Teaching Bugging out

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

blazeben

Teaching Bugging out

Post by blazeben » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:08 pm

I am taking out a few teens to teaching them some basics. I am going to put a.... well you can say a shelling of a BOB (basics).I will put some of it together then let them fill it from there. I will be there as well as a good buddy of mine. We have well stocked ours and I just maxed out my First aid kit (spent most of my spare money from my pay check lol). I am here to ask what all should I put in there shelling of a BOB but I am trying to leave as much as i can to them. Thanks.
FlatlinesUp wrote:I got worms from Apollo. :shock:
Jeriah wrote:.....up close this thing is TERRIFYING.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

tilt

Post by tilt » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:27 pm

The things you stock for others should be things that are pretty universal or can be purchased in bulk for a savings. For example, purchasing a spool of 550 and cutting 100 foot lengths is a good idea, as there is really only one supreme 550 cord and spools are cheaper in the long run. Another good call would be Nalgene bottles. Maybe HeatSheets and similar items...

Leave custom items up to the individual. This will let them pick items that they will like and thus be inclined to keep with them.

Hope that helps
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:38 pm

tilt wrote:The things you stock for others should be things that are pretty universal or can be purchased in bulk for a savings. For example, purchasing a spool of 550 and cutting 100 foot lengths is a good idea, as there is really only one supreme 550 cord and spools are cheaper in the long run. Another good call would be Nalgene bottles. Maybe HeatSheets and similar items...

Leave custom items up to the individual. This will let them pick items that they will like and thus be inclined to keep with them.

Hope that helps
Thank you for the ideas but I spent a lot of money on medical supplies lol ,So I'm trying to spend as least as I can. I am planing on getting two thermal blankets per person, I am just going to give them a few Poweraid bottles that I have from drinking at work (yes there clean lol) it's free so that helps. But 550 will be to much so i will plan on using ducktape and cheap cord. Thanks you talking even if you think I will already have it it's helping to talk it gets me thinking. Thanks.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

Grace

Post by Grace » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:56 pm

If the 550 cord is out of your budget, then suggesting throwing in a standard-sized Mora at $10.50 a pop is probably too much as well. If you buy them start knives down the line, though, I'd definitely go with the Mora.

The Mayday and Mainstay 3600-calorie ration bars are around $5-6 each. I don't know if that's too much, but it's cheap , particularly by survival food standards, and both are popular in BOBs.

If you don't mind putting some time into it yourself, you can make some free supplies, like printing off some identification sheets for wild edible plants in your area, or looking into the various soda can alcohol stove designs.

Hope some of these helped. You have my utmost respect for volunteering your time and funds for this. It sounds like a fun project.
I think a good gift for the President would be a chocolate revolver. And since he is so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him real quick and give it to him.

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:34 pm

Grace wrote:If the 550 cord is out of your budget, then suggesting throwing in a standard-sized Mora at $10.50 a pop is probably too much as well. If you buy them start knives down the line, though, I'd definitely go with the Mora.

The Mayday and Mainstay 3600-calorie ration bars are around $5-6 each. I don't know if that's too much, but it's cheap , particularly by survival food standards, and both are popular in BOBs.

If you don't mind putting some time into it yourself, you can make some free supplies, like printing off some identification sheets for wild edible plants in your area, or looking into the various soda can alcohol stove designs.

Hope some of these helped. You have my utmost respect for volunteering your time and funds for this. It sounds like a fun project.

Thank you as well. Now some of that is OK on price but I may not have the time for shipping. The 3600 food I can get it at my friends place but it's like $8.00 a piece and we may not use up all that energy. I do have mine in my BOB. I do have a few pages of edible plants in my area and I have a few stoves I made a year or so back that i will give them to keep. One of the bad things about this is timing cause this is five different people to set this up. Thanks but this is more for me in a way lol. I get to go out and have fun and there is not much funds lol. Thanks again.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

AlphaMMA

Post by AlphaMMA » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:54 pm

Fire
Shelter
Water
Food

What type of area is the bugging going to take place in? Desert, Temperate forest, Swiss Alps, New York City?
EDK| EDC | BOB | IFAK
^ coming soon

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:58 pm

Alpha420 wrote:Fire
Shelter
Water
Food

What type of area is the bugging going to take place in? Desert, Temperate forest, Swiss Alps, New York City?

Temperate forest, thick with a river close by. Any other details I should say let me know.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:30 pm

Bump. I have about two weeks.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

kzu750
BANNED

Post by kzu750 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:45 pm

Water purification tablets. Most likely Katadyn MP1 - 30 pack is roughly around $12.00 and you can split them amongst the BOB's. Great and cheaper than a filtering device per person.

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:49 pm

kzu750 wrote:Water purification tablets. Most likely Katadyn MP1 - 30 pack is roughly around $12.00 and you can split them amongst the BOB's. Great and cheaper than a filtering device per person.
I have two ways of purification; potable aqua tablets and chlorine tablets. Thanks. I just remembered I need to find glow sticks too at a good price. Talking helps but i need to get more money lol.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

congochris

Post by congochris » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:10 am

Try your nearest dollar store. Picked up a bunch there 2 for $1. Granted, I haven't tested any, and I know they're not 24 hour sticks. But something that works for the hours of darkness is better than nothing. And unless you're way north, night time doesn't last 24 hours. :lol:

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:15 am

congochris wrote:Try your nearest dollar store. Picked up a bunch there 2 for $1. Granted, I haven't tested any, and I know they're not 24 hour sticks. But something that works for the hours of darkness is better than nothing. And unless you're way north, night time doesn't last 24 hours. :lol:
I have and none there the cheapest ones I can find is $2.00 each which is a little more than what I am hoping for.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:33 pm

blazeben wrote:Bump. I have about two weeks.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:59 pm

I just started to plan out the days and nights. What are somethings I should teach them and let them do and some things I should do myself (things that take good equipment etc...)?
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:38 am

How many kids will you have with you?
Do they have experience outdoors or will this be the first trip?
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:59 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:How many kids will you have with you?
Do they have experience outdoors or will this be the first trip?
There will be five, One goes hunting but none of them have a lot of experience in the woods besides with a RV.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Assuming the spool of paracord I bought from Gunny shows up in time, I will send you a couple 100' and some glow sticks. PM me your address.

Would you rather have a 50' piece for each of them, or one long piece?

Before you go, work on setting up the tent(s) in somebody's back yard, and some fire building skills (assuming you're building a fire; that's restricted in many state/federal forests in TX)
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:36 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:Assuming the spool of paracord I bought from Gunny shows up in time, I will send you a couple 100' and some glow sticks. PM me your address.

Would you rather have a 50' piece for each of them, or one long piece?

Before you go, work on setting up the tent(s) in somebody's back yard, and some fire building skills (assuming you're building a fire; that's restricted in many state/federal forests in TX)

PM inbound,I'm not sure what ever you wont to do I have no problem cutting it myself. We will have a fire endless we get high winds. Thank you for doing this.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:45 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:Before you go, work on setting up the tent(s) in somebody's back yard, and some fire building skills (assuming you're building a fire; that's restricted in many state/federal forests in TX)

How should I let them try to make fire? I don't think I'm going to make them to a fire drill it takes me a bit. Maybe three matches and they gather there wood? Maybe with magnesium? I am just trying to give them the most out of this.
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:24 pm

blazeben wrote:
phil_in_cs wrote:Before you go, work on setting up the tent(s) in somebody's back yard, and some fire building skills (assuming you're building a fire; that's restricted in many state/federal forests in TX)

How should I let them try to make fire? I don't think I'm going to make them to a fire drill it takes me a bit. Maybe three matches and they gather there wood? Maybe with magnesium? I am just trying to give them the most out of this.
You should show them however you would do it. Blast Match, magnesium, whatever. They don't need to own their own stuff at first; skill is more important that hardware. Nursing the kindling into a fire is the big skill, no matter where your sparks come from.

blazeben

Post by blazeben » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:34 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:You should show them however you would do it. Blast Match, magnesium, whatever. They don't need to own their own stuff at first; skill is more important that hardware. Nursing the kindling into a fire is the big skill, no matter where your sparks come from.
OK, I will do. Anything else I should add to the learning?
Working on a NEW! BOB
My FAK
My EDC
Teaching Bugging Out

cauldron

Post by cauldron » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:49 pm

blazeben wrote:
OK, I will do. Anything else I should add to the learning?
Building a debris shelter.

Cotton Kills.

Stay dry = stay warm

You could get a box of 55gal trash bags and teach shelters and ponchos and such. They wouldn't have to be contractor 3mil for teaching.

Choosing a site to camp. No hilltops, No creek beds, No hanging snags above you.

Field sanitation. How to poop in the woods. How to keep clean.

You could have fun playing 'hide and seek'. Great bug-out skill!

Have fun.
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

111t

Post by 111t » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:49 pm

You could try to have them make simple alcohol stoves. Dirt cheap.

http://zenstoves.net/Templates.htm#3ozAluminum
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

The Syndicate

Post by The Syndicate » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:56 pm

Dick's has coleman brand 12hr light stick's for a buck each.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”