My GHB (also with pictures!!)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Veritas

My GHB (also with pictures!!)

Post by Veritas » Thu May 22, 2008 2:17 pm

This is the bag that I carry with me all the time. I previously used a military surplus web belt, which I liked because of the easy access; however, this makes me look like less of a crazy redneck when I go hiking. It's also a pretty nice backpack, I got it for free through a promotion at Backwoods.

The bag, an Osprey Daylite:

Compass pouch that I usually move to my belt, and some small maps:

Front pouch with whistle:

In the front pouch we have a Leatherman Wave; Swiss Army knife; 2 AA Maglite; Firesteel Army model; Purel and antibiotic wipes; 1 deck of cards; 1 big Sharpie; 1 ink pen; 1 small notebook

In the main pouch, near the top we have some beef jerky; 2 Cliff bars; 1 energy gel packet; binoculars; Powerade; shemagh in a vacuum pouch; Gold Bond and Kleenex in ziplock; and some maps

Near the bottom, we have some back-up first aid supplies in a vacuum pouch (steri strips, 4x4s, small Kerlix roll, cravat); change of clothes in a vacuum pouch; 100' paracord; Army surplus mag pouch filled with stuff; and B.O.A.T.

Army surplus pouch contents: gloves; zip ties; waterproof matches; lighter; army surplus bandage; 2-person heatsheet; sunscreen stick; super glue in crush-proof container; duct tape wrapped around fake credit card; and ziplock with some beef jerky, soup mix and tea.

B.O.A.T.

Contents of B.O.A.T.: tin foil; water purification tablets; tea; seasoning packets; soup packet; broth cube; honey packet; chewing gum; ziplock bag; fishing lure; 2 magnets; match book; razor blade; 4 safety pins; automatic fishing reel; nylon twine; big rubber band; and foil packets (needle, birthday candles, wax soaked twine, dental floss, two Aleve, one Benadryl)

Any suggestions/comments? I know the BOAT is a little cheesy, but oh well, I am not running out of space. I had briefly considered taking two 20' shanks of paracord instead of one 100' shank, but once again, I have plenty of room and that would not make a huge weight/space difference.

The backpack can hold a Camelbak, which is not pictured. I also carry my IFAK with this bag, usually attached to the side of the bag, like the compass pouch.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

TC

Re: My GHB (also with pictures!!)

Post by TC » Thu May 22, 2008 4:19 pm

Looks pretty good, much better than my first attempt. One thing that I recently added to my E&E bag is a poncho for bad weather and for shelter building. You might want to add some spare wool socks to the bag. Both of these will take up some room, but they are essentials.

I don't know what the laws in your area are like, but perhaps add some form of self-defence item. Firearms might not be possible, but perhaps a pepper-spray or something similar. I can't have any of those things in my bags, but if I was able to I would.

I'm sure others will be able to add more suggestions, but I hope mine give a bit of a starter.
KentsOkay wrote: I immediately thought about calling 911, but once we got to the T stop and got her out of her jeans, things seemed to be going a lot better.
TC's Defence of the Realm Target Download

sludge

Post by sludge » Thu May 22, 2008 4:50 pm

Awesome set up veritas... I have a gift certificate for the same pack as well... I guess I need to go cash it in !!!!

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu May 22, 2008 6:18 pm

Very nice!

That looks like an extremely nice backpack there.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Shiner86

Post by Shiner86 » Thu May 22, 2008 6:51 pm

Very nice! Perhaps you could put the maps in a plastic baggy, though?

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Thu May 22, 2008 8:42 pm

>Compass pouch that I usually move to my belt, and some small maps:
Not a fan of the lensatic for general purpose, but it works.

>2 AA Maglite;
LED conversion?

-Whistle, but no mirror, here or in BoB
-at least an emergency poncho?
-between the two, didn't see a spoon or spork, or did I miss it?

Since it looks like a woods kit, not a black top kit, no need for some of the gizmos I like to have,. But I would suggest a silcock key.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Thu May 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Shiner86 wrote:Very nice! Perhaps you could put the maps in a plastic baggy, though?
Good call, will do.
ironraven wrote:Not a fan of the lensatic for general purpose, but it works.
I have heard lensatic is not the best, but I don't really know what is a better option. Suggestions anyone? I need to get better using these, it is on the to-do list for this summer.
ironraven wrote:>2 AA Maglite; LED conversion?
I guess I will need to do this, because so many people have suggested it.
ironraven wrote:-Whistle, but no mirror, here or in BoB
-at least an emergency poncho?
-between the two, didn't see a spoon or spork, or did I miss it?
Good call. I will get a spoon and mirror. Don't know about the ponchos though, I don't really like them. I have one I think is nice in my BOB, but they don;t take up a lot of space, so I will probably throw one in.
ironraven wrote:Since it looks like a woods kit, not a black top kit, no need for some of the gizmos I like to have,. But I would suggest a silcock key.
I don't really know what this is, but from what I can tell it turns water faucets on? Could I not just use my Leatherman?

All great suggestions, keep 'em coming!
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri May 23, 2008 12:50 am

Osprey makes some good stuff. Nice little pack. :D Unless I missed it a maybe a poncho. Even one of those small cheap ones would be better than nothing. I have one of those auto fishing things. Never used it but maybe one day I will test it out. Maybe forget about the LED conversion and go with a LED headlamp. Good call on the Al foil. I need to add some to all my packs.

Maybe a Suunto M-2 might work for a replacement if you are so inclined.

Or check out Silva. I also use a field 7.

http://www.silva.se/templates/Products_ ... productId=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{77C47291-D630-4D07-9CE7-1473FC8EBD76}

both are not all that expensive and very UL.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Fri May 23, 2008 1:19 am

I like the Osprey style packs. They're very light and I haven't heard anything bad about how they hold up under daily use. The Civil Air Patrol S&R personel, outside of Anchorage, Alaska, use them as their EDC (I think they the were Swiss Mil brand though.)
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Fri May 23, 2008 10:21 pm

I keep a silcock around becuase there are some where a pair of pliers doesn't work so well. Or at least isn't subtle, particularly when you are trying to shut it off in a hurry. ;)
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

Sgt.Joe_ST.Ragman
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ben Hur

Post by Sgt.Joe_ST.Ragman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:47 pm

It looks nice, just don't venture too far off the trail.

There are rough men out there that might want your ammo pouch or Cliff bars.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Sgt.Joe_ST.Ragman wrote:It looks nice, just don't venture too far off the trail.

There are rough men out there that might want your ammo pouch or Cliff bars.

Eh, not that many... most people dont go around stealing shit/mugging hikers.

Sgt.Joe_ST.Ragman
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ben Hur

Post by Sgt.Joe_ST.Ragman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:58 pm

You must try the SHTF or the Ghurka trail someday! LMAO.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:04 pm

Sgt.Joe_ST.Ragman wrote:You must try the SHTF or the Ghurka trail someday! LMAO.

Been on those, thats why I always bring a 7.62 minigun.

edit: and it has the shoulder thing that goes up, to.

joshtheawesome09
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland, Dead Snow, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by joshtheawesome09 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:13 pm

Slighty OT, but Woods Walker, I like the derringer, what caliber is that?
The four seasons of California: earthquake, fire, flood and riot.

Aceman
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, Shock Waves, Night of the Living Dead (original), and Shawn of the Dead - oh heck - I like them all!

Post by Aceman » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Looks good; Feedback

Another bigger knife. Something in a full size folder with serrations, at least.
Poncho - been said
Get a real cup for the brew kit - you've got space.

Keep the Lensatic. Works fine.

How long / how far do you have to get home and what lattitude?

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:11 pm

It's funny that this got re-awaken, because it is fairly different now.

If I don't have the Oasis/GI cup combo I have a widemouth Nalgene and sierra cup, but they don't fit as well. The Powerade bottle is gone, obviously.

I don't really like serrated knives, I would rather have a plain edge and a saw, hence the SAK and Leatherman. Really even that is more knife than I need.

I have a Marmot rain jacket that packs down really small, but I also put in one of those crappy clear plastic ponchos.

I actually don't have the ammo pouch anymore, replaced it with one of those velcro style plastic waterproof bags. Most stuff is in some sort of ziplock or other plastic bag. I also carry significantly less paracord in just the GHB. The 100' is now moved to the BOB.

Compass is gone, it pointed north but I got a better one.

BOAT is totally different, still mostly for fun.

Check out my BOB thread for a better idea of how I run things now.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:48 pm

joshtheawesome09 wrote:Slighty OT, but Woods Walker, I like the derringer, what caliber is that?

.410/45LC

http://www.bondarms.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I keep a Winchester.45 LC silver tip for the first shot and a .410 slug for the second. Don't ask me why as not sure myself.

joshtheawesome09
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland, Dead Snow, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by joshtheawesome09 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:57 pm

No worries man, your set up is your set up. I'd love to get one when I'm 21, but they're all illegal in California.
The four seasons of California: earthquake, fire, flood and riot.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:03 am

Veritas.

One thing I forgot to mention is the whistle integral in the male sternum buckle. It comes standard with most Osprey packs including the Daylite as mine has it, so the one attached to the front pocket’s hook is redundant.

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:45 am

Woods Walker wrote:Veritas.

One thing I forgot to mention is the whistle integral in the male sternum buckle. It comes standard with most Osprey packs including the Daylite as mine has it, so the one attached to the front pocket’s hook is redundant.
Yeah, I didn't even notice that until I read your WoodsMonkey post. Kinda embarrassing really, but it is not just real obvious.

I saw one of those Bond guns at Academy and asked the guy behind the counter about it. He was a huge fan, and made them sound great, although he did mention about seven times that it "was just a derringer". The model was "Snake Slayer" or something like that. The thing was solid, you could probably do just as much damage hitting somebody with it as you would shooting them.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:19 am

What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:33 am

Yea they have a drawing of a cotton mouth rising out of the water to attack a good old boy fishing on their web site. Thankfully he had a Snake Slayer at hand. :lol: Though I prefer that women sending buck shot into that guy's face. Bond arms will not disappoint with realistic scenarios. Take a look at this.

http://www.bondarms.com/iRealSnakeProbs.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.digitalpublisherpro.com/Maga ... sue_id=271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mary Ann Potts, of Motley County, was hospitalized at Covenant Care Hospital after she was bitten by a rattlesnake at her home, 20 miles east of Floydada, Sunday, June 2.
According to Potts, at approximately 4:00 p.m., Sunday, she went outside to drain the "kiddie pool" for her children. "I picked up the pool and the snake was nestled under it," said Potts. "It bit me on the foot and I dropped the pool and hollered. I said some words that children shouldn't hear."
Potts said the wound bled a little but that almost immediately she felt a deep ache in her foot.
"It was excruciating pain," said Potts.
Potts mother-in-law, Marisue Potts, was outside and ran into the house to get Mary Ann's husband, Jim. "Jim came out and smashed the snake's head with a 2X4," said Mary Ann. "Then he brought the snake with us. The hospital said that was a good thing to do because it was better to see the type of snake so they can give you the right anti-venom."
Ice was applied to the wound and then Potts headed to Floydada. "We called the emergency room at Methodist Hospital and they called EMS in Floydada and told them to meet us at the Lighthouse Electric intersection. The helicopter was also dispatched. We met EMS at Lighthouse and I was loaded onto the ambulance."
Potts said that no chances were taken with the snake. "They told me just to be safe they wanted a police officer to come shoot the snake and make very certain it was dead. So they did."
Potts said within an hour she was in the emergency room at Methodist. Within 1 1/2 hours she was being given anti-venom.
"The pain was so bad that the little bit of morphine they gave me was not enough. The pain medicine did not start working until Monday," said Potts.
According to Potts the swelling moved from her foot to her thigh. "It swelled for 18 hours but it has stopped now," said Potts. "Although the swelling moved--the pain did not . Luckily they did not have to cut me open to stop the swelling."
Potts said she may get to go home on Thursday or Friday.
The rattlesnake, according to Potts, was 5 or 6 buttons in size. "I don't know if that is considered small or not."
Potts has three boys, 3 years, 6 years and 9 years. "I am so glad it did not get my children--that would have been terrible."
But all kidding aside it is very well made and has two safeties so I can just toss it into the black possibilities pouch shown in the photo. My bond arms is a cowboy defender but clearly I am no cowboy. It has interchangeable barrels up to 6-inches from .22 to .410 but never got any. Maybe I will get the 6-inch .22 one day. Really only pack it to toss by the sleeping bag at night but so far I have not covered myself in peanut butter and bacon so the bears and coyotes have kept away.

Yea it a heavy little chunk of Stainless.

Blkhrt13

Post by Blkhrt13 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:58 am

I have been debating one of thier derringers for a while.I wonder if the weight would make better to pack something else. Basically it would be a back up piece.
DAxx wrote:There was a rhythm to the beating wings of brilliance, can't you hear it?
There is terror in the heart of your silence, don't fear it, we will speak it clearly
Counting backwards into darkness from infinity, can't you hear me?

Return to “Bug Out Gear”