Updated survival neckchain.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Updated survival neckchain.

Post by Woods Walker » Wed May 21, 2008 5:41 pm

I added a new item to my survival neck chain. The chain now has the following gear items.

1. Yellow paracord.
2. LMF firesteel.
3. Princeton Tec LED light.
4. SAK Classic SD.
5. Whistle.

The knife is small but not looking to add too much bulk.

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pag ... duct=53005&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This chain is mostly worn on my neck or attached to the PFD when using the kayak. The reason being I need access to the whistle. Other than that I tend to keep it inside my pocket. Good to have a little extra that is separate from my main pack just in case it goes MIA.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Re: Updated survival neckchain.

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Wed May 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Nice! I have all of those items and need to make one up myself!

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Thu May 22, 2008 5:05 am

Woods Walker wrote:Image
Looks good, although I would seriously consider adding a break-away feature to the necklace itself. There are obviously any number of senarios where the necklace could become snagged onto something with your head inside, resulting in anything from a nasty friction burn to a broken neck.

Jim

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Thu May 22, 2008 1:07 pm

WW I like the para chord color. I was going to get the orange for mine later on. As I know you have seen mine all I would add is a button compass. You know best what you want and need on that though. Thanks for sharing, it is what got me to make mine and it has seen a lot of use. I would not have put one together otherwise.

DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu May 22, 2008 4:16 pm

No question that I will be adding a little compass. I just need to find one small enough that works.

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Thu May 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Check around and you might find a compass that designed to be put on a wrist watch strap. That would be small enough and have a slot so you could slip it right onto the lanyard.

We shall not sleep..."

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Thu May 22, 2008 9:10 pm

Woods,

CTD has this one, that has a thermometer, magnifying glass, whistle, and compass, here.

I was actually looking at the same exact one today at Gandor Mountain (they just opened a brand new store in my town), and they looked pretty nice. I was going to buy one when I go back, but now see that CTD has it for less than half of GM's price, at around $9.99, IIRC.
Hope this helps!
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Thu May 22, 2008 9:29 pm

DTOM,
I bought this same one at Wal-Mart for about $5. After trying everying to start a fire with the lens I gave up. The wistle works, the thermometer froze then boiled and is broke. The compass does seem to point north.
FWIW,
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu May 22, 2008 10:26 pm

Oh poop. I was gonna say that looks like a very nifty little whistle thing, but if it all broke that sucks.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu May 22, 2008 11:28 pm

Paragon.

I hear your cry but this is something that I really don’t want to drop. The few times it is around my neck I place the thing under my shirt. On a personal level I don’t like anything on my neck so 99% of the time this is in my front pocket the paracord looped around my belt or placed in a jacket pocket than zipped. The yellow cord is more so I can find it if dropped and when combined with boot laces offers a bit of cordage incase separated from my pack.

DTOM.

That looks good but I have never been a fan of those multi thingy gadgets. I need a compass that is a little bigger. Those little tinny button compasses sometimes get stuck than spin around when tapped. Happened to me once when I was about 20 miles from the nearest town. It was a holly shit moment.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri May 23, 2008 11:22 am

WW, I found a nice little Brunton compass last year that I really like, I keep it on a piece of 550 cord too. It's smaller than a pocketwatch.

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I paid I think $9 for it at a surplus store. It's light, tough, and most importantly, true and steady.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Fri May 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Crypto, I have 2 of those. They work like a charm!

One is a glow in the dark model, which is handy when trying to find your way around in the dark.
Last edited by TheLastRifleMan on Fri May 23, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We shall not sleep..."

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Fri May 23, 2008 1:32 pm

I may get to Sportsman's today and I'll be looking for one to add to mine. I am going to rethink my neckless/keychain as a result of this thread. WW makes me do that a lot. :)
DK

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Fri May 23, 2008 7:44 pm

Woods Walker wrote:I need a compass that is a little bigger. Those little tinny button compasses sometimes get stuck than spin around when tapped. Happened to me once when I was about 20 miles from the nearest town. It was a holly shit moment.
I have a liquid-filled Silva Forecaster on my supplemental wilderness keychain.

The compass is approximately 1 3/8" in diameter, and as you can see is very easy to read. There is also a thermometer, as well as a wind chill conversion table on the back. The whole thing is only about 1/4" thick, and weighs 13g.

Jim

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat May 24, 2008 12:33 am

Paragon.

Nice little Keychain. I use the same SAK.

Ok I purchased the below compass and LED light combo. It is about the same size as the whistle and a little over ½ oz. I like the fact the LED light can separate from the compass.

http://www.highgear.com/prod/ZLED74.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Removed the Princeton Tec keychain light as it is now redundant. I was thinking about replacing the SAK Classic SD with my Kershaw 1710 but decided against this as the little 1710 is often with the EDC. I tested out the compass today during a short 2-mile hike. Used a friend’s GPS compass as a base line. Seemed to be fairly accurate. Will take it out on a 7-mile hike later Saturday and compare it to my Silva Polaris or Suunto M-2. I think Silva now calls this the field 7. Don’t know the reason for the name change. The M-2 is probably the most overall liked compass I have ever owned. I know testing a silly little compass sounds like OCD but no gear is packed without field testing. I will post some photos of the neckchain after the final testing.

I am going to hold the line at 5 items. These should give me basic navigation, fire, knife, signaling and 3 feet of paracord in a fast easy package.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Sat May 24, 2008 9:20 am

Paragon:

I see that you have that sweet Swisstech multitool.... I love mine, but it hasn't seen much heavy use yet, though. (Since I tend to be a fanatical Leatherman-on-the-belt kinda guy).
Experiences with the Swisstech?
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat May 24, 2008 7:27 pm

I took out my warm weather pack and did some testing of the new compass/LED combo. I nearly forgot how comfortable the summer pack is during warm weather. :D I did about 9 miles.

Here is the finished survival neckchain.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Sat May 24, 2008 8:09 pm

Any reason not to use a Leatherman Micra?
Also, I find a Fox40 whistle a little smaller.

-fenris-
"How quickly a man takes on the qualities of darkness. Men who live by night; the soldier, the thief, the traveller by night, the vagabond... theirs is a different way of thinking, and they do not fear the dark nor what may come upon them by night because they themselves are of the night, a part of it." ~louis lamour

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat May 24, 2008 8:36 pm

I considered one and tested out a friend's. Found it too heavy. Sure it is a little under 2 oz but didn't like the extra weight on my neck.

Paragon

Post by Paragon » Sat May 24, 2008 9:24 pm

Lucretius wrote:Experiences with the Swisstech?
It appears to be well made, in that there isn't any slop in it. It was actually a stocking-stuffer that I received several Christmas' ago, so I figured I'd put it to use.

The blade wasn't super sharp originally, although I've since introduced it to my Sharpmaker (I don't use it enough to know if it will hold an edge very long, although I rather doubt it). I've used the #1 Phillips to fix a pair of sunglasses, and the bottle opener to drain my share of Corona's.

I also have a Swiss+Tech Micro-Pro XL that is on one of my other supplemental keychains, and I have been pleased with that as well. I wanted something with pliers just in case I didn't have my Leatherman (Charge) handy, and all the mini Leathermans I looked at seemed to be overpriced considering what they were (I think I paid ten bucks or so for the Swiss Tech).

Jim
Last edited by Paragon on Sun May 25, 2008 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Sun May 25, 2008 1:28 am

Thx Paragon.

The reason I carry the Swisstech is exactly that of glasses. Of course I carry a spare part in the BOB, but if I get separated from that, the ability to repair glasses seems to go high up on my priority list. Thus, the Swisstech on the keychain.

Could be a fluke, but I've got a really sharp edge on mine, but as you say, it probably won't last past much use...

Btw, I like the look of those pliers, haven't seen them before. Seems like a good backup option.
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”