$5 Gear Project: PAKFAK

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CommonHighrise
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.

$5 Gear Project: PAKFAK

Post by CommonHighrise » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:55 pm

You have a FAK for your fleshy butt, but do you carry a FAK for your pack? Tears and rips suck, and they suck harder out in the middle of nowhere. Sure, one can slap together a basic bandaid repair with duct tape and deternimation, but at some point youre gonna want to mend that. This kit also works well for non-pack damage, such as clothing.

What youll need;
Film canister
Duct tape
550 cord or similar
drinking straw
thread
needles, safety pins, thimble
Field repair sidelock buckles (if you dont got em, Ill show you how to make them)

1- Cut the straw down to three lengths, a little smaller than the length of the film tube, or about 2".

2- Take one length of straw, and feed the end of your string through. Tie it off into a slipknot.

3- Draw the slipknot tight, and center the knot in the middle of the straw.

4- Now wind, wind, wind your thread onto the straw. I only did enough here for you to get the idea. You can put a lot of thread onto this, up to about 1/2" diameter. Keep about 1/4" bare on each end to help it stay on. Helpful trick for winding the string off the bobbin is to place it inside the duct tape so it doesnt roll away.

5- Once you have as much on as you please, just cut a slit into one end of the straw and slip the loose end of string through.

6- Take the other two peices of straw, your film bottle, and a couple inches of duct tape.

7- And tape the straws to either side of the bottle like so. Since your probably half-cranky from winding all that damn thread, feel free to take a shot of liqour from your new ROCKET CUP.

8- Pass some 550 cord through both straws, forming a U with the two tails at the open end of the canister.

9- And wrap with several feet of duct tape. I only did about 5' here.

10- Will look like so.

11- Trip the tails of the paracord.

12- Slide out one leg of the loop and thread on a couple feild repair buckles.

13- Slip a couple sewing needles under the thread spool you made.

14- And toss inside the canister, along with the other supplies. You can fit plenty of thread, pins, and needles inside one of these if you pack it smart.

15- Snap on the cap, and tie it down securely with a knot with the loose tails of paracord...

16- ...or a spiffy slide-lock.

Feild Expedient Repair Buckles-

These are spare side-lock buckles to match those on your pack. The bars that the webbing is looped onto is split. This way, if a buckle snaps, you wouldnt have to cut and re-sew its anchor point. Of course, if its the adjusting side of the buckle, you can just feed the webbing through as normal. Make sure your replacement buckles are compatible with those on your pack, that way you wont have to replace both if only one side snaps.

To make, simply take a sharp pair of wire cutters to the buckles, and cut a diagonal notch out of the middle of the bars.
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

E

Re: $5 Gear Project: PAKFAK

Post by E » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:13 pm

That is a FANTASTIC idea man. I honestly never considered putting something like this in my bag.

What's better is I have all the material here! I'll probably make one before I go to bed :D
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:25 pm

I like. I"d probably stuff cotton balls or something intot he straw, just so it isn't wasted space.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

CommonHighrise

Post by CommonHighrise » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:37 pm

ironraven wrote:I like. I"d probably stuff cotton balls or something intot he straw, just so it isn't wasted space.
Sonofa...I forgot that bit. I had it in my notes for building this. To stuff a wad of cotton into the straw, for use as a pincushion mid-repair. Dropping a needle in the woods is a lost needle. Dropping a needle into a sleeping bag or tent is a bad wakeup in the middle of the night.
ImageImage

BethDeath

Post by BethDeath » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:44 pm

Rocket cup!! :D

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:49 pm

very cool. you could put anything in that little cannister. I dig it. :)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

BigDanInTX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead (TV Counts, right?)
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead ;-]

Post by BigDanInTX » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:16 pm

LMAO... that's pretty ingenious. Plus, you can use a similar setup for w/e you need. The straw/wrap thing gave me an idea for fishing line... ;-]

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:30 pm

CommonHighrise wrote:You have a FAK for your fleshy butt, but do you carry a FAK for your pack?
Yep, although you're correct that most people seem to overlook these for some reason. Very clever how you integrated the "rocket cup", duct tape, thread, and the paracord into one unit.

One thing that I would suggest for your kit would be some larger needles. Singer makes a really nice 7-piece craft needle assortment that includes carpet, canvas, leather, upholstery, and mattress style needles and cost less than two bucks. The 1/2 circle curved needles are very handy if you ever need to repair something thick or heavy like a shoulder strap.

If you ever opt to build a larger kit, some 4" x 4" adhesive backed nylon patches, a small vial of super glue, a couple of tent pole splints, and 10' of heavy duty mason's line are all worthwhile additions.

Jim

Razor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Razor » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:48 pm

Damn good post I like the rocket cut idea as a way of holding extra duct tape, 550 and what ever else.
Absit invidia.

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:38 am

Yea, I never thought about the field expedient clips. Now I have some cutting to do.
ElricFate's DIY .22/.177 Bullet Trap
ZombieSquad Reservist
I survived Zombie Con 2014/2015 (Tickcon)/2016

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:21 am

Never thought about field expedient clips. Good idea, gotta add that to mine.
ZombieSquad Reservist

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:26 pm

elricfate wrote:Never thought about field expedient clips. Good idea, gotta add that to mine.

Yea, but you were already here about 3 hours ago.......... :lol:
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

elricfate

Post by elricfate » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:33 pm

DON'T TREAD ON ME wrote:
elricfate wrote:Never thought about field expedient clips. Good idea, gotta add that to mine.

Yea, but you were already here about 3 hours ago.......... :lol:
Funnily enough, the browser timed out, etc. Damn SQL errors.
ZombieSquad Reservist

CommonHighrise

Post by CommonHighrise » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:30 pm

Paragon wrote:One thing that I would suggest for your kit would be some larger needles...some 4" x 4" adhesive backed nylon patches, a small vial of super glue, a couple of tent pole splints, and 10' of heavy duty mason's line are all worthwhile additions.
Ah, all excellent suggestions. +1 on getting larger needles, a lot easier to thread in less than comfy situations, like at night or in the rain, and can be used easier w/o a thimble. The other items would dictate having a larger kit, which wouldnt be terrible either. Using something the size of a tri-fold nylon wallet would let you add even more patching items, as well as tent-repair equipment (I do gotta make me some pole splints).
ImageImage

milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:18 am

Great job Commonhighrise.

This is a great kit, due to the size and materials used, everyone should be able to put one together with stuff laying around the house. The larger needles is a good idea, but also some stronger thread might be in order.

They sell little mini vials of super glue that would fit in there as well.

Maybe some of these?
They're made for bicycle tube repair and are the size of a quarter. But they should stick to other materials like rain gear and maybe silnylon? 2 bucks @ walmart

Just a thought, Miles

Milkboot

Post by Milkboot » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:39 am

Those do kind of suck, you can get some for just a tiny bit more from a bike shop that have some glue on them that will really stick to anything, some even when its wet.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:03 am

That lid's not going to stay on.

CommonHighrise

Post by CommonHighrise » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:13 pm

Gunny wrote:That lid's not going to stay on.
Note the paracord tied over the top of the lid. If youre still paranoid, tape it on.
ImageImage

Return to “Bug Out Gear”