companies so there's a lot of variety out there if you want something smaller or larger or with more pockets or whatever.

-James
Stop your whining and bleed like a man.

Regret

Post by Regret » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:34 pm

I've been using the CountyComm EOD bag for a while now and people looked at me funny at first (I work in a very 'masculine' environment), but once people realized I actually carried a lot of useful stuff in my EDC 'murse' those comments went away. I like my bag because it can be shoulder carried, but can be worn as a butt-pack as well.
Church: What a shitty medical school.
Tucker: Yeah, where'd you go, the University of Jamaica?
Doc: Oh please, I wouldn't be caught dead on that campus. I went to Jamaica State! We were the Jamaica State Fighting Irish!

EeeNinja
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Army of Darkness
Evil Dead I &II
Dead Alive

Post by EeeNinja » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:38 pm

I just picked up a Maxpedition Sabrecat. Its my EDC as my GHB for my BOV to get to my BIL to get to my BOB in case I need to go to my BOL.

How's that for head spinning?

I fold the hip pack straps inside and use a shoulder strap. I think its about as manly as a murse can get and its black so its tacti-cool.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/vie ... roduct=562" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

avenger
Location: Central Texas or, somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

Post by avenger » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:46 pm

Gingersam wrote:I was thinking that. If your that worried about looking odd put something so bad asse on it no one will think to question you.
http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/a ... atches.htm

They've added stuff since last time I was there...dammit

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:51 pm

I carry a manbag/murse with me every day, it is a Blackhawk BattleBag(DiamondBack Tactical also makes a version). Has a ton of EDC gear in it, everything from QuickClot to a hazmat approved face mask. It even has a velcro spot inside for a holster and a couple mags(which is where my G26 normally lives). Every once and a while someone will make a comment like "Dude how much crap do you carry with you on a regular basis?" but I dont think I have ever had someone actually make fun of me for having it. Though the fact that I am 6'4 and have a bunch of tattoos helps with that. Seriously though, I recommend a EDC bag of some type to anyone who is serious about their disaster/shtf preps.

Contents:

In Pouch on the Shoulder Strap:
~ Chapstick
~ Bottle of Super Glue
~ Small bottle of Hand sanitizer
~ 2 x Clicky Ball Point Pens
~ Bic Lighter
~ 9 x Imodium chewable tabs
~ small 10 count bottle of 500mg ibuprofen
~ map of the local area
~ Set of Ear Plugs
~ Roll of Medical Tape

Hanging on the side of the bag:
~ My keys
~ OD Green "O Neg" blood type tag

In Map flap pouch:
~ Folding Map of Arizona
~ Folding Map of the Phoenix Metro Area
~ Pack of Hoo-Ahhs towels
~ Pocket US Constitution

On Pouches on the outside of the bag itself:
~ Gerber Multi-Tool
~ Large CRKT Crawford/Kasper Knife
~ LED Headlamp
~ Ear Plugs
~ SpecOps Brand Recon Wrap in Desert Tri-Color
~ Garmin 520 GPS/Radio
~ Albuterol Inhaler(Just got over a bad cough and the Doc put me on the inhaler)

Inside the bag in the Velcro section:
~ Glock 26 w/ grip extender
~ 2 x Glock 17 Magazines

Inside the bag in the main pouch:
~ Rescue Straw (Water filter Straw)
~ Collapsible cup 8oz
~ MSR Water Bag (1 Liter)
~ Bottle of Water Purifier Tabs
~ Bottle of Iodine Tabs
~ Spare Set of Keys for Truck and Apt
~ 100ft 550 Cord
~ 2 x Clicky Pens
~ Large Black Marker
~ 4 x Green Glowsticks
~ Maglight LED flashlight
~ Surefire Battery Holder (Holds 6 123a and one xenon bulb)
~ Pair of leather palmed Mechanics Gloves
~ 20 x Zipties
~ Pack of Hoo-Ahhs towels
~ HazMat Approved face mask
~ Bic Lighter
~ Seven Oceans Brand Survival Ration pack (3600 calories)
~ 10 Feet of Ductape wraped around a ZS Card

Medical stuff inside main pouch:
~ 4 x Kerlix Rolls
~ 2 x Izzy Bandages
~ 4 x Cravats
~ 2 x QuickClot
~ CAT Tourniquet
~ Small non emergency medical kit (band-aids and such)
~ 2 x Burn Gel
~ 9 x Doses of Imodium Advanced Chew-ables
~ 4 x Pair of Black Talon Gloves
~ CPR Mask
~ Multiple Rolls of Medical Tape
~ EpiPen
~ Insect Sting Pen
~ Sam Splint
~ Trauma Scissors
-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

stealthbeast

Post by stealthbeast » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:07 pm

This stuff is awsome.

Basically untactical, tac-gear that with non-camoflaging, camo-gear for maximal queercarnage, so tacticool, that you don't DARE doubt these men's manliness lol.

So now that we've outlined these effective man-purses... What do you guys put in em?

CommonHighrise
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.

Post by CommonHighrise » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:14 pm

I get the occasional look, and odd complaint (from the girlfriend usually) when I carry my MaxPed Versipak (nope, not Collossus, Jumbo, or Fatboy, just plain little old Versi).

Like stated above, if youre feeling less-than-manly with your murse of choice, just slap some badass patches on it, and hang a Leatherman Skeletool from a 'biner. Real 'biner though, not those silly little Walmart things.
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

Gingersam

Post by Gingersam » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:17 pm

Why don't you be even more manly. Kill something furry and make your own bag out of its skin. I don't think anyone would dare question you then.

stealthbeast

Post by stealthbeast » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Gingersam wrote:Why don't you be even more manly. Kill something furry and make your own bag out of its skin. I don't think anyone would dare question you then.
Oh, ok. Lemme do that real quick. brb

dblagent

Post by dblagent » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:27 pm

Same type of thing I'm looking at right now actually. I carry a laptop every day for work, and I do not have an office location, my office is my car and wherever I'm at working on site. Because I have to carry a laptop I think a "tactical" laptop bag would work well for me. I normally carry the smallest usable laptop I can, mine is currently 12.5 inches long, 9.5 deep and a little under an inch think at the widest point. The benefit in this case is I can carry a smaller bag, does anyone know of some good choices that would fit a laptop this size?

I was looking at the countycomm bail out bag as a nice inexpensive option, I think this will work looking at the specs, but I guess it depends on how they measured it.

TheMechanic
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD '78

Post by TheMechanic » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:35 pm

I usually carry my 'Indiana Jones' WW2 British gas mask bag with leather shoulder strap. It's khaki canvas and is very very plain looking. I've never had anyone comment on it whatsoever. Just kind of blends in, doesn't draw attention to itself and it serves it's purpose well.

I tried to carry around a Maxpedition Fatboy, but that thing was a man purse.
"The future is always changing, in the largest of ways by the smallest of things."

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:24 pm

Maxped Jumbo. Home Despot, small hardware stores, gunshops and army navy stores all get positive inquires. Every place else it gets ignored.

The only person who doesn't like it is the very swishy assistant manager of a local sporting goods store, but after I told him could (a) ask all the ladies in the store to turn over their purses or (b) he could explain his superiors what the sexual discrimination lawsuit was about he shut up.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:49 pm

My EDC bag.

No one laughs at my bag or I kill them with it. :D

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:33 pm

Q "What are you carrying in your purse" [snicker snicker]
A "The balls of every jerk that laughed at it!"

I used to get jokes about wearing a camo jacket to work.
When I explained that... "My militia is on field maneuvers this week and Im required to wear at least one piece of camo clothing..."

Im a big guy 6'3" 300 lbs and Im about 28% body fat
(your average athelete is about 22%, olympic atheletes are average about 17%)
so Yeah I got a spare tire and a little junk in the trunk but Im not Fat Albert either

They might laugh, but not for long. All it takes is a quick dart of the eyes and laughing stops.

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:39 pm

dblagent wrote:does anyone know of some good choices that would fit a laptop this size?

I was looking at the countycomm bail out bag as a nice inexpensive option, I think this will work looking at the specs, but I guess it depends on how they measured it.
I used to carry a Maxpedition Jumbo, but it just wasn't big enough for work (I got tired of carrying my laptop & lunch separately). I bought the Force Multiplier bag from countycomm and transferred all my various Maxpedition pouches to it:

(Kinda overkill, I know :P ). But I like having all my EDC stuff in the exterior pouches, with room for my laptop/lunch/books/magazines/gameboy/etc. inside the main compartment.

I added the requisite patches so everyone knows I'm a badass:

Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:50 pm

I've seen some neutral "murses" posted on the forum. I'm not a guy, but FWIW in the city (NY), guys carry bags all the time. Nothing femme about it. They're out all day, they have to carry stuff, no biggie. :) Most carry messenger-style bags as they're practical and fit in just about anywhere. You can do the military style thing if you want, but from what I've seen any basic messenger bag or stylish backpack will do fine for day to day. You can check out Manhattan Portage for ideas (they're kind of the original), but that type is sold everywhere in varying styles and sizes. You can probably also use a small duffel bag, something that looks like what you'd carry to and from the gym. If you're in college it's easier because you can just carry a backpack.

IMO any guy who slags another guy for carrying a bag needs to grow some pubic hair, move out of his mom's basement and finally get a Friday night date with something other than his left hand and a Maxim magazine. I mean, really, it's so socially stunted to be that 1-dimensionally macho it borders on retardation. ;)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Return to “Bug Out Gear”