Survival in a Bottle

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Survival in a Bottle

Post by The Highwayman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm sure by now, most here have heard of the"not quite" Nalgene brand "survival in a bottle" kits that come premade. I hunted around several outdoor outfitter's sites, but was unable to come up with a link. Basically, they have 3 or 4 different variations. They have "survival in a bottle", "first aid in a bottle", "hunter in a bottle", and "fisherman in a bottle", I believe.

What they are, for those who don't know, is a 32 ounce Nalgene bottle, that come pre-packed with a bunch of goodies. For instance, the "survival" variant comes with-
32 oz bottle
carabiner for carrying
flashlight
2 AA batteries
survival blanket
emergency poncho
5-in-1 whistle
reusable ziploc bag

Obviously, they are a bare-bones type of kit, actually more of a gimmick than anything. But, for those loooking to give their friends/loved ones a point to start at, to build a better kit down the road, it's at least a start. You know, something to at least give them the "bug" to get into disaster/emergency planning and preparation. As such, they make a decent, inexpensive gift for birthdays, holidays, etc. Not to mention, there is extra room in the bottle, for you to add other stuff, such as water purification tabs, a compass, etc.

Anyway, my reason for this post is this; many of us already use Nalgene bottles for camping, hunting, rafting, and (in my case) everyday use. Well, I went to the local gun show today, and seeing as how Gander Mountain (clicky) is only a mile from the GS site, and I needed some more Nalgenes, I swung by there. It was also my wife's first trip there (they only opened here about a month or two ago) so we spent some time checking out the guns, the camping areas, etc.

When we got to the Nalgenes, as I was looking at which bottles to get, she noticed the "xxxx in a bottles" at the end of the aisle. Then she remarked how they were neat ( :roll: ) and a pretty good price. So, as I grabbed a few bottles and walked over, she asked how much my 32 oz bottles alone were. Lo and behold, it turns out that the bottles only, as well as the "XXX" kits were the same exact price! We even took them over to one of those self scan things to make sure, and yep- they were both $9.99!

Anyway, the point of this post was this- if any of y'all happen to have a Gander Mountain nearby, and need some Nalgene bottles anyway, why not get the kits in them? You can always use the ziploc inside, or some other small bag, pack, etc. to use to give as a gift to someone you know who is somewhat unprepared (see above). I mean, I doubt most folks on here will need much, if any, of the stuff in them, but why not give the stuff away, since you need the bottle anyway?

Anyways, it was just an idea. Hope this helps someone!

Edit:To change name to "not quite" Nalgene
Last edited by The Highwayman on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

MosinMe

Re: Nalgene Survival in a Bottle

Post by MosinMe » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:08 pm

I went to that same Gander Mountain maybe a month ago and my father had noticed teh same damn thing :lol:

Eh, whatever floats their boat I guess. I should have bought a couple. :?
Jeriah wrote: Chinese jungle boots will rip, rot, shred, and fall apart like your cock after a month in a Thai brothel.
The 4x4 Thread.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by The Highwayman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:22 pm

MosinMe wrote:I went to that same Gander Mountain maybe a month ago and my father had noticed teh same damn thing :lol:

Eh, whatever floats their boat I guess. I should have bought a couple. :?
You were in Ocala? WTF? Shoulda hit me up, we could'a got lunch or something....

RIP Hk33k

MosinMe

Post by MosinMe » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:25 pm

This was before I was aware of your place of residence :(

Btw, did you check this threwad out? http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=32784
Jeriah wrote: Chinese jungle boots will rip, rot, shred, and fall apart like your cock after a month in a Thai brothel.
The 4x4 Thread.

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:49 pm

Target sells them under the Eddie Bauer branding. The ones that I've seen at Gander Mountain - and granted that I haven't shopped there in over a year - were packed in bottles that weren't actual Nalgene brand bottles. They were knock offs. That's why the price tended to even out with that of a real Nalgene bottle. Sometimes the caps melt in the dishwasher, other times they leave a plastic taste in the water, but often they're fine.

The contents tended to be mostly the sort of thing that would get someone killed if they actually wanted to rely on it, or at least pose the risk that they'd provide a dangerous false sense of security. Lights with non alkaline bottles that sometimes last ten minutes, dim and possibly expired light sticks, inferior space blankets, bad multi tools, a few inferior bandages, and sometimes some very non waterproof "outdoor" matches plus a dollar store type poncho are some of the usual contents. Sometimes they'll get ambitious and provide a tea light or candle that will have a wick or formulation that contains lead - banned in the U.S. for candles made here, very common in the third world. The end result provides a few dubious supplies that someone who takes no other action will probably find aren't quite live saving quality while simultaneously demotivating them to put something together themselves. ("Prepare? I already have a survival kit. It's right here in this bottle that I got last year for St. Swiggin's day, ain't it cool?")

For 30 bucks, plus or minus, the AMK "S.O.L." kit or PSK are probably about the cheapest "entry level" kits that contain fairly useable items.

CommonHighrise
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bone Sickness.

Post by CommonHighrise » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:41 pm

Im not gonna go build an uber-sweet bugout bottle, Im not gonna go build an uber-sweet bugout bottle, Im not gonna go build an uber-sweet bugout bottle.

-runs off to grab a spare Nalgene-
ImageImage
CH's Current Project: Catching up...

dani monster

Post by dani monster » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:47 pm

CommonHighrise wrote:Im not gonna go build an uber-sweet bugout bottle, Im not gonna go build an uber-sweet bugout bottle, Im not gonna go build an uber-sweet bugout bottle.

-runs off to grab a spare Nalgene-
and sell them on EBAY?

arc_second

Post by arc_second » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:32 pm

I got a couple of those at REI a while ago as a starting point for building a BOB for some friends. As you say it's not the best equipment and really bare-bones. For instance I've read a couple of threads on how much those 5-in-1 whistles suck. The ziploc bag doesn't look particularly waterproof and the flashlight is awfully cheap. But hey, if you're going to be buying a Nalgene bottle anyway why not get the extra stuff?

I dissected the Survival in a bottle kit (mine came with matches and a little multi-tool as well), put all it's contents in a heavy duty ziploc freezer bag, threw the bag and the bottle in a cheap backpack along with a tarp, some rope, a store-bought first aid kit, and some water purification tablets. Then I directed my friends to add some spare clothes and some trail mix, beef jerky, and hard candy. Voila, really basic starter BOB.

-James
Stop your whining and bleed like a man.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by The Highwayman » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:11 pm

Gatorfarmer wrote:Target sells them under the Eddie Bauer branding. The ones that I've seen at Gander Mountain - and granted that I haven't shopped there in over a year - were packed in bottles that weren't actual Nalgene brand bottles. They were knock offs. That's why the price tended to even out with that of a real Nalgene bottle. Sometimes the caps melt in the dishwasher, other times they leave a plastic taste in the water, but often they're fine.

The contents tended to be mostly the sort of thing that would get someone killed if they actually wanted to rely on it, or at least pose the risk that they'd provide a dangerous false sense of security. Lights with non alkaline bottles that sometimes last ten minutes, dim and possibly expired light sticks, inferior space blankets, bad multi tools, a few inferior bandages, and sometimes some very non waterproof "outdoor" matches plus a dollar store type poncho are some of the usual contents. Sometimes they'll get ambitious and provide a tea light or candle that will have a wick or formulation that contains lead - banned in the U.S. for candles made here, very common in the third world. The end result provides a few dubious supplies that someone who takes no other action will probably find aren't quite live saving quality while simultaneously demotivating them to put something together themselves. ("Prepare? I already have a survival kit. It's right here in this bottle that I got last year for St. Swiggin's day, ain't it cool?")

For 30 bucks, plus or minus, the AMK "S.O.L." kit or PSK are probably about the cheapest "entry level" kits that contain fairly useable items.

Soooo......uh....what parts didn't you like about it. Come on, tell us how you really feel..... :roll:

Just trying to help anyone out, who might want a bottle, with possibly something useful as well. From the tone of your post, it almost sounds like one of these "kits" stole your teddy bear or something. It's okay, we all had to give up our "woobies" at some point. You'll be just fine.... 8)

*goes back to enjoying his plastic tasting water in his fake-assed Nalgene knockoff with the melted cap*

RIP Hk33k

MJS8725
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead.

Post by MJS8725 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:47 pm

I bought one of these at Cabela's in Reno on Monday. Mostly for the bottle but the other stuff in it was useful too.
Evil unchecked grows, evil tolerated poisons the entire system.- Jawaharlal Nehru

Gatorfarmer

Post by Gatorfarmer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:38 pm

DON'T TREAD ON ME wrote:.

Soooo......uh....what parts didn't you like about it. Come on, tell us how you really feel..... :roll:

Just trying to help anyone out, who might want a bottle, with possibly something useful as well. From the tone of your post, it almost sounds like one of these "kits" stole your teddy bear or something. It's okay, we all had to give up our "woobies" at some point. You'll be just fine.... 8)

*goes back to enjoying his plastic tasting water in his fake-assed Nalgene knockoff with the melted cap*
My primary problem was that you describe them as Nalgene brand bottles. Unless Gander now carries something different, what you in fact got was a Lifeline brand or other *knockoff* of a Nalgene bottle and not the real thing. There's nothing personal about it, I would simply hate to see someone buy one of these things and think that it contained quality lifesaving gear that could be relied on in an emergency as opposed to some Chinese novelty grade products that *might* work. Survival gear isn't the sort of thing where *might* is a good thing. Nothing in your original post made the exact nature of these products clear nor described the downside to it. I understand that your intent was admirable, and there's nothing personal about it. I'm simply calling a spade a spade.

A *real* Nalgene bottle and a Scripto lighter plus the bag that store sends you home with would tend to more reliable than the Lifeline (and similar, as they all probably come out of the same factory in the PRC) bottle kits.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”