Musical Instruments for the BOB (pic heavy)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Enter_Narne

Musical Instruments for the BOB (pic heavy)

Post by Enter_Narne » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:38 am

I've been researching different moral boosters for the BOB and decided I had collected enough information on musical instruments to put out a post. The features I wanted in an instrument were:
-Must be smaller and weigh less than a set of standard playing cards.
-Must have very few or no moving parts.
-Must be able to play several notes.
-Needs no batteries or electricity.

I've included videos for the more uncommon instruments being played so you can get an idea of what they are.

Flute-like instruments (ex. Recorders, Song Flutes, Tin Whistles): Positives = Some have no moving parts. No tuning needed. Can be used for emergency signaling.

Harmonica: Positives = About the size and weight of a pack of playing cards. Can be used for emergency signaling. Negatives = Has reeds that may need maintenance and tuning.

Jaw Harp: Positives = Smaller and lighter than a pack of playing cards. Infinite notes. No tuning needed.
Video of how to play a Jaw Harp.
Another video of how to play a Jaw Harp.

Kazoo: Positives = Smaller and lighter than a pack of playing cards. Infinite notes. No tuning needed. Negatives = Has a membrane that my need maintenance and/or replacement.

Kou Xiang aka Kouxian = a Chinese multi-leaf version of the Jaw Harp. Smaller and lighter than a pack of playing cards. Infinite notes. No tuning needed. Can play more octaves than a Jaw Harp. Negatives = May need a storage container to protect it from being bent.
Video of a Kou Xiang.
Another video of a Kou Xiang.

Nose Flute aka Nose Whistle, Humanatone: Positives = No moving parts. About as small and as light as a book of matches. No tuning needed. Infinite notes. Can be used for emergency signaling.
Video of a Nose Flute.
Another video of a Nose Flute

Ocarina: Positives = No moving parts. Smaller and lighter than a pack of playing cards. No tuning needed. Can be used for emergency signaling.
And for you Legend of Zelda fans
Video of an Ocarina.
Another video of an Ocarina.

Pan Flute: Positives = No moving parts. No tuning needed. Some are as small as a pack of playing cards. Can be used for emergency signaling.

Slide Whistle: Positive = No tuning needed. Infinite notes. Can be used for emergency signaling. Negatives = The slide can be misplaced.

Thumb Piano aka Kalimba, Mbira: Positives = No tuning needed. Some are as small as a pack of playing cards. Negatives = May need a storage container to protect the protruding keys.
Video of a Thumb Piano with a resonator box.
Another video of a Thumb Piano.

Can you add to this list?

I would really like to find an instrument that sounds like a guitar, yet still fits the criteria above.

Or can you suggest instruments that can be improvised in the field?

Examples:
-Drum = pot, pan, water bottle, hollow log, etc.
-Recorder = hollow stick with finger holes
-Xylophone = several sticks or rocks lined up and struck with a stick to create tones.
Last edited by Enter_Narne on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:53 am, edited 11 times in total.

donjulio

Re: Musical Instruments for the BOB (pic heavy)

Post by donjulio » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:56 am

Hahahaha! I love the nose flute! That thing is hilarious! :lol:

Enter_Narne

Post by Enter_Narne » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:24 am

donjulio wrote:Hahahaha! I love the nose flute! That thing is hilarious! :lol:
Cool! And if it makes you laugh in a bug out scenario then it's done its job as a morale booster. :D

donjulio

Post by donjulio » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:42 am

My morale is boosted already, thanks. Good idea for a thread by the way.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:47 am

I have an Ocarina! They good fun, not sure mine would go in my BOB as its not plastic though..

Now a Kazoo on the other hand :mrgreen:
Man is a beast of prey

Enter_Narne

Post by Enter_Narne » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:40 pm

These nose flutes can be purchased for less than a dollar. These may be a great gift to give to kids or as a barter item. Little items like this used as gifts are a good way of making friends or at least easing tension between strangers in an emergency.

MonsterZero
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by George A. Romero.

Post by MonsterZero » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:52 pm

I have an ocarina (sweet potato style) and a western style harmonica. I used to be pretty good with the ocarina, but I haven't had a chance to try the harmonica and I've had it for years.
"Call me the dark intruder
Call me the haunted sea
Call me your Monster Zero
Call me anything you need."

Enter_Narne

Post by Enter_Narne » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:41 pm

MonsterZero, Do you know what kind of Ocarino that little circular one is? I've heard of sweet potato style like the one you mentioned and I've also heard of submarine style, but I can't seem to find a name for the little circular one.

Anyone?

Enter_Narne

Post by Enter_Narne » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:06 pm

Enter_Narne wrote:MonsterZero, Do you know what kind of Ocarino that little circular one is? I've heard of sweet potato style like the one you mentioned and I've also heard of submarine style, but I can't seem to find a name for the little circular one.

Anyone?
Found the name of the small Ocarino. It's a pendant ocarino.

Now I'm trying to find a small sting instrument that simulates the sound of a guitar. The two closest are the camping guitar and the ukulele, however they are both WAY too big. I really like the blues and it's funny listening to people play the blues on the ukulele, because I've always thought of the ukulele as an instrument associated with wackiness. Total opposite of the blues.

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:35 am

I carry a harmonica as part of my EDC. If I'm walking through the woods and hear a jaw harp, I'm going to go to ground and do my best not to look like Ned Beatty.

Enter_Narne

Post by Enter_Narne » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:01 am

farblue wrote:I carry a harmonica as part of my EDC. If I'm walking through the woods and hear a jaw harp, I'm going to go to ground and do my best not to look like Ned Beatty.
here piggy piggy, here piggy piggy... :lol:

tjack316

Post by tjack316 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:14 pm

Not really a musical instrument but I keep a pair of drumsticks in my BOB . Harmonicas are like nails on a chalkboard to me .

Enter_Narne

Post by Enter_Narne » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:42 pm

tjack316 wrote:Not really a musical instrument but I keep a pair of drumsticks in my BOB . Harmonicas are like nails on a chalkboard to me .
Nice one. Is there a piece of BOB equipment you drum on?

tjack316

Post by tjack316 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:49 pm

Of course the cookset makes a great drum set ping ping ding ping ping ding .... canoes kayaks and hollow logs make terrific rackit . Drives people nuts :twisted:

Enter_Narne

Post by Enter_Narne » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:14 pm

One bonus for wind instruments is they can be used as a signaling device like a whistle. I suppose I'll update the original post to reflect this.

Also I suppose a pair of sticks or twigs found while bugging out can be used as improvised drumsticks.

Ooo and on that note (no pun intended) I guess the making of musical instruments can be a form of morale booster too. Maybe instead of bringing along an instrument you bring along a set of plans that detail how to build several musical instruments! The act of making the instrument, plus the act of playing the instrument can be morale boosters.

donjulio

Post by donjulio » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:46 pm

You could probably make a flute/recorder type of instrument out of a reed or section of bamboo.

MonsterZero
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by George A. Romero.

Post by MonsterZero » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:20 pm

donjulio wrote:You could probably make a flute/recorder type of instrument out of a reed or section of bamboo.
http://primitiveways.com/#anchor699671" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, most people call the little ones pendant ocarinas, because they can easily be carried as a pendant (d'uh). I got mine from http://www.songbirdocarina.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . They're very easy to learn and can be pretty pleasant to hear if you know your instrument. Supposedly they're easy to make, too, but my attempt failed miserably.

Edited to add: Didgeridoo. Trust me.
"Call me the dark intruder
Call me the haunted sea
Call me your Monster Zero
Call me anything you need."

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:24 pm

This is a pretty good idea - I have a couple of harmonicas & jaw harps somewhere, I'll have to see if I can dig one out and throw it in the BOB...

I had a friend in high school who had a Chevette with NO options - not even an AM radio. He kept a harmonica, kazoo, ukulele & set of bongos in the hatch - if we were driving anywhere more than a few minutes away, he'd hand out the instruments and we got to provide our own entertainment... it usually wound up being a whole lot more fun than listening to the radio :lol:
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

congochris

Post by congochris » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:19 am

The "practice" chanter. This little deal is how you learn to play bagpipes. Has a very distinct sound. Essentially, it's the pipes without the drones. Or some bastard of a recorder and bagpipes, however you wish to look at it. If you get a plastic practice chanter, and plastic reeds inside, it'd be fairly weather resistant.

knedgecko

Post by knedgecko » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:31 am

i scrolled to the bottom to say chanter... well played.
also, bodhran? :D

Enter_Narne

Post by Enter_Narne » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:04 pm

I think a slide whistle wouldn't be too difficult to build.

I've only ever heard these played as silly, whimsical instruments. Anyone know if they can be used to play something more serious, like say Amazing Grace?

Enter_Narne

Post by Enter_Narne » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:16 pm

How about a xylophone made out of branches?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWUwfAzGMPI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:29 pm

I was thinking, why not a didgeridoo, and improvise a good rubber plug for one end that way you can keep things inside it.
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

Enter_Narne

Post by Enter_Narne » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:47 pm

JohnnyMayhem wrote:I was thinking, why not a didgeridoo, and improvise a good rubber plug for one end that way you can keep things inside it.

That's a winner right there!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”