Woods Walker’s E&E.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Woods Walker’s E&E.

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:50 pm

Woods:

I am thinking about something like this, but for urban use. Thank you for this post.

ROCK6
Favorite Zombie Movies: Still working on it!

Post by ROCK6 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:58 pm

Kifaru used (do they still offer it?) an pretty neat "piggyback" rigging that was both simple and quick to detach or attach. My main BoB is a Kifaru EMR with a piggybacked Kifaru Scout. The Scout is pretty expansive in it's own right and I can easily load it as a 72-hour bag. I do have to keep contents trimmed to a more minimalistic E&E level when attached as the balance can throw you off if you over pack the Scout and attach it to a fully loaded EMR.

Maxpedition use to make the "Devil Dog" should/lumbar bag. This is the perfect size for attaching to more traditional backpacks and make a great detachable E&E bag as it offers enough room for the basics.

For most distance trips these days, my essentials are in my HPG Kit Bag. If I even have to ditch my pack or just feel like leaving it behind in camp while fishing or scouting, I can carry the essentials with me pretty much 24/7.

ROCK6

echo83

Post by echo83 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Woods Walker,
Thanks for sharing this setup! I'm especially intrigued because this bag looks like it meets the same specifications as the USGI assault pack.

My current BOB is the USGI MOLLE II in woodland; I have the main ruck and frame (generation 4) and the sleep system carrier. The only missing component is the assault pack, so I bought a small pack from CTD to use as my GHB and have used two carabiners to attach it to the MOLLE main ruck. https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product ... rom=Search

Does anybody know if that Kifaru would be compatible with the buckles on the MOLLE II pack? (The MOLLE II only has two female buckles on it.)

acropolis5

Post by acropolis5 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:53 pm

Nice design. Great choice of carrier & weight discipline. I get that it's part of a larger "whole", but if you have to grab & go it is your whole kit. With that thought in mind, you may want to consider adding a sil-tarp poncho, 2AA flashlight ( lithium batteries), enhanced first-aid kit. A water purifier from Seychelles or Katadyn that will filter common ag chemicals. No offense, your FAK is woefully thin. Checkout any reliable wilderness first aid book.
Obviously, your kit is rural oriented. If you would like to look at a real urban E & E kit, you may want to check out my 10/9/12, thread titled , "Critique my EDC/GHB Bag". I would appreciate your comments, since it is apparent you not only "talk the talk, you walk the walk".

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:09 am

echo83 wrote:Woods Walker,
Thanks for sharing this setup! I'm especially intrigued because this bag looks like it meets the same specifications as the USGI assault pack.

My current BOB is the USGI MOLLE II in woodland; I have the main ruck and frame (generation 4) and the sleep system carrier. The only missing component is the assault pack, so I bought a small pack from CTD to use as my GHB and have used two carabiners to attach it to the MOLLE main ruck. https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product ... rom=Search

Does anybody know if that Kifaru would be compatible with the buckles on the MOLLE II pack? (The MOLLE II only has two female buckles on it.)
Would need to know the size of the buckles but it will dock and lock on MOLLE webbing.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

ROCK6

Post by ROCK6 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:34 am

acropolis5 wrote:Nice design. Great choice of carrier & weight discipline. I get that it's part of a larger "whole", but if you have to grab & go it is your whole kit. With that thought in mind, you may want to consider adding a sil-tarp poncho, 2AA flashlight ( lithium batteries), enhanced first-aid kit. A water purifier from Seychelles or Katadyn that will filter common ag chemicals. No offense, your FAK is woefully thin. Checkout any reliable wilderness first aid book.
Obviously, your kit is rural oriented. If you would like to look at a real urban E & E kit, you may want to check out my 10/9/12, thread titled , "Critique my EDC/GHB Bag". I would appreciate your comments, since it is apparent you not only "talk the talk, you walk the walk".
Many confuse E&E for a bugout or bug-home sized bag and capability. True E&E is quite sparse. The FAK for instance is either a small boo boo kit or a minimalist blowout FAK. Many of the wilderness first aid recommendations are often designed from group expedititions. There is always a certain amount of risk when putting together a minimalist or E&E kit together.

E&E doesn't need an escape or evasion scenario. This type of small breakaway secondary kit is handy for many situation where lugging your main pack around just is not feasible. Scouting, forging, hunting, checking snare and trot lines, doing reconnaissance, collecting water, etc. Back in my old patrolling days, we often cached our main packs and did ambushes or assaults with just our fighting gear and a small butt or patrol pack. These are what I would consider a 72-hour bag, either to E&E out of a danger area or make it back to your main pack. They are very handy once you venture off trail and away from camp.

ROCK6

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:05 pm

If I transitioned or staged my main pack, I would transfer my E&E kit to a patrol bag, or throw it over my shoulder. I don’t think there is a guide somewhere that dictates what size or weight capacity is used to determine what name you use for your bag. For instance, if you use your inch bag to get out of town for a weekend of camping does it mean that you can never go home? In SERE School, we were issued a small piece of parachute. E&E means that someone is trying to capture or kill you.

Most military training posits that when you E&E you are trying to create space between yourself and an enemy while denying detection and trying to link up with friendlies. For this reason, the idea is what you can grab and run. Put simply, get away from the bad guys and link up with the good ones. Old timers, in the movie Revenant for instance, call it a “possibles” bag or pouch.

I always used an old claymore bag and a fixed blade knife. Your fighting gear, always worn on the body, would likely include many of the things you need to keep you alive but if you could grab your E&E bag you make this certain. In my mind, once you have added clothing, healthy snacks and special sleeping gear your focus is not on hauling ass to link up with friendlies. But I don’t care what word is used. (Déjà vu – finding my old pictures of my E&E bags used all over the internet).

Still, if I talk to you at a bus stop and you are carrying your MARPAT pack to work every day and calling it your E &E bag, that’s cool.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

ROCK6

Post by ROCK6 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:51 am

Asymetryczna wrote:
Most military training posits that when you E&E you are trying to create space between yourself and an enemy while denying detection and trying to link up with friendlies. For this reason, the idea is what you can grab and run. Put simply, get away from the bad guys and link up with the good ones. Old timers, in the movie Revenant for instance, call it a “possibles” bag or pouch.

Still, if I talk to you at a bus stop and you are carrying your MARPAT pack to work every day and calling it your E &E bag, that’s cool.
There are definite differences between military E&E and that term used for a civilian SHTF situation, but I fully agree with you and the relevance is still applicable. Avoiding detection and evading an "enemy" are just good practices to be discreet, not attract attention and should reinforce that (especially for a bug-home/out situation), you should be avoiding a firefight.

Some hardcore types build their EDC as an E&E kit; others a small break-away pouch. I've seen several variations myself and once you get outside military channels, they range even further. I think the mindset is more important than the kit, but the term E&E can even be applied to evacuating a mall that has an active shooter, so the concept application can and should be modified for the situation and "mission".

ROCK6

Return to “Bug Out Gear”