Your carry-on BOB.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Roy1138

Your carry-on BOB.

Post by Roy1138 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:13 pm

Given recent restrictions to carry-ons, what items could you bring with you to insure survival if TSHTF while you were in the concourse or on the plane. LOL, maybe I've watched Flight of the Living Dead one too many times.
Last edited by Roy1138 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlphaMMA

Re: Your carry-on BOB.

Post by AlphaMMA » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:36 pm

My carry on consists of food and water (and your only allowed a certain amount of liquid in a specific type of container). Theres no way to bring fire, and the TSA will confiscate anything they like.
EDK| EDC | BOB | IFAK
^ coming soon

LeeG

Post by LeeG » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:50 pm

EMT shears seem to be ok. Flashlight. Get water after you go through security. Never had a problem with my fire steel. BIC lighters are ok.

In general, I don't sneak anything and I don't take anything it would break my heart for them to confiscate.
Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Lazarus Long

Preparing is the opposite of wishing.

AlphaMMA

Post by AlphaMMA » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:57 pm

Cigarette lighters are okay? Last time I flew they told me I couldn't take my lighter. :? This was in 2003 (maybe 2002)
EDK| EDC | BOB | IFAK
^ coming soon

LeeG

Post by LeeG » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:53 pm

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Lazarus Long

Preparing is the opposite of wishing.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:45 am

I have a multi-tool without the blade, a pair of EMT shears, FAK, water bottle, lighter, food, spare glasses, book, and outerwear...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:58 am

Aha! Luckily I have a crappy, bulky, heavy multitool that I've just dumped from my BOB because I haven't spent one waking moment in the last couple of years without a multitool in reach anyway. I'm breaking that blade of right now. A seriously good idea!
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

dodgecoltracer

Post by dodgecoltracer » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:45 am

A lighter is not ok, it will be taken from you. Some places would not let me bring on a drink that I purchased after security. Some places might have a problem with a multi tool, even with out a knife. Last time I flew I brought a glow stick, some paracord, water purification tablets, very basic FAK, and a very sturdy pen. I figured if all else fails I could defend my self with it :? If you're unsure, I'd leave it unless you don't mind them taking it from you.
"The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. "

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:25 am

dodgecoltracer wrote:A lighter is not ok, it will be taken from you. Some places would not let me bring on a drink that I purchased after security. Some places might have a problem with a multi tool, even with out a knife. Last time I flew I brought a glow stick, some paracord, water purification tablets, very basic FAK, and a very sturdy pen. I figured if all else fails I could defend my self with it :? If you're unsure, I'd leave it unless you don't mind them taking it from you.
A lighter is fine, as long as its only one, matches are also ok. (based on UK and EU regulations)...I remember the days when you could still fly with a pen knife in your carry on... :(
Man is a beast of prey

colinz

Post by colinz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:40 am

I went through Gatwick airport in the UK just after the bombing scare, and they had just started bringing the newish restrictions in.

I had my lighter taken off me going through airport security (one of three that had been allowed through the temporary screening station in Thailand :lol: ).

I was confused when I got into the terminal though as there were smoking booths. If no one is allowed to bring lighters or matches in, then how the hell are they lighting their smokes?

Solution: Bought two new lighters at the duty free shop. :lol: :mrgreen:

On a slightly unrelated note: The same trip involved train travel through Spain just after the Madrid bombings (and the lines/hassles/x-rays/etc), and on the way home I managed to time my stopover in Thailand to coincide with the Coup AND the opening of the new international airport, five hours waiting for baggage to be brought to me by little asian soldiers. I have mega-bad luck when it comes to international travel. :(

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:24 pm

I bring an empty Dasani water bottle and fill it from a drinking fountain after I go through security. Unfortunately, water pouches are out. They are 4.2 ounces, and thus over the limit.

Water purification tablets. IFAK. Flashlight. (Glow stick is a good idea... added!) Dental floss. Gatorade powder mix. Power bars / candy. Paracord should be OK.

Bic lighters are OK but still may be randomly confiscated.

(Edit) As nfa says, EMT shears should be OK. TSA does say it's OK to have "safety scissors without sharp points." Added.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:11 pm

Last time I flew with a basic FAK (Izzy trauma bandage, gauze, tape, kerlix) flashlight, paracord, emergency poncho, water purification tablets, duct tape, micro widgy bar, mini screwdriver, glowsick, and a book of matches in my carry-on. . Should have brought some Immodium, as I went to Mexico. Ugh.
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:50 am

Since we are playing the odds, if you are somehow involved in an air disaster, you want to be able to get out of the plane safely and quickly. There might be smoke, darkness, and/or fire involved. Flashlights are a given.

What about some kind of escape respirator? What about a fire blanket? Discuss.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:14 am

Ever been tempted to "requisition" one of the emergency life vests for your BOB?

Or was that just me?
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:54 am

Life RAFT, yes. Life jacket no.

:lol:

Psyko5616
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead,

Post by Psyko5616 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:05 am

I fly a few times a year and always forget i have a book of matches in my wallet, they never confiscated it. I did have a corkscrew takin once out of a travel kit i got as a stocking stuffer, thats it, but i also panicked once when i left my knife in my pocket and had to beg to get it put in my checked bag.
The pocket knife is the only thing I dont take with me of my EDC. Phone, Wallet with matches, various drugs, bandanna, chapstick, keys.
ive also noted to take any clothes i might need for a day or two on my carry on as im tired of my luggage getting lost, having once checked my coat and arrived in 0 degree ferenhiet weather without it

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:54 am

What about some kind of escape respirator? What about a fire blanket? Discuss
You can improve your survival rate drastically by sitting within seven rows of an exit. I saw a program on the telly about surviving plan crashes (not great for the guy who is paranoid about them) and your survival rate increases dramatically. Also count the number of rows as you walk in from your seat to exit..so if it is dark you can feel the rows. Don't take sleeping pills and don't drink more than one beer - this will impede your chances of survival. Remember how your seat belt works - apparently people in shock try to use it as a car one and so die whilst being stuck. Have a plan if you are travelling with family/friends.

Speed is key, you are better off getting off an away from the plane then wasting time fitting a respirator.!

Just my 0.02 english pennies!
Man is a beast of prey

avenger
Location: Central Texas or, somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

Post by avenger » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:37 am

Psyko5616 wrote:I fly a few times a year and always forget i have a book of matches in my wallet, they never confiscated it. I did have a corkscrew takin once out of a travel kit i got as a stocking stuffer, thats it, but i also panicked once when i left my knife in my pocket and had to beg to get it put in my checked bag.
The pocket knife is the only thing I dont take with me of my EDC. Phone, Wallet with matches, various drugs, bandanna, chapstick, keys.
ive also noted to take any clothes i might need for a day or two on my carry on as im tired of my luggage getting lost, having once checked my coat and arrived in 0 degree ferenhiet weather without it
When I'm flying I pack my EDC into my suitcase the night before, that way I won't have a case of the dumbs and pocket a knife on the way out the door to the airport. What I do have are several knives that are essentially disposable (I got them ultra cheap- like 3 bucks a piece or so) that I carry only when I'm flying and might forget to drop my gear in the car (I'd feel not one molecule of remorse dropping one in the trash when I'm finishing my last smoke before hitting the security checkpoint- in fact that's what I did do last time)
Is it a trade off carrying some cheapo versus a "real knife"? Sure, but any steel beats nothing...
-A-

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:30 pm

the_alias wrote:
What about some kind of escape respirator? What about a fire blanket? Discuss
You can improve your survival rate drastically by sitting within seven rows of an exit. I saw a program on the telly about surviving plan crashes (not great for the guy who is paranoid about them) and your survival rate increases dramatically. Also count the number of rows as you walk in from your seat to exit..so if it is dark you can feel the rows. Don't take sleeping pills and don't drink more than one beer - this will impede your chances of survival. Remember how your seat belt works - apparently people in shock try to use it as a car one and so die whilst being stuck. Have a plan if you are travelling with family/friends.

Speed is key, you are better off getting off an away from the plane then wasting time fitting a respirator.!

Just my 0.02 english pennies!

Well spoken, sir. I try to get the emergency exit rows anyway, if they are not already taken.

IllTemperedCur

Post by IllTemperedCur » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:13 pm

colinz wrote: On a slightly unrelated note: The same trip involved train travel through Spain just after the Madrid bombings (and the lines/hassles/x-rays/etc), and on the way home I managed to time my stopover in Thailand to coincide with the Coup AND the opening of the new international airport, five hours waiting for baggage to be brought to me by little asian soldiers. I have mega-bad luck when it comes to international travel. :(

Dude, let me know if you ever come through California so I can schedule my Alaskan vacation that week. :lol:

I used to do a lot of US business travel from 04-06. Firesteel, Surefire 6P or G2, 1 extra set of batts, small FAK, AMK/Doug Ritter survival kit with all the sharps removed, jacket & fleece (even to Puerto Rico), food bars (whatever was available at the dollar store that week), water bottle. I'll probably add in EMT shears and a diamond honing plate from Ragweed Forge. Worse comes to worse, it can be used to help MAKE a crude knife (that's the Lost scenario).

Big one to consider is extra photo IDs, which you should be able to get from your local DMV. One each in checked and carry-on baggage. I once lost my wallet vacationing in NYC the day before flying back to Calif. I was lucky, in that it was found intact on the train to Newark and returned to me that night by the train conductor (after going all the way to Baltimore and back!). I learned my lesson and got two Calif IDs from DMV the next week. Remember, you ain't getting on an airplane without valid photo ID. If you lose your wallet for any reason, you can still "airport camp" and get home if you have to.
"Are you bringing in any weapons?"
"Of course not!"
"You're not changing anything."

MarkTBSc

Post by MarkTBSc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:44 am

One of the things I always have with me when flying is a pack of sharpened pencils. They're one of the few weapons that can still get through security. I usually add a shermaugh to that as well as I can always fill it with coins and turn it into a flail.

Has anyone yet tried flying with a Sharkie? I'd like to take mine with me when I travel but I don't really want it confiscated.

I'll tell you one thing, it's difficult to open plastic clamshell packaging without scissors if you buy something like an iPod charger on the far side of security. It's possible but not easy. Last time I did it, I just folded the corner back and forth until it split and then inserted the stylus from my Treo 650 into the hole. Worked a treat.

As far as fire goes, you could probably get the flint half of a striker set through security and then all you need is steel. A steel-barreled pen or a set of steel dog-tags would probably suffice.
Last edited by MarkTBSc on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:45 pm

I fly in my PJs(ninja pants and a comfy cotton tshirt), flip-flops, with a small shoulder bag that has toothbrush/toothpaste and a small thing of Dr Bronners, a book, a sweatshirt/fleece, and my wallet(with cash)/passport. If they lose my checked bag, I have the basic toiletry kit to get me through a couple days, and cash/debit card in my wallet to purchase things I might need. I'm well aware of the fact that my survival plan depends exclusively on 'the system', and I'm OK with that because I don't fly a whole lot.

I figure if you're in a cast-away type of situation, you're gonna be fucked anyway, so might as well bend over and take the security screenings, and make it easy/comfortable instead of trying to carry on stuff thats technically legal, but some people might have a problem with, but others might not, which only leads to more time standing in line and more headaches.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:01 pm

I bring an mini BOB on the plane not in case of a crash (cuz in that case, kiss your ass goodbye) but to have some supplies while at my destination.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”