Key Ring BOB

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Roy1138

Key Ring BOB

Post by Roy1138 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:08 pm

On a similar note as the Altoid tin BOB, if you were limited to your key ring, what items would you keep with you to insure survival? My "Key Ring BOB" currently includes a mini LED-flashlight, a bottle opener, and a multi-tool. Honestly, I hope I never have to rely solely on my key ring for survival, but I am curious as to what kind of items are available. If I do find myself unlucky enough to have only my key ring, I want to be as prepared as possible.

Fenris

Re: Key Ring BOB

Post by Fenris » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Possible items:
A whistle, a mini-compass, LightMyFire firesteel, magnesium fire starter, a braid of 550 cord, a small pillbottle, a shiv made from a large nail :roll: . Many other items, I'm sure.

-fenris-
"How quickly a man takes on the qualities of darkness. Men who live by night; the soldier, the thief, the traveller by night, the vagabond... theirs is a different way of thinking, and they do not fear the dark nor what may come upon them by night because they themselves are of the night, a part of it." ~louis lamour

AlphaMMA

Post by AlphaMMA » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:57 pm

don't forget the P-38, or P-51 for you arthritis-stricken geezers.
EDK| EDC | BOB | IFAK
^ coming soon

Ovationman

Post by Ovationman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:53 am

Its your KRBOB said cur-bob :twisted: .

ImfromtheGovt

Post by ImfromtheGovt » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:30 am

Isn't a Key Ring BOB usually referred to as Every-Day Carry? (EDC)
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves"

-Ronald Regan

gitarmac
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend
28 days later

Post by gitarmac » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:11 pm

Here's a pic of mine, I keep it in my purs. . . I mean BOB. To be honest I also have the stuff that's already on it so I've never had to use it.
"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." – H.L. Mencken

ickyicky

Post by ickyicky » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:42 pm

Hey, gitarmac...

For a minimal weight and size increase, you can get a pretty nice compass/thermometer to replace the thermometer. I got mine from here but I'd imagine any outdoors store should have something similar. (Stupid MEC, eatin' all mah munneys)
Thunder under a storm will come one day,
To blow us all away, like dust on the moon.

gitarmac
28 days later

Post by gitarmac » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:27 am

Wow! That's the coolest one ever! I have a whistle/compass combo but both are too cheap. Notice the atwood prybaby on my keychain? They also make a titanium mini prybar (in different colors to boot!) that I am trying to resist purchasing.

Dammit, I knew this site was going to cost me money!!! At least its cheaper than the titanium minibar.
"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." – H.L. Mencken

Psyko5616
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead,

Post by Psyko5616 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:59 am

Beware, I was told once that too much weight on your keyring could cause problems with your transmittion. Now I know squat about cars and this came from an ex-mechanic so I'm takin his word for it.

Ravenwood

Post by Ravenwood » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:53 pm

Psyko5616 wrote:Beware, I was told once that too much weight on your keyring could cause problems with your transmittion. Now I know squat about cars and this came from an ex-mechanic so I'm takin his word for it.

I know why he is an ex-mechanic.
What does your ignition and transmission have to do with each other.
Uh nothing now resting your hand or arm on the gear shifter of a standard
tranmission can cause damage over time.
http://www.thehighroad.org/index.php

http://www.oklarifle.org/index.htm

'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.'

~ Thomas Jefferson

gitarmac
28 days later

Post by gitarmac » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:59 pm

Mine does not have keys on it, my keyrine only has keys and a small light. That way I can put them in my pocket. the "tactical keychain" as I call it, goes in my pur. . I mean BOB.

Pansy

Post by Pansy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:09 pm

If you are concerned about bulk I think a Swiss Army Knife(Farmer or similar) and a Ferro Rod would be the perfect minimum keyring. If you really want to conquer the world throw a Photon on there.

Psyko5616
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead,

Post by Psyko5616 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:04 pm

Ravenwood wrote:
Psyko5616 wrote:Beware, I was told once that too much weight on your keyring could cause problems with your transmittion. Now I know squat about cars and this came from an ex-mechanic so I'm takin his word for it.

I know why he is an ex-mechanic.
What does your ignition and transmission have to do with each other.
Uh nothing now resting your hand or arm on the gear shifter of a standard
tranmission can cause damage over time.
Well, theres a possibility I'm misremembering him as well, mighta said it screwed somethin else up, hard to say. If someone knows somethin about cars itd be nice to hear an educated opinion.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:07 pm

I have heard that big ass heavy keychains can torque your ignition switch until it quits working. Car keys should be on a little quick-link separator thingie to keep the weight on your ignition switch not measured in lbs.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Chrisbequick

Post by Chrisbequick » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:55 pm

Mine has an LED flashlight, CountyComm mini prybar, 5 ft 550 paracord, P-38 can opener, and a CountyComm peanut lighter. I may add a small multi-tool and compass later, but I always have my BOB with me, so they would just be redundant.

-Chris
Raydarkhorse wrote:As they picked him up and put him on the gurney I recovered the biscuit.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:36 pm

gitarmac wrote:Wow! That's the coolest one ever! I have a whistle/compass combo but both are too cheap. Notice the atwood prybaby on my keychain? They also make a titanium mini prybar (in different colors to boot!) that I am trying to resist purchasing.

Dammit, I knew this site was going to cost me money!!! At least its cheaper than the titanium minibar.

FWIW, I just saw the same "Therm-O-Compass" (which also has a wind chill chart) while browsing the Brigade Quartermasters catalog, here. It is a zipper pull size, and retails for $8.99.

(I love helping others spend their money... :mrgreen: )
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

lawless

Post by lawless » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:45 am

I've been working on a Bug Out Keychain as well. I've got about 20ft. of paracord, firesteel, and a rope saw on it so far. I wrapped electrical tape around the rope saw so it doesn't cut the paracord.

Audemus jura nostra defendere

Brash
Favorite Zombie Movies: NOTLD, Dawn of the Dead (Original), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, Special Dead.

Post by Brash » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:15 am

This thread made me look at all the crap on my keyring.

Mini LED flashlight, P-38, bottle opener, radiator key, small knife, nail file, nail clippers and a little tiny 8-ball. :D

I'd never really thought of it before.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:14 pm

Ovationman wrote:Its your KRBOB said cur-bob :twisted: .
Stab

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:01 pm

gitarmac wrote:Here's a pic of mine, I keep it in my purs. . . I mean BOB. To be honest I also have the stuff that's already on it so I've never had to use it.
Is that a glow in the dark Fox 40 whistle?

Nice set up. Fox 40's are about the loudest whistle for their size I have ever seen.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

gitarmac
28 days later

Post by gitarmac » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:16 pm

Yep, the storm wouldn't fit, but I have one (storm) in my bags.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:22 am

gitarmac wrote:Yep, the storm wouldn't fit, but I have one (storm) in my bags.
I have a Storm as well and yes, it is too big for a key chain set up. I use it when I am teaching hunter's education or when I am running a relay of shooters at my local gun club during one of our shoots. Nothing like it to get the students back into their seats after a break!

I need to find my Fox for the next class. I will have do use my web fu and find one of the glow in the dark Fox 40's.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

ista_hota

Post by ista_hota » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:41 am

LOL... wha? :roll:

Lord Osis

Post by Lord Osis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Not the transmission, but the ignition switch.
James Kim helped me prepare.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”