Veritas's BOB *updated 11/09/09*

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

joekaveh

Re: Veritas's BOB *updated 11/09/09*

Post by joekaveh » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:54 am

I don't know if this was touched on or not, but You can get a frame for your pack. I was actually looking at getting the same pack for my BOB, but found a great deal on the Camelbak BFM (older one with 1000 Cordura). Here's a link for the frame for your pack:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/spec-ops-t- ... 00101.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also I couldn't see that Huge maglite you had from your earlier pics, if you got rid of it good for you. To me that thing just kept sticking out cause of its weight/usefullness ratio compared to other flashlights or headlamps you could have instead. I would say much improved overall, especially for water containers.
here's a tip: learn to swim

Donate Blood: http://www.redcross.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my bob: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=49972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:35 am

WoodsWalker: Thanks man, I appreciate the compliments, especially from the BOB guru.

GunsUp: I agree that my food is a little sparse for three days of hiking. I have some Clif bars, which I enjoy eating more than ration bars, although I do not think they provide as many calories as the ration bars. I am not too concerned about water, where I am you can't throw a rock without hitting a lake, and I have plenty of options to treat/purify the water with.

joekaveh: Thanks for the link, that sounds like a good option! I know everybody hated my MagLite, but it was nice to have around, especially when something creeps up on your tent. Something about holding a big heavy flashlight is comforting, Freud be damned.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Sgt.Joe_ST.Ragman
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ben Hur

Post by Sgt.Joe_ST.Ragman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:43 pm

"I also take it camping." LOL.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:58 pm

Veritas.

No problem however I am no guru.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

slingstone

Post by slingstone » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Veritas, do you still carry that waterproof packable jacket?

What brand/model is it? How well has it worked out for you?

I remember a thread sometime this year where someone was asking about jackets like that.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:01 pm

slingstone wrote:Veritas, do you still carry that waterproof packable jacket?

What brand/model is it? How well has it worked out for you?

I remember a thread sometime this year where someone was asking about jackets like that.
I remember the thread also, I posted in it I think.

I don't carry the Magellan anymore, but I put it in my other kit that my girlfriend uses. The Magellan works, but it is that kind of heavier plastic that smells like plastic and doesn't breathe at all. The other problem with it is the absence of a pull cord for the hood. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time, but it is really annoying when the wind is blowing and raining, as it does here all the time. It packs down fairly well, but any nice jacket will pack down that size or smaller. I got it at Academy for $20, they only had one model when I bought mine.

Now, I got a Marmot Oracle rain jacket. I love the thing. I got it during a closeout sale on altrec.com. I know that the specific one I have is not around, they switched to a new material and that is why mine was cheap. I think it was like $60. Patience is key for those kinds of things.

For example, it was about 34 and raining the other day, and I had on a polypro pull over and the Marmot jacket, and I was fine walking to class, which is about a half-mile. Also, don't under-estimate the value of venting features, like pit-zips and the such. I used to make fun of the more technical gear until I got this jacket, and I have to admit sometimes you actually do get what you pay for.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

honestopinion

Re: Veritas's BOB

Post by honestopinion » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:16 am

Murph wrote:One canteen will not cut it.

Decide how many days you plan on surviving out of the pack and then figure out how much water that is and add it.

Did I see any spare socks or such?
1 gallon per person per day is not typically going to be carried at all times... let's say the typical 3 day assault pack - that's 3 gallons. That's approx 25lbs of water. Not going to happen. You need water purification for X# of days, not the full amount of water.
this is a signature.

Veritas

Re: Veritas's BOB

Post by Veritas » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:22 am

honestopinion wrote:1 gallon per person per day is not typically going to be carried at all times... let's say the typical 3 day assault pack - that's 3 gallons. That's approx 25lbs of water. Not going to happen. You need water purification for X# of days, not the full amount of water.
You did see the update right? I have this covered, at least enough for three days. Filter, tablets, plus stuff to boil in. And a couple of containers. Murph's comment was for the original post, not the update.

But you do make a good point, water is heavy, which is why I opted for more purification/filtration options than large containers. I certainly would sweat a lot lugging around 25 lbs of water, that is for sure.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Return to “Bug Out Gear”